Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,859 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:32 PM

Are You Happy With Your Name? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are You Happy With Your Name? (10580 Views)

My In - Laws Are Not Happy With Me. / I'm Not Happy With My Hubby / Can You Really Be Happy With The Same Person forever? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Happy With Your Name? by Meklex(m): 12:55pm On Nov 08, 2012
I found out that most people prefer their English name to their native names. A friend of mine have been hiding his native name for all the while that I've known him, he prefers to be called Martins instead of Chukwuezugo. And again people has started adding swags in their name, I thought it used to be martin and not martins, fidelia not fidel, Elizabeth and not lizzy or liz, micheal not mikel, etc. I know I love my native name but most people don't, but some names are funny though, like OLANIYI(yoruba) in igbo it means Spoilt person, etc.
Are you happy with the name your parents recognized you with the moment they set their eyes on you?.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by AKMoney1(m): 1:11pm On Nov 08, 2012
Yes ke but i want to add Obama to it

1 Like

Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Nov 08, 2012
I'm more than happy with my name. I have a native name, but my parents never used it back then, and no one does now.
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by EfemenaXY: 10:36pm On Nov 08, 2012
Meklex: I found out that most people prefer their English name to their native names.
Are you happy with the name your parents recognized you with the moment they set their eyes on you?.

Absolutely, yes!
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by baby124: 2:17am On Nov 09, 2012
Meklex: I found out that most people prefer their English name to their native names. A friend of mine have been hiding his native name for all the while that I've known him, he prefers to be called Martins instead of Chukwuezugo. And again people has started adding swags in their name, I thought it used to be martin and not martins, fidelia not fidel, Elizabeth and not lizzy or liz, micheal not mikel, etc. I know I love my native name but most people don't, but some names are funny though, like OLANIYI(yoruba) in igbo it means Spoilt person, etc.
I love all of them. Even though they prefer to call me a name that is not my first name on my birth certificate, because it was not common. The name stuck and is now my first name. All my names are beautiful. cheesy
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by DukeNija(m): 11:12am On Nov 09, 2012
I Love my Names.
My Parents did not give me an English name(For reasons best known to them).
So I adopted one. I didn't even know the meaning of the name cos it was just always in my head and heart.

My Parents Like my English name.
Although I'm called by my Native name, which I prefer.

I recently checked the meaning of my English name and was amazed.
"The The Leader of all the People".
Together they mean:
"The Glory of God is in the Leader of the People"

Now that's Me. cool
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by victorian(f): 1:00pm On Nov 09, 2012
I sure love my name... cheesy.....it means what am searching , has reached my hands....yeaaaahhhh
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by montero4relo(m): 2:55pm On Nov 09, 2012
I so much love my name cos its divine "EMMANUEL"

3 Likes

Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by candieangel12(f): 2:57pm On Nov 09, 2012
Yep I love my name. I am igbo but I don't have a native name. I have 3 english names and then my surname, which is igbo.
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by MzTiletohSet(f): 2:58pm On Nov 09, 2012
Of course Ɣξα̅h
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by AkinDavid2: 2:59pm On Nov 09, 2012
Nothing wey i no go read for NL..I love my name but if i wan change name o where i go fit do that? grin
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Nov 09, 2012
Over Happy OLUWASEUN cheesy cheesy cheesy Cos it always reflect in my life and i always have every reason to say thank you God
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by ChrisGnarly: 3:01pm On Nov 09, 2012
infact, my names ar unique and the best ever seen, both my english and my natives (christian and ugochukwu) the best ever
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by freecocoa(f): 3:02pm On Nov 09, 2012
My parents gave me the best names ever.
I love them more for that
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 09, 2012
@op i remember an uncle of mine, he prefers joseph to his native name 'uwadiegwu' (strange world), those days if u want to get him angry just call hm by his native name. Bt me am so loving my name nne....
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by omenziate(m): 3:06pm On Nov 09, 2012
Over happy sef. My native names are the bomb. Don't have an English name and don't want sef. I might just adopt Potiphar as my English name later.
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 09, 2012
I love mine. But serzly some names sound like drum repercussion like
Ndubuoganaya
Odum
Ndubisi
Some even sounds wacked that it can degrade your personality e.g
Okorowanta
Akpors
Rukewe
Akpan
Obiangeri
So my advise to pple bearing these names is to use your englsh name more or go for catholic Confirmation.

