Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:29 AM

Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte (209266 Views)

What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). / Difference Between 2G, 3G And 4G / MTN/Glo GPRS Configuration for Windows Smartphones? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by sammily(m): 12:37pm On Nov 08, 2012
thanks for the info bro.
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by pekelepekele(m): 12:37pm On Nov 08, 2012
Glo 4G will be out towards January ending
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Abmalcom(m): 12:39pm On Nov 08, 2012
insightful, informative and concise. thanx
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by rman: 12:40pm On Nov 08, 2012
All speeds are dependent on the number of users using the network at a time.

They are maximum speed possible not speeds you will get on your device. eg If you are the only one using a 3G site at a time, then you will get that maximum speed.

Also, it is not all mobile devices ( phones , modems ) that can deliver these maximum speeds. Therefore number of uplink and dwonlink channels designed for the phone also matters.

At the end of the day, if a netwrok supports HSDPA and on a site,and 200 people are comunicating on the site at once, the speed available may not be upto EDGE speed at that time although it is an HSDPA site.

That is why we get faster dwonloads at night when most people are sleeping.

4 Likes

Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Nobody: 12:47pm On Nov 08, 2012
Thanks.

Buh can 3G work on bb?
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by kollytin(m): 12:54pm On Nov 08, 2012
10ks 4dis info. My blackberry curve apollo shows EDGE always wt mtn but etisalat 3G dey constant
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by rman: 12:56pm On Nov 08, 2012
Paxchal: Thanks.

Buh can 3G work on bb?

Yes, most recently realeased BB'S supports 3G.

Also, there is no LTE network in Nigeria yet. All networks and ISP claiming LTE are liars because no one has been issued a licence for LTE yet in Nigeria.

What we currently have is Wimax which is not supported on phones yet. But Wimax can deliver speeds close to that of LTE

2 Likes

Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by hotcake: 12:56pm On Nov 08, 2012
Many thanks. I am learning
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Goshen360(m): 1:02pm On Nov 08, 2012
samfibby:

I am not sure any of the GSM providers in nigeria offer 4G service on LTE technology. Many some of the WISP's may offer LTE, but they might not support mobile devices.

Bro, I wasn't talking about GSM provider in Nigeria o.
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by myola(m): 1:07pm On Nov 08, 2012
Bros. Many thanks for the enriched info.
Every enlighting
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by arbitrage: 1:20pm On Nov 08, 2012
lower than gprs is the old dial up modem, with speed levels range of 19.6kbps, 32kbps to even 64kbps analogous to code division multiple access cdma u have in those earlier starcomms table top phones.

What u need to take note is that all these speed levels are that of ur hardware be it phone, tablet, pc or even the adjourning cables thru which data will pass. The most important part is ur network signal data throughput, which determines what data gets to ur device per sec.

Most of our networks that are boasting of 3.5g like mtn, 3.75g like glo, airtel or 4g like swift, mobitel and so on, do not even give a consistent data thruput of 384kbps for 5 mins. They use non constant burst speed to advertise or give excuse of fair share policy because they carry more users than their data speed until many sleep at night.

The nokia phone i am typing with now is hspa+ 4g capable and glo or airtel shows 3.5g signal or 3g for mtn in my area, yet none of them gives data thruput up to 200kbps. Note that my swift 4g network at home has never given beyond 300+kbps and more consistently at less than 200kbps, yet it streams youtube video with no much draw back.

So the networks and internet service providers need to give better data thruput and stop deception.

2 Likes

Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Stayo90(m): 1:24pm On Nov 08, 2012
Pls wats d use of packet data on phones n wen ur phone always complain dt suscribe to packet data wen u want to dwnload usin phone browser wat cld b d problm?(nokia prescisely)
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by samfibby(m): 1:25pm On Nov 08, 2012
Goshen360:

Bro, I wasn't talking about GSM provider in Nigeria o.

I understand u clearly, all i am saying is..just like rman said LTE technology hasnt found its way into nigeria yet. This technology is quite common in advanced asian countries, especially south korea, that explains why samsung is at the fore front of deploying this technology on its devices. Getting a samsung note 2 lte phone doesnt guaranty u lte browsing speed, maybe 3G. Non of the carriers (GSM or CDMA) in nigeria is deploying LTE yet.
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by bigtt76(f): 1:33pm On Nov 08, 2012
Hmmm ...All these na confusion jaaare! The truth is that if the 'Internet' bandwidth being piped into the 4G/LTE, HSDPA + etc are nothing to write home about then browsing experience remains ZERO! Guys don't forget that during the dial-up abuna ....we had modems doing 14.4Kbps but none of those subscribers could attain up to 5Kbps and then sef the Internet was sloooooow! Simple test,if you like arrange fibre optics connection from your switch to your laptop buy Swift, MTN or Glo Internet bundle see weda you go hit 1GB speed with your download. Guys just relax with your 'device' none can browse any faster than the network providers can 'provide'.
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by jobaskia(m): 1:36pm On Nov 08, 2012
LTE is the key now. Nobody has been able to key into that in Nigeria . Some countries like Azberijan and other european countries are already on release 12 . It's a process of release from 1-12 . I think other release will also come later. Wimax will soon be drop and upgrade has to be done to LTE.

