Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,398 members, 7,781,145 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:41 AM

Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? (10950 Views)

Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent / Pictures Of African Traditional Clothing! / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by ebankole: 12:58pm On Nov 08, 2012
Just read now that 70% african-american are of NIGERIA origin.There's these new DNA device that unveils the true origin of every black-american.Which,according to news,most black afri-american are now trooping to unveil their Origin,and happen to be 70% of nigeria root.GOOD-AMERICAN PERCEPTION OF NIGERIA.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by ebankole: 1:01pm On Nov 08, 2012
I think we all shud be proud of our origin,NIGERIAN,AFRICAN....?
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by ebankole: 1:04pm On Nov 08, 2012
I think we all shud be proud of our origin,NIGERIAN,AFRICAN....?

GOOGLE: american perception of nigeria

to see proof...pls
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 13, 2012
Ahhh Look at all the Black Love and Unity.

White Folks are in trouble now, we are definitely unified as one and ready to start our revolution.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by odumchi: 1:11am On Nov 14, 2012
Sometimes it seems as if the "black man" is constrained not only by the physical and psychological chains fastened upon his ankle by his traditional adversaries but also by the hate of his fellow peers which continues to checkmate his attempts at progression.

The children of mother Africa really need to get it together.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by MrsChima(f): 2:12am On Nov 14, 2012
odumchi: Sometimes it seems as if the "black man" is constrained not only by the physical and psychological chains fastened upon his ankle by his traditional adversaries but also by the hate of his fellow peers which continues to checkmate his attempts at progression.

The children of mother Africa really need to get it together.
by

Not everyone from Mother Africa by birth or descendent feels any connection with Mother Africa.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by odumchi: 2:35am On Nov 14, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
by

Not everyone from Mother Africa by birth or descendent feels any connection with Mother Africa.

Then it's time for them to wake up and realize themselves. The blacks across the Atlantic are undeniably rooted in Africa, whether or not the connection is felt. What's important is that Mother Africa's children on both sides of the world learn to cooperate and push for mutual goals and objectives because if they don't, then the "black race" has only itself to blame for its woes.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by MrsChima(f): 3:22pm On Nov 14, 2012
odumchi:

Then it's time for them to wake up and realize themselves. The blacks across the Atlantic are undeniably rooted in Africa, whether or not the connection is felt. What's important is that Mother Africa's children on both sides of the world learn to cooperate and push for mutual goals and objectives because if they don't, then the "black race" has only itself to blame for its woes.

You are more than entitled to your opinion about the "root" thingie. There is no such thing as black race however the societal classification base on ethnicity is necessary to distinguish for identification purposes. Back in ancient times...there was a nation that was governed by a powerful black king and queen. They managed to grouped a few individuals with similar mindsets until "judas spawns" contributed to their untimingly demise.

Before the coming of transatlantic slavery..."blacks" were divided by clans and tribes and fought each other for land and power. Women and children were kidnapped during the invasion and held as prisoners/slaves. Some women were raped and produced babies of other tribes/clans. It also explains the variety of "looks" within Africans in certain regions.

Now transatlantic slavery begun and "blacks" are divided again and this time the POW's and innocents were given/sold in exchange for some flip flops and mirrors. The "merchandises" were from various tribes/clans which explains exotic looks of those aboard.

The point of all this to say disconnection began in Mother Africa and extended all over the world. It is too late for millions to wake up...the damages has exceeded beyond repairs. The best thing people can do is start at home fixing their personal issues and hope for positive change.

You are right..."blacks" are responsible for their own woes.

1 Like

Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by tpia1: 9:21pm On Nov 14, 2012
Not sure why everybody, both white, black and in between, feel so sentimental about africa yet the continent still doesnt progress.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Blyss: 10:31pm On Nov 14, 2012
tpia1: Not sure why everybody, both white, black and in between, feel so sentimental about africa yet the continent still doesnt progress.

That's the fault of people like you who move away and or never return upon receiving some higher level of education.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by odumchi: 11:26pm On Nov 14, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

You are more than entitled to your opinion about the "root" thingie. There is no such thing as black race however the societal classification base on ethnicity is necessary to distinguish for identification purposes. Back in ancient times...there was a nation that was governed by a powerful black king and queen. They managed to grouped a few individuals with similar mindsets until "judas spawns" contributed to their untimingly demise.

Before the coming of transatlantic slavery..."blacks" were divided by clans and tribes and fought each other for land and power. Women and children were kidnapped during the invasion and held as prisoners/slaves. Some women were raped and produced babies of other tribes/clans. It also explains the variety of "looks" within Africans in certain regions.

Now transatlantic slavery begun and "blacks" are divided again and this time the POW's and innocents were given/sold in exchange for some flip flops and mirrors. The "merchandises" were from various tribes/clans which explains exotic looks of those aboard.

