Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,233 members, 7,807,776 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? - Events (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? (16304 Views)

What Are You Going To Do Differently In The Month Of March? / What Would You Do Differently If The Hand Of Clock Was Turned Back? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by PrinceJoe1(m): 3:16pm On Nov 06, 2012
I think the simpler d wedding, d less mistakes dat would be made. I hate bougous weddings
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by WhyAWhy(m): 3:30pm On Nov 06, 2012
For one I don't understand the stupid rationale behind Aso ebi and worse still the equally stupid need to give out gifts to those who bought ??!!! Na una de put yourself for wahala oh

1 Like

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Nov 06, 2012
Firstly, I wouldn't have done my wedding in the UK. I did so because of my husband's family and ended up having only my parents attend. None of my siblings came as they were all writing exams in school at that time.

Secondly i wouldn't have hired the greedy Nigerian mulatto that catered that day. Her price was exorbitant and she served my guests as if they were begging for the food eventhough less guests than were expected came.

Thirdly, hmmm Now, my chief brides maid. well, she didn't commit to making my dress look flawless from behind. my dress had a long train and i had to pull it with me as I went to the altar a lot of times.

Finally, alot of people were drunk on that day, which made me realise that we bought far more drinks than necessary, trust Nigerians, I saw some shamelessly stuffing their bags with bottles of wine and cans of soft drink and beer.
too much huh? My anniversaries will be better thought out.
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Ramcie(f): 3:34pm On Nov 06, 2012
WhyAWhy: For one I don't understand the stupid rationale behind Aso ebi and worse still the equally stupid need to give out gifts to those who bought ??!!! Na una de put yourself for wahala oh

Serious wahala my dear. have made up my mind not to distribute Aso-ebi.
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Ramcie(f): 3:36pm On Nov 06, 2012
[quote author=prettiest1][/quote]

Aso-ebi also known as Anko . Same attire worn by people during occasions .
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by dmy(m): 3:46pm On Nov 06, 2012
uhmmmm....Reminds me of my wedding this year
1.It was held in ilorin and we underestimated the number of guests.Thought people wouldnt come cos of the distance.Planned for 300 guests but over 500 showed up(mainly guests of my parents)my friends and collegues there no reach 20.weddings these days are more of a parents affair.
2.We held it at an outdoor venue and it threatended to rain.Meenn see prayers.Na dat day i know say if plenty people pray together God go answer.My wife nearly cried but e no rain eventually.Thank Goodness.Would have held it at an indoor venue
3.the Generator of the musician messed up and nearly marred the dancing.It eventually picked up.Luckly we had a backup musician.Should have got a DJ(I later learnt that the 2nd musician "STEPPED ON" the Gen....Naija Style
4.Too many people buy aso ebi so gifts no go round......
5.Foooodd.MEEEEen even with 2 cows,fish,everything.food no reach.I guess cos more people than we expected came.
All in All i Thank God for making it a Wonderful and Beautiful Day.and for my LOVELY WIFE TOO.....

3 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by SELFWORTH: 3:47pm On Nov 06, 2012
a1solution: so a Nigerian should hire foreigners just because of wedding? Does people from other countries know Nigerian culture so as to organize the wedding properly?

Can you read? Please read my posting again.
I said do not hire Nigerian professionals who do not understand the basics of customer service . I should have included this includes being able to read properly!
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Nov 06, 2012
I can never stress it enough that having a cheap wedding is possible and economically sensible with a very good event planner.

We handle events of all types efficiently, and take care of the minutest details(waste removal, guests' accommodation, security, valets), and always work with the client's budget.

I went for a wedding recently, and the bride was crying bitterly because the groom's people refused to eat (the food was badly prepared), the generator just stopped, the photographers were fighting, and it was raining.

How could I have helped if I was hired?
*you hire a trusted hand. Caant go into the details here, but as a rule, all food types should be ready before 10, so if reception is 12pm, and the food is bad, the caterer will be held responsible(unless she can remedy it, which is usually possible)

*a back up gen, extra fuel, a technician who is fast and efficient very close by

*use members of the same outfit. They'll be too bothered about their commissions to fight.

*water-tight canopies and leather tent coverings, then lightings to brighten up the dark tent.

Always get an event planner. Like me!

