Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,336 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages (10890 Views)

Filling Stations In Awka Sell Petrol For N250 Per Litre / Buhari Favours Senator Lawan For Senate Presidency, Sahara Reporters / Jagaba Threatens To Sue Lawan For Blackmail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by ballabriggs: 12:04am On Nov 09, 2012
Otedola sues Tambuwal, Lawan for N250 billion damages
Published On: Thu, Nov 8th, 2012

The chairman, Zenon Petroleum and Gas Limited, Mr Femi Otedola has filed a N250 billion suit against the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, and former chairman of the House ad hoc committee on fuel subsidy probe, Honorable Farouk Lawan.

The oil mogul dragged the two legislators before an Abuja High Court, where he is claiming the sum of N250 billion as compensation for business losses he suffered by the action of the two defendants.

The suit filed by Babajide Koku (SAN), is seeking N100 billion as general damages on behalf of Mr Otedola, for acts of intimidation, loss of good-will and patronages occasioned by the acts of the Speaker and Farouk.

Joining in the suit, Zenon Petroleum and Gas Company, a company owned by Mr Otedola, sought another N150 billion against the defendants as exemplary damages for their alleged oppressive and arbitrary actions against him and his company.

Reps to deliberate on Farouk next week

The plaintiff is also challenging an alleged move by the legislators to re-list his company among the oil firms already indicted for allegedly defrauding the federal government with the fuel subsidy scandal.

The House of Representative is expected to deliberate on a report by a committee that was set up to investigate the bribery scandal.

In his 28-point statement of claim, Otedola averred that by resolution of January 8, this year, the lower arm of the legislature, set up an adhoc Committee to verify and determine the actual subsidy amount made to oil companies and to also monitor the implementation of the subsidy in the country.

He claimed that Honourable Farouk later allegedly contacted and informed that his company was going to be indicted for purchasing foreign exchange from Central Bank of Nigeria without importing fuel.

The business man explained that in spite of his explanations, Farouk allegedly demanded $3million bribe to enable Zenon Oil get a clean bill of health.

He contended that Farouk resorted to persistent phone calls threatening him that his company would be included in the list of indicted oil importers and that the image and reputations of Zenon Oil would be greatly affected unless he pays the $3million.

Faced with the unrelenting barrage of intimidating phone calls, the plaintiff claimed that he became distressed and reported the unlawful demands to the security agencies.

He claimed that he secured the advice of security agents to play along by giving marked money to Farouk with a view to gather evidence for the nefarious activities.

Otedola alleged that the situation got to the peak on April 18 when the fuel subsidy probe report was submitted indicting his company.

He further claimed that Farouk called had assured him that Zenon Oil can be delisted from the list of the indicted ones prompting him to give $620,000 marked money in two installments with $500,000 to Farouk and another $120,000 to one Boniface Emenalo on the instruction of Farouk.

With the bribe paid, the plaintiff stated that Farouk on April 24, moved a motion in the House of Representatives to delist the name of Zenon Oil from the indicted company but was still persistent in demanding for balance of $2,380,000 prompting him to report the incident to Police.

The plaintiff asserted that in spite of the on-going police investigation, the Speaker and Honourable Farouk have allegedly conspired to re-list his company among the indicted companies to embarrass him and his business corporate image.

He claimed that the purpose of re-listing Zenon Oil was to force and intimidate him to drop his complaints against Farouk.

Otedola therefore asked the court to award him N250 billion for the grave injuries done to his reputation and business image resulting in the substantial loss of goodwill and patronage of the business built over the years.

However, the Speaker and Farouk have filed an objection to hearing of the suit by an Abuja High Court claiming that it is only the Federal High Court that can adjudicate over such a matter.

Justice Peter Kekemeke of the Abuja high Court has however adjourned the case till November 23 for a substantive hearing.

Source

6 Likes

Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by ballabriggs: 12:06am On Nov 09, 2012
Abeg make I laugh. MUHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!!!!

N250 billion?

Make I laugh again

MUCHOICHOICHOICHOICHOICHOICHOICHOICHOICHOICHOICHOICHOICHOICHOICHOICHOICHOI!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You for just carry Lawan make e dey do houseboy for you. Yeye dey smell

12 Likes

Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:15am On Nov 09, 2012
Sued for 250 billion Naira shocked That's code for saying imma fuc/k you up proper!
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by takedat(m): 12:34am On Nov 09, 2012
This guy with Farook are meant to be in jail by now. Why is it now that he chose to approach the court? Okay, he got hint that the committee set up by the house to investigate him and Lawan will indict him. Woe betide those legislooters to absolve Lawan and the FG to cover up Otedollar.

