Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone (24158 Views)

Iran Captures Intruding US Drone Over Persian Gulf Waters / Us Drone Downed By Iran With Its Cyber Warfare Team. Picture / Us Drone Killed Gaddafi? - Says Russian Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by LagosBoi2(m): 12:55am On Nov 09, 2012
[quote
author=all4naija] US is in the Gulf for security purposes. If not
for USA Kuwait would have be overrun by Saddam army and terrorized the
people. If not for USA in the gulf Iran(with the help of Russia) would
have be arming some rogue states in the Middle East to prey on their
neighbors. If not for the US in the Gulf Russia nuclear weapon
proliferation would have been out of control. If not for US in Middle
East most countries security would be compromised, the small countries
like Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, UAE,etc by the bullies like Iran,
Syria,etc.

Please, I am not going to leave the matter.
[/quote]

where are you getting all these crappy stories from? many of those countries listed and iran allies. can you count how many countries the U.S has invaded around the world? it answers the question of who is terrorising who.

2 Likes

Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by logic101: 12:56am On Nov 09, 2012
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/08/cnn-iran-drones-gulf

Barbara Starr, CNN's Pentagon reporter (more accurately known as: the Pentagon's reporter at CNN), has an exciting exclusive today. Exclusively relying upon "three senior officials" in the Obama administration (all anonymous, needless to say), she claims that "two Iranian Su-25 fighter jets fired on an unarmed US Air Force Predator drone in the Persian Gulf last week," while "the drone was in international airspace east of Kuwait . . . engaged in routine maritime surveillance." The drone was not hit, but, says CNN, "the incident raises fresh concerns within the Obama administration about Iranian military aggression in crucial Gulf oil shipping lanes."

First things first: let us pause for a moment to extend our thoughts and prayers to this US drone. Although it was not physically injured, being shot at by the Iranians - while it was doing nothing other than peacefully minding its own business - must have been a very traumatic experience. I think I speak on behalf of everyone, regardless of political views, when I say that we all wish this brave hero a speedy recovery and hope it is back in full health soon, protecting our freedom.

The CNN report on this incident is revealing indeed. Every paragraph - literally - contains nothing but mindless summaries of the claims of US government officials. There is not an iota of skepticism about any of the assertions, including how this incident happened, what the drone was doing at the time, or where it took place. It is pure US government press release - literally; I defy anyone to identify any differences if the US government had issued its own press release directly rather than issuing it masquerading as a leaked CNN report.

Most notably, CNN does not even bother with the pretense of trying to include the claims of the Iranian government about what happened. There is no indication that the self-described news outlet even made an effort to contact Tehran to obtain their rendition of these events or even confirmation that it occurred. It simply regurgitates the accusations of anonymous US officials that Iran, with no provocation, out of the blue decided to shoot at a US drone in international airspace. (Although CNN does not mention it, last December Iran shot down a US drone which, it claims (and the US does not deny) was in Iranian air space).

That CNN's prime mission is to serve the US government is hardly news. But given the magnitude of these kinds of accusations - their obvious ability, if not intent, to bolster animosity on the part of the US public toward Iran and heighten tensions between the two nations - shouldn't CNN at least pretend to be a bit more skeptical and even-handed about how it is reporting these claims? Anonymous Bush officials claim Saddam is reconstituting his nuclear program; anonymous Obama officials claim Iran illegally shot at a US drone for no reason.

But nothing can top this sentence from CNN, intended to explain the significance of this alleged event: "Iran has, at times, been confrontational in the region." Yes, indeed they have - in stark contrast to the peaceful United States, which never is. Or, as Jeremy Scahill today, anticipating how Starr might present her report on-air on CNN later today: "Iran, which has launched airstrikes in Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia and [holding earpiece] -- wait, what's that, Wolf? Oh, right. The US, which has..." Scahill was being a bit generous to Wolf Blitzer there, who would be far more likely to add; "yes, that's right, Barbara: and we should also remind our viewers how Iran, just a few short years ago, attacked its neighbor Iraq, destroyed the country, and then occupied it for almost a decade, showing how aggressive the mullahs are willing to be in this region."

