Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,471 members, 7,781,367 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:17 PM

Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte (209185 Views)

What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). / Difference Between 2G, 3G And 4G / MTN/Glo GPRS Configuration for Windows Smartphones? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Johnsonifeoluwa(m): 3:10pm On Nov 08, 2012
Nice post.pls i notice d that we don't av 3g everywhere
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by babakess: 3:32pm On Nov 08, 2012
@op nice post...thanks for educating the house...airtel seem to be the best for now cos sometimes at night i get almost 4000kbps for my downloads...i .e 3888kbps
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 08, 2012
For those that responded, thanks for your contribution.

@Arbitrage, I honestly felt same way too. When you pay for your monthly data bundle, you are not expected to lose money again for what has been paid for. Meanwhile, I have never gone on you-tube with my bb before, so how come I'm being charged illegally.

@ rman, thanks. I do not even load any heavy pages, and have never tried to watch video with my plan. I'm suspecting a problem with Glo itself, cos when I wasn't even browsing, money was being deducted from my account. I tried to check the glo self care portal, and to my consternation, instead of my mobile number, I saw a different number as owning my device! This same thing repeated itself again that day, and when I reported at the Glo office nearby, no one could give me any reasonable explanation.

@ Troll, I have NEVER streamed video on my device. I visit only very few sites in relation to my work. Most month end, I check my usage, and it's always way below normal level, ie 0.4% usage (less than 1%) of total MB subscribed for!
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by dammytex: 4:00pm On Nov 08, 2012
Nice write-up xcitedjay.

Taking it back a little;
we started with analog 1G system in the '80s (eg NITEL cellular) which was doing only voice call and wasting resources like frequency channels. We evolved into digital 2G system (GSM) which provides both voice and low rate data (eg sms) and also optimizing frequency resource.
We wanted more throughput for data and we got GPRS. This is good for FTP (File Transfer Protocols) eg email and browsing of text-based files.
We wanted more again and we got EDGE. This is good for real time chats and heavier downloads of almost any file both texts and graphics.
We wanted more again and we had to terminate 2G to migrate to 3G for more throughput and we got UMTS which is a 3G standard based on WCDMA technology as against TDMA that GSM (2G) was based.
In 3G, we could do video steaming and multitask with video, voice and data at the same time.
We wanted more and we had improvement on the 3G platform to HSDPA (14.4Mbps). This gave much higher throughput for higher services like video calls.
We wanted more again and we had HSPA+ (21 Mbps). This was good for higher bandwidth services eg online gaming.
We wanted more again and we got different variants of HSPA+. Bringing another frequency carrier on HSPA+ gave 21+21=42Mbps. Three carriers gave 63Mbps. So, eight different WCDMA frequency carriers gave a HSPA+ throughput of about 168Mbps. (only God knows what this high throughput is to be used for ooo)

And then, the telecom standards bodies wanted a convergent standard for voice, data, video, 2G, 3G, CDMA, on an IP platform and hence proposed LTE. LTE is the next big thing. We don't have it in Nigeria yet but my company has already made trials for MTN and Airtel already. MTN should launch LTE by next year. But for now, LTE is only doing data. Voice will come later.
For now, there is NO LTE standard in Nigeria yet.

4 Likes

Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by oyeleyemaureen(m): 4:13pm On Nov 08, 2012
Pls bros don't deceive us. Where will you see it in nigeria where a download speed will be like 1mb/sec talkless of 14mb/sec or even more. Abeg park well bros. We no be mumu
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by mrdrizzy(m): 4:18pm On Nov 08, 2012
Paxchal: Thanks.