1 Like

Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by Areaboy2(m): 2:03am On Nov 09, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
Sued for 250 billion Naira shocked That's code for saying imma fuc/k you up proper!

more like, "lets give the dumb Nigerian masses something to distract them". knowing fully well no one will take that case serious. mtcheeww!! i'm gonna soon hate Nigeria (not like it bothers anyone anyway) undecided

4 Likes

Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by legalwealth(m): 2:06am On Nov 09, 2012
It will go as others do go...

Lets wait and see its end
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by lafuria1(m): 2:11am On Nov 09, 2012
family business as usual, na dem sabi. by the way, i havent seen the bribe video, i will appreciate a link to it.
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by IleIfe2(m): 2:29am On Nov 09, 2012
Why are some people saying Otedola should be charged with farouk? This is an obvious case of a racketeer extorting money from a business man. Otedola is not a politician, so i wonder where the idea that he is corrupt comes from.

11 Likes

Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by jimmyboy1010(m): 2:37am On Nov 09, 2012
This is what I called corruption on the highest order!

obalolaunited: 250 billion? Seriously they both need 2 be in jail but trust naija chei naija i hail thee coffee wey i dey drink wan comot 4 my nose
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by Nobody: 3:14am On Nov 09, 2012
Can something stand on nothing?
1.Otedola should have asked d F.G to help him wt a loan of 250 billion cos he has jets 2 buy n new frivolous territories 2 conquer instd of instituting ds action.
2.Lawan & Tambuwal might be revelling in their assumed victory,for now; we knw dt ds particular incident wl surely put the last nail on the coffin of their political irrelevance
3. To d courts; "what happened 2 d maxim -Des minimis non curat lex?"
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by lafuria1(m): 3:34am On Nov 09, 2012
Ile-Ife:
Why are some people saying Otedola should be charged with farouk? This is an obvious case of a racketeer extorting money from a business man. Otedola is not a politician, so i wonder where the idea that he is corrupt comes from.
he does bussiness with the government, thats where the idea of him being corrupt came from. oil or disel markerters collect subsidy money from the govt, the could inflate the quantity they claim to have imported. unlike adenuga or dangote who dont collect a dime from the govt for glo bussines or flour/cement business.

1 Like

Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by mikyke(m): 3:41am On Nov 09, 2012
Nothing good will come out of it...all of dem na thieves dem b, arrgghh!#250bill
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by kenbee(f): 3:51am On Nov 09, 2012
And here comes the biggest joke/Movie of the month!

''the return of OteDOLLAR''
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by adoniza(m): 4:01am On Nov 09, 2012
250 million? Are you kidding me? Sounds more like a joke.
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by ypzilanti: 4:02am On Nov 09, 2012
Who is advising this man? Any debate in Parliament while carrying out its duties and functions are not liable for prosecution.

Got that from my government and law classes like ten years ago.

DOES oteDOLLAR not know this?

1 Like

Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by bright007(f): 4:31am On Nov 09, 2012
....what happened to the bribery scandal involving this Oledollar and Farcrook lawan?....Fracroook should be in a dungeon by now......this country is really running in circles

1 Like

Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by badaru1(m): 4:42am On Nov 09, 2012
Otedola is a fool,u gave someone marked money and he was not arrested immediately,how do u recover the marked money? Abeg u no get case

1 Like

Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by Nobody: 5:14am On Nov 09, 2012
250Billion? Nawa o! Naira is more or less ordinary paper to these guys.
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by ayox2003: 5:32am On Nov 09, 2012
Read some comments up here and I wonder how people could leave out the real issue to name-calling.

What's our concern with Otedola?

I mean, Otedola is a businessman whose sole aim is MMBM (money must be made).

At worst, he is just an archetypal loudmouth brash Nigerian bully boy tycoon.

Its Farouk that should be hanged by the balls. An honourable that demanded and collected bribe in a very sensitive probe? A case that brought people out en mass to protest for days? A case whose aftermath still lingers in some peoples life till today?

If Otedola sues for £1billion, what gives? Who cares?.

The koko is that Farouk, a representative of the people must serve the right jail-term.

