Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,266 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:36 AM

Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. (14071 Views)

I'm Thinking Of Relocating To Dubai For Greener Pasture / Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by shapey(f): 7:31pm On Jan 31, 2008
Hello people,
My husband and i have been granted a canadian immigrant visa. Well,we are really not familiar with the place.I've never been there,but my husband has been there once.

I'll like candid suggestions on housing,job oppurtuinities etc. What's the crime rate like? Is it better than the UK?
We are looking at Vancouver,BC.We hear the weather is fair enough.

I'm looking forward to replies and people's personal experiences in Canada will help a great deal.

Cheers kiss
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by d1twista(m): 3:56am On Feb 01, 2008
help in coming over to you Uk, wants to come for studies, i have my money, but no true link
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by shapey(f): 8:55am On Feb 01, 2008
@d1twista

So what do you mean? I asked for suggestions and advice and not someone asking me to help him come over to UK!!!!! If you want to come here for you studies,all well and good,but pls do not involve me.

If you have no true links,then pls,getting a visa will be a bit tough.So think again about that. If i knew you,i'd have been of immense help. meeting someone on nairaland and helping him/her come over is a death wish. shocked

Have a good morning.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by d1twista(m): 10:24am On Feb 01, 2008
dont be too harsh, just asking you for ways, never want your help financially , i have money, so be calm,
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by shapey(f): 10:29am On Feb 01, 2008
okay,i'm calm, so what do you want from me?

I also need help as you can see. I'm asking people for advice too.

Let me know what you want to know.I just may be able to help you somehow.when i say ''help'', i dont mean giving you my papers to enable you get a visa,or inviting you to put up in my house.

so how may i help ,mr.Twista

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by mikkyangel(m): 2:22pm On Feb 01, 2008
hello shapy,got ur msg, well if ur goin to canada,ur on d right track, i"ve neva been there once but i tell u,its d most peacefull nation on earth, dey call it d white gold of d north.for a country dt is grossly underpopulated,i bet opportunies are neva in thout, to me canada is beta than uk, low tax,extrmly low crime rate,u get d opportunity to visit us,yeah,i intnd to raise my kids in canada, for now,am poland bound for my masters degree program,i intnd to switch to canada(dnt no hw,if u ask me),by d way,looks like ur based in d uk, cos i may need relable agents(for imigration purpose) in future, No slack oh,CANADA IS LUVLY
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by uspry1(f): 4:52pm On Feb 01, 2008
Congratulation both of you granted Canada immigrant visa! You both will get permanent residence in Canada very shortly to follow Canada immigrant procedures.

I never been in Canada, but i provide the following links you might investigate learning more about Canada itself at below:

http://www.vancouver.com/

http://www.migrationinformation.org/Resources/canada.cfm

If I was your shoe, I would assign a licensed Vancouver BC real estate who is specialized in residential house to meet your needs including neighorbhood/school/crime statistics report with computer skills allowing to have 360 degree video tour of house for both of you and your husband to decide to choose the house you want to buy by either phone or email.

Also both of you assign to research any opening jobs there at Vancouver BC to be applied for.

I hope your husband should completed his school earning degree FIRST before considering to relocate to Vancouver BC. (from your previous profile i read all your posting)

Again, wish both of you the best luck relocating to Canada. grin
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Ezinwannem: 5:10pm On Feb 01, 2008
I live in Toronto Canada and I love Canada so much, sum1 already have said it all, The city u r going to reside is nice just like anyother Canadian city and their weather is fair enough. But know that the population dere is 90 percent chinese if not more, you wont regret choosing Canada, start searching for jobs now and you wont have problems with housing and job cuz they have services to help you wen u get here, Good luck
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by shapey(f): 8:05pm On Feb 01, 2008
cheesy I'm so happy to get such great tips from all of you. This is an oppurtuinity of a life time and we intend to grab it.

thanks a bunch.Presently,we are in the Uk and the tax is killing us slowly.My hubby is a medical doctor and is preparing for exams-he'll be a surgeon soon by God's Grace. We heard from a few people that Vancouver was great,but housing is a bit on the high side,and things are remarkably expensive.