Buh can 3G work on bb?
omg hahahah wahala dey oh.pls can i ask u a question,what fone are u using?(no heart feelings).there aint no smartfone dat doesnt use atleast 3g,abi u nvr see 3g for bb b4.nawao
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by sarutobie(m): 4:19pm On Nov 08, 2012
Troll:

You May Have Been Browsing Video Streaming Sites On Your BB. Nigerian GSM Networks Charge Extra For Internet Video Streaming On Blackberry Expect For Airtel Which Gives A Mere 1gb BB Monthly Data Which Maybe Exhausted Within A Few Hours On Youtube.
The Solution Is that do not watch online videos on your bb except for some embedded ones which may be difficult for you to decipher. Browsing Google is okay, don't just click on video links.
The EDGE only makes it difficult to stream videos. 3G is fine don't just stream videos and it zaps battery faster too. I must confess Airtel has the most stable and fastest EDGE network in Nigeria and their 3.5G is very okay too. My only problem is their limited data bundle.
I hope this helps.
Word! Airtel's EDGE signal rivals Mtn's 3G signal..but there 1gb dataplan is just toooo meagre for my liking..imagine my dataplan got exhausted after barely 2 weeks of browsing(without downloading a single mp3 file) talkless of streaming a video.was forced back to Mtn...Airtel should step up on their dataplan abeg
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by dammytex: 4:21pm On Nov 08, 2012
oyeleyemaureen: Pls bros don't deceive us. Where will you see it in nigeria where a download speed will be like 1mb/sec talkless of 14mb/sec or even more. Abeg park well bros. We no be mumu

lol
Actually, these speeds are for the entire site (A base station site just like the one you see near a mast). All users are to use these download speed. If you are lucky enough to be the only user on coverage of that site, you will actually get the max throughput. But this is 9ja, you might be up to 1000 data users on an EDGE enabled site, that's why you get the kind of service you get.
Sorry.
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by mrdrizzy(m): 4:24pm On Nov 08, 2012
arbitrage: lower than gprs is the old dial up modem, with speed levels range of 19.6kbps, 32kbps to even 64kbps analogous to code division multiple access cdma u have in those earlier starcomms table top phones.

What u need to take note is that all these speed levels are that of ur hardware be it phone, tablet, pc or even the adjourning cables thru which data will pass. The most important part is ur network signal data throughput, which determines what data gets to ur device per sec.

Most of our networks that are boasting of 3.5g like mtn, 3.75g like glo, airtel or 4g like swift, mobitel and so on, do not even give a consistent data thruput of 384kbps for 5 mins. They use non constant burst speed to advertise or give excuse of fair share policy because they carry more users than their data speed until many sleep at night.

The nokia phone i am typing with now is hspa+ 4g capable and glo or airtel shows 3.5g signal or 3g for mtn in my area, yet none of them gives data thruput up to 200kbps. Note that my swift 4g network at home has never given beyond 300+kbps and more consistently at less than 200kbps, yet it streams youtube video with no much draw back.

So the networks and internet service providers need to give better data thruput and stop deception.
sorry may i ask,wht nokia are u using ..cus last i checked its only the lumia 820 nd 920 that uses 4g?
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by femzo(m): 4:25pm On Nov 08, 2012
This is d first tym I got educated on NL @ op niceee 1
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by TonySpike: 4:31pm On Nov 08, 2012
dammytex: Nice write-up xcitedjay.

Taking it back a little;
we started with analog 1G system in the '80s (eg NITEL cellular) which was doing only voice call and wasting resources like frequency channels. We evolved into digital 2G system (GSM) which provides both voice and low rate data (eg sms) and also optimizing frequency resource.
We wanted more throughput for data and we got GPRS. This is good for FTP (File Transfer Protocols) eg email and browsing of text-based files.
We wanted more again and we got EDGE. This is good for real time chats and heavier downloads of almost any file both texts and graphics.
We wanted more again and we had to terminate 2G to migrate to 3G for more throughput and we got UMTS which is a 3G standard based on WCDMA technology as against TDMA that GSM (2G) was based.
In 3G, we could do video steaming and multitask with video, voice and data at the same time.
We wanted more and we had improvement on the 3G platform to HSDPA (14.4Mbps). This gave much higher throughput for higher services like video calls.
We wanted more again and we had HSPA+ (21 Mbps). This was good for higher bandwidth services eg online gaming.
We wanted more again and we got different variants of HSPA+. Bringing another frequency carrier on HSPA+ gave 21+21=42Mbps. Three carriers gave 63Mbps. So, eight different WCDMA frequency carriers gave a HSPA+ throughput of about 168Mbps. (only God knows what this high throughput is to be used for ooo)

