Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,894 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:11 AM

All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! (42616 Views)

Jobs For 3rd Class And Pass Graduates / 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop / Vacancy For 3rd Class And Pass Graduates. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by Mbechun007: 1:51pm On Nov 06, 2012
After spending two, four, six or even many more years in a tertiary institution, you’ve finally graduated. Congratulations! Right? Well, yeah, but. There’s a but, you came first from behind, you came out with a third class or worse still, a pass. Hmmm!

If I tell you I know how it feels, I’d be telling you a big fat lie. What I do know however, is what results like that can do to the psyche of the average graduate. Add that to the paper driven mentality of the Nigerian employer and you have enough grounds to wallow in perpetual self-pity. Thing is, I won’t allow you do that to yourself; there’s a way out, so keep the faith yeah?
Speaking from the perspective of someone who recruits, every time I stumble on a CV with 3rd class or Pass I find myself wondering ‘So what were they doing in school? Where they that unserious, that unintelligent? Even worse if it’s a lady because the immediate thing most people will think of is ‘Hmmm. Aristo’. She was too busy dating rich men! Forgive me, but that’s how the society works. No Trial, no conviction. You’re hanged at the gallows before you have the chance to sneeze or say your name.

From experience I know a lot of factors can play out and make you end up with such embarrassing scores. You didn’t like the course so there was very low interest, it wasn’t what you applied for that you were given, but having stayed at home for four years, thanks to jamb, you decide, ‘you know what? Let me just go to school!

You were victimized by the HoD who wanted to sleep with you and couldn’t have his way.

You hated Math and ended up studying computer science or never really liked English as a subject but ended up studying literature.

It could also be that you had siblings to look after, so you schooled and worked, infact, you worked more than you schooled, so your grades suffered.

Or you weren’t just cut out for school but went anyway ‘cos you think that’s the only way to get a job.

Whatever the reason, here you are, with very poor prospects in a very competitive market. In the words of an applicant who approached me with this same predicament, you may ask: Do I even stand a chance? Cheer up. The answer is an unwavering yes!

Yes because, whatever you believe will eventually become your reality. Yes, because education is more than a degree, it’s the sum total of what you’ve learnt in and outside the classroom. Yes because employers will pay for value, irrespective of where they get it, yes because in a way history has favoured your kind. Remember Wole Soyinka, Bill Gates; Steve Jobs and our very own Steve Harris? Yes because your destiny is in your hands and you can create the future you want to see. Stop waiting for things to happen to you. Make things happen!

How? Simple.
Understand that it starts with your mind. Uh huh! No one can make you feel inferior without your permission. If you feel unintelligent, then you are. If you feel inferior to graduates who came out with better grades, then you are. If you feel there are no jobs for people like you, then there aren’t. Start by cleansing your mind of all the toxic and negative thoughts your experience and conditioning has put it through. Think of only what is bright and beautiful.

Assess yourself. What are the things you like to do? What skills do you possess? What’s your personality type? What kind of work will you thrive in? If money or opportunity or your grades were not a challenge, what would you be doing? Allow yourself to think and dream big …
You do have more to prove than other graduates because of your background so you have to go out of your way:

Read like your life depends on it.

Go online and look for free e-books, materials that you can download and consume. Offer your services free for a period of time, to a company within the industry where you want to work. Ask them for an objective assessment at the end of that period.

If you can afford it, learn a vocational skill; keep yourself busy and productive so you can account for your time when an employer asks.

Be honest to potential employers about why your grades are poor and ask for a chance to prove your mettle.

Start a business if you have the wherewithal.

Get professional certification and join industry associations. It expands your network.

Attend employability trainings so you can understand the secrets of successful job hunting.

Experience is critical if you want to get a job with those grades; so stay productive and focused.

Don’t get it twisted, a third class is not the end of the world; it could have been a lot worse, there are people who haven’t been and would never be in the four walls of a university classroom. Com’on, that’s something to be thankful for.

Finally, eat the humble pie. Pride and a third class don’t mix. Be teachable, flexible and ready to learn.

That’s all from me for today, have a fabulous week.

