Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:38 PM

Lessons From The Us Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lessons From The Us Election (4204 Views)

Pictures : Lessons From Libya Before And After! / Nigerian Political Parties At War Over US Election / US Election: Result So Far From Ondo,kano,enugu. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lessons From The Us Election by Tunjman(m): 9:13am On Nov 07, 2012
1. PATRIOTISM: All Americans in front of the white house held/waved the American flag as soon as the result was announced. A guy displayed
placard with the inscription 'America is working'...The Nigerian flag would have been exchanged for either bunch of brooms or umbrella here and the inscription 'America is working' would have been 'Goodluck Shamed his enemies'

2.SPORTSMANSHIP: Mitt Romney never waited for 24 hours before accepting defeat and congratulating Barack Obama neither did the republican party declare 'observing the outcome of the election before taking possible action'...Here, the loser would have gone to the tribunal before the result is declared and even when court uphold the election of the winner, no congratulatory message will be sent across.

3.RESPONSIBLE MEDIA: Throughout the election period, US based CNN, the BBC, Aljazeera, Fox News and all other notable media around the world were all pre-occupied reporting situation across America...Our Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) would rather televise the osun oshogbo festival or the Argungu fishing festival.

4 Likes

Re: Lessons From The Us Election by bright007(f): 11:25am On Nov 07, 2012
Ok
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by freecocoa(f): 11:25am On Nov 07, 2012
We hear.
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by Lowkeys(m): 11:26am On Nov 07, 2012
WHAT ELSE
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by Johnpaul2k2(m): 11:27am On Nov 07, 2012
grin grin
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by Booty4me: 11:28am On Nov 07, 2012
5th to comment. Am not happy
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by Nobody: 11:29am On Nov 07, 2012
6th
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by Shieldjnr: 11:31am On Nov 07, 2012
6 learn to accept defit

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Us Election by sanchez4eva: 11:32am On Nov 07, 2012
Clap for yourself
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by solomonkane(m): 11:32am On Nov 07, 2012
*Yawns* Don't you guys get tired of recycling these old stuff? These are not the first elections held by the U.S.A and they won't be the last. If we have not learned anything from the old ones, what new things will the 2012 ones teach us?
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by Thok(m): 11:32am On Nov 07, 2012
So many lessons @op.. I marvel @ the wavelength of our reasoning atimes.
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by Kslib(m): 11:37am On Nov 07, 2012
One thing i learnt from the election...
We are not alone: in as much as we have high figures/personalities who try to act foolishly and refuse to accept defeat after an election,so does the US..
Eg: DONALD TRUMP
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by Nobody: 11:37am On Nov 07, 2012
I'm supposed to be sleeping lol. I read something interesting on Yahoo. Many of us were impatient with Romney as he was beginning to sound bitter about Ohio and took his time (well over an hour after he lost) to concede to the president. Anyway, he took the stage and gave a brief speech. According to his aides, he had no concession speech planned. Meaning? This was one of the few times we got to hear Mitt Romney speak from the bottom of his heart, the same heart I once deemed nonexistent. Mind you, his speech was a good one. I appreciated his kind words, especially when he said he would pray for President Obama to lead the US in the right direction.

This was good, but it gets better. Apparently, Romney had his people stream President Obama's victory speech on his website, www.mittromney.com. That is the epitome of class. Part of the reason why I've despised Romney in the last few months is because he sold his soul for a shot at the White House. The old Mitt Romney, of which I'm familiar, is far kinder and more human. I'm referring to the moderate Mitt Romney that drafted Romneycare into Massachusetts. He was there, just hiding. If the Romney we briefly saw tonight was contesting against President Obama, we may have had a different winner.

This was just to build on sportsmanship. I give him my respect for that.

2 Likes

Re: Lessons From The Us Election by Etumgbe(m): 11:37am On Nov 07, 2012
The difference between America and Nigeria is like trekking from maiduguri to morrocco
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by iamswizz(m): 11:38am On Nov 07, 2012
How does this change the fact that i Was disvir.gined yesterday

2 Likes

Re: Lessons From The Us Election by tunapawizzy: 11:42am On Nov 07, 2012
Lowkeys: WHAT ELSE

