Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,633 members, 7,801,825 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

Mrs Somebody - Uche Jumbo At Her Funniest! - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Mrs Somebody - Uche Jumbo At Her Funniest! (4669 Views)

Mrs Somebody (play And Download) / Uche Jombo & Monalisa Chinda Attend 'Invasion 1897' Premiere / Nollywood Movie: Mrs Somebody (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mrs Somebody - Uche Jumbo At Her Funniest! by ijebabe: 6:22pm On Nov 06, 2012
I stumbled upon this video clip from Nollywoodlove's YouTube channel and it really cracked me up!!

Mrs Somebody synopsis
After a motivational speech from her pastor, a woman of marriageable age who is desperate to get married proceeds to purchase a wedding gown, in anticipation that her boyfriend will propose to her.
Starring Uche Jombo, Yemi Blaq, Kenneth Okolie and Directed by Desmond Elliot & Tomrobson

Now the clip below (1m 53s) and is kind of a spoiler if you haven't watched the film but it is damn hilarious! Enjoy while I log on to iROKO TV to watch the full movie.

Clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_C6St566Us

Movie Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNeglTuEZIA
Re: Mrs Somebody - Uche Jumbo At Her Funniest! by ijebabe: 1:43pm On Nov 07, 2012
I watched the movie and it didn't disappoint in terms of dialogue, Uche Jombo's performance, soundtrack and with one eye closed I'll add video quality.

I read a review from Nollywood Reinvented and I can say it's fair although a bit harsh on Uche Jombo.
http://www.nollywoodreinvented.com/2012/09/mrs-somebody.html

Rating: 7 out of 10

Story: [5 out of 5] At first sight, anyone who has seen the movie "Bridge of Hope" can immediately spot the blatant similarities between these two movies like the cast (Yemi Blaq, Barbara Soki and Morris Sesay), the house and the most obvious of them all, the name - Yemi's character is called Kufre in both movies. So I will take it that this is another incidence of the Double movies (See "For the Promise"wink. The thing about Double movies (i.e two movies made by the same people within a narrow gap of time) besides them being inherently obvious is that, it seems as though one movie (if not both) suffers for it and neither of the movies ever turn out as great as they have the potential to be. Story? I thought it was entertaining

Originality: [3 out of 5] It's a concept that we've definitely explored before... a million and one times. The originality for this movie comes mostly in the 'Kenneth/Belinda' dramas (let me not ruin it for you...)

Predictability: [2 out of 5] Didn't see the whole Kenneth/Belinda plot coming but that's pretty much all I didn't see coming

Directing/Editing: [3 out of 5] Oh bless your soul whoever is responsible for this movie's one-partology... May you get the opposite of all the curses Uche Jombo's character rained on Kenneth! There was, however, a misplaced scene within the movie. The scene where Uche and her friend go shopping and call Kenneth to pay afterwards was supposed to come before the living room scene in which the skinny girl is wishing that she had come to shop with Uche and friend.

Acting quality: [3 out of 5] Let's start off with the positives... Barbara Soki, gradually returning to the big screens, did an amazing job with her character (I sincerely pray for a mother in law like her character... say Amen for me abeg). Yemi Blaq was phenomenal as always and Uche did her role justice. The extras within this movie that were actually capable of acting, did a fair enough job (which is more than I can say about the extras in your average Nolly flick)

RAA seems determined to bring all of Nigeria's male models into Nollywood, what with Bryan Okwara in "I'll take my chances", Alexx Ekubo in "In the Cupboard", Uti Nwachukwu in "Broken Silence" and now Kenneth Okolie (did I forget anyone). From the moment he came on screen, all I could think was "I wonder who is the worse actor: Kenneth or Uti?" Why was I thinking that? Because, as I've said a million times over, I have an innate aversion to models turned actor. And this is mostly for good reason (i.e, the fact that I'm yet to see anyone of them that are actually good actors). Lest I derail though, in my opinion, Kenneth did a pretty decent job with the calm and collected scenes. I suspect that that's because that is his personality (and if it's your personality, then it's not really acting is it). The true test of his acting skills came in the scene where *SPOILER* Uche announced that she was pregnant. At that point, I adjusted myself properly in my seat and awaited his reaction (mainly thinking.. Uti or Kenneth; Uti... Kenneth?) In the end, the fact is that Uti and Kenneth are on two extremely opposite sides of the same plane: Uti overacts while Kenneth doesn't know what to do with himself (or his arms or his legs... he seemed very unsure of his gesticulations).

Bellinda Effah. I've never seen her in a movie before this one and I hear she is the lead in the upcoming Ibibio film "Kokomma" (well... now we know who won't be watching Kokomma). I felt she was a little too forceful and needed to ease up a little

Bobby Obodo, whose name has been popping up in Nolly-spheres ever so often, of late. Well, this is the first time I'm seeing him on screen (mostly because I like to carry last). First couple words out of him, all I noted was the accent and from then on all I could think was how the remaining 40 minutes of the movie would be torturous hell with this Jim Iyke wanna be. And then he said something. He said "Madam! Clap for yourself" Sans fake accent. Sans Americana. Sans funn-e. (Sans = without). Ehen! Nwoke mmadu, e bata go (Yes! My main man, it's now that you've landed). Let's just say that I would love him more if he would ditch the accent (be it real or fake) and stick to the mother tongue. As regards Bobby's acting (lifts arm up and wriggles wrist a couple of times). I felt it was a bit shaky and definitely still needs work but for some reason I didn't hate it, maybe because I liked the playfulness of the character he played.

