Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,985 members, 7,799,362 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:42 PM

Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices (58231 Views)

MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) / Top Nigerian Makeup Artists / Top Nigerian Makeup Artists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Loveangel1(f): 4:32pm On Nov 08, 2012
Why do Nigerian makeup artists charge so much? Just came across one and she said she'll do a wedding makeup for 200,000, I mean that's too expensive and most people complain about how rude and mean they could be. I really wanna know, why so expensive?
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Onegai(f): 7:40am On Nov 09, 2012
Hmm, let's try thinking of this:

You train as a makeup artist. Most in Nigeria aren't well-trained, but pay minimum of N70,000 for bad training. Then buying your products (you have to have foundation to match any complexion, that's a minimum of N12,000 for 8 tubes, and then Mary Kay isn't that good, so to do a good job, you have to buy Black Up which is N10,000 a bottle. There's too much fake Iman on the market sold for N4500 per bottle). Then add in eyeshadows, a palette can be N8500 and that is the crap chinese stuff that irritates. So you spend minimum of N25,000 for more chinese stuff of slightly better quality. False lashes are N800 per packet (the good stuff which isn't heavy on the eye). We won't mention powders, blushes mascara, primers and skincare for all types of skins and complexions. Remember, all these products finish and expire, so they need replacement.
Then transport to the bride's house, first for trial and then for engagement and another day, white wedding, no matter how early or late the time. So that's usually cab fare. Calculate N3000 per trip.
Also, naija brides can waste time, so you can't do 2 weddings in one day. And then you have to wait for their mum, sisters or friends who want free makeup (as if you have products to dash).
You may say "oh well, why should I still pay so much?". Let me ask you this: which do you think you will use to remember your wedding, your menu, your hall venue or your pictures? And if it's pictures, do you wanna look your best in your pictures or do you want to look like your short-sighted sister did your makeup without her glasses? Why pay a photographer N150,000 when you look like a masquerade because you paid your MUA N40,000 for her wahala?
What do you think?

38 Likes

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Onegai(f): 7:42am On Nov 09, 2012
I cannot tell you how many stressed brides cried in their makeup artists' arms, after the makeup artist insisted everyone leave the room and give the poor girl space instead of staring at her, making comments, rushing her and stuff. Me, I come with something for my bride, to cheer her up and relax her. It's her special day.
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by quin9(f): 9:33am On Nov 09, 2012
They won't be in business if people aren't paying,neither wld they charge that much if their clients av not been up to it,most of these peeps go abroad to get certified,and diz is Naija where there is a lot of money to throw around,where we spend heavily on parties,its not only makeup that is expensive EVERYTHING is.
As for being rude,YES most of them are,but sometimes people are really annoying,the bride has made her specification,had a trial nd all nd on that day d SU anty comes in saying"u don't need diz,d lips it too red,clean it nd use only gloss don't let d eyeshadow show(d bride is like don't mind her,till an arguement ensues or som1 cries),d church will diz d elders will dat blah bla bla...anoda 1 comes saying am d elder sis so"u'll makeup nd tye my gele shogbo?(Free oh!),jus then anoda 1 comes picks ur lipstick and apply straight on her lip!(No permission).In diz trade u need REAL patience,which a lot of people don't av.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by victorazy(m): 7:11pm On Nov 09, 2012
THEM SEF WAN DRIVE RANGEOVER SPOT
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by acidtalk: 7:15pm On Nov 09, 2012
If you can't afford it, stick to idi-agbon, tiro, vaselline, and palm kernnel oil.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by RedLight1: 7:16pm On Nov 09, 2012
200k? shocked is that for year make up or just once

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by iamswizz(m): 7:16pm On Nov 09, 2012
They pay tax and custom fees.... Thats why
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Nobody: 7:19pm On Nov 09, 2012
Make-UP when you're DOWN.

Some of you spend your husband's salary trying to paint your face like the canvas of an artist..

Except I mistook the meaning of Make-up artist.. but any woman/wife that spend that amount on facial paints at one sitting is a bad house wife...
wtf!! isn't that thing meant to be worn for few minutes to hours lawd!
I pity poor people sha.. this kind news fit make person commit suicide...