@ ezinwannem

How is Toronto?is the weather okay too,or is it worse? how about accommodation and schools for children(i intend to start a family soon). Most importantly how is the crime rate? I'd really like to know what Toronto is like,i've heard so much about it.

@uspry1
thanks so much for your advice.i'll get to work at once.I never even thought i could do that.I've logged on to the Vancouver.com and i love what i see. I'll get in touch with them at once.

@mikkyangel
thankyou. I will raise my kids over there as well.What's so good about the Polish education? Canada is better than Uk. About 6 couple we know here,three of them british have left for Canada.that was when we decided to give it a shot,and it came through.

thanx everyone,i appreciate it. kiss kiss kiss
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by mikkyangel(m): 9:50am On Feb 02, 2008
shapey,well its d cheapest i could come up with(for an MBA program),i wuldnt want to throw all my life savins on tuition fee for UK skools,bearin in mind dt am d one sponsorin myself,cost of livin there is not so expnsiv wen compared to oda parts of europe.besides its a double masters degree program,so i"ll get d luxury of choosin any of dem partner universties in germany,spain,france or d uk in my year 2.(*dts if i so wish).and more impotantly,threre ar lots of jobs for students threre.I"ve heard stories abt hw nigerians who think uk is heaven,throw all dem cash there and wen dey get there,dey realize its not wht dey wisd for,
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Canucklady(f): 9:36pm On Feb 07, 2008
Hi Guys,

I'm a Canadian living in Saskatchewan. My husband and I emigrated to Canada from England almost 50 years ago, and we have lived in many areas of this wonderful country through the years, from Prince Edward Island to Vancouver , Victoria , the Kootenay area of BC, Ontario, Manitoba  and on and on. We love it here, and Canada has been VERY good to us. The people are super friendly, there are few (if any) racial or "class" barriers as there are in England still, and work opportunities are plentiful.

One warning, housing in cities like Vancouver and Toronto is extremely high. Better to find a small town in an area you like. Community colleges too are far less expensive than universities.

Here in Saskatchewan, housing is still very reasonable. This is actually one of the last frontiers, where it's possible to live the good life without spending an arm and a leg, and where there is room for kids and families to spread out and enjoy wide open spaces and fresh air.

Good luck to you in your efforts to relocate, and a warm welcome to Canada if you decide to come here !! smiley

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 9:55pm On Feb 07, 2008
Hi shapey, congrats on you getting your immigration documents to Canada

Like others have said, there are many good things about the country, low crime, nice people and all.

You're thinking about living in Vancouver, BC? Well I guess coming from the UK where housing is expensive you should be able to cope. I lived in Vancouver for over a year and I'm going back there in a few weeks to finish my degree, Its still my favorite place in Canada. It rains a lot, but doesn't get too cold, so that should be pretty similar to London.

Like Ezi said, it has a predominantly Asian population, but they do good business so that should be fine. Housing is expensive in Vancouver compared to other Canadian cities due to its nice weather, so you might have to pay $1000 or more for a two bedroom apartment on the outskirts. I would suggest living in Burnaby, Surrey or one of the other suburbs, if you are interested I can hook you up with decent naija peeps on ground who can help you out.

But the transit system (skytrain - similar to the tube but above ground) is excellent, one of the best anywhere in the world.

Crime rate is very low, except for 'downtown - eastside' Vancouver, but you'll have no business there. I'd say its safer than the UK overall.

Where I would be most careful is regarding jobs: What are your qualifications? I mean you and your husband? Going from the past stories I read, y'all are still fairly young, so you can still retrain if possible. Canadian companies tend to want Canadian experience or Education, but If you're in a high demand field, then you would probably have it easier. You can search on www.monster.ca or www.workopolis.com the latter is a dedicated Canadian job site, good for getting a feel of the job market.

Generally Alberta (the oil rich province) has the most jobs right now, even if its not 'professional' you'll make $15-17 bucks an hour easily on these jobs till you can find your feet, but it is quite cold there. I would advise moving to Canada in the summer/fall so you can acclimatise well before winter hits.

If you want more info, you can buzz me on YIM (its in my profile) I can give you more specific details. Congrats once again.