2 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by pweeryambre: 3:51pm On Nov 06, 2012
My cousin and her husband totally left food arrangement in d hands of one hired woman dat looks more like a bouncer,along wit her team. she kept shoutin at piple and were so stingy in sharin d food,I for one, ate one tiny leg of chicken with amount of rice dat measured abt 5 scoopes of spoons. It was horrible.and at d end. One big (ite ona) pot of egusi soup got stale, along with 3 coolers of fried rice, and lots of semolina wrapd in celo bag where just in heaps lookin at us. I say its better to leave wedding plans in hands of relatives who knows better than a total stranger.
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by abiolag(m): 3:55pm On Nov 06, 2012
It was on d last saturday of d month which happen to b a sanitation day and d programme was delayed due to d enviromental.D chairs and canopies arrived soo late making it very difficult to start on time.
D DJ also had problem with is generator @ first that also delayed d Imam to start d Nikkah.D prog eventually started around 3pm and we forfeited some important things we'v planned.
All-in-all people still talk about it as 'one of d best' they'v attended
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by lolaluv1(f): 3:57pm On Nov 06, 2012
Op, this is a good avenue for learning.

I'm not hitched but I learnt from a wedding I attended that a bride should get professional vendors by herself and not leave other people in charge of important things like the photography.
Someone said his contribution to the couple was a photographer. The photographer ended up managing 'film' throughout the wedding.
'E jor, take the brides snapshot', her dressers would beg as they dressed her.

'Ko si film o. Mi o le waste film', the photographer would mutter petulantly.

Imagine such nonsense happening in this world of digital photography we live in!
Today, she has still not gotten her wedding pics. It's almost 2 years after....

The bride's friend that did her makeup seemed to have the singular objective of making her look bad. See piles of poorly applied makeup on the poor bride's face. The 'makeup artist' also screamt at the bride as she did the makeup. Smh! Even if it's the last thing you do, keep frenemies far away from you on your big day!
The caterer sef, na another story.

Please, get professionals to give quality service.
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by sigba(f): 4:04pm On Nov 06, 2012
pweeryambre: My cousin and her husband totally left food arrangement in d hands of one hired woman dat looks more like a bouncer,along wit her team. she kept shoutin at piple and were so stingy in sharin d food,I for one, ate one tiny leg of chicken with amount of rice dat measured abt 5 scoopes of spoons. It was horrible.and at d end. One big (ite ona) pot of egusi soup got stale, along with 3 coolers of fried rice, and lots of semolina wrapd in celo bag where just in heaps lookin at us. I say its better to leave wedding plans in hands of relatives who knows better than a total stranger.
My dear, i no even know where to stand on cos i vowed not to involve family members on Item 7 after the experience i had frm my friend's wedding, it was her family members that wre serving the food and drinks, u need to see how food was flying over our heads on big trays carried by my friend's fat fat aunties, serving their husbands, kids and their guests, some people ate more than once while other'ss didnt eat anything, it was really bad. If possible on my wedding day i'll stand up and serve cos i want everyone to eat to their full.

3 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by ohisola(f): 4:05pm On Nov 06, 2012
[b][/b] neva pay workmen their complete mony until after d wedding. ♍γ̲̣̣̥ brother's wife mad d mistake of payin d decorator d complete mony n guess wat she only covered lik 100 out of 500 chairs. Didn't finish d design @ d couples stand and left out so many tins dey had bargained on already.

Always ensure u hav more meat and drinks dan d no u я̲̣̥ planin 4. Pple wil naturally eat little rice wit good piece of meat, bt neva muc rice witout meat. Learnt dat also @ d wedding.

Lastly mak sure d pple u hired 2 perform one role or d other я̲̣̥ professionals nt friends, colleagues, church members and wat hav u, cos wen dey mess up, u can't giv it 'hot' 2 dem grin grin

1 Like

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Michymi: 4:09pm On Nov 06, 2012
ypzilanti: All this obsession with weddings.

We see pictures on facebook, on twitter, in news paper pages. They all look sweet and beautiful.

Now how I wish people could post pictures of their marriages.

Smh.

if u have nothing to say just keep quiet, nothing wrong with the question.

1 Like

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by cuteonyii(m): 4:20pm On Nov 06, 2012
Amen Joan: I shd have included an only cash gifts note in the invitations. I still have a room full of glassware & other non essesntials that I may not exhaust in 5yrs. I shd have cut down on party favours, though I plan to give out the rest for our anniversary.