Re-elect the incumbent in 2015
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by remzytimer: 11:42am On Nov 07, 2012
ROMNY accepted defeat and congratulates the winner and wish him him best of luck in his admimistration other than promising to victimise the administration or going to tribunal
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by pendusky(m): 11:42am On Nov 07, 2012
iamswizz: How does this change the fact that i Was disvir.gined yesterday
Jobless?
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by Callotti: 11:48am On Nov 07, 2012
White Americans RRRROCKS any day, any time!!!! cool
Places like the racist UK should take note!!! cool
America is the best country in the world!!!!! cool
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by bola4dprec(m): 11:50am On Nov 07, 2012
What I observed here is that Nigeria and U.S shared the same in term of incumbent declared winners.
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by kaydibs(f): 11:50am On Nov 07, 2012
I wonder
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by capua(f): 11:51am On Nov 07, 2012
politics is not a do or die affair,our politicians pls take note.
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by kaydibs(f): 11:55am On Nov 07, 2012
Etumgbe: The difference between America and Nigeria is like trekking from maiduguri to morrocco
You shouldn't compare. America is wayyyy older than Nigeria. Its an un fair comparison. Still doesn't mean Ngr isn't trash tho
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by Blackteeth(m): 11:56am On Nov 07, 2012
Can we stop all these US-Nigeria comparisons for once?
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by mascot87(m): 11:57am On Nov 07, 2012
And how does it feel?
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by Slyp: 11:58am On Nov 07, 2012
na today,we ve always b learning lessons. abegi naija naaa..... nor let me talkooo
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by Blackteeth(m): 12:00pm On Nov 07, 2012
kay dibs:
You shouldn't compare. America is wayyyy older than Nigeria. Its an un fair comparison. Still doesn't mean Ngr isn't trash tho
Nigerians were there 500 years before the british came. Only difference was we were not called Nigeria
Re: Lessons From The Us Election by ochukoccna: 12:01pm On Nov 07, 2012
kay dibs:

Yeah right
Go over the border to Ghana and see losing candidates conceding defeat tongue tongue
I recall listening to a lawyer on TV once saying he entered a law bookshop in the UK and was told they had no texts/books on election tribunals
Yet such tribunals is always a big pay day for Nigerian lawyers seeing they are the ones who goad on the politicians even before the results are announced embarassed embarassed
Mtscheew grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Us Election by yemstok(m): 12:16pm On Nov 07, 2012
If USA was Nigeria, today's headlines would read:

· Don't celebrate yet, Romney tells Obama (TELL magazine)
[b]
· Concede defeat, Obama urges Romney (Punch newspaper)

· 20 opposition cadres riot (The Sun newspaper)

· Romney Demands Vote Recount (Vanguard newspaper)

· Elections rigged (Guardian newspaper)

· No evidence of manipulation (NTA news)

· The Church declares elections free and fair (News Line)

· There will be violence if we lose; Romney declares (LTV 8 news)

· Election results for Arizona awaited (Channels news)

· Trucks with suspected ballot papers crosses into USA from Mexico (Tribune newspaper)

· Romney is an opportunist - Go back to your farm (AIT news)

· I will not accept results, Romney tells Obama (STV news)

· McCain heads to Election Petition Tribunal (MITV)

· White Majority rejects results (PM News)

· Kenyan Big Boy Senator Obama Throws Lavish Party to celebrate Election Victory (City People)

· Free for all fight at Obama rally in Grant Park (Channels TV)

· Northern elders, Arewa and Sultan rejects results (ThisDay)

· Republicans and Democrats supporters clash in Ketu and Ajangbadi, 14 dead, Romney threatens more heads will roll

· The people behind Obama's victory: True story uncovered... Newswatch[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Lessons From The Us Election by Nobody: 12:32pm On Nov 07, 2012
yemstok: If USA was Nigeria, today's headlines would read:

· Don't celebrate yet, Romney tells Obama (TELL magazine)
[b]
· Concede defeat, Obama urges Romney (Punch newspaper)

· 20 opposition cadres riot (The Sun newspaper)

· Romney Demands Vote Recount (Vanguard newspaper)

· Elections rigged (Guardian newspaper)

· No evidence of manipulation (NTA news)

· The Church declares elections free and fair (News Line)

· There will be violence if we lose; Romney declares (LTV 8 news)

· Election results for Arizona awaited (Channels news)

· Trucks with suspected ballot papers crosses into USA from Mexico (Tribune newspaper)

· Romney is an opportunist - Go back to your farm (AIT news)

· I will not accept results, Romney tells Obama (STV news)

· McCain heads to Election Petition Tribunal (MITV)

· White Majority rejects results (PM News)

· Kenyan Big Boy Senator Obama Throws Lavish Party to celebrate Election Victory (City People)

· Free for all fight at Obama rally in Grant Park (Channels TV)

· Northern elders, Arewa and Sultan rejects results (ThisDay)

· Republicans and Democrats supporters clash in Ketu and Ajangbadi, 14 dead, Romney threatens more heads will roll

· The people behind Obama's victory: True story uncovered... Newswatch[/b]

LMAO grin

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Us Election by ubest1(m): 12:33pm On Nov 07, 2012
plz forward this info to tinubu ACN, buhari CPC weather them will learn

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anti Saraki O To Ge Ongoing Street Rally In Kwara. PICTURES / See What Transpired Between Two Agents In Kano Today / Thank You Southern Kaduna, Its Pure Obidient Enclave(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.