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by amsky(m): 5:59pm On Feb 08, 2008
hi debosky
Just like shapey(my cousin), my husband and i have applied for the immigration too. I have never been there. Pls is this a right step? all shapey's responses seem positive.Is it worth it? The tax in UK is too high and personally,i'll give alot to get a life as good as this,but not as expensive as this.
Shapey is in France now,and i hope she sees this. Thanks so much Debosky.pls keep in touch.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Bossman(m): 10:25pm On Feb 08, 2008
You've got soem very good info already. With your husband, being or about to be a MD, it should not be a problem living anywhere there. I heard vancouver is very nice. Also, it's very close close to seatttle. A 2 hr. drive or less should get to into Seattle, WA.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Rlst84sale(m): 1:06am On Feb 09, 2008
@Shapey,

I have been to canada twice but never lived there. The crime rate is low. Job opportunities are better than UK, however it is extremely cold if you don't mind cold you will be fine. Here are few things I would suggest:

1) First find out if your school credentials need to be evaluated/converted to Canadian standard. If it is, google the companies or organizations that do it and contact them by phone. Be careful that you get the right one before you email anyboody your credentials or pay money online/by post. Once you get that out of the way then start to apply for jobs around the city you decide to live even before you move there.

2) Secondly for accomodation, don't rush into buying a house right away fisrt go online and search apartments info make contacts and campare prices in the city you plan to live, then get a reasonably low apartment for the first six months. Once you settle in and get your job aspect situated hopefully within your six months of moving, then your lease will be over in the apartment then it is time to think of purchasing a house. Notwithstanding, If you are not ready in six months just extend your lease for another six months and plan your finances very well then move into a house. Don't forget any mistake you make at that time may take a long time to correct, and may be costly too (God forbid). If you contact a real estate agent by trying to purchase a house immediately, you may not get a fair deal because you haven't known the place well enough to make an informed decision, and agents are mostly looking out to make their commissions. Once you settle in very well and ready for a house, you may then contact me (I'm in real estates but I'm in the US) then I will find a reliable agent for you and your husband through our network and guide you through the transaction so you won't make mistakes.

3) Find out from Canadian board of education by the internets, contact them and request for school ratings of all the schools in the city you want to live. You can even narrow it down if you talk to apartments/leasing agents for a particaular part of the city where the particular apartment is located. That also will help in deciding on school for your kids if you have any.  Just as you do for school so you can do to find out about crime rate by contacting their police department/office. I wish you well and much success in your move.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by zexyworm: 4:49pm On Feb 09, 2008
I'm a Canadian citizen, and spent 16 years in Montreal. It's a lovely city, beautiful blend of European and North American flavors. The upside is the French language, where you will have the opportunity (and your children if any) to learn it. Most people in Montreal speak English as well so don't let that deter you. More highlights is Mount Royal, a gorgeous mountain in the center of the island of Montreal, its lovely park, the st-laurence river, old Montreal with its cobbled streets and impecably maintained colonial buildings.

Not to mention the great standard of living!

Also it's closer to Nigeria than Vancouver (which is a 5 hour flight westward).
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 6:53pm On Feb 09, 2008
@ amsky

like others have said, the most important thing in my view is getting as much info as possible, especially with respect to jobs. Make sure your credentials/qualifications will be recognised by Canadian employers. . .and if not, be prepared to retrain/recertify.

Montreal is a great city to live in, though it is quite cold, the large 'underground Montreal' is fun in the winter. Its also cheaper compared to the other two largest cities Toronto and Vancouver, plus there is a large African community there too.

Home purchase should be left till you arrive and know more about the location and your actual needs.

For the medicine thing, I would advise contacting the regulatory board in the province you want to settle in, Canada is experiencing a doctor shortage, but their processes for getting qualified to practice in Canada may be annoying - check properly before hand.

Tax is probably close to what you have in the UK since Canada operates a strong social welfare system, but home/car purchases and costs will probably be lower.