Naomi Lucas
GraduatePro

http://graduatepro./2012/11/06/you-graduated-with-a-third-class-so/

On Twitter/Facebook: @GraduatePro, /GraduatePro

85 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by yuzedo: 3:40pm On Nov 06, 2012
I started reading this, I was gonna troll the thread, or say sumn like "I'm reading but I didn't get a 3rd class, does that make me disobedient".. Then I realised the article had substance, not the normal corny crap inapplicable in everyday life. A rich, relevant body of work?? shocked impossible! angry And then the author was revealed. And I understood why. grin

I'm proud to know Naomi Lucas personally! Fantastic lady..! I strongly endorse her GraduatePro initiative. And say, Mark her name, she is the Future of Nigeria I tellya! Bless your heart Miss.. kiss

7 Likes

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by princetotos: 5:12pm On Nov 06, 2012
y is 9aj lik des kw job 4 2.2 graduate what of 3rd class if so d shd nt giv people grade dat kils.
Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by NwaTeacher1: 6:38pm On Nov 06, 2012
Currently there is no job 4 1st class grdauate. 4get about looking 4 job and make jobs 4 urself. I'm into noodles business but i graduate with 2:1. Where do u see white cola job
Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by Areaboy2(m): 6:38pm On Nov 06, 2012
princetotos: y is 9aj lik des kw job 4 2.2 graduate what of 3rd class if so d shd nt giv people grade dat kils.

if u got 2.2, i will not be surprised undecided

2 Likes

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by onthefence: 6:39pm On Nov 06, 2012
The 2.1s and 2.2s aren't getting the jobs either.
Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by DANILSA(m): 6:43pm On Nov 06, 2012
GUD INFO MY LADY smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by Nobody: 6:44pm On Nov 06, 2012
onthefence: The 2.1s and 2.2s aren't getting the jobs either.
abi oo
Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by sisqology(m): 6:46pm On Nov 06, 2012
Area_boy:

if u got 2.2, i will not be surprised undecided

Well, that does not mean he is not brilliant grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by Iaz93: 6:48pm On Nov 06, 2012
wow. . .wow. . .wow
cool

1 Like

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by Chyko4spe(m): 6:55pm On Nov 06, 2012
Thanks naomi. U r so on point. Job hunting in this country, even with a 1st class is not funny. With a 2.2 u don't even get invited for job tests. the pressure and trauma from family alone is enough to kill d individual.
While getting certified doesn't always come cheap, its actually a very good step in d right direction for people that have not too wonderful first degrees; then you can pick up from there.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by Ignatio(m): 6:56pm On Nov 06, 2012
God help us all in our nation.

1 Like

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by yommy2sure(m): 6:56pm On Nov 06, 2012
Saving the '3rdclassers' ....season one

1 Like

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by dartsidius7(m): 6:57pm On Nov 06, 2012
Nwa Teacher: Currently there is no job 4 1st class grdauate. 4get about looking 4 job and make jobs 4 urself. I'm into noodles business but i graduate with 2:1. Where do u see white cola job

collar.

1 Like

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by alaoeri: 7:08pm On Nov 06, 2012
Nice write up, Know of a 3rd class graduate of geophysics the guy switch to oracle programming & he's earning big now.

1 Like

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by nusirat(m): 7:12pm On Nov 06, 2012
Thanks for wonderful advise, I have a 3rd class in Electrical Engineering, and I belief that there is no impossibility, from I follow one of my friend to learn Electro Mechanic, today am employed by one of telecommunication company, belief in yourself and have confident God Bless Us All

2 Likes

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by salafiyy: 7:15pm On Nov 06, 2012
destiney lies with God...whatever you've goten God has a plan you

1 Like

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by dartsidius7(m): 7:15pm On Nov 06, 2012
she is right.
Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by sisqology(m): 7:16pm On Nov 06, 2012
Mbechun007: After spending two, four, six or even many more years in a tertiary institution, you’ve finally graduated. Congratulations! Right? Well, yeah, but. There’s a but, you came first from behind, you came out with a third class or worse still, a pass. Hmmm!

If I tell you I know how it feels, I’d be telling you a big fat lie. What I do know however, is what results like that can do to the psyche of the average graduate. Add that to the paper driven mentality of the Nigerian employer and you have enough grounds to wallow in perpetual self-pity. Thing is, I won’t allow you do that to yourself; there’s a way out, so keep the faith yeah?
Speaking from the perspective of someone who recruits, every time I stumble on a CV with 3rd class or Pass I find myself wondering ‘So what were they doing in school? Where they that unserious, that unintelligent? Even worse if it’s a lady because the immediate thing most people will think of is ‘Hmmm. Aristo’. She was too busy dating rich men! Forgive me, but that’s how the society works. No Trial, no conviction. You’re hanged at the gallows before you have the chance to sneeze or say your name.