5 Likes

Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Davidbanky(m): 3:07pm On Nov 09, 2012
I grew up being called David, today i wish i was called bankole instead
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Clemzy16(m): 3:09pm On Nov 09, 2012
Yea! I love my seXy Names. My first name is native. "Odunayo" while my English name is "Clement" as regard to my Nickname which is also my username on NL "Clemzy." I'm address by my native name at home and church but bears Clement in School. But now i'm trying to be known by my native name rather than my english name because i'd realised that an african/Nigerian man should not form and forget where they're from. Also, i don't want my children to bear both english names like Clement John. Dosen't make any sense. IMO!

3 Likes

Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Nov 09, 2012
By the way this thread requires you all to mention your real names let us be the judge not you.
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by otokx(m): 3:10pm On Nov 09, 2012
As a Nigerian, there is nothing to be proud of in an English name, proudly Niger Delta, give it up to the beautiful nationalities of Ikwerre, Isoko, Itsekiri and Urhobo in no particular order.

3 Likes

Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by realsammie(m): 3:10pm On Nov 09, 2012
i prefer my native name 'OLUWASEYI' to my english name SAMSON.I've been thinking lately on how to change it.
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by safarigirl(f): 3:12pm On Nov 09, 2012
I'm extremely happy with both my names, they're rare and native, my dad made sure I have no 'slave' name, even my baptism name is olanna, names don't get more native than mine. If i'm itching for a slave name, i can take some letters off my name and get anna or ann anyway.
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Sunymoore(m): 3:12pm On Nov 09, 2012
Im nt because ppl use to joke with my name AKPORS sad

1 Like

Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by yuzedo: 3:13pm On Nov 09, 2012
My parents no gimme English name, when I was young and foolish, I rued this situation like mad! I conceived in my mind all the Western names I'd have loved.
Now? I thank them profusely. I appreciate my indigenous names. And will NOT be naming my children after angels or western historical figures with their idiosyncrasies. I already have the igbo names for my kids. My wife no even get say sef.
But my surname? Been considering changing simply because it is too generic. I want an uncommon igbo surname that'll establish me, identify me, and bless me abeg. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by purpinkx(m): 3:14pm On Nov 09, 2012
My name is ... Seun sha garri grin

1 Like

Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by kollybay4u: 3:18pm On Nov 09, 2012
I so love my names, although i dnt have english name, but am happy with my name because the have powerful and meaningful.
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by maclatunji: 3:19pm On Nov 09, 2012
Yes, very much.
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by babyluvmeu: 3:20pm On Nov 09, 2012
I Dearly love my name cus money can not buy it, (IT IS A GIFT FROM GOD) (GIFT, ONYINYECHI) ETC.

I also love my Boyfriend name (PRINCEWILL ) U can call him a Prince, Or King.

Pleas anybody that dose not like his/her name shuld better change it ok, bcus sometimes the name ppl answer affect their life.

ADVISE NOBE CURSE OOOOOOOOOO!
Re: Are You Happy With Your Name? by Kslib(m): 3:20pm On Nov 09, 2012
I love my native name.. When i went for one exam,the man incharge called my name,and 2 guys came out including me.. The man asked why 3 people came out,only to find out that my name was the combination of both names with some additional letter.. My native name long die. I was shy about it back then,but now i'm proud about it cos it gives me that sense of originality.. It means "GOD IS WITH ME"..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

false reasons why some people believe feminists hate men / My Parents Are Always Quarelling And Fighting What Do I Do? / Please Help Me, What Do I Do To An Ungrateful Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.