Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,766 members, 7,802,343 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

Gift Ideas For The Blind - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Gift Ideas For The Blind (4949 Views)

I Need Souvenir And Gift Ideas For Weddings, Birthdays And Other Occasions! / Beautiful Valentine's Gift Ideas / Wanted - Nigerian Xmas Gift Ideas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gift Ideas For The Blind by Rocktation(f): 4:49pm On Nov 08, 2012
Soo...
...the guilt of always attaching a cane and sunglasses, to almost all blind persons in my thoughts and yours, kind of got me curious as to what other gifts/ideas, they might appreciate as well...whether as a birthday present or a holiday gift.

Picking out gifts for the blind can very well be compared to gift-shopping for someone with sight...as you'd want to pick out something that a recipient with sight, will also find 'useful'.

So here are some practical/tactile gift ideas that may appeal to blind people;

1. Braille Templates; Blind people (especially those who were born blind) could learn to read and write, using raised letters on a template.

Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Rocktation(f): 4:51pm On Nov 08, 2012
2. The i- pod:
No one needs use their sense of sight, just to enjoy great music. Just spice up the action, by adding the recipient’s favorite style of music and artists, before presenting this wonderful gift.

Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Rocktation(f): 4:52pm On Nov 08, 2012
3. An Audiobook:
Audio books make it easier for the visually impaired to enjoy a great book. Oh yes! The recipient's favorite author/book would be in order again. Another wonderful thing about audio books, is that people can enjoy it while doing other things.

Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Rocktation(f): 4:54pm On Nov 08, 2012
4. A ticket to a live performance:
Live performances are always an amazing experience even for the blind. A wonderful alternative to giving an I- pod, would be a ticket to a live performance of the recipient’s favorite musician...or even to a stand up comedy show.

Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Rocktation(f): 4:55pm On Nov 08, 2012
5. A bowl of food/ basket of fruits/ food trip:
Food can be an exciting sensory experience that can stimulate one’s sense of smell, taste, touch and hearing. You can give that wonderful person a basket/ bowl of assorted delicacies or goodies that you made yourself. Or you could take him on a food trip and as well, do some bonding, over a variety of great cuisine.

Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Rocktation(f): 4:58pm On Nov 08, 2012
In brief, there are loads of cool stuff for them and I can't mention everything, even if I tried. Others may include a relaxing massage/ aromatherapy bath oils/ fleece foot wares (so they can value the sense of touch), other talking products like a GoBible, talking wrist watches , alarms, and even talking cooking wears.

Of all the wonderful gifts though, there's an ultimate one you can NEVER go wrong with.....and we seldom give this, even when we can... The ultimate number six ~ See beneath. smiley
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Rocktation(f): 4:59pm On Nov 08, 2012
6. A Multi-Thousand Dollar Surgery that just might fix that blindness! wink

Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Rocktation(f): 5:32am On Nov 12, 2012
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by FlamingGun: 2:44pm On Nov 22, 2012
Money, money, money in a cracking brown envelop. Even the blind can "see" that stuff.
FG

1 Like

Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by OkwaIfugo(m): 2:45pm On Nov 22, 2012
Oh this is good.
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by maclatunji: 2:46pm On Nov 22, 2012
Really sweet thread.
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by sherrylo: 2:48pm On Nov 22, 2012
Good but its all about money
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Abrantie: 2:53pm On Nov 22, 2012
Artificial eyes
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Iaz93: 3:10pm On Nov 22, 2012
Money oOoh . .nice one sha
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by TableLeg(m): 3:50pm On Nov 22, 2012
Blackberry Blind 001 ... So they can join in the pinging fun! undecided
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Rocktation(f): 4:26pm On Nov 22, 2012
sherry lo: Good but its all about money

...as it is, when you're giving to people that can see.
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by maclatunji: 4:27pm On Nov 22, 2012
Wow! Such a beautiful thread receiving little attention.
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Rocktation(f): 4:32pm On Nov 22, 2012
maclatunji: Wow! Such a beautiful thread receiving little attention.

Thanks Latunji. smiley
Don't mind us, landers. We prefer to see P-square and the likes, throw cash around in the name of birthday parties. cheesy
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Tgirl4real(f): 4:32pm On Nov 22, 2012
maclatunji: Wow! Such a beautiful thread receiving little attention.

May be it's in the wrong section.
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Rocktation(f): 4:38pm On Nov 22, 2012
It is not, Tgurl. Discussions about Birthday gifts and even gifts generally, are best suited for the Events section. People seem to have forgotten that. Besides, it's on the home page...so I don't see how that matters. undecided
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by MadCow1: 4:55pm On Nov 22, 2012
How about a car?! undecided
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Tgirl4real(f): 4:57pm On Nov 22, 2012
Ok.

Good that it's on the home page.

@ Post,

The biggest gift anyone can give is love. Don't discriminate
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by jereal(m): 5:26pm On Nov 22, 2012
Yes an ipod...! in the movie 'book of Eli' I remember how important the ipod was to the main character, he was blind...

very thoughtful recommendations...!

God knows I pray everyday for a major breakthrough in the on going research on bionic eyes...it'd be the greatest gift any blind person would want...

1 Like

Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by cowgurl: 5:37pm On Nov 22, 2012
Beautifully sweet, that's my description of this thread.
was actually giving a nod to each gift as I scrolled down.
Safe for the braile's templates and o' course surgery, other gifts never crossed my thoughts.
So thank you Rocktation for this list, loved it.

1 Like

Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Tgirl4real(f): 5:38pm On Nov 22, 2012
Congrats dear.

I didn't know this section is now with a moderator.
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Amazondepth(m): 5:57pm On Nov 22, 2012
A most welcoming and truly educative thread!one other thing show them luv but no pity!the blind from my experience with some I came across hate to be thought of as impaired.they can do a lot of things the sighted do and are very strong willed.God bless u OP for dis thread.

1 Like

Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Rocktation(f): 6:18pm On Nov 22, 2012
Awww, thanks people! I wish you the same, Amazon.
...And #hugs# Tgurl...the awareness campaign is still on. smiley
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by minute(f): 7:38pm On Nov 22, 2012
It might be a good idea to get them something that appeals to their four other senses.

Talking books/music in their language.

Talking clock/watch.

Classical music is great for relaxation. I would get Mozart or Greig.

A guitar is also very easy to play.

Something special to them. Even though they can't see . . .like a picture of you together.

If you made them something . . .like a purse, scarf, wallet etc. they would feel special.

You could also try perfume, bath salt, or something of that sort.

I am sure your visit would be the most beautiful, and special gift you could give any blind person.
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by firestar(f): 7:38pm On Nov 22, 2012
cry cry cry

...Precious.
This should made front page!
Yet, the only gift I could give that's priceless is being there.
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 22, 2012
so nice of you! i think i like the idea of ticket to a live performance would help smiley
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by eggheaders(m): 8:58pm On Nov 22, 2012
education and more education
Re: Gift Ideas For The Blind by kemiola89(f): 9:08pm On Nov 22, 2012
The greatest gift one can give the blind is affection, and attention!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is Cake Deemed Necessary In Nigerian Ceremonies / How To Vote For Bbnaija Top 5 Using Wechat - #BBN Winner / Event Ushers In Ibadan And Environs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.