Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,949 members, 7,799,225 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:14 PM

Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. (24096 Views)

Nigerian Artistes And The Trend Of Shooting Their Videos Overseas! / Lets Demand For Artist To Shoot Their Videos In 9ja. / Nigerian Pop Musicians And The New Trend Of White Girls In Their Videos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by publisher(m): 9:36pm On Nov 07, 2012
Long but Interesting, for good readers only cheesy

Source:http://www.mrstanleynwabia..com/2012/11/why-many-nigerian-artistes-shoot-their.html
[size=13pt]WHY MANY NIGERIAN ARTISTES SHOOT THEIR MUSIC VIDEOS IN SOUTH-AFRICA.
South Africa is not just another African country; she is the most industrialized nation on the continent. South Africa’s industrialization did not start at the end of Apartheid; rather Apartheid was one of the numerous tools used to fuel that countries infrastructural growth. Cheap black labour was effectively utilized in the development of the rainbow nation. The white settlers of South Africa, in conjunction with their ancestral European nations did not relent in building relevant infrastructures inside their African settlement especially during Apartheid’s peak periods.

South Africa is better than Nigeria, not necessarily because she has white settlers and constant electricity (though she does) but because that country has a different spirit from Nigeria. South Africa like Nigeria has majority of her citizens (blacks) living in poverty and to top that, the rainbow nation has the highest crime rate and HIV rate in the world. But the South African ‘spirit’ has given her people the wisdom to propagate and promote only the good sides of their nation.

The South African government and her people never miss any opportunity to tell the world that their nation is the best place in the world, in spite of their numerous challenges. As for Nigeria; corrupt government politicians are the ones telling the world how good Nigeria is. While those in ‘opposition’ are always on hand to counter the government’s position and even add ‘jara’ to their interpretation of deplorable challenges in Nigeria just to buttress their point.

But this article is not about Nigeria’s woes or politics, IT’S ABOUT MUSIC, so let’s loosen up a bit.

I bet most fans and viewers of recent Nigerian music videos have noticed a seemingly multi-racial identity that several Nigerian music videos have now acquired. There seems to be a trend of our local artistes featuring multiracial casts or extras on their music videos, especially females.

Most of these music videos are shot in no other place than South Africa. It’s now common place to see a Nigerian music video set in exotic or rundown South African locations, the artiste cruising a right-hand drive car with white or mullato women cascading the scene here and there. Nigerian artistes like Faze, Naeto C and P-square pioneered this rush to shoot music videos in SA. Before long, the Mo’Hits crew followed suit and now the likes of Flavour, KCEE and Bracket are addicted to this concept. But can we really blame them? Of course not.

The truth, which I eventually discovered, is that it makes more economic sense to shoot a music video in SA. Yes, we have Nigerian music video directors like Clarence Peters, Patrick Ellis and Aje that are doing great things on Nigerian locations but they don’t come in cheap. I don’t know exactly how much top-rated Nigerian directors charge to do music videos but I heard it’s in the millions. So, again, why South Africa?

Okay, here’s a gist I got from some of my industry friends based in South Africa; you all know about GODFATHER production? Most times we see their credits on many South African made-Nigerian music videos. The owner of Godfather productions is a Nigerian married to a South African lady and word has it that he does not even know what a camera looks like, let alone handle it. And so, how does a Godfather production shoot Nigerian music videos?
South Africa is home to many world class film institutions that train movie makers and directors from all over the world, including Nigeria. Our very own Clarence A Peters also trained in one of such institutions.

This is how it goes; a Nigerian artiste...say FLAVOUR decides to shoot a music video in South Africa and informs Godfather productions. The folks at Godfather contact some final year students in one of those SA film institute’s, inviting them to come use the production of a certain Naija music video as their project. These students, eager to impress their institutions and come out with good grades rush to embark on such music videos. The people at Godfather’s production after selecting the ‘lucky student(s)’ now decide to pay them a stipend, most times less than $1,000 (N150k) and these SA film students become over-joyed because they are somewhat being paid for doing their homework .