From experience I know a lot of factors can play out and make you end up with such embarrassing scores. You didn’t like the course so there was very low interest, it wasn’t what you applied for that you were given, but having stayed at home for four years, thanks to jamb, you decide, ‘you know what? Let me just go to school!

You were victimized by the HoD who wanted to sleep with you and couldn’t have his way.

You hated Math and ended up studying computer science or never really liked English as a subject but ended up studying literature.

It could also be that you had siblings to look after, so you schooled and worked, infact, you worked more than you schooled, so your grades suffered.

Or you weren’t just cut out for school but went anyway ‘cos you think that’s the only way to get a job.

Whatever the reason, here you are, with very poor prospects in a very competitive market. In the words of an applicant who approached me with this same predicament, you may ask: Do I even stand a chance? Cheer up. The answer is an unwavering yes!

Yes because, whatever you believe will eventually become your reality. Yes, because education is more than a degree, it’s the sum total of what you’ve learnt in and outside the classroom. Yes because employers will pay for value, irrespective of where they get it, yes because in a way history has favoured your kind. Remember Wole Soyinka, Bill Gates; Steve Jobs and our very own Steve Harris? Yes because your destiny is in your hands and you can create the future you want to see. Stop waiting for things to happen to you. Make things happen!

How? Simple.
Understand that it starts with your mind. Uh huh! No one can make you feel inferior without your permission. If you feel unintelligent, then you are. If you feel inferior to graduates who came out with better grades, then you are. If you feel there are no jobs for people like you, then there aren’t. Start by cleansing your mind of all the toxic and negative thoughts your experience and conditioning has put it through. Think of only what is bright and beautiful.

Assess yourself. What are the things you like to do? What skills do you possess? What’s your personality type? What kind of work will you thrive in? If money or opportunity or your grades were not a challenge, what would you be doing? Allow yourself to think and dream big …
You do have more to prove than other graduates because of your background so you have to go out of your way:

Go online and look for free e-books, materials that you can download and consume. Offer your services free for a period of time, to a company within the industry where you want to work. Ask them for an objective assessment at the end of that period.

If you can afford it, learn a vocational skill; keep yourself busy and productive so you can account for your time when an employer asks.

Be honest to potential employers about why your grades are poor and ask for a chance to prove your mettle.

Get professional certification and join industry associations. It expands your network.

Attend employability trainings so you can understand the secrets of successful job hunting.

Experience is critical if you want to get a job with those grades; so stay productive and focused.

Don’t get it twisted, a third class is not the end of the world; it could have been a lot worse, there are people who haven’t been and would never be in the four walls of a university classroom. Com’on, that’s something to be thankful for.

Finally, eat the humble pie. Pride and a third class don’t mix. Be teachable, flexible and ready to learn.

Naomi Lucas
GraduatePro

Well, you have spoken. But the fact is; here in Nigeria, students are not been thought well, most students lack practicals and experience which is very bad. We have most gurus amongst the whites because the learning environment is very conducive and nice, also they do lot of practicals. Additionally, we are too overpopulated here in Nigeria, how do you expect people to gain in class when the class overpopulated and not conducive?

To me: nobody in this world of ours is not brilliant, its just that the rate and how we gain is different from each other. Some people can learn very well and pass by themselves, some can not do that and yet, they are not been taught well. How do you expect them to pass? Its not their fault. Its the country.