In case any of you thought the US media would change its future behavior in light of the debacle during the run-up to the Iraq War - and, really, were any of you thinking they would? - this is your answer. The pre-Iraq-War behavior wasn't an abandonment of their purpose but the supreme affirmation of it: to drape the claims of the US government with independent credibility, dutifully serve its interests, and contrive an appearance of a free press. This is our adversarial, watchdog media in action.

Iranian evil

This all reminds me of a debate I did a couple years ago on MSNBC with Arianna Huffington and the Washington Post's Jonathan Caephart over Iran and whether it should be viewed as an aggressor and enemy of the US. For most of the debate, MSNBC kept showing scary video footage of a test of a mid-range missile which Iran had just conducted, and then Capehart picked up on that to tell me, in essence: how can you say Iran isn't aggressive when they're testing these missiles? Yes, because, clearly, countries of peace (such as the US and Israel) would never do something as belligerent as testing missiles, much like no real Country of Peace would ever want to acquire a nuclear weapon.

UPDATE

The Washington Post's report describes the incident as having taken place "near Iranian airspace", and then posts a map to illustrate just how close. Like CNN, though, the Post bases all of its "reporting" on what the US government claims, and does not indicate that it even attempted to obtain comment from the Iranians, simply noting instead that "Iranian media had not reported on the Nov. 1 incident as of Thursday afternoon."

Moreover, if it turns out that the claim of the US government is accurate and the drone was just outside of Iran's airspace: does anyone have any thoughts on what the fate would be of an Iranian drone that was found just outside the airspace of the US on the Eastern seaboard, or right near Israeli airspace? I suspect that a lot more than an Iranian drone would be shot at. I'm also quite certain that, in reporting on such an incident, CNN and the Washington Post would be certain to include the views of the US or Israeli governments.

2 Likes

Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 12:56am On Nov 09, 2012
LORD OVERTOOK THE SPIRIT OF AHMEDINEJAD AND MADE HIM ANNOUNCE HIS COMING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0UIMYd3iLY
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 12:56am On Nov 09, 2012
Lagos_Boi:

my friend shut up, if one country can have nuclear weapons another country sure has the right to. every country is equal to the other.
It is clear you have no single idea of Nuclear weapon. What grants every country the right to have nuclear weapon? It is only in your shallow mind!

1 Like

Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 12:59am On Nov 09, 2012
Lagos_Boi:

where are you getting all these crappy stories from? many of those countries listed and iran allies. can you count how many countries the U.S has invaded around the world? it answers the question of who is terrorising who.
Dude, you are just being myopic and anti-American. I can't change that because I can see where you are coming from after saying those countries are Iran allies! Jeez! You are really not doing your searching properly!

How can USA allies be Iran allies in this present time is beyond me!

Check what ally means

1 Like

Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 12:59am On Nov 09, 2012
erniok:
I understand your argument but the drone was on "routine maritime surveillance" and you cannot prove it was taking pictures of Iran however its capability.
abeg c o,,,does d maritime belong to america,wetin concern dem wit anoda person maritime...,,for cryin out loud..dey were on d persian gulf,,wen has it bcome american gulf?wat is deir business wit d maritime on persian gulf?..let dem stay nd do deir maritime routine surveillance on deir gulf..n keep off sumbody's else gulf to maintain peace n order,,america is just usin deir super power privilledge to do odas a reapoff .
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by erniok(m): 1:04am On Nov 09, 2012
obadiah777: LORD OVERTOOK THE SPIRIT OF AHMEDINEJAD AND MADE HIM ANNOUNCE HIS COMING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0UIMYd3iLY
Can't watch the video with my phone, can you transcribe? @ logic, nice post.
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 1:04am On Nov 09, 2012
jehovahnoni: abeg c o,,,does d maritime belong to america,wetin concern dem wit anoda person maritime...,,for cryin out loud..dey were on d persian gulf,,wen has it bcome american gulf?wat is deir business wit d maritime on persian gulf?..let dem stay nd do deir maritime routine surveillance on deir gulf..n keep off sumbody's else gulf to maintain peace n order,,america is just usin deir super power privilledge to do odas a reapoff .
Does it belong to Iran alone? Please, get you fact straight before coming here with sentiment filled idea!
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by SirMethod: 1:06am On Nov 09, 2012
acidtalk: So much for injustice.
You left your territory thousands of mils away even in a different continent to another man's region to be survelling the territory and yet people are here supporting US.