The way this matter is being handled, it shows how corruption has entrenched itself into the government of the day. OBJ jailed Tafa Balogun and Bode George, atleast.

Na wa for this government.

Frawzey

5 Likes

Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by khadaffi(m): 5:47am On Nov 09, 2012
Are they still on this issue? I thought the drama was over. Abi this one na the season two?
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by Nobody: 5:49am On Nov 09, 2012
ayox2003: Read some comments up here and I wonder how people could leave out the real issue to name-calling.

What's our concern with Otedola?

I mean, Otedola is a businessman whose sole aim is MMBM (money must be made).

At worse, he is just an archetypal loudmouth brash Nigerian bully boy tycoon.

Its Farouk that should be hanged by the balls. An honourable that demanded and collected bribe in a very sensitive probe? A case that brought people out en mass to protest for days? A case that its aftermath still lingers in some peoples life till today?

If Otedola sues for £1billion, what gives? Who cares?.

The koko is that Farouk, a representative of the people must serve the right jail-term.

The way this matter is being handled, it shows how corruption has entrenched itself into the government of the day. OBJ jailed Tafa Balogun and Bode George, atleast.

Na wa for this government.

Frawzey

You are correct. But on a lighter note, are you not shocked that someone is suing for 250 billion naira? If half the cost is awarded, where on earth is that going to come from? Is Otedollar saying Tambuwal and Lawan are far more than 250 billion?

Anyway, both of them -Facrook and Otedollar are corrupt. The chairman of the Committee on Corruption is GEJ. Is it Subsidy funds, Malabu oil, Stock market probe, pension funds, Ribadu probe, or appointment of unqualified Patience as Perm Sec, etc ? Corruption can not fight corruption. GEJ is too corrupt to lift a finger against anyone. How can one even rationalize that Lawan has not been charged to court in a country where phone thieves are burnt to death? Naa arrangeee government we dey.

1 Like

Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by IleIfe2(m): 5:59am On Nov 09, 2012
la furia:
he does bussiness with the government, thats where the idea of him being corrupt came from. oil or disel markerters collect subsidy money from the govt, the could inflate the quantity they claim to have imported. unlike adenuga or dangote who dont collect a dime from the govt for glo bussines or flour/cement business.

Man, doing business with the government does not make him corrupt. if i've been following this news correctly, Otedola's company purchased foreign exchange from the CBN without using it for the purpose it stated. if i'm right, there was no free money involved here, unlike the Tukurs, Ahmadu Alis, Dantatas and Andy Ubas.
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by Alxmyr(m): 6:01am On Nov 09, 2012
One thing that struck me about Mr. Otedola is that since the beginning of this saga, he has not change his story. Whereas we have heard more than three versions of same scandal.
Second, he sued for civil case and not criminal case. This is a smart move, since the state have refused to press criminal charge against them.

2 Likes

Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by paulworld(m): 6:02am On Nov 09, 2012
funny right, but this is bull shit, rubish. FROM THIS PROBLEM TO THE OTHER LORD HAVE MERCY UPON US ALL
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by IleIfe2(m): 6:02am On Nov 09, 2012
Prof Corruption:
You are correct. But on a lighter note, are you not shocked that someone is suing for 250 billion naira? If half the cost is awarded, where on earth is that going to come from? Is Otedollar saying Tambuwal and Lawan are far more than 250 billion?

Anyway, both of them -Facrook and Otedollar are corrupt. The chairman of the Committee on Corruption is GEJ. Is it Subsidy funds, Malabu oil, Stock market probe, pension funds, Ribadu probe, or appointment of unqualified Patience as Perm Sec, etc ? Corruption can not fight corruption. GEJ is too corrupt to lift a finger against anyone. How can one even rationalize that Lawan has not been charged to court in a country where phone thieves are burnt to death? Naa arrangeee government we dey.

If i get your point, every Nigerian is corrupt, but the criminal in this case is Farouk. I think a judge has the power to award whatever he/she feels is reasonable if a plaintiff wins a case.
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by Nobody: 6:04am On Nov 09, 2012
Ile-Ife:

Man, doing business with the government does not make him corrupt. if i've been following this news correctly, Otedola's company purchased foreign exchange from the CBN without using it for the purpose it stated. if i'm right, there was no free money involved here, unlike the Tukurs, Ahmadu Alis, Dantatas and Andy Ubas.

