Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:27 AM

Poem About Nigeria's Flooding - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poem About Nigeria's Flooding (1353 Views)

Let Us Write A Poem About Love Together / A Poem About Chinua Achebe's Death Written 23 Years Before He Died! / My Poem About "The Tempest World" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poem About Nigeria's Flooding by sirxris(m): 9:47pm On Nov 06, 2012
NIGERIAN FLOODING 2012!
By: Christian Okafor T. (23-10-12)
In the beginning, was so dark
Roaming three-sixty on no mark
A form with no Genesis form
Waving virginly with no storm.

But someday, it towered the ark
Wearing no mercy for a slack
A grace to the earth swiftly come
Gulping all fully as awesome.

To come and be gone, crept aback
Handsing up in its victory mark
A ruthless attack with no form
Filling mother earth for her norms.

All these I now recall aback
Pondering this my nation’s attack
Land formerly atop the form
Turning a mass below the form.

The formless form blew us as bad
Numbing us with its sudden wag
As grasses spring up in the morn
Wowing us in their being born.

http://www.poemhunter.com/christian-t-okafor/
Please, dear esteemed members do enjy the poem above and as well post your very welcomed comments and/or criticisms. thanks!
Re: Poem About Nigeria's Flooding by sirxris(m): 10:46pm On Nov 06, 2012
moderator, plz, send this topicc to the general page - cuz it's a hot topic for the moment in our country today. Nothing could be more itting than such a topic now our dear nation is beseiged by such a crisis. our nairaland people need to see and enjoy such a well-thought-out poem for the flooding. Thanks!
Re: Poem About Nigeria's Flooding by CrazyMan(m): 1:35am On Nov 07, 2012
Learn to be creative...don't copy and past someone else's poem.

If you must copy, do it logically and constructively.

As for the poem...its nice but if the truth be told, it looks very childish and irritating considering the purpose it was created for.

A poem on flooding in the country where lives and properties were lost, should be emotional...able to bring tears on the eyes of the readers.

This poem looks more like a rap music lyrics...no iota of mourning in the lines.

My advise...try re-editing the lines, and see what you can come up with. I'm sure you've got the talent in you...

Good luck.
Re: Poem About Nigeria's Flooding by sirxris(m): 5:06pm On Nov 07, 2012
While i appreciate u for ur criticism of d poem, hw kud u say that d poem was plagiarised? Hw kud u be that too naive and presumptuous?! Oh, u perhaps, think i couldn't rily come up wit such? Oh, what a CHILDISH, UNFEELING, comment that ws from u! I challenge u to ransack d net n all d shelves n if u see any synonym of d poem anywhere, then report me to d moderator.
Re: Poem About Nigeria's Flooding by CrazyMan(m): 5:37pm On Nov 07, 2012
sirxris: While i appreciate u for ur criticism of d poem, hw kud u say that d poem was plagiarised? Hw kud u be that too naive and presumptuous?! Oh, u perhaps, think i couldn't rily come up wit such? Oh, what a CHILDISH, UNFEELING, comment that ws from u! I challenge u to ransack d net n all d shelves n if u see any synonym of d poem anywhere, then report me to d moderator.
Its nice...you don't have to take it so personal...criticism makes you work harder

Its a nice poem...but try working on your lines. wink
Re: Poem About Nigeria's Flooding by sirxris(m): 1:55pm On Nov 08, 2012
@ crazyman, tnx a lot now. I'll show it to a few more people n then take a decision. Tanx again 4 ur criticism abt d lack of enough emotivity displayed in d poem.
Re: Poem About Nigeria's Flooding by mufex(m): 11:18pm On Nov 10, 2012
You followed simply rules of poetry....but the poem is too subtle....the lines, rhymes, rhythm were just too complex, rough; and it discourages readers from wanting to read more. But there is talent....you have talent! My advise is make your poems simple, and when read aloud it should sound like you are speaking to someone. Yours' had a good plot that arouses curiosity, but simplicity was lacking.

Finally stop imitating the Americans' poets. Because your poem is just like Alan Ginsberg's poems, but with rhymes, but I must admit that you have talent....keep practicing....practice! Don't be discouraged!!!!!
Re: Poem About Nigeria's Flooding by sirxris(m): 12:18pm On Nov 13, 2012
Tanx a lot, mufex, for your kind and candid words of encouragement and advice. Actually, the poem's diction was just as a result of the inspirations about the poem as at the time I wrote it. So, I had less option than just pen it down that same way.

(1) (Reply)

I Bet That Children Of Nowadays Never Knew This Struggle (photo) / My Life As An High Priestess. / Looking To Collaborate On A Script With Someone.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.