Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate (11129 Views)

Photos: Nigerian Girl Bags First Class From A UK University / 10 Year Old Nigerian Girl Accepted In Uk University To Study Maths Degree / Nigerian Emerges Best Student In Ghanaian University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by Nobody: 3:40am On Nov 08, 2012
SEYI GESINDE writes on the rise to prominence of a Nigerian student in University of Kent, United Kingdon, Nana Skari, who recently graduated as the overall best student of the school, with a merit award in engineering, presnted to her by the Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET), UK.

A 21-year-old Nigerian foreign student, Nana Skari, recently emerged the most outstanding graduating student of University of Kent in the United Kingdom.

She graduated with a first class Bachelor of Engineering degree at the institution’s Department of Computer Systems Engineering at the Kent’s University.

Taking a look at the school’s profile, the University of Kent founded in 1965, is best known for its world-class research, excellent teaching and an inspiring student experience with international links across nations.

The university is also frequently ranked among the top 30 in British universities. So, with this kind of background, one can imagine how proud it is for Nana, a Nigerian, to study engineering at this prestigious university and graduate with a first class degree.

Even, apart from being the overall best student, Nana also won a separate outstanding award in engineering.

What makes her award unique is the fact that it was given to her by the country’s Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET), a national body in charge of accreditation of all engineering, computing, multimedia, and information technology programmes at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels in the UK.

Born in Borno State, Nana at an initial stage of her education, had thought of studying paediatric neurosurgery.

Why she couldn’t go for paediatric neurosurgery was not because she didn’t meet up with the basic requirement qualifying her for admission into the course, it was because she preferred to study a course she said she has a natural flair for. In her words, she said: “A course I enjoy doing.”

Also, she loves mathematics, which she considers to be the “best thing in the world,” hence, she opted to study engineering.
Nana recalled that as a student, many people looked down on her ability to record a good performance because to them, she was too playful, and the fact that she goes late to class and being a “back bencher,” still made the matter worse.

“I’ve never answered questions voluntarily in class unless it was directed at me,” for this and other earlier stated reasons, Nana said “many people underestimated my abilities.”

altBut if not for God, who Nana said had blessed her to be a “focused, optimistic, autonomous, and enthusiastic person,” the principles which ordinarily worked for her as a student, it would not have been so easy passing with flying colours.

“I’m the most serious person when it’s time to work and I play hard when it’s time to play.”

“If I want something, I work hard to get it. Settling for less is not even an option,” Nana said.

Nana, before travelling abroad, had her basic and secondary education in Nigeria. She attended Tender Care in Kaduna, for her pre-school and primary education.

She later proceeded to Danbo International College, also in Kaduna, for her secondary education, after which she left Nigeria for David Game College, London, for her A-Levels and later got admitted to University of Kent.

Now, Nana has made up her mind to pursue a Master of Science degree in International Oil and Gas Management, because, according to her, she would not want to limit herself to the engineering field. “I want to broaden my horizon.

“I believe Nigeria is a blessed nation. We are going through a lot at the moment but I believe in redemption. I do hope our parents and grandparents can rest and give us the future leaders a chance to restore hope to our nation.

“Yes I’ll move back home at the completion of my masters, get married, gain some work experience, learn how to apply my knowledge to the real world, and continue my journey to being the Oprah Winfrey of my generation,” Nana said.

http://tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/youth-achiever/9008-nana-21-year-old-nigerian-emerges-university-of-kents-most-outstanding-graduating-student.html

7 Likes

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by taharqa: 4:02am On Nov 08, 2012
Great.... Good for her
Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by Nobody: 4:05am On Nov 08, 2012
I have lost track as to how many Nigerian scholars have made headlines globally for the right reasons this year. Congratulations to her. She's beautiful too.

2 Likes

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by Gboliwe: 4:16am On Nov 08, 2012
Nigerians are by nature outstanding in all things they set their hearts to.
Good girl. We are proud of you.