I need to investigate Dangote's wife asap ..
(I'll be back)

26 Likes

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 09, 2012
Why should it be expensive? How much is Marykay accessories,or Black opal?all these things aren't expensive na,and morever,she won't be the only one she will use it for.

What is therein makeup that you have to call people to makeup for you,don't you have a sister,or friend that can do that for you?( U must definitely be a bad person).

You want a classic makeup,and you are doing "Alaroro",I pity you,you wan form abi?

People like you are why professionalism is encouraged in Nigeria,you are a bad market.
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by tampa1871: 7:23pm On Nov 09, 2012
Obe to dun, owo lopa.
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by redcliff: 7:24pm On Nov 09, 2012
About the rude and saucy part, I totally agree. Adding to that, they are always fugly. I dono if them dey vex say the person wey them dey makeup fine pass them.

My boss complained bitterly about one of them the day he wanted to do a fotoshoot for our chef. The camera guy that they weren't paying was just on point behaving himself then the almight MUA was so saucy and rude and fugly.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Nobody: 7:25pm On Nov 09, 2012
In Nigeria, everything has an exorbitant. Imagine! You can even buy 20 naira guguru and epa. Even Orange cannot be purchased for 20 naira.
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Nobody: 7:25pm On Nov 09, 2012
Yomieluv: Why should it be expensive? How much is Marykay accessories,or Black opal?all these things aren't expensive na,and morever,she won't be the only one she will use it for.

What is therein makeup that you have to call people to makeup for you,don't you have a sister,or friend that can do that for you?( U must definitely be a bad person).

You want a classic makeup,and you are doing "Alaroro",I pity you,you wan form abi?

People like you are why professionalism is encouraged in Nigeria,you are a bad market.

You are contradicting yourself, proofread before you click submit next time.

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by ochallo: 7:26pm On Nov 09, 2012
90 % of make up i see on brides especially the very expensive ones are usually very ugly. they need to look at american weddings and see how the bride makes up, they dont turn their faces into a canvas and paint

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Nobody: 7:27pm On Nov 09, 2012
acidosis™:
Make-UP when you're DOWN.

Some of you spend your husband's salary trying to paint your face like the canvas of an artist..

cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin

Mu che che Choi choi! This comment is as funny as fvck grin
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by redcliff: 7:29pm On Nov 09, 2012
Onegai: Hmm, let's try thinking of this:

You train as a makeup artist. Most in Nigeria aren't well-trained, but pay minimum of N70,000 for bad training. Then buying your products (you have to have foundation to match any complexion, that's a minimum of N12,000 for 8 tubes, and then Mary Kay isn't that good, so to do a good job, you have to buy Black Up which is N10,000 a bottle. There's too much fake Iman on the market sold for N4500 per bottle). Then add in eyeshadows, a palette can be N8500 and that is the crap chinese stuff that irritates. So you spend minimum of N25,000 for more chinese stuff of slightly better quality. False lashes are N800 per packet (the good stuff which isn't heavy on the eye). We won't mention powders, blushes mascara, primers and skincare for all types of skins and complexions. Remember, all these products finish and expire, so they need replacement.
Then transport to the bride's house, first for trial and then for engagement and another day, white wedding, no matter how early or late the time. So that's usually cab fare. Calculate N3000 per trip.
Also, naija brides can waste time, so you can't do 2 weddings in one day. And then you have to wait for their mum, sisters or friends who want free makeup (as if you have products to dash).
You may say "oh well, why should I still pay so much?". Let me ask you this: which do you think you will use to remember your wedding, your menu, your hall venue or your pictures? And if it's pictures, do you wanna look your best in your pictures or do you want to look like your short-sighted sister did your makeup without her glasses? Why pay a photographer N150,000 when you look like a masquerade because you paid your MUA N40,000 for her wahala?
What do you think?

Sorry, erm, are you the makeup artiste the op is complaining about? This one u gave her the load down of makeup history from queen jezebel's era.