Where has people's reasoning capacity faded off to?

U only showed how inept u are about international politics. the whole world is America's territory
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by erniok(m): 1:06am On Nov 09, 2012
jehovahnoni: abeg c o,,,does d maritime belong to america,wetin concern dem wit anoda person maritime...,,for cryin out loud..dey were on d persian gulf,,wen has it bcome american gulf?wat is deir business wit d maritime on persian gulf?..let dem stay nd do deir maritime routine surveillance on deir gulf..n keep off sumbody's else gulf to maintain peace n order,,america is just usin deir super power privilledge to do odas a reapoff .
They have an ally, kuwait, in that region. So I can't visit my friend cos my enemy lives close by.
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 1:08am On Nov 09, 2012
SirMethod:

U only showed how inept u are about international politics. the whole world is America's territory
both ur fada house ba...mugu
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Areaboy2(m): 1:14am On Nov 09, 2012
50calibre:

Yeah you may be right! Also i think the US army who are the only operators of that fighter have cut down production as well.

but what of maneuverability and speed? I strongly believe the raptor is still somehow superior to the MIG. If not why are the US so reluctant to sell them, I still believe there are some capabilities of the raptor they want to keep secret.

Besides you know the russians can't compete with the US when it comes to precision engineering and complexity, so they go for size. The US can target just one house in a region with deadly precision and destroy it without unnecessary casualty while the russians will just blow up everything. Just look at their hydrogen bomb "Tsar Bomber"

errrrr NO.. The Russians went to space first, landed a probe on the moon first, sent man to space first, landed on venus first(well sorta).. I dont think they will achieve all that with no precision engineering.

They are just as good if not better than the Americans. The mig 35 is a good example, it will seriously harm a raptor. Like is said, being 3 years younger in terms of military equipments means a lot.

@Shymmex, nope!! an Su-25 is no match what so ever for an F-16. The aircraft you have in mind is an SU-27. that will pwn an f-16/15E
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 1:14am On Nov 09, 2012
all4naija: Does it belong to Iran alone? Please, get you fact straight before coming here with sentiment filled idea!
my facts ar straight...it is u who should get ur head straight n stop being filled wit sentiments too,,,,it does nt belong to iran alone but does it belong to america at-all ?...america is an intruder in dis scenerio .
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 1:16am On Nov 09, 2012
Area_boy:

not quite! All it has going for it is stealth. The Russians see stealth as a waste of time cos you can never really be "invincible". American should have learnt their lesson when their prized F1-17 was shot down over Bosnia!!! Ooops... what embarrassment. The supposedly "invincible" aircraft shot down by an inferior army? lol.

i'll put my money on that MIG 35 cool

keep in mind the MIG is at least 3 years newer than the raptor

Plus the raptor has a combat radius of 510 nautical miles (at super cruise speed) while the mig has 620nm combat radius (at normal cruise) grin, would be fun to watch
As if the line in bold makes anything about MIG 35 more important. It only means having a larger fuel tank to go farther places. It is of no use when US bases are within short distances and ranges as well as the aircraft carriers available to take care of such preemptive plan. If long distance is the matter in jet fighter most manufacturer would have opted for nuclear powered fighter jets. I believe in perform, man!