When it’s production time, it gets even easier; shooting a music video in SA is as easy as getting a permit and heading to your location anywhere in the city. There are no area boys or ‘omo onile’s’ to settle before shooting your stuff, and for the sexy multi-racial female models? South African women are more liberal and fun loving, most of them love appearing on music videos just for fun. With the popularity Nigerian music now enjoys in South Africa, these ladies sometimes struggle to feature on popular Naija artistes’ music videos.

So, that pretty White or Mullato lady you see on some Nigerian music videos are just having a good time, at the end of shoot they are rewarded with a nice meal, lots of alcohol and taxi fare, full stop. This is in sharp contrast to engaging Nigerian video vixens, where the pretty ones demand higher fees and the ‘accidental’ mixed raced ones amongst them even make higher and ridiculous demands.

When next you are watching that Nigerian music video shot in South Africa, please just enjoy the music and don’t blame that Nigerian artiste for not shooting in Nigeria. It has nothing to do with status or not wanting a black Nigerian cast; it has everything to do with economics of scale.[/size]

11 Likes

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by iamswizz(m): 10:24pm On Nov 07, 2012
At some point... I thought it was just because the SA environment is very clear and camera friendly
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Okijajuju1(m): 8:53am On Nov 08, 2012
.Wetin even carry me enter this thread sef... angry

[img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/-kUpcxGCOqV8/UGYWTVNntPI/AAAAAAAADS4/F7W45MU5qKQ/s1600/earl-hebner.gif[/img][/img]

8 Likes

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by dridowu: 8:53am On Nov 08, 2012
3rd to comment, next topic
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Patdedon(m): 8:57am On Nov 08, 2012
Giant of africa grin so dem dey use south africans head
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by babarazy: 9:00am On Nov 08, 2012

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by ijigbamigb(m): 9:00am On Nov 08, 2012
Funny
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by semid4lyfe(m): 9:01am On Nov 08, 2012

There are no area boys or ‘omo onile’s’ to settle before shooting your stuff, and for the sexy multi-racial female models? South African women are more liberal and fun loving, most of them love appearing on music videos just for fun. With the popularity Nigerian music now enjoys in South Africa, these ladies sometimes struggle to feature on popular Naija artistes’ music videos.

The highlighted may be true.

I recall P-Square saying they put an ad out for models for the shoot of their "Do Me" video and they were overwhelmed by the no of gals that showed up and at the end, they decided to use of all 'em.

The SA made videos are aesthetically more pleasing but their gals no sabi groove to our jams like the Naija babes.

2 Likes

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Itoroetti(m): 9:02am On Nov 08, 2012
I can't imagine but laff at this piece.i tink d main reason d do their shoot in SA is d infrastrutural development,not d price.offcourse,it's higher to shoot in SA than naija.SA is not like naija where u dont pay location fee,over there,u must pay it.

3 Likes

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by kollybay4u: 9:02am On Nov 08, 2012
Nigeria is till coming up compare to SA in everythings.
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Thok(m): 9:07am On Nov 08, 2012
Smiling at this insightful truth.
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 08, 2012
Its simple, environment. If you are into film making you will understand that. Nigerian environment is not camera friendly. Dirty place. If you think ikoyi lekki, banana island is fine, wait until you go to Johannesburg or cape town.
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Nobody: 9:10am On Nov 08, 2012
Interesting article.
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by werepeLeri: 9:11am On Nov 08, 2012
Itoroetti :
I can't imagine but laff at this piece.i tink d main reason d do their shoot in SA is d infrastrutural development,not d price.offcourse,it's higher to shoot in SA than naija.SA is not like naija where u dont pay location fee,over there,u must pay it.

so all d videos shows infrastructures? even those which just show a bunch of girls in a shopping mall dancing?

2 Likes

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by agitator: 9:16am On Nov 08, 2012
13th, I dey progress small small grin

2 Likes

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by omenziate(m): 9:16am On Nov 08, 2012
Omo onile and agbero issue is a big problem, could remember when chuddy K was interviewed by a TV host, he said he spent close to 3mil on the gaga crazy video, he had to settle about 6 factions of agberos/omo onile who had the intention to vandalise and beat dem if dey didn't comply wit their demands. Think SA is easier, u pay for the location and could always sort for the babes at affordable prices
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by controlseven: 9:19am On Nov 08, 2012
The reason is because Naija Police dey shoot artists while they perform robbery scenes thinking its real. GBAM!