In any corruption case: there must be a giver, the receiver and evidence. The law does not exonerate the giver.
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by Alxmyr(m): 6:04am On Nov 09, 2012
ypzilanti: Who is advising this man? Any debate in Parliament while carrying out its duties and functions are not liable for prosecution.

Got that from my government and law classes like ten years ago.

DOES oteDOLLAR not know this?

Your government and law classes of 10 years are obsolate, so please update your knowledge.

Dino Melaye sued Dimeji Bankole as the Speaker and the entire House of Rep, and he got judgement against them.

Do you have any other obsolate knowledge?

Court Nullifies Suspension of Melaye, Others
[size=15pt][/size]

A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja yesterday quashed the suspension of the eleven members of the House who have been shut out of the parliament for nearly six months.

The lawmakers were suspended in June and their offices sealed apparently to prevent them from gaining access to some of the documents they had used in their media campaign to have the leadership of the House investigated.
Reacting to the development, the House of Representatives says it may appeal against yesterday’s ruling.

Chairman House Committee on Media and Publicity, Honourable Eseme Eyiboh who dropped the hint while reacting to the ruling said the House was yet to be served with the judgement but may appeal against it if it felt dissatisfied with the verdict.
The suspended lawmakers headed to court to challenge their suspension, but some of them soon retreated from the legal battle and made peace with the House.

This led to the recall of two of them namely Honourable Ehiogie West-Idahosa and Honourable Gbenga Onigbogi.

Those who won the legal contest over their suspension included Dino Melaye, Independence Ogunewe, Solomon Awhinawi, Abbas Anas, Gbenga Oduwaiye, Kayode Amusan, Bitrus Kaze and Doris Uboh. Austin Nwachukwu had earlier withdrawn from the suit in expectation of an amnesty.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/court-nullifies-suspension-of-melaye-others/72822/
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by IleIfe2(m): 6:09am On Nov 09, 2012
Prof Corruption:

In any corruption case: there must be a giver, the receiver and evidence. The law does not exonerate the giver.

I think it's a case of extortion and intimidation
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by KINGwax(m): 6:14am On Nov 09, 2012
Ile-Ife:
and even if he was corrupt. This guy is a good businessman, he knew the steps, played his game and walks free. It takes guts and business tactics to kill your enemy. Knw dt. He's jes showing them, how tactically sound, and fiercely strong it took him, to survive and be established as one of the tops. Ask Abramnovic, trump, dangotte, gates and the rest, they'll tell u how mad the aura is!
A good business man talk less, but when he does, he watch u play his games, to your grave

1 Like

Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by Nobody: 6:15am On Nov 09, 2012
Ile-Ife:

I think it's case of extortion, intimidation and racketeering.

I disagree. It's a case of corruption. Otedola confessed giving money to Lawan. Lawan agreed taking money from Otedola. There is video and audio pieces of evidence to prove case. Otedola gave money in anticipation of favor which was surgically accomplished on the floor of the House of Representative by Lawan. Voice analysis can be done to ascertain authenticity of the evidence.

Show me how it's a case of intimidation and extortion. I am waiting.
Re: Otedola Sues Tambuwal, Lawan For N250 Billion Damages by IleIfe2(m): 6:19am On Nov 09, 2012
Prof Corruption:

I disagree. It's a case of corruption. Otedola confessed giving money to Lawan. Lawan agreed taking money from Otedola. There is video and audio pieces of evidence to prove case. Otedola gave money in anticipation of favor which was surgically accomplished on the floor of the House of Representative by Lawan. Voice analysis can be done to ascertain authenticity of the evidence.

Show me how it's a case of intimidation and extortion. I am waiting.

He contended that Farouk resorted to persistent phone calls threatening him that his company would be included in the list of indicted oil importers and that the image and reputations of Zenon Oil would be greatly affected unless he pays the $3million.

Faced with the unrelenting barrage of intimidating phone calls, the plaintiff claimed that he became distressed and reported the unlawful demands to the security agencies.

He claimed that he secured the advice of security agents to play along by giving marked money to Farouk with a view to gather evidence for the nefarious activities

Video tape and recorded phone calls.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can Federal Government Sack Nlc Workers Obeying Strike? / Electricity Tariff Will Increase Despite Poor Supply -NERC / Interim Report Of Presidential Committee On The Audit Of Defence Equipment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.