Canada is cold and all that, except Vancouver/Victoria which are very expensive. . . but Toronto is no colder than Chicago, so you may settle there as well. There are lots of opportunities available, you can get down to work and make a good life for yourself out here if you ignore a few inconveniences. . . I'd just need more specific info on your training/education or experience to give you more advice based on what I know. Wish you the best in your future steps.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by amsky(m): 2:40pm On Feb 10, 2008
Thanks Debosky for your reply. I just got my husband to download the forms. Shapey studied accoutancy. I do not know what or if she'll want to continue along that path of career. For me,my 1st degree is french,and i'm quite fluent too. We are working on the forms and hope to hand them in by tuesday at the latest. The reports here are not too bad,sounds better than the UK too. I hear it's a lond wait.Shapey's husband handed his in before they got married,and they are just getting the visa. My husband loves the idea.I have lots to ask anyway,so you'll be hearing from shapey and i soon kiss

K'emesia.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by canalarge: 9:31am On Feb 12, 2008
debosky, PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ME WITH A CONNECTION THAT WILL HELP ME TO CANADA, I HAVE THE MONEY TO DO IT. I HAVE DEAL WITH SOME PEOPLE OVER HE YEARS BUT I WAS DUPED. IM PRESENTLY IN BENIN CITY, NIGERIA. CAN YOU HELP ME.

THIS IS MY EMAIL ADDRESS HERE, SO WE CAN START FROM THERE

paulasia50@yahoo.com

Talk to you later

Paul
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by amsky(m): 12:31pm On Feb 12, 2008
Debosky,
have you seen the above post?? Hehehehe be c-r-f-l (fill in the blanks) lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by abbey10(m): 4:18pm On Feb 12, 2008
Shapey,
Shapey,Shapey,Shapey?
How many times did I call you?
Warning: enjoy urself very well and
all the best.
I'm happy for u and ur hubby that
after d thick cloud/darkness,there's this wonderful shining
light.
God bless.
Enjoy Canada.
Ciao.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by princeonx: 4:40pm On Feb 12, 2008
Is this stupidity only in nigeria? and with we nigerians only?

Whenever someone mention anything abroad including Chad, you MUST see one or more people giving out e-mail add or phone numbers looking for connection "thats what they call it" or links to travel abroad too.

And ofcox you'll also see one stupid ambassador giving out his e-mail and phone number to contact him that he can do it! Is this madness or what? na wa for naija oh!
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 9:44pm On Feb 12, 2008
@poster,
Congrats on ur PR. I hope you make the best out of it. Canada is not as rosy as some people try to paint it, however, there are tools in place to aid you achieve whatever you want. There's a decent Nigerian community in BC and AB. Also, note the moment u move to Canada, u go automatically become the weatherman cos most of ur activities will be dicatated by the weather. Vancouver is slightly better with regards the cold, but the rains get as e be.

As for your hubby's professional exam, it's going to be a "long" ride but if he's determined, he'd easily scale thru.

Again, congrats on ur move. I hope all works out well for you and your family.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by debosky(m): 9:54pm On Feb 12, 2008
Delta007:

@poster,
Congrats on your PR. I hope you make the best out of it. Canada is not as rosy as some people try to paint it, however, there are tools in place to aid you achieve whatever you want. There's a decent Nigerian community in BC and AB. Also, note the moment u move to Canada, u go automatically become the weatherman because most of your activities will be dicatated by the weather. Vancouver is slightly better with regards the cold, but the rains get as e be.

As for your hubby's professional exam, it's going to be a "long" ride but if he's determined, he'd easily scale through.

Again, congrats on your move. I hope all works out well for you and your family.

Ol boy na FACT you yarn there oh! You go dey monitor weather before you comot house make cold no kill pesin. tongue

you sound like you're in AB - Edmonton or Calgary? Last time I was in Edmonton for a conference I met this naija dude told me he has 4 daughters that when I'm ready I should come and talk to him grin grin

The rains in Vancouver can be bad, but its close to London in that respect. . .I remember January '06 it was 3 weeks straight of rain, drizzly annoying rain.

I don see am oh grin

paulina abi na paulinus, I am not an agent neither do I hook people up. I didn't know anyone before I got here and I've not done badly. Information is freely available and I can post it here if you want.