2 Likes

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Nobody: 9:19am On Nov 08, 2012
uihebom: Its simple, environment. If you are into film making you will understand that. Nigerian environment is not camera friendly. Dirty place. If you think ikoyi lekki, banana island is fine, wait until you go to Johannesburg or cape town.
sad but true.. Even OAU staff quarters is 200 times finer than ikoyi/VI. I wish they could shoot music videos there.

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by alaoeri: 9:20am On Nov 08, 2012
Videos in SA are cheaper & environmental friendly than in 9ja.

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by brodalikeme(m): 9:27am On Nov 08, 2012
[size=14pt]Na becos we too like foreign tins. We always think say na that one go giv us level cool[/size]

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by bridgebaby: 9:29am On Nov 08, 2012
semid4lyfe:

The SA made videos are aesthetically more pleasing but their gals no sabi groove to our jams like the Naija babes.[/i]

Cant wait to see them dance to Pasuma's music to be shot in SA soonest! grin grin grin
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Nobody: 9:30am On Nov 08, 2012
Itoroetti :
stay there until agberos will come and seize your camera B4 you start shooting. Omonile must chop.
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Mckybarf(m): 9:31am On Nov 08, 2012
Oh so s.a is rich, sophisticated yet cheap- yeah, whatever. Well s.a stands to benefit economically though- the students get paid, the 'fun-loving' sexmachines also get paid(job without book qualification)- talk of the boost in air transport to s.a. Lol.
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Nonybb: 9:33am On Nov 08, 2012
Must girls be the issue? The problem with these musicians is that they concentrate at lagos! Move to other cities and keep down low the number of girls budgeted for any video shoot.

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by KINGwax(m): 9:35am On Nov 08, 2012
True but a little crappy!
When 2face shot videos in S.A, it's clearance P. When mo hit did, it was alwys sesan. How is dt cheap?
Besides dt, what fuckin video is Godfather producing? Those craps? Seriously, apart from 'Danger', and one 'e no easy'abi wetin be d title self? which P-square video is actually the bomb?
Videos shot in S.A, apart for showin off the beach, white girls dancing, what other ish are they carrying? No originality, jst two or three dumbshit black asss artists dancing among the lots of fluorescent-skinned white asss chicks!

2 Likes

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Nobody: 9:38am On Nov 08, 2012
i always wonder where d beautiful places are n Nigeria and also d beautiful blonde girls, so SA is d secret
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Mobinga: 9:49am On Nov 08, 2012
Okija_juju: .Wetin even carry me enter this thread sef... angry

[img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/-kUpcxGCOqV8/UGYWTVNntPI/AAAAAAAADS4/F7W45MU5qKQ/s1600/earl-hebner.gif[/img][/img]

So niggas are now jocking my gifs?
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by 2sexy(m): 10:04am On Nov 08, 2012
As a business craze man, I just love the concept on Godfather... Think outside the BOX...

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Nuzo1(m): 10:05am On Nov 08, 2012
Upon all the investigation the dumb headed journalist made, he couldn't find out the amount Elis and co charge per music video in Nigeria. He didn't even tell us how much Godfather productions charges in SA. He forgot to tell us the cost of the airfares, hotel rooms and feeding which will sum up to or more than whatever Nigerian music video producers charge.

The only difference between shooting a video here and SA is the video friendly and safe environment. And of course the not so expensive white and biracial video vixens.

What did he/she tell us here that we didn't know? angry

3 Likes

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 08, 2012
The South African environment's cleaner, so even with location fees to be paid (making video shooting more expensive than in Nigeria) it's still worth every penny invested.

Nigeria has a long way to go, and I'll be blunt here - it'll never attain the current level South Africa's at. Nigeria is undoubtedly changing, unfortunately not for the better. South Africa'a a nicer place to be, end of.

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by Ndoz(m): 10:14am On Nov 08, 2012
Story
Re: Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. by A2hakane1: 10:23am On Nov 08, 2012
Guys am an upcoming afro hip hop artiste with great skills, in need of an investor who can exploit my talent. Abeg those with vital info cal sms me on 08062490081. Ose

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hip-hop Video Vixens / Funke Akindele Jenifa - 'I Want To Rap' (Audio) / Top 10 Under-Rated Rappers In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.