And you dont know what charity means..? abi?
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by oldlord(m): 4:20pm On Nov 06, 2012
i would have hired professional to cook and share food at d reception. it cost a lot of confusion using your relatives and friend
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Yemak74: 4:29pm On Nov 06, 2012
[quote author=prettiest1][/quote] aso ebi means same set of clothings mostly ankara by almost all d participants, frends of groom nd brides, relatives of both party put on d same cloth
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by crusufixo(m): 4:30pm On Nov 06, 2012
The feeding aspect. I forgot to designate someone from my wife's family to cater for them. as a result of this oversight, many of my wife's peeps did not eat that day. Many of them complained bitterly afterwards and i really felt bad. But hey, what has happened as happened. Its being 4months now. Though, i sometimes think about it and which that i could go back and correct this oversight.
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Pimples(m): 4:36pm On Nov 06, 2012
I am yet to wed...however from one wedding that I attended I'd say...make sure everyone of importance in the bride's family is in agreement with the wedding otherwise... The couple planned to pay the bride price earlier in the morning and the wedding would commence around 12 noon. But 2 old men (uncles) kept on poking holes in the whole engagement process time after time such that by 4:30pm they were yet to commence the wedding...that day was totally messed up...the food had gone so cold...the program was rearranged...many guests had gone home...they were just rushing to take some pictures b4 it got dark...I Can't remember when I eventually got home that night
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Richtronix(m): 4:41pm On Nov 06, 2012
5. hired a church videographer missed most of the important shots and stopped the video to chase a babe.
grin grin grin

Great point.That happens a lot with London DJ's and camera men. Very unprofessional.

2 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by timbros(m): 4:41pm On Nov 06, 2012
Hmmm now let see, what should i have done differently...

* I should have listened to wifey to hire an emcee instead of using my friend who volunteered to do it for free. sad

uhmmm what again? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

My wedding was a wonderful one. Small wedding (just 100 cards shared) but boy, we had a blast! DJ was so awesome, nobody gree go again...even me that doesnt know how to dance danced sotey my suit was soaked all over with "heat" lol...

Come March, my anniversary will still be the same way!

8 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by jephiano: 4:52pm On Nov 06, 2012
Some people have implied planning your wedding yourself is an excercise destined for failure. Well i beg to differ. I planned and executed my wedding plans with the assistance of my wife, family and some wonderful friends and i can say it was definitely a resounding success.
1. My work takes me out of town for two weeks every month but we arranged weekend meetings when i was around.
2. We assigned duties to committed, mature people; we divided the hall into 5, assigned each segment to someone and got people to work under him to share food drinks and souvenirs.
3. My wife and i butchered the list of prospective invitees until we got a manageable number...the turnout was just ok and everyone got to eat.
Alot of other factors came together to make it a success. The compliments we received that period where just too many......i'm the last child so the level of organization seen in my wedding earned me respect from my siblings. I feel we were quite fortunate with somethings and we thank God for his support. Infact i remember telling my best man at the end of the day that i just got another reason to believe God exists. GOOD WEDDINGS DO NOT COME BY CHANCE.
PS. I am enjoying the marriage o....its a massive upgrade on the wedding.....to Jah be all the glory.

3 Likes

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by BecaciaBarbie(f): 5:00pm On Nov 06, 2012
Awwwwwwh! interestn comments!
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by malontee(m): 5:05pm On Nov 06, 2012
grin
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by jephiano: 5:07pm On Nov 06, 2012
timbros: Hmmm now let see, what should i have done differently...

* I should have listened to wifey to hire an emcee instead of using my friend who volunteered to do it for free. sad

uhmmm what again? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

My wedding was a wonderful one. Small wedding (just 100 cards shared) but boy, we had a blast! DJ was so awesome, nobody gree go again...even me that doesnt know how to dance danced sotey my suit was soaked all over with "heat" lol...

Come March, my anniversary will still be the same way!
enjoy my brother. I trust my 'JW' bro to arrange his wedding wella....

1 Like

Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by deols(f): 5:13pm On Nov 06, 2012
lola.luv:
Op, this is a good avenue for learning.

I'm not hitched but I learnt from a wedding I attended that a bride should get professional vendors by herself and not leave other people in charge of important things like the photography.
Someone said his contribution to the couple was a photographer. The photographer ended up managing 'film' throughout the wedding.
'E jor, take the brides snapshot', her dressers would beg as they dressed her.

'Ko si film o. Mi o le waste film', the photographer would mutter petulantly.

Imagine such nonsense happening in this world of digital photography we live in!
Today, she has still not gotten her wedding pics. It's almost 2 years after....

The bride's friend that did her makeup seemed to have the singular objective of making her look bad. See piles of poorly applied makeup on the poor bride's face. The 'makeup artist' also screamt at the bride as she did the makeup. Smh! Even if it's the last thing you do, keep frenemies far away from you on your big day!
The caterer sef, na another story.