1 Like

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by Caseless: 4:19am On Nov 08, 2012
Correct! atleast, we have a nigerian doing us proud out there cos nobody believe in us anymore. thank GOD....this is not a report about a church in the UK owned by a nigerian milking its members in the name of "give ur all to the lord" like the british mail reported some days/weeks ago, or about our corruption artists out there tarnishing our collective image. this is to tell them that it is not only 419ners we produce....

2 Likes

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by wissezy: 4:43am On Nov 08, 2012
That's wonderful! Happy for her.
Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by Ramcie(f): 5:11am On Nov 08, 2012
Congrats girl. Thanks for making us proud,

1 Like

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by ektbear: 5:38am On Nov 08, 2012
What is her ethnicity? Hard for me to identify it by her name or state of birth.

1 Like

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by abbeycial: 5:50am On Nov 08, 2012
yeah yeah....brained she is but wld ve been more int_resting if u weren`t from Borno...gbam

1 Like

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by Nobody: 6:41am On Nov 08, 2012
ekt_bear: What is her ethnicity? Hard for me to identify it by her name or state of birth.
what do you wanna do with her ethnicity? Unfortunately she is not Yoruba. Mtscheeew!

This is indeed a great achievement.she has really done us proud.congratulations to her success.

7 Likes

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by seunfly: 6:43am On Nov 08, 2012
ekt_bear: What is her ethnicity? Hard for me to identify it by her name or state of birth.

Does that matter? She is a Nigerian, what ever tribe/ethnicity she is from should not be subject of debate. because that is what has been bringing us down since inception, and i will urge us to please delect the what tribe mentality.

1 Like

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by Nobody: 6:44am On Nov 08, 2012
Na today we become outstanding?? That's how we roll! cheesy

#Repping Naija till I die!!

1 Like

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by ektbear: 6:46am On Nov 08, 2012
I'm always curious about ethnicity.

I don't know if she is Kanuri, or from one of those other ethnic groups in Borno (or elsewhere in the north).

If you don't know the answer to the question and are not interested in such things, then kindly ignore my post...the post isn't for your consumption anyways.

4 Likes

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by ifyalways(f): 6:55am On Nov 08, 2012
ekt_bear: I'm always curious about ethnicity.

I don't know if she is Kanuri, or from one of those other ethnic groups in Borno (or elsewhere in the north).

If you don't know the answer to the question and are not interested in such things, then kindly ignore my post...the post isn't for your consumption anyways.
you honestly owe no one an explanation. Its a very valid question, I was just gonna ask it too.

When I first saw the name, I was like "maybe her mom is Ghanaian" but then i remembered that the "itshekiri's" bear Nana too though in the case of Itshes its (to the best of my knowledge) for males.
Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by ifyalways(f): 6:59am On Nov 08, 2012
@topic, GO girl!!!

Beauty and brains.yay.her identifying with Nigerian makes it even sweeter.
Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by Ozonna(m): 7:01am On Nov 08, 2012
“Yes I’ll move back home at the completion of my masters, get married, gain some work experience, learn how to apply my knowledge to the real world, and continue my journey to being the Oprah Winfrey of my generation,” Nana said

Did u guys see this What a combination of beauty and brains.

I AM IN LOVE!!! I don't care if her Father is the spiritual leader of Boko Haram

5 Likes

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by simplemach(m): 7:08am On Nov 08, 2012
thank God, she was my girlfriend in kaduna before she left. i am happy for my babe

1 Like

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by WhyAWhy(m): 7:13am On Nov 08, 2012
simplemach: thank God, she was my girlfriend in kaduna before she left. i am happy for my babe

She's now mine in uk grin grin grin

12 Likes

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by ebamma(m): 7:15am On Nov 08, 2012
congrasts girl you makes nigeria proud,
Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by abbeycial: 7:15am On Nov 08, 2012
simplemach: thank God, she was my girlfriend in kaduna before she left. i am happy for my babe
its good to dream big

1 Like

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by omoabike: 7:16am On Nov 08, 2012
Why are some people trying to figure out her ethnicity? Does it really matter? Is it to rein enforce our warped generalization of everything backward being associated with the North?
In any case for those who like to know, Nana is not an uncommon girls' name in the North.
Nana Asmau, a famous poet in the Sokoto Caliphate was a daughter of Uthman Dan Fodio.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nana_Asma’u
Among Muslims in some parts of the North and also among the Yorubas, the name Nana Awawu(which is likely a variant of Nana Asmau) is also very common.

