Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,223 members, 7,807,747 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:24 PM

Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. (21218 Views)

Photo!!! How Many Of You Have Experienced This / Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs / Technical & Brain Teaser Questions Asked During Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by nenergy(m): 12:41pm On Nov 07, 2012
Hello good people, i am working on a project and need inputs from this great forum.

I have heard of job interviews in which candidates were judged with unconventional methods. E.g At a job interview in Lagos,candidates were deliberately delayed then taken to a dining hall for lunch and were asked to serve themselves unsupervised.

Many candidates exhibited gluttony while others observed table manners.

Unknown to them the HRM and panel of interviewers were watching via CCTV. Many people lost the job. Please what other unconventional interview styles have you experienced or heard? Thanks.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 07, 2012
Bend down, touch your toes with your hands, and shake your tail before the panelist.

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by nenergy(m): 7:01pm On Nov 07, 2012
What?! HahahahaHaha. Thanks for your input smiley
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by 234GT(m): 8:30pm On Nov 07, 2012
@Wolex polytechnic, Abeokuta. The interviewer was eating roasted corn while interviewing me. He told me that my pay would be 4k per month. After the interview, about four of us who went for the interview went to price tokunbo cars. LWKMD!

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by nenergy(m): 6:14am On Nov 08, 2012
234GT: @Wolex polytechnic, Abeokuta. The interviewer was eating roasted corn while interviewing me. He told me that my pay would be 4k per month. After the interview, about four of us who went for the interview went to price tokunbo cars. LWKMD!
hmmm,that's really funny.lol

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by zibe(m): 10:47am On Nov 08, 2012
One of the top Nigerian owned oil companies.

Pre first stage: facebook things. We were told to add up the company's representative on FB. From that we were assigned to different groups on same FB. We got to know each other from there and discussed too.

1st stage interview: we were told to dress in "smart casuals", and the interview lasted for like 5mins.

2nd stage: told to come with our full traditional attire. 10man panel which was done in a kind of rotational way, where you're timed and you have to meet the next interviewer in 3mins. This means that in 30mins, you should have met the 10 interviewers. Points are deducted if you don't.

3rd stage: this was the only stage that looked like the normal interview, only that we were sent a mail a day to the interview on an assignment to submit. We were grouped in 8 and we had to meet our group memrs that same day. A guy flew down from kano that day in my own group. After presenting the assignment, we were then interviewed individually.

Didn't make it to the final stage but it was a really wonderful experience. Heard the final stage involved being lodged in a hotel on the island for a weekend. Lol

4 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by funkybaby(f): 8:23pm On Nov 08, 2012
zibe: One of the top Nigerian owned oil companies.

Pre first stage: facebook things. We were told to add up the company's representative on FB. From that we were assigned to different groups on same FB. We got to know each other from there and discussed too.

1st stage interview: we were told to dress in "smart casuals", and the interview lasted for like 5mins.

2nd stage: told to come with our full traditional attire. 10man panel which was done in a kind of rotational way, where you're timed and you have to meet the next interviewer in 3mins. This means that in 30mins, you should have met the 10 interviewers. Points are deducted if you don't.

3rd stage: this was the only stage that looked like the normal interview, only that we were sent a mail a day to the interview on an assignment to submit. We were grouped in 8 and we had to meet our group memrs that same day. A guy flew down from kano that day in my own group. After presenting the assignment, we were then interviewed individually.

Didn't make it to the final stage but it was a really wonderful experience. Heard the final stage involved being lodged in a hotel on the island. Lol

WTF !!!!
which ''top Nigerian owned oil company'' did this? shocked shocked
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by a1solution: 8:24pm On Nov 08, 2012
This topic is going to be interesting. Coming back for it.

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Nobody: 8:34pm On Nov 08, 2012
I have never been interviewed and never worked for anyone.

But a friend of mine who worked for a company said that during the interview, the interviewer ask him about his favourite kinds of music.

It was a casual kind of discussion and he was really surprised when he was told that the interview was over.

He got the job.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by vislabraye(m): 8:35pm On Nov 08, 2012
I was asked this question : " a good samaritan helped a man that was hurt. What is his efficiency ratio?"

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by duality(m): 8:40pm On Nov 08, 2012
funkybaby:

WTF !!!!
which ''top Nigerian owned oil company'' did this? shocked shocked

sounds like sahara

4 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Nobody: 8:41pm On Nov 08, 2012
It was an interview @ GE Nigeria, was the final 1:1 interview after a previous two. The interviewer kept pinging/ tweeting for most part of the interview...I felt like punching him, that was so so rude. angry
I have been on several interview panel as an hiring manager at my previous firm and never witnessed anything like that in my life. Did not get the job but was offered one a week later at a German firm on the island.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by dejiswaggs(m): 8:42pm On Nov 08, 2012
Omo this tread is gonna be the bomb!
Can't wait for the post that will be posted wink
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by chykeo1(m): 8:44pm On Nov 08, 2012
duality:

sounds like sahara

Confirmed!!! wink
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by LblaqueHaven(m): 8:45pm On Nov 08, 2012
grin
234GT: @Wolex polytechnic, Abeokuta. The interviewer was eating roasted corn while interviewing me. He told me that my pay would be 4k per month. After the interview, about four of us who went for the interview went to price tokunbo cars. LWKMD!
grin
LOL
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by funkybaby(f): 8:46pm On Nov 08, 2012
duality:

sounds like sahara

what a crappy recruitment method! undecided

the HR peeps must have lots of spare time on their hands.

