Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,334 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:25 AM

Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? (16727 Views)

Nigerian Parents And Their Daughters: Hilarious Photo Of The Day / Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? / Why do Fathers Love their Daughters More & Mothers their Sons? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by Mavrick2012: 1:23pm On Nov 09, 2012
"Mum,should i go and be begging men on the street to marry me?

Do you want me to pack my load and enter into the house of any of my male friends? Hace always told you that God's time is the best. If you are fed up with me in this house please tell me so that i can leave the house for you and dad.

These are the exact words my younger sister said yesterday when i visited my family house, though she is a working graduate, my parent have been piling pressure on her to bring a man for marriage

my sister 31, has never liked the idea of renting a personal accommodation, she prefer the idea of moving' from her father's house to her husbands house'.

i really don't understand why my parent don't want to appreciate the fact that,unlike men,women have limited say concerning the timing of their marriage,as far as my parent are concerned "she is due".

i understand their are many ladies out there undergoing the same challenge.

what i don't understand is "why d pressure"?

i need more advice to giev to my sister pls.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by Lawconfessor(f): 2:12pm On Nov 09, 2012
Encourage her to stick to God's time being d Best.

But it'll be good enough if U'll get to have a heart-to-heart talk wif ur parent to understand d fact dat d pressure dey re mounting on her can cause her making a very drastic mistake in choosing a LIFE partner.

GOOD LUCK to her
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by Afam4eva(m): 2:36pm On Nov 09, 2012
The want to see their grandchildren before they die...Parents should learn that they're not the ones getting marries so they should leave their children to marry when they like and even if they decide not to marry, it's not anyone's business.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by otokx(m): 2:38pm On Nov 09, 2012
is it only daughters? Son's nko? where is redmosquito sef?
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by nizelgirl(f): 2:44pm On Nov 09, 2012
To avoid mockery from people.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by maclatunji: 2:45pm On Nov 09, 2012
Maybe because they know that their daughters are having sex anyway with different men all in the name of courtship and they are like: "there is no perfect man anywhere, choose a reasonable one and make progress with your life."

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by kingsceemark(m): 2:46pm On Nov 09, 2012
No comment, i don't have any knowledge about marriage. Go meet your pastor or immam for advice.
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by AkinDavid2: 2:48pm On Nov 09, 2012
Initially i wanted to comment comically that they(Parents) wanted a new you grin but reading carefully, their are more reasons that are best known to the affected Parents. Take for example:
1. Age on both sides(Parent and the Person)
2. Social Status of the Parents involved
3. Is there a problem with the one under pressure..Kind of Spiritual
4. The parent want to see their Grand children since every other thing is "OK"
E.T.C!!! But a candid check on priorities have to come into play here and how both parties are able to see things in different views. Things will always work out when we tread the right path with wisdom.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Nov 09, 2012
I guess coz early marriage in girls,,is the norm in Nigeria
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 09, 2012
its a pity
sometimes i wish that our parents will understand the times.

Even a 21yr old girl is already being pressured to bring her suitor
Just because she graduated from school early.

even if her not getting married is due to any fault of hers, i still think our parents should
learn to give their children sound advice, instead of pushing them to the wall....
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by Blackbody20(m): 2:55pm On Nov 09, 2012
They see marriage as a big success, they also want to make sure they see thier grand children. But no matter the pressure, it wont change the fact thats God's time is the best.
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by Blackbody20(m): 2:55pm On Nov 09, 2012
They see marriage as a big success, they also want to make sure they see thier grand children. But no matter the pressure, it wont change the fact that God's time is the best.
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by Damitism: 3:03pm On Nov 09, 2012
Pls, tell her this ''Unless you don't want to marry and get kids. You are playing with miscarridge and your menopause is fast approaching" 31 is not a small number in 'aging world' for women.
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by otokx(m): 3:04pm On Nov 09, 2012
When one of my female colleagues told me that marriage is an achievement then i knew Nigeria is in deep poo.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by Shieldjnr: 3:09pm On Nov 09, 2012
is becos they don't want to train bastard in the name of grand child
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by Catchfire1: 3:15pm On Nov 09, 2012
because they want to tie gele and do owambe cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by AkinDavid2: 3:16pm On Nov 09, 2012
Damitism: Pls, tell her this ''Unless you don't want to marry and get kids. You are playing with miscarridge and your menopause is fast approaching" 31 is not a small number in 'aging world' for women.
Simple thing, advice!!! and not instruct. ha!! cheesy
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by kokoye(m): 3:17pm On Nov 09, 2012
culture, tradition and society beliefs.

Poverty is also part of it. Some believe that having loads of daughters will make them rich in future - at least one will land a rich man.
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by Xano(m): 3:17pm On Nov 09, 2012
if what you said is true, i advice you to inform your sister to get her own place and move into it. Your parents will not stop. Your mum will not stop. Your mum's friends and siblings will encourage her to pressure her harder. She will continue to repeat it, even to drive your sister crazy and unhappy. Inform her to let God's spirit guide her.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by shineeye1: 3:18pm On Nov 09, 2012
This initiative of the parents should not be termed "pressure". The parents are merely giving the children desired FOCUS in life. Even if you choose to call it pressure, you must agree that it is usually subtle and without acrimony. The parent's push is just a gentle urge to make the children go for the responsible option in life. Indeed, it is a godly legacy that every parent must pass on to the children. They are undertaking a reasonable and desirable godly obligation for which they must be understood and not criticized.The urge from parents should not be taken as a stampede to take nervous decisions. They should be seen as loving persuasions to do what is godly. The world prefers the reign of free and unrestrained sex between mature men and women. But God has since taught many HIS acceptable use of sex within marriage. A supporter of marriage is an agent of God. Easily, the oppossers of marriage,in whatever sense, at sexual maturity are conscious or unconscious agents of devils.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Nov 09, 2012
An ex of mine just told me her mum had started disturbing her three days ago about marriage. She is 26 and really worried about her not having a relationship of her choice though she is in one she doesnt like.

She was telling me to let us stop making out (not my fault though, we always just find eachother in our arms) with eachother since we are exes and that I should pls marry her.

I pity her men.
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by maclatunji: 3:28pm On Nov 09, 2012
shine-eye:
This initiative of the parents should not be termed "pressure". The parents are merely giving the children desired FOCUS in life. Even if you choose to call it pressure, you must agree that it is usually subtle and without acrimony. The parent's push is just a gentle urge to make the children go for the responsible option in life. Indeed, it is a godly legacy that every parent must pass on to the children. They are undertaking a reasonable and desirable godly obligation for which they must be understood and not criticized.The urge from parents should not be taken as a stampede to take nervous decisions. They should be seen as loving persuasions to do what is godly. The world prefers the reign of free and unrestrained sex between mature men and women. But God has since taught many HIS acceptable use of sex within marriage. A supporter of marriage is an agent of God. Easily, the oppossers of marriage,in whatever sense, at sexual maturity are conscious or unconscious agents of devils.

Kizonzo!
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by Revolva(m): 3:38pm On Nov 09, 2012
But some Nigerian ladies sabi sakara well well they don't see any guy reasonable anymore _ men don chop dem tire - so dats why mum gat to bat dem out from the crib

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Nov 09, 2012
Let her get 4 bottles of hypo bleach,2 iron sponges,a bag of Klin detergent,she should go to a flowing river,let her wash her head there,and throw away the sponge,without looking back,I swear before 2020,she go see husband.. Someone shout Halleluyah!

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by GHANAOGA: 3:46pm On Nov 09, 2012
Yomieluv: Let her get 4 bottles of hypo bleach,2 iron sponges