1 Like

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by interbiz2(f): 7:19pm On Nov 06, 2012
There are no jobs not only in Nigeria, even the so called 'advanced' countries are suffering just like us. Thanks Naomi we have to look beyound our paper qualification and start making somethings for ourselves.
Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 06, 2012
In as much as Noami has given a good counsel to those that graduated with 3rd class and pass, let this not be an encouragement or excuse for present students to relax and not study hard or not stay focused in school hoping that even if they graduate with 3rd class or pass tomorrow, that they wiLl still make it since Wole Soyinka, etc made it and since Naomi a recruiter said there is hope for 3rd class and pass graduates...pls o always strive for excellence in whatever you do in life, and when it happens, let nature, God and your hardwork do the magic for u cos if u intentionally relax and get a poor result, nature will surely not smile at u o. All the same, goodluck to unfortunate 3rd class and pass graduates smiley

5 Likes

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by vislabraye(m): 7:32pm On Nov 06, 2012
That grade is a stigma. People get to judge others when they hear that grade. Some times schools do fcuuk people up people.
Any way life continuess.
Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by Odunharry(m): 7:38pm On Nov 06, 2012
Mbechun007: After spending two, four, six or even many more years in a tertiary institution, you’ve finally graduated. Congratulations! Right? Well, yeah, but. There’s a but, you came first from behind, you came out with a third class or worse still, a pass. Hmmm!

How? Simple.

Naomi Lucas
GraduatePro
nice words
Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by Curiouscity(m): 7:40pm On Nov 06, 2012
Nice piece of writing. Her suggestion of continuous self development is applicable to all classes of degrees if U must stand out.
Our university system promotes copy-cats, quote and pass. U meet someone with even 2-1 who can quote all the theories in his field
but does not see how it is applied to real life.
Nigerians have enslave themselves with the mentality of paper qualification. Must everyone be a graduate to have a gainful employment?
Our government should re-design our system to recognize skill learned in a non-formal(out of school) settings.

Finally, some students who have the capability to get higher grades should work hard and stay focus. More than 50% of those who had 3rd
class or pass would have done better if they had define their priorities.

2 Likes

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by Anyi3(m): 7:46pm On Nov 06, 2012
dartsidius7:

collar.
He's prob writing in short form. Don't be an I too Sabi.
Before you attack me too I know how to spell probably.

3 Likes

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by SirMethod: 7:57pm On Nov 06, 2012
1st class only end up making u think u hv known all. 2~1 gets
u satisfied and qualified. 2~2 humbles u n gets u to alwayz wanna learn sometin else. 3rd class humiliates u n gets u to alwayz wanna do sometin else. A pass gets u to deny u were there, it confirms ur mistake. U must do something else with a Pass cert in ur shelf. One thing they all hv in common is that they are other people's assessment of u, u know who u truely are. Don't get urself twisted coz of that paper.

20 Likes

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by Lildav: 8:00pm On Nov 06, 2012
[s][/s]Hmm......that lady is gifted! She is the kind,nigeria/nairaland needs and not all the insult learning programs some people run on nairaland!

1 Like

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by 2sizzlin(m): 8:04pm On Nov 06, 2012
currently i'm on my i.T, an engineering student.probably i may graduate with a 2.2 or 2.1 i don't really care.If i graduate with a 2.2 i can boast of being very much ahead of most of my classmates in terms of engineering knowledge.Presently i know relevant books i need to read (a lot doesn't yet) after graduation which no one has ever mentioned in the school, you only hear about them from practising engineers.90% of the time grades are just masks, it's unfortunate that's what the white collar companies care about they need to start looking beyond that.
Most ppl attended soft schools,while some were lucky to be in a department with sane and true lecturers (lecturers who can pass the exams they give us if they should sit for it).sometimes girls wanna go through school looking ugly because of some dirty old men and some insane young lecturers who mistaken a university for a free red light district.Girls i feel for some of una the good ones.It's even funny some gay lecturers have started showing up, real funny, well i recommend they listen to M.I's somebody wants to die Well Jesus Christ taught me not to be anxious of tomorrow, i don't let it worry me and it has never failed me. Exam has never been the true test of knowledge.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by Blackteeth(m): 8:12pm On Nov 06, 2012
If you got a third class and you are a guy, you just need to start shaving with gillette. lol

2 Likes

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by tonyicez: 8:12pm On Nov 06, 2012
nice write up.

1 Like

Re: All Third Class, Pass Graduates Should Read This! by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 06, 2012
Keep your head up believe in yourself though I must confess I missed some rare opportuinities based on my gRade. But today am employed as a project manager and I also have my business. You are the architect of your life just don't give up.........

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

9mobile Is Currently Recruiting – Apply Now / How Much Does An Entry Level Graduate(teller) At UNITY Bank Earn? / He Spent Over N6m For Masters In U.K But Regretting It Because No Job Yet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.