Please, get professionals to give quality service.

at this age of digital photography?
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by sugar001(f): 5:19pm On Nov 06, 2012
1st of all I paid for a customized wedding gown. I should ve created time to shop for my gown instead of going online.. The gown arrived about four days before the wedding nd it was rubbish. Plus I ordered my bridesmaid's gown on line...when they arrived, I realized that seeing something in real life is different from seeing on the Internet.
Hubby insisted on patronizing his colleague @photographer ad video coverage . My hubby insisted that he wanted to cut cost. Who am I to argue? Guess what? They showed late.
Plus I arrived in the church too early. They were just sweeping . "sighs".
Time to take group photograph, cars had parked and blocked the space we decorated for group photograph. Came out of the church and started looking for where to stand and take pictures. Finally, we gave up and went for the reception. Hmmm! @item7. Most of the food we paid for wasn't served in the hall. Or rather 'wasn't eaten by our guest' at the end of the day, my husband 's people accused my people of hoarding food. ( meanwhile my people they complain say them never chop as I pay caterer.)
Did I mention that I collected my wedding pictures and video 7 months after the wedding and of course it was poorly executed.
What hurts me most is that I paid for the service of a famous wedding planner . Forgot to mention@decoration... I asked them to use navy blue, but the used sky blue so my bride's maids used a different shade of blue from decor and cake.
If I had the chance to it all over, I would plan my wedding by myself.
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by rayo2002: 5:22pm On Nov 06, 2012
deols: Not married yet but was a part of a family one not long ago.

the mistake we made was putting people from outside(kinda professionals) in charge and they couldn't give family members who thought they deserved better attention the attention they needed.

Also family members couldnt quickly get something for their late friends..things went too professional grin

Next time, I'd want certain things kept aside for members of the family and others who did the up and down runnings.

A wedding planner isn't supposed to "take over" they're supposed to "take charge".
They should organise the event as the client wants and offer suggestions to make things run smoothly.
The client too should communicate their ideas on time and in a concise manner.
If u want some family members to be given special attention, tell your planner ahead and give him/her a list.
Also, assign a family member to assist and ensure that the planner cooperate.
That way things don't get rowdy and your family members feel special too.
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by dominique(f): 5:45pm On Nov 06, 2012
Amen Joan: I shd have included an only cash gifts note in the invitations. I still have a room full of glassware & other non essesntials that I may not exhaust in 5yrs. I shd have cut down on party favours, though I plan to give out the rest for our anniversary.

true, i wish we had a gift registry like its done in the states but most people will likely abuse it. Those gifts were just all over the place. had to regift most of the china/glassware along with a couple of blenders.
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by landinfo: 5:52pm On Nov 06, 2012
Mad Cow: [b]First and foremost:

1. Location, location, Location.. Easy to find and comfortable.. I have seen weddings end early because people started leaving because it was too hot, or the rains came (Outdoor) or a strong wind pulled down the Marquee..

2. Food & Drnks.: There is no such thing as too much food & Drinks at a wedding.. No protocols to the feeding as well.. F`uck 'Item 7', let your guest alway have something to snack & Drink on from start to finish.. If you estimate 10 guests, buy drinks for 30.

3. Music: OMG!!! I always advice a Live band and a D.J.. Bad music = Bad Wedding

4. Services: Please hire adequate waiters.. 1 waiter to 10 guests maximum. They should be well mannered and effiecient.. No favouritism.. Everyone gets the same things..

5. Alco-F`ucking-hol: I cant stress this enough.. Alcohol loosens up your guests and gets you an amazing party.. Create a seperate area for your church people, but make sure people have what they want to drink..

6. Power: ALWAYS HAVE ATLEAST 1 back-up Generator.. If you can, 2 back-up Generators..

7. GET AN EVENT MANAGER/PLANNER.... NEVER EVER TRY TO PLAN YOUR WEDDING YOURSELF>>[/b]
guy all dat u listed cost mo#i...Y spend much onli 2 rigret later ehn!
i'm nut married o but u should know dat 65% of married couplez are nut hapi cos of the wasted expenses
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by obongGODAkpan(m): 5:54pm On Nov 06, 2012
Not yet married but intend to only arrange for drinks and suya( all types) no invitation, no train, no decoration, no MC, nothing inshort except abundant drinks and suya that can last a week. Reception will be my garden. Copying useless and wasteful culture.
Re: Wedding Mistakes ~ What Would You Have Done Differently? by Chitos(f): 5:56pm On Nov 06, 2012
* I regret allowing my sister-in-law and her hubby to be 'D SPONSORS' @ my Catholic/Church Wedding. * Two years after my wedding, she confronted me by expressing her bitterness of total hatred for IJEBU people. She later threatened to send me back to my father's house. *Thank God for His Mercies and for His Wisdom over my husband. I don't have any regret marrying an Igbo Man.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wishing A Happy Birthday To Two Lovely Ladies: Sisi Jinx And Karmamod :) / Bola Tinubu Celebrates His 69th Birthday Today / LIVE PICTURES FROM TECNO SPARK MEGA PARTY IN LAGOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.