And then, the telecom standards bodies wanted a convergent standard for voice, data, video, 2G, 3G, CDMA, on an IP platform and hence proposed LTE. LTE is the next big thing. We don't have it in Nigeria yet but my company has already made trials for MTN and Airtel already. MTN should launch LTE by next year. But for now, LTE is only doing data. Voice will come later.
For now, there is NO LTE standard in Nigeria yet.
This is certainly a telecomms expert. HSPA+ is just a MIMO platform, which applies spatial diversity to achieve a maximum throughput. I see LTE as a better scheme since it'll be utilizing maximum code rates features of spatial diversity on
MIMO OFDMA platform with channel efficiency. Like I said, we have interesting days ahead for telecoms technologies.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by glb2012: 4:41pm On Nov 08, 2012
xcitedjay: While conversing with a friend I was asked the differences between GPRS, EDGE and 3G, decided to share my little knowledge about the topic in case you might be confused about it too.

Before advancing, it should be known that 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G etc refers to the different generations of wireless communication technology characterized by having a defined range of speed.

GPRS(General Packet Radio Service)
GPRS is a packet-based* wireless communication service. It is a 2G technology network that support a download speed of up to 114Kbps.
Limitation of GPRS is that GPRS data cannot be sent while a voice call is in progress.
Nice one....very educative
EDGE(Enhanced Data GSM Evolution)
GPRS and EDGE are both 2G technology but EDGE is significantly faster with a download speed of up to 384Kbps. EDGE is sometimes called a 2.5G network as it also has some characteristics of a 3G network but it doesn't satisfy the specification.

3G
Introduction of 3G network made video calling and seamless streaming of video possible, with download speed of up to 3.1Mbps.

HSDPA(High-Speed Down-link Packet Access)
It is based on the 3G network and an enhancement to 3G. Thus has a faster speed, download speed can be up to 14Mbps. HSDPA is sometimes called 3.5G.

HSPA+(Evolved High-Speed Packet Access)
HSPA+ is an evolution HSPA(HSDPA&HSUPA). It is a 4G technology that allows download at a rate of up to 168Mbps.

4G LTE(Long Term Evolution)
LTE is a 4G communication standard that supports HD video streaming, download speed as high as 299.6Mbps.

Summary
GPRS(114Kbps) < EGDE(368Kbps) < 3G(3.1Mbps) < HSDPA(14Mbps) < HSPA+(168Mbps) < 4G/LTE(299.6Mbps)

By the way, I posted this using a GPRS connection.

*Packet-based means data is broken into packets before being transmitted.
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Gbadebo01(m): 5:00pm On Nov 08, 2012
DANILSA: WHY THE GUY FACE COME BEND FOR 4G? WELL I DONT THINK ANY NETWORK IN NIGERIA HAS UP TO 4G OR 5G NETWORK, EXCEPT FOR ETISALAT THAT HAS 3.5G ABI NA 3.75G NETWORK,MOST GADGETS ARE STILL YET TO UPGRADE, ONLY FEW HAS UPTO 4G LIKE THE IPAD
GLO thinks it has 4g LTE network wink
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Revolva(m): 5:06pm On Nov 08, 2012
Insightful nice post now I know I imagine me using 3.7G kai or 4G hey my own don better !!!!
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by robert2051(m): 5:21pm On Nov 08, 2012
@XCITEDJAY, @AFAM4EVA, u guys rock, tanx & do keep it up!
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by albacete(m): 5:54pm On Nov 08, 2012

No garri comments
No "how did dis make front page" questions
No tribal wars
....on dis thread. Hmmm!

all i want to say to u all that have made useful contributions so far is a big
[size=22pt]
TANKIO [/size].

More civility to ur posts.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by samfibby(m): 6:21pm On Nov 08, 2012
Tony Spike:
This is certainly a telecomms expert. HSPA+ is just a MIMO platform, which applies spatial diversity to achieve a maximum throughput. I see LTE as a better scheme since it'll be utilizing maximum code rates features of spatial diversity on
MIMO OFDMA platform with channel efficiency. Like I said, we have interesting days ahead for telecoms technologies.