Information technology is all about innovation which serves as cutting - Edge for competitors.
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 08, 2012
Super1759: sorry oo,leme ask one question. All these, are they based on phones or service providers.
Both. you need a 4G LTE device enabled to access 4G services
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by flambyn(f): 1:44pm On Nov 08, 2012
Gud work, now I undastand
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Exponental(m): 1:48pm On Nov 08, 2012
I need print 4 backup....
Tanx!
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by OkwaIfugo(m): 2:16pm On Nov 08, 2012
@op nice post.
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 08, 2012
Very informative. I need an explanation for this please. I noticed sometime 2 months ago that my call credit was being systematically deducted by the Glo network. After about 4 days and N600 had disappeared without me making any calls, I called glo customer care. I was told that perhaps I was visiting some sites that charge extra aside from your monthly pre paid rates, and was advised to 'downgrade' from 3G to 'EDGE'. I've been on EDGE since and found it works just fine too. Until last week when Glo network had problems which affected me for days. On reporting again at their office, the customer care agent set my phone once again to 3G and I noticed my bb started working immediately. Since then, I've not been able to browse again on 'EDGE'(in capital letters). Rather, it goes to 'edge' (small letters), in which case, I can't do anything on the net. So, I'm now on 3G permanently.

My fear now is that if I so much as go to some sites, I might be charged money, hence, even using google these days is with caution. Please someone, enlighten me so I can once again enjoy my browsing experience

2 Likes

Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 08, 2012
Quite revealing, thanks.
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by a1solution: 2:28pm On Nov 08, 2012
afam4eva:
WCDMA is called "Wideband Code Division Multiple Access". It's a standard found in 3G networks.
Ok, thanks you try.
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by arbitrage: 2:30pm On Nov 08, 2012
Unique!:
Very informative. I need an explanation for this please. I noticed sometime 2 months ago that my call credit was being systematically deducted by the Glo network. After about 4 days and N600 had disappeared without me making any calls, I called glo customer care. I was told that perhaps I was visiting some sites that charge extra aside from your monthly pre paid rates, and was advised to 'downgrade' from 3G to 'EDGE'. I've been on EDGE since and found it works just fine too. Until last week when Glo network had problems which affected me for days. On reporting again at their office, the customer care agent set my phone once again to 3G and I noticed my bb started working immediately. Since then, I've not been able to browse again on 'EDGE'(in capital letters). Rather, it goes to 'edge' (small letters), in which case, I can't do anything on the net. So, I'm now on 3G permanently.

My fear now is that if I so much as go to some sites, I might be charged money, hence, even using google these days is with caution. Please someone, enlighten me so I can once again enjoy my browsing experience

Ordinarily, recent phones will automatically adapt to whether you are within 4g, 3g or edge network coverage as you move around. This is because the newer technologies are backward compatible. But I can see from your case that your phone is not switching automatically, if I am right. I can see it sees slower network and shows from full EDGE to lower than edge or even gprs but you said when it does, it does not browse automatically. Right? That means you have to be setting it to the current signal strength of network where you are.

But the baffling thing is when you said it browses from your airtime credit at 3G signal whereas it browses from your data bundle when down to EDGE. Right? I feel that if you have subscribed to a data bundle, your phone supposes to browse from your current data bundle subscription automatically whether the network signal you are receiving is 3G or EDGE or edge or gprs. It is the speed of your data throughput that supposes to slow down and not that one connection (3G) is removing from airtime credit while another connection strength (EDGE or GPRS) is deducting from your data bundle.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by mikymouse1(m): 2:32pm On Nov 08, 2012
Very educative....Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by rman: 2:35pm On Nov 08, 2012
Unique!:

edge on your phone instead of EDGE is an issue with the network provider not your phone. Unless your BB subscription has expired.

Using 3G on your phone should also not inccur additional charges.

Just make sure you visit those sites less and you should be fine
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Tunmosh(m): 2:43pm On Nov 08, 2012
Good job! Nice one. Some pple can't distinguish btw them b4, instead for them to commend d effort but t they will b forming. Nice post jaaree!
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by abuhabib(m): 2:44pm On Nov 08, 2012
tthank you for this post. God bless you.
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Dosinspector(m): 2:52pm On Nov 08, 2012
Hw does this affect d cup of gari?¿
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Troll: 2:53pm On Nov 08, 2012
Unique!:

You May Have Been Browsing Video Streaming Sites On Your BB. Nigerian GSM Networks Charge Extra For Internet Video Streaming On Blackberry Expect For Airtel Which Gives A Mere 1gb BB Monthly Data Which Maybe Exhausted Within A Few Hours On Youtube.
The Solution Is that do not watch online videos on your bb except for some embedded ones which may be difficult for you to decipher. Browsing Google is okay, don't just click on video links.
The EDGE only makes it difficult to stream videos. 3G is fine don't just stream videos and it zaps battery faster too. I must confess Airtel has the most stable and fastest EDGE network in Nigeria and their 3.5G is very okay too. My only problem is their limited data bundle.
I hope this helps.
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Wisdytech(m): 3:07pm On Nov 08, 2012
NICE THREAD........ GOD BLESSSD
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by montero4relo(m): 3:07pm On Nov 08, 2012
JUST LEARN'T ONE NEW THING TODAY, at least today's surfing n chatting is not a waste...

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by monkel: 3:08pm On Nov 08, 2012
Quite insightful, thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Camera Thread (picture/wallpaper thread) / Calculate Your Nokia Phone's Security Master Code Easily Online / Tecno P9 Phantom PAD Mini Discussion Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.