1 Like

Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 1:19am On Nov 09, 2012
jehovahnoni: my facts ar straight...it is u who should get ur head straight n stop being filled wit sentiments too,,,,it does nt belong to iran alone but does it belong to america at-all ?...america is an intruder in dis scenerio .
Nonsense! Just listen to yourself. It would be clear the Kuwaiti, Qatari and co have not told US to leave yet here you are so silly to speak as if you have the right to who should be carrying out surveillance of the area.

Please, fvck off!
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by livethinme: 1:22am On Nov 09, 2012
Red-Light:

i know... but 90% of people there are muslims

And your point being?
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 1:27am On Nov 09, 2012
erniok:
They have an ally, kuwait, in that region. So I can't visit my friend cos my enemy lives close by.
in dat case,u help ur friend to survey his premises...knowin fully dat ur enemy has a share in dat premises ?wat do u expect frm ur enemy....to tel u tank u for helping us to survey our premises or wat ?..of course,ur enemy would b aggressive nd very mad at u...dat is just wat happened ...dat is d summary of d whole saga,,america is usin kuwait as a shield for deir intelling .
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 1:27am On Nov 09, 2012
Area_boy:

errrrr NO.. The Russians went to space first, landed a probe on the moon first, sent man to space first, landed on venus first(well sorta).. I dont think they will achieve all that with no precision engineering.

They are just as good if not better than the Americans. The mig 35 is a good example, it will seriously harm a raptor. Like is said, being 3 years younger in terms of military equipments means a lot.

@Shymmex, nope!! an Su-25 is no match what so ever for an F-16. The aircraft you have in mind is an SU-27. that will pwn an f-16/15E
You are right on the definition of precision in this regard to landing in other planet and moon but such fit is more complicated when it comes to small enclave, like within small areas with enemies living in the midst of the poor. I think Russian fighters would do more overall harm than selective one. Yes! Russian tech is regressing and not as advanced as the US. Russians can testify to that. They once asked Israel for tech secrets in the past.
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by LagosBoi2(m): 1:28am On Nov 09, 2012
[quote
author=all4naija] Nonsense! Just listen to yourself. It would be
clear the Kuwaiti, Qatari and co have not told US to leave yet here you
are so silly to speak as if you have the right to who should be carrying
out surveillance of the are.

Please, fvck off!
[/quote]

it is you that needs to get some rest, ur brain is not thinking straight.
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 1:30am On Nov 09, 2012
Lagos_Boi:

it is you that needs to get some rest, ur brain is not thinking straight.
At least learn to quote right before telling me to think straight.
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by LagosBoi2(m): 1:33am On Nov 09, 2012
[quote
author=jehovahnoni]in dat case,u help ur friend to survey his
premises...knowin fully dat ur enemy has a share in dat premises ?wat do
u expect frm ur enemy....to tel u tank u for helping us to survey our
premises or wat ?..of course,ur enemy would b aggressive nd very mad at
u...dat is just wat happened ...dat is d summary of d whole
saga,,america is usin kuwait as a shield for deir intelling .[/quote]

the question you should ask is what are they surveying gan self?
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by vislabraye(m): 1:35am On Nov 09, 2012
The question should be, "what is US doing in the Persian region? Can they do that in China's airspace?
As much as US is a beautifu country, they've also committed atrocities. No one is trying George Bush for war crime. During the invasion of Iraq, how many veto nations supported them?

US is at least five time zones from Persian region.
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 1:38am On Nov 09, 2012
Lagos_Boi:

the question you should ask is what are they surveying gan self?
They are doing surveillance for weapons and infiltration. They are doing that to prevent your Iran and other dangerous states from supplying deadly weapons to your terrorist brothers in the region and beyond. Some of Iranian weapons where intersected in Lagos during the election time.

You speak here as if Iran is clean from spying on its neighbors

2 Likes

Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 1:38am On Nov 09, 2012
all4naija: Nonsense! Just listen to yourself. It would be clear the Kuwaiti, Qatari and co have not told US to leave yet here you are so silly to speak as if you have the right to who should be carrying out surveillance of the area.