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 08, 2012
first the interview started by 11pm and ended by 1.30am. The MD was dosing all the time and it got to a point that he got up and lay down on his examination couch to sleep (he's a medical doctor). After about 15mins i got up to leave but d sound of the door woke him up and he continued the interview exactly where we stopped(bargaining the salary)! I ended up sleeping in one of his empty patient rooms and left for home the next morning. Got the job, by the way...

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Catchfire1: 8:50pm On Nov 08, 2012
Mine was at a bar, a hotel bar to be precise. A form, which i think was the hardest thing i ever filled in my life (just thinking) was sent to me. Missed the deadline for submission by an hour and half, but was lucky to be called for the interview in PH the next day.

Still remember what my employer was eating "Oha Soup with Plenty plenty Goat Meat"...yeah i remember cos i was frea-king hungry, considering the fact i was on the road all day. Anyways he asked me a couple of questions, you guys should have seen me forming english with an accent. This is my 3rd year with the firm and i dont travel by road anymore grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Francheezy(m): 8:53pm On Nov 08, 2012
d!z !z fun!
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by sammily(m): 8:56pm On Nov 08, 2012
Mine was an interview with a bank on the Island. We reported at the head office since morning for the interview. We were ushered into a hall to wait. They never showed up till 8pm (over 10 hrs sitting down doing nothing).I've never been so hungry in my life before as we were not sure if we are allow to leave the hall or not. Anyway, I was interview by the HRM, she was just busy chewing gum, talking on the phone and just not paying attention to me all while I was busy talking. Had to take a taxi home that night.

To my surprise, I got the job. That was my first job after service, though had to exist about a year later, the bank is totally 'nut'.

2 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by LblaqueHaven(m): 8:58pm On Nov 08, 2012
vislabraye: I was asked this question : " a good samaritan helped a man that was hurt. What is his efficiency ratio?"
What's the answer or what was your response?
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Nobody: 9:00pm On Nov 08, 2012
If all the threads that make front page are like this, people will dream of Nairaland.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by mkoabiola: 9:05pm On Nov 08, 2012
sammily: Mine was an interview with a bank on the Island. We reported at the head office since morning for the interview. We were ushered into a hall to wait. They never showed up till 8pm (over 10 hrs sitting down doing nothing).I've never been so hungry in my life before as we were not sure if we are allow to leave the hall or not. Anyway, I was interview by the HRM, she was just busy chewing gum, talking on the phone and just not paying attention to me all while I was busy talking. Had to take a taxi home that night.

To my surprise, I got the job. That was my first job after service, though had to exist about a year later, the bank is totally 'nut'.
Wat's ur xperience in d banking sector?
U dd u exit d banking sector afta a year.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Catchfire1: 9:05pm On Nov 08, 2012
vislabraye: I was asked this question : " a good samaritan helped a man that was hurt. What is his efficiency ratio?"

the inverse ratio of the hurting man? undecided

5 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Basilona(m): 9:08pm On Nov 08, 2012
Keneking: Bend down, touch your toes with your hands, and shake your tail before the panelist.

LFMAO!!! What position did you apply for

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 08, 2012
Keneking: Bend down, touch your toes with your hands, and shake your tail before the panelist.

Did you audition for a hip-hop video? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Damojo: 9:26pm On Nov 08, 2012
My interview @ HaveSex bank was crazy! Met Aig @ abt 1am on a Sunday morning, nigga was sipping redwine and catchn trips on me! Not being desperate, I just freestyled and told him I was gonna transform his coy, he shook my hand and said 'welcome to havesex bank'
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by sammily(m): 9:28pm On Nov 08, 2012
mko abiola:
Wat's ur xperience in d banking sector?
U dd u exit d banking sector afta a year.

The bank job was quite interesting and challenging, but banking is not just me, had to make the switch when I got an engineering job (studied elect/elect eng.) Plus, the working hrs of this particular bank is sickening.
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by sashaa(f): 9:29pm On Nov 08, 2012
*subscribing*
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by mascot87(m): 9:40pm On Nov 08, 2012
This is going to be one of the best thread for the week but let me eat my oopa with kulikuli first,i will be back
Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by Chitexs250(m): 9:49pm On Nov 08, 2012
grin

This space is for interview

2 Likes

Re: Unconventional Job Interviews You Have Experienced. by DarryOsh(m): 9:51pm On Nov 08, 2012
i so freakin love dis thread

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

4 Steps To Getting An Amazing Job As A Graduate With 3rd Class Or Pass Grade / Anoh Gas Recruitment / Techno Oil To Create Over 1000 Jobs For Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.