The point of all this to say disconnection began in Mother Africa and extended all over the world. It is too late for millions to wake up...the damages has exceeded beyond repairs. The best thing people can do is start at home fixing their personal issues and hope for positive change.

By the term "black race," I'm referring all of the black-skinned peoples of Africa and their descendants in the diaspora. My own ideology is that being aware of one's origins is empowering in its own right. There is no need for one to necessarily "feel" or even embrace a connection to the motherland [of all black peoples], but I do think that it is necessary to acknowledge the significance of Mother Africa in our pasts.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a Pan-Africanist. I'm not saying that long ago all of Africa's peoples coexisted harmoniously in perpetual peace and harmony without discord, no, off course not. However, what I am saying is that, today, due to the conditions that the "black race" finds itself in, it is almost imperative for us to find ways to work together and achieve the things that matter to us. Sitting around and tossing around phrases like "African booty scratcher" or "field negro" won't do us [the children of Mother Africa] any good; it's not enough to simply solve our immediate problems and worry only about what immediately affects our lives.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by MrsChima(f): 11:51pm On Nov 14, 2012
odumchi:

By the term "black race," I'm referring all of the black-skinned peoples of Africa and their descendants in the diaspora. My own ideology is that being aware of one's origins is empowering in its own right. There is no need for one to necessarily "feel" or even embrace a connection to the motherland [of all black peoples], but I do think that it is necessary to acknowledge the significance of Mother Africa in our pasts.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a Pan-Africanist. I'm not saying that long ago all of Africa's peoples coexisted harmoniously in perpetual peace and harmony without discord, no, off course not. However, what I am saying is that, today, due to the conditions that the "black race" finds itself in, it is almost imperative for us to find ways to work together and achieve the things that matter to us. Sitting around and tossing around phrases like "African booty scratcher" or "field negro" won't do us [the children of Mother Africa] any good; it's not enough to simply solve our immediate problems and worry only about what immediately affects our lives.

Even if we take away phrases that you find offensive will not change the fact that the damage have exceeded past repairs. There are "blacks" who have taken steps to "work together" but you will always have spoiled apples in the bunch even in your own families. It will not change the fact that the mere notion of "unity" will not surface at the volume you dreamt of.

It is good that you are not a pan africanist because I was beginning to worry that I may have to pull you from la la land. Your ancestors have fought over 600 years to even put in place that all "blacks" work together. It will never happen however nothing wrong with being hopeful.

Not saying something offensive will not change the mindset. We have to always remember that. What is also sad to hear some
"blacks"feel and say that they trust non=blacks more than "blacks" If those can't trust those that look like them...team building will be difficult task...impossible but achievable in nano years.

I am curious to know what is "black problems?"
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 12:47am On Nov 15, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Great Post

lol@sold for Flip Flops.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by odumchi: 7:41am On Nov 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Even if we take away phrases that you find offensive will not change the fact that the damage have exceeded past repairs. There are "blacks" who have taken steps to "work together" but you will always have spoiled apples in the bunch even in your own families. It will not change the fact that the mere notion of "unity" will not surface at the volume you dreamt of.

It is good that you are not a pan africanist because I was beginning to worry that I may have to pull you from la la land. Your ancestors have fought over 600 years to even put in place that all "blacks" work together. It will never happen however nothing wrong with being hopeful.

Not saying something offensive will not change the mindset. We have to always remember that. What is also sad to hear some
"blacks"feel and say that they trust non=blacks more than "blacks" If those can't trust those that look like them...team building will be difficult task...impossible but achievable in nano years.

I am curious to know what is "black problems?"

I don't get what you're trying to say about my ancestors fighting 600 years for "black unity". Could you please explain?

The issue facing Africans worldwide (black problems) are numerous:
In the New World, African-Americans are facing challenges with drugs, violence, education, family issues, social disintegration and poverty. In Africa (the world's poorest continent) Africans are battling poverty, disease, illiteracy, war, and unstable governments. This shows that on every corner of the world, the "black" peoples are suffering and are in need of an urgent socio-political/socio-economic revival; these are things that sitting around and calling each other "ape" won't accomplish.

Like I said earlier, I'm not saying that we should pretend as if nothing is wrong. What I'm saying is that "black" peoples everywhere should awaken and realize their situation in the modern context. As an African-American (I'm not referring to you specifically), you can't just exist oblivious to what's going on in Africa because you don't consider yourself African. The same also goes for an African who tries to act as if he is living in a microcosm that contains only himself and his immediate concerns.

Ignorance is no longer an excuse.

3 Likes

Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by MrsChima(f): 1:36pm On Nov 16, 2012
odumchi:

I don't get what you're trying to say about my ancestors fighting 600 years for "black unity". Could you please explain?

It is self explanatory and I have already touched briefly about the fight for unity in my first two posts. During your free time...research the origin of Mother Africa.