Please, fvck off!
ure d one who is very much silly and lackin bhind to comprehend wit ur degraded commonsense,is it america dat will help ur so called kuwaiti,quatari and co to carry out deir routines...wen has america bcome so much concerned wit his affiliated countries national responsibilities ?...sum pple ar nt just wise .
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by vislabraye(m): 1:38am On Nov 09, 2012
all4naija: It is clear you have not single idea of Nuclear weapon. What grants every country the right to have nuclear weapon? It is only in your shallow mind!

What is Israel doing with nuclear weapon? So what parameters are used to determine who should use nuclear weapons?
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 1:42am On Nov 09, 2012
vislabraye: The question should be, "what is US doing in the Persian region? Can they do that in China's airspace?
As much as US is a beautifu country, they've also committed atrocities. No one is trying George Bush for war crime. During the invasion of Iraq, how many veto nations supported them?

US is at least five time zones from Persian region.
Keep asking wrong questions. How many times have your state governor who committed crimes against humanity tried? Please, stop viewing or seeing everything from a single perspective.

There is warrant for surveillance in that region after seeing what terrorists can attempt. Iran is a sponsor of terrorism, possessing Nuclear weapon is a great threat to the world security .

2 Likes

Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by thelastPope(m): 1:43am On Nov 09, 2012
Four more looooooooooong years!

Please pop as much champaigne as you can oh because this is going to be a long journey!
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 1:46am On Nov 09, 2012
vislabraye:

What is Israel doing with nuclear weapon? So what parameters are used to determine who should use nuclear weapons?
Is Israel sponsoring terrorism? Have you forgotten Holocaust so soon and what Germans did to the Jews? I don't think they can compromise that in the position they are in in that region yet have not threatened any nation with the Nuclear weapon they possessed for long time now.
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 1:49am On Nov 09, 2012
jehovahnoni: ure d one who is very much silly and lackin bhind to comprehend wit ur degraded commonsense,is it america dat will help ur so called kuwaiti,quatari and co to carry out deir routines...wen has america bcome so much concerned wit his affiliated countries national responsibilities ?...sum pple ar nt just wise .
Another nonsense comment. How much influence Kuwait and the small middle-eastern nations possess in that region? What have you to say about Kuwait invasion by Saddam Hussein of Iraq?! Please, stop thinking like a child. This is international politics. Don't expect Iran to be clean from doing worst if not put under check. Stop being myopic!
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by adoniza(m): 1:51am On Nov 09, 2012
emmatok: So Iran can't takedown an ordinary UAV.
This even surprised the US commanders.
So much for boasting.

They may have delibrately missed it. They're not fools you know. If they had hit it, it would have been considered an act of war because the drone was at international airspace.
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Areaboy2(m): 1:55am On Nov 09, 2012
all4naija: As if the line in bold makes anything about MIG 35 more important. It only means having a larger fuel tank to go farther places. It is of no use when US bases are within short distances and ranges as well as the aircraft carriers available to take care of such preemptive plan. If long distance is the matter in jet fighter most manufacturer would have opted for nuclear powered fighter jets. I believe in perform, man!

don't confuse operating range with combat radius undecided

dont get it twisted
Re: Iranian Jets Fire On US Drone by Nobody: 1:56am On Nov 09, 2012
Area_boy:

don't confuse operating range with combat radius undecided

dont get it twisted
what's combat radius, dude?!

Combat radius refers to the distance from an airbase that a warplane can reach, patrol there for a set amount of time and return to base with minimal fuel left, thus completing a combat mission-- Culled from Wikipedia.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

President Bukele Of El Salvador Has Deployed 4000 Soldiers To Three Communities / Putin May Cite Ukraine War To Meddle In US Politics / Greece Wildfires - About 80 Dead And Many More Still Missing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.