Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:46 PM

Is Golf 4 (manual Gear) A Good Buy? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Golf 4 (manual Gear) A Good Buy? (6193 Views)

What's Your Opinion On Jumping Gear 4( Manual Drivers Only) / Golf 4 Manual Gear Issues / How Is GOLF 3 Fuel Economy When One Uses AC 24/7? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Golf 4 (manual Gear) A Good Buy? by dkdigits(m): 5:47pm On Nov 06, 2012
Thinking of getting a car soonest, and had decided on getting a golf 4,manual gear, 1.6l,i4.. Is this a good choice, I mean what are the cons... I was told that golf 4 usually have electrical issues, don't know if said issues are restricted to the auto gear varieties. Pls auto gurus, and those who might have used golf 4 pls advise. Thank you.
Re: Is Golf 4 (manual Gear) A Good Buy? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 06, 2012
No more electrical issues, than with any other car. These issues arise, when folk used to running a 1994 Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla on a budget, upgrade to a late model car, and expect these vehicles to respond to the same trial and error "mechanics." Buy your VW Golf IV, use a decent garage for your repairs, and you'll be fine.

I would avoid the 1,6 5-speed manual though. The weak point was the rod-change gearbox. This gearbox was inherited from the VW Golf II and III base models, with only the addition of hydraulically-operated clutch the only upgrade. The differential crownwheel is held in place by small rivets. These break free, and if failure occures at 60 mph or more, these little rivets smash holes in the differential housing. A poor design which was adequate on the much lighter VW Golf II & III, not so good for the heavier Golf IV.

I would advice you go for a 1,8 / 20 model. These use the much more robust, and trouble-free cable-change manual gearbox. These don't go wrong, and will handle up to 300 bhp / 410 Nm. It's beyond this power level things can start breaking, but with a 1,8 (125 bhp) 2,0 (115 bhp) you'll have no problems.
Re: Is Golf 4 (manual Gear) A Good Buy? by dkdigits(m): 8:36pm On Nov 06, 2012
Tanx boss, ur enlightening response is appreciated...I'l keep it in mind while making a choice.

1 Like

Re: Is Golf 4 (manual Gear) A Good Buy? by arixreal: 6:15pm On Nov 09, 2012
@siena please am interested in c-class 2001-2004 model can I know the maintainance if is affordable car to maintain and the fuel consumption? Secondly about vw golf 4 manual and automatic which one is better to use that be strong because some told me that golf 4 usually have gear problem as in the automatic . Please I will be glad of my request is granted
Re: Is Golf 4 (manual Gear) A Good Buy? by Nature1989: 11:00pm On Nov 15, 2012
Pls sienna i want to buy 1998 golf 3 gti with dohc 2.0L engine full option but i want to knw how good and reliable this car is and what to check during purchase

(1) (Reply)

Honest Review Of This Toks 1999 Manual Tranny Honda Civic / 10 Facts That Involves Nigeria, Automobiles And Transportation / DTC Code P-2716: Corolla 2005-2007

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.