1 Like

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by fitzmayowa: 7:16am On Nov 08, 2012

Na wa oooooooooo na now she be your girlfriend tongue

1 Like

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 08, 2012
Congrats girl, but d name NANA SKARI dont sound Nigerian. Ghana goes by dat name NANA

2 Likes

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by abdulkayus(m): 7:21am On Nov 08, 2012
Hey, all of u making noise askin abt her ethnicity, she is frm Borno state bt school in kaduna, born and bred in northern Nigeria. I knw some peeps could hav wish its otherwise, hahahahahaha, every region in 9ja all got both d good and d bad ones, so shove ur sentiments into ur ass.

Am nt suprise cos Northern gals are always good in maths and medicine.

Congrat gal for makin 9ja proud. Na dis kind gal i dey lyk to marry so dat my children will be all brilliant too, combinin d brilliant of their father and mother.

2 Likes

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by 234GT(m): 7:23am On Nov 08, 2012
And some 'elders' will say Nigerian youths dont read. They will say Nigerian youths are lazy. Is this lady a Nigerian elder?

1 Like

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by abdulkayus(m): 7:24am On Nov 08, 2012
honeypie311: Congrats girl, but d name NANA SKARI dont sound Nigerian. Ghana goes by dat name NANA

it seem u havent been to d northern 9ja b4 abi or have many northerners as friends.
There are gals dat bear dat name especially in borno and kogi(esp ibira tribe) and some other state in d north. So xplore gal
Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by Saintsquare(m): 7:24am On Nov 08, 2012
Wish her best of luck in her future endeavors.
Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by lekzy007(m): 7:25am On Nov 08, 2012
congrat nana.........
Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by abdulkayus(m): 7:27am On Nov 08, 2012
omoabike: Why are some people trying to figure out her ethnicity? Does it really matter? Is it to rein enforce our warped generalization of everything backward being associated with the North?
In any case for those who like to know, Nana is not an uncommon girls' name in the North.
Nana Asmau, a famous poet in the Sokoto Caliphate was a daughter of Uthman Dan Fodio.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nana_Asma’u
Among Muslims in some parts of the North and also among the Yorubas, the name Nana Awawu(which is likely a variant of Nana Asmau) is also very common.

abeg tel dem. Dey dont go out dat is y. Always tryin to associate everytin wit backwardness to north.
Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by Alaafialoro(m): 7:29am On Nov 08, 2012
ebamma: congrasts girl you makes nigeria proud,
With this your english,I am sure u‘re more brilliant than her.#JustJoking#.
Op...nigerians are known for academic success all around the world. Thumb up,girl.
Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by Basic(m): 7:29am On Nov 08, 2012
You didn't wake up this morning with your senses or what? You want to start all these rubbish again?

1 Like

Re: 21-Year-Old Nigerian Emerges UK's University Of Kent Most Outstanding Graduate by abdulkayus(m): 7:30am On Nov 08, 2012
WhyAWhy:

She's now mine in uk grin grin grin

hey dudes, una dey fight over d gal ni. I no blame una sha, every guys dream is to marry an intelligent gal wit beauty.
Make una no fight, she has been betroth to me ever since she was in primary school, hehehehehehe.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aau Ekpoma Released Her 2015/2016 Admission List First Batch / Sexual Assault: AKSU Sacks 8 Lecturers / How Can I Make A First Class In Law School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.