You are right ignorance isn't an excuse but it is still alive and well even with all the knowledge in the world. wink
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by MrsChima(f): 3:35pm On Nov 16, 2012
odumchi:

The issue facing Africans worldwide (black problems) are numerous:
In the New World, African-Americans are facing challenges with drugs, violence, education, family issues, social disintegration and poverty. In Africa (the world's poorest continent) Africans are battling poverty, disease, illiteracy, war, and unstable governments. This shows that on every corner of the world, the "black" peoples are suffering and are in need of an urgent socio-political/socio-economic revival; these are things that sitting around and calling each other "ape" won't accomplish.

Like I said earlier, I'm not saying that we should pretend as if nothing is wrong. What I'm saying is that "black" peoples everywhere should awaken and realize their situation in the modern context. As an African-American (I'm not referring to you specifically), you can't just exist oblivious to what's going on in Africa because you don't consider yourself African. The same also goes for an African who tries to act as if he is living in a microcosm that contains only himself and his immediate concerns.

Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by tpia1: 4:54pm On Nov 16, 2012
Your ancestors have fought over 600 years to even put in place that all "blacks" work together.

are you sure about that?

maybe 60 years, dont know about 600.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Energy48(m): 8:41pm On Nov 16, 2012
I will say 100 percent of African-Americans and Caribbean people are of Yoruba origin.

It is well explained in this E-book which is FREE to download for the next five days.

https://mawuvi.com/main-page.html
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by MrsChima(f): 2:05am On Nov 17, 2012
tpia1:

are you sure about that?

maybe 60 years, dont know about 600.

I am positive. wink
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by odumchi: 2:54am On Nov 17, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

It is self explanatory and I have already touched briefly about the fight for unity in my first two posts. During your free time...research the origin of Mother Africa.

You are right ignorance isn't an excuse but it is still alive and well even with all the knowledge in the world. wink

I still have no idea about what your alluding to, in reference to my ancestors. It would save us some time if you could be clear and specific.

Since ignorance is abound, should we all passively accept it?
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 3:09am On Nov 17, 2012
Yea....n der iz [color=#000099][/color]dix link between Brazillians n Nigerians grin. No wonder I got a natural brazillian butt...... [code][/code] wish I had der hair too....naturally cry
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by MrsChima(f): 12:45pm On Nov 17, 2012
odumchi:

I still have no idea about what your alluding to, in reference to my ancestors. It would save us some time if you could be clear and specific.

Since ignorance is abound, should we all passively accept it?

How can one accepf whaf they do not know?

For most ignorance is inherited.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by ifyalways(f): 4:38pm On Nov 17, 2012
@topic, not sure about the 70% claim by the OP.I think it should be within 45 - 55% range. We are the most populous black country and that should be factored in too.

I have an observation though; how come we don't have "black Americans" returning home or identifying with Nigeria as they do in other African countries :-/

I've heard of some African Americans having holiday homes in Ghana, Gambia, Senegal , Cape Verde and actually visiting those countries et all, can same be said of Nigeria ?most African Americans living here are those connected to us by marriage . One would expect that the search for their anthentic and ancestral roots would attract them to Nigeria undecided

2 Likes

Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by ebankole: 5:36pm On Nov 17, 2012
@ifyalways

Well u might be right and ofcos we all ken that nigeria is the most populous africa nation.And in pertain african american not returning or checking out their mother land well they may have their reason for that.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 17, 2012
@ topic thats definitely untrue.

Most "slaves" were taken from central africa.

@ify most of us who do go back to or seek to know about africa and are fascinated with places like ghana etc, do so because they reach out to us....nigeria/ans dont really so thats why most of us in the diaspora do not look to nigeria as our "homeland" much less a place to visit. The connection is not there.
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by ebankole: 12:32am On Nov 18, 2012
@kails
I don't really ken what u mean by untrue but if its about accomodating acceptance on the part of nigeria/ns as a nation i may have to disagree with u,really patriotism aside this is a well known fact that nigeria/ans are wholly accomodating and we so much love outsiders in general.Do your research,and have ever visited nigeria?
cheers
Re: Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? by Blyss: 1:26pm On Nov 18, 2012
ifyalways: @topic, not sure about the 70% claim by the OP.I think it should be within 45 - 55% range. We are the most populous black country and that should be factored in too.

I have an observation though; how come we don't have "black Americans" returning home or identifying with Nigeria as they do in other African countries :-/

I've heard of some African Americans having holiday homes in Ghana, Gambia, Senegal , Cape Verde and actually visiting those countries et all, can same be said of Nigeria ?most African Americans living here are those connected to us by marriage . One would expect that the search for their anthentic and ancestral roots would attract them to Nigeria undecided

Nigeria is unstable and not as welcoming. Plus the nation and people have a really bad rep. for being tricky and thieving; things in which most tourist don't want to be bothered with while trying to enjoy themselves on vacation. The other nations you've mentioned have actually taken the time and care to promote and build coalitions with the AA community in order to strike interest in us to come and spend time there.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Arochukwu Disobedience. / Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa / Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.