Last but not least (o boy, this review long sha, my sincere apologies), Uche Jombo. See, I've seen Genevieve as the scary boss lady, the blind Godly sister, the devious sister in law, the perfect mummy's child, the poverty stricken hustler and so and so forth. And the thing is, I've seen an equivalent amount of Uche Jombo movies as I have Genevieve films, but (of course there's a big but) I have only ever seen two sides of Uche Jombo: "Uche the gra gra" and "Uche the pitied". I feel as though it's the same movies over and over again and I've never seen the character past Uche. What do I mean by this? I mean, I watch the movie and I see Uche as a desperate spinster, Uche as a maltreated wife, Uche as a TV show host but rarely ever the character. There's no moment where I see Kyra... just Uche! (make of that what you will). Extras were... mostly ok except for those who weren't!

Setting: [4 out of 5] Some of the sets were recycled: Yemi's house from "Bridge of Hope", Uche's house from "Broken Silence", the church set was the same as the hospital set in "Broken Silence" (but come to think of it... that church set though? Is that supposed to be a church abi kini? Thou kiddest me)

Costume/Make-Up: [4 out of 5] Again.. thou kiddest me with that baby bump

Props and Graphics: [4 out of 5] Ok

Video Quality: [4 out of 5] I saw this movie on irokotv and it was mostly pixellating at random times

Audio Quality: [2 out of 5] Needed to eliminate background noises in some scenes and fluctuating timbres every now and then

Soundtrack: [4 out of 5] by Slam and (even though I can't remember who the second person was, I liked the songs... not enough to stalk it on youtube and add an embed link but liked it regardless)

Musical Score: [4 out of 5] Generally on point except for scenes in which the sound effects seemed to have a slow reaction time... The mother suggests they visit a 'prophet' about their 'situation'. Wife yells no and you have to wait 5 seconds before the gong sound goes off

Memorable Lines:
"You're not exactly a spring chicken at 35, you know. Do you want your kids to call you grandpa?"
-Barbara Soki

UPDATE:

Alright, I'm tired of getting notes about this review so I'm going to clarify a couple things:

1) The review is not propagating the idea that Uche Jombo is incapable of acting. On the contrary, it's a plea for more diversity in her role choices.
2) Whether or not Bobby Obodo's accent is fake is inconsequential, my point is that he sounds a lot better without the accent and his acting seemed a lot realer without it as well.
3) And the Jim Iyke reference was simply a note of my immediate thoughts after I heard him speak first. If you read the review, it says "and then he said something" (make I teach una Engrish small)... the word 'then' signifies a shift in thought. As soon as he dropped the accent and said "Madam clap for yourself" all prior presuppositions were dropped.
(at that moment "old things [had] passed away and behold all things have become new"wink
Re: Mrs Somebody - Uche Jumbo At Her Funniest! by Mynd44: 1:58pm On Nov 07, 2012
this thing take style long oo
Re: Mrs Somebody - Uche Jumbo At Her Funniest! by VillageBoi(m): 3:41pm On Nov 07, 2012
Mynd_44: this thing take style long oo

The film or the write-up? Because the write-up is very well done and not too long IMHO.
Re: Mrs Somebody - Uche Jumbo At Her Funniest! by Mynd44: 5:01pm On Nov 07, 2012
VillageBoi:

The film or the write-up? Because the write-up is very well done and not too long IMHO.
The write up
Re: Mrs Somebody - Uche Jumbo At Her Funniest! by ijebabe: 5:28pm On Nov 07, 2012
It's not that long and you should be used to this by now wink
Re: Mrs Somebody - Uche Jumbo At Her Funniest! by Mynd44: 9:52pm On Nov 07, 2012
ijebabe: It's not that long and you should be used to this by now wink
I am not
Re: Mrs Somebody - Uche Jumbo At Her Funniest! by ijebabe: 12:38am On Nov 08, 2012
You know you are annoying shey? Mscheeeew!
Re: Mrs Somebody - Uche Jumbo At Her Funniest! by Mynd44: 12:39am On Nov 08, 2012
ijebabe: You know you are annoying shey? Mscheeeew!
I do and I apologise
Re: Mrs Somebody - Uche Jumbo At Her Funniest! by ijebabe: 1:59am On Nov 08, 2012
No worries smiley
Re: Mrs Somebody - Uche Jumbo At Her Funniest! by micki83(m): 11:14am On Nov 09, 2012
It's long,but beautifully written.perfect combo of wit,humour,objectivity and message-relay. Kudos to whoever did d review: simply professional! In fact,its so good that I'm gonna go read it again,lol.
Re: Mrs Somebody - Uche Jumbo At Her Funniest! by ijebabe: 11:54am On Nov 09, 2012
Hahaha! Enjoy

(1) (Reply)

SAKA (i Don Port Advertisement Video/audio Download) / Which Do You Prefer? Two And Half Men Vs Big Bang Theory / Why Is Gotv Not Showing Tuesday Night Champions League Matches?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.