21 Likes

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Nobody: 7:29pm On Nov 09, 2012
Make up equipments are not cheap tho, many factors affect the price of a make-up job.
Sometimes its not because they wanna charge u too much,
Sometimes, they look at ur status before you are charged.
Imagine if i were to make up dangote's daughter? I'd definitely wanna blow my charge up.
Sometimes its the fault of the customers too.... 'If it aint expensive, it aint gonna be kool'..... Dats how some think.
Sometimes also, if i've got to make d groom and also the bridal train up... Den i'll have to charge more.
BTW... OP, we could renegociate, if u mean it, i'll send u a mail of my jobs.. So we can hook up.
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 09, 2012
If make-up artists charge high rates, then try make-down artists.
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 09, 2012
okpara ugo: If make-up artists charge high rates, then try make-down artists.

See Okpara o! cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by SisiKill1: 7:33pm On Nov 09, 2012
200k??!! shocked shocked

What happened to white Powder, Tiro/Kwallii and Vaseline?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by DANILSA(m): 7:36pm On Nov 09, 2012
redcliff:

Sorry, erm, are you the makeup artiste the op is complaining about? This one u gave her the load down of makeup history for queen jezebel's era.
OBOY U WICKED O. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 09, 2012
When some people are using 200k to do Traditional wedding, court wedding and church wedding altogether undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by DANILSA(m): 7:40pm On Nov 09, 2012
DID OP SAY 2000 NAIRA OR 200,000 NAIRA. UNTO WETIN NAA? SHE GO REMOULD MY WIFE FACE? I NO GO TRY AM angry angry
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by greaterlove(m): 7:41pm On Nov 09, 2012
Red-Light:
200k? shocked is that for year make up or just once
that got me cracked up cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy, its for one year wink wink wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Ramcie(f): 7:45pm On Nov 09, 2012
quin9: They won't be in business if people aren't paying,neither wld they charge that much if their clients av not been up to it,most of these peeps go abroad to get certified,and diz is Naija where there is a lot of money to throw around,where we spend heavily on parties,its not only makeup that is expensive EVERYTHING is.
As for being rude,YES most of them are,but sometimes people are really annoying,the bride has made her specification,had a trial nd all nd on that day d SU anty comes in saying"u don't need diz,d lips it too red,clean it nd use only gloss don't let d eyeshadow show(d bride is like don't mind her,till an arguement ensues or som1 cries),d church will diz d elders will dat blah bla bla... [b]anoda 1 comes saying am d elder sis so"u'll makeup nd tye my gele shogbo?(Free oh!),j[/b]us then anoda 1 comes picks ur lipstick and apply straight on her lip!(No permission).In diz trade u need REAL patience,which a lot of people don't av.

cheesy cheesy cheesy Funniest part .

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by blacksta(m): 7:47pm On Nov 09, 2012
Nigerians generally lack correct business mentality, everybody wants to hammer from one customer and forget that repeat business is the key. When i am not mad 200k for makeup you will use tissue to wipe off at the end of the day.
Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by greaterlove(m): 7:49pm On Nov 09, 2012
do u guys know what, i just spoke with a friend and she told me that make up artist like banke meshida charges as much as 500k, my jaw just dropped shocked shocked shocked shocked am i sure i am in the right profession?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Kslib(m): 7:50pm On Nov 09, 2012
200,000 naira for make-up?? Abi dem wan change the face join??....

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by blacksta(m): 7:52pm On Nov 09, 2012
500k - they must be mad and the person paying that must be madder

they want to build house and buy car from one customer fee

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by blacksta(m): 7:58pm On Nov 09, 2012
Onegai: Hmm, let's try thinking of this:

What do you think?

Nonsense

Is the make up artist going to finish all the products you mentioned on one customer.

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Makeup Artists And Their Exorbitant Prices by Tyche(m): 8:02pm On Nov 09, 2012
Op is very very as in very very ugly thus the exhorbitant price.

lipsrsealed

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Miss Rivers Contestant Embarrasses Herself When Asked A Question (video) / Kleopatra Vargas Wins Miss Toddler USA America Nation 2021 / Ladies, Would You Wear This Jumpsuit Wedding Gown?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.