@ amsky

If you can speak French, then consider coming to Ottawa the capital - its bilingual, so people with English and French skills usually get paid better than folk who can only speak one language. The city is beautiful and affordable even though it can be pretty cold. There's also a very large African community here - the city isn't too spread out and you can have a nice life. I'm pretty certain with any retail/customer service experience you'll get a job in Ottawa within weeks with your bilingual skills, after which you can then search for better ones.

for accounting you may need to take some CAA classes which you can do part-time to get certified here. A friend of mine is doing that right now.

Just IM me whenever you can, then I'll give you my email so we can communicate better. wink
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by amsky(m): 10:45am On Feb 13, 2008
Debosky, thanks alot okay. We are on it now. Just paid the guy (CIC lawyer) to commence. I'll add you to my YIM list as soon as i can. When you say african community,is it like 10 in 1000? I hope not o.
Shapey is not in good shape now,but will get to you ASAP.
abbey10,thanks a bunch. kiss
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by marjson(m): 1:08pm On Feb 13, 2008
CONGRATS,THOUGH NEVER BEEN THERE,BUT CANADA IS FAR MORE BETTER THAN AMERICA (U.S.A) COS I DO HAVE PEOPLE WHO HAVE MIGRATED FROM THE US TO CANADA .

GOODLUCK TO YOUR FAMILY.
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Blackcat(f): 5:27pm On Feb 13, 2008
prince_onx:

Is this stupidity only in nigeria? and with we nigerians only?

Whenever someone mention anything abroad including Chad, you MUST see one or more people giving out e-mail add or phone numbers looking for connection "thats what they call it" or links to travel abroad too.

And ofcox you'll also see one stupid ambassador giving out his e-mail and phone number to contact him that he can do it! Is this madness or what? na wa for naija oh!

Word
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by kingose: 3:15pm On Feb 14, 2008
Need urgent visa appointment with the america, Germany, Spainish or italian embassy? call me now and get your interview date booked!! no upfront payment.

080-779-313-13 or 012120912 or email me on osedking01@yahoo.ca
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Ezinwannem: 4:36pm On Feb 14, 2008
@amsky, u have gotten all good advise 4rom our experts here, ur degree in french is already an advantage, even in Toronto where I currently live, they get paid more even in customer service level. Ottawa will also be a good idea as sum1 else mentioned. It is da capital city and just like any other Canadian city, itz beautiful, That's also the heart of both french and english speakers, more of civil servant, great Nigerian community, I used to live in Ottawa, overall, u wont regret choosing Canada,
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by amsky(m): 7:08pm On Feb 14, 2008
Ezi thanks so much.I'll leave London at the drop of a hat. One can hardly save anything substantial over here. As for nigerian community,i'll give anything to have that. I'll keep asking questions as they strike me. How did you get there ezi? Did you do the immigration thing also?

Shapey is really ill and has not been able to log on here for a while now.All the same,i'll let her know as soon as i can.

Thank you so much,and have a goodevening. kiss kiss
Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Delta007(m): 7:44pm On Feb 14, 2008
@Amsky,
I wont be too fast to jump on the "You wont regret choosing Canada" wagon. Take that with a very large dose of salt. Personally, I don't regret my move here but my next move is back to Naija, God willing. Like I said, it's relative.  Taxes are a b!tch especially when u working for a corporation, just like in the UK. The US has a better tax system imho. The weather is no better than the UK. But like I said, it's all relative and depends on what stage u are in life and what you are looking for.

1 Like

Re: Thinking Of Relocating To Canada. by Xolokristo(m): 8:53pm On Feb 14, 2008
kingose:

Need urgent visa appointment with the america, Germany, Spainish or italian embassy? call me now and get your interview date booked!! no upfront payment.

080-779-313-13 or 012120912 or email me on osedking01@yahoo.ca

Another Ambassador/ Consular General!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Panic As Petrol Queues Surface In Abuja Due To Flood On Lokoja Road. / Flooding: Australian Government Warns Nationals Against Travelling To Nigeria / Has Anyone Been To Whispering Palms At Badagry? I Need Reviews

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.