Sure interesting days we have ahead, the way the mobile technology market is shaping, we might be looking at a global world finally adapting a single standard. LTE's all IP based architecture simply gives it a edge over its rival (WIMAX), finally calls would be made a platform that nearly eliminates transfer latency (we might be saying adios to the days of "poor network na ni" or "network is bad". Initially, i thought wimax was it until intel pulled the plug and compound its woes most carriers all over the world are deploying LTE with the speed of light. If federal government stamps its feet on LTE deployment, making sure whoever gets the license for LTE frequency bands invests heavily. I give it to glo, since mtn seems to have invested a lot in its wimax facility. All the same nigeria certainly is heading for the "lofty el dorado of mobile communication" tongue cool embarassed
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by ocelot2006(m): 6:53pm On Nov 08, 2012
A little correction.

GSM- 2G
GPRS- 2.5G
EDGE- 2.75G
UMTS- 3G
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Nobody: 7:47pm On Nov 08, 2012
Thanks man. i now understand what i see on my laptop network display. Appreciated
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by startiri(m): 8:06pm On Nov 08, 2012
Thanks 4 dis...[color=#550000][/color]
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Deluty997(m): 8:26pm On Nov 08, 2012
Ok i don hear ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Lanretoye(m): 8:36pm On Nov 08, 2012
m-ployer:
What does the "G" stand for undecided

Oga u can read that G is generation like 3G is simply third generation
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by mannyU: 9:03pm On Nov 08, 2012
binger: Lol! at the pics.Assuming the air we breathe in was rated 4G,man for done exit earth grin grin grin

Or if say na politics.. Den GeJ fresh air na 1G..no reach GPRS sef.. Smh
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by ulonnaya21: 9:12pm On Nov 08, 2012
nice info. But what is WiMAX?
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Nobody: 9:13pm On Nov 08, 2012
jericco1: Hmm... 4g is the fastest... Smart phones noni... Iphone...

It isnt free boi...
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by Nobody: 9:15pm On Nov 08, 2012
afam4eva: Thanks for the info. Some people see these technical terms on their phones or computers but don't know what they mean.

Btw, is there any 4G network provider in Nigeria?

Yes. E don tey...
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by xcitedjay(m): 9:26pm On Nov 08, 2012
ocelot2006: A little correction.

GSM- 2G
GPRS- 2.5G
EDGE- 2.75G
UMTS- 3G
GPRS being 2.5G and EGDE being 2.75G, is not really a standard but more like a transition.

The reason why GPRS - 2.5G is cause it's kind of like a bridge between the 2G & 3G network. Also since EGDE is faster than GPRS, having speed close to a 3G network, it's marketed as 2.75G.

You might wanna google '3.9G'.
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by TonySpike: 9:37pm On Nov 08, 2012
ulonnaya21: nice info. But what is WiMAX?
WiMAX means Wireless Interoperability for Microwave Access. It's a radio access technology that can provide wireless communication for a minimum of 2.2 km and above. More like a Metropolitan Area Network. It operates under the IEEE 802.16 and sometimes IEEE 802.20 standards.
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by xcitedjay(m): 9:56pm On Nov 08, 2012
Someone on a 3.5G network doesn't neccesarily enjoy a faster browsing speed than another on 3G, just has a chance to experience a higher speed [when available]. Situations like network congestion can slow browsing speed quite significantly.
Re: Differences Between Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g Lte by puskin: 10:57pm On Nov 08, 2012
oyeleyemaureen: Pls bros don't deceive us. Where will you see it in nigeria where a download speed will be like 1mb/sec talkless of 14mb/sec or even more. Abeg park well bros. We no be mumu

Its possible......don't ask me how.....I get 1MB/sec steady on MTN and airtel.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tecno P9 Phantom PAD Mini Discussion Thread / Calculate Your Nokia Phone's Security Master Code Easily Online / Make Free Mtn To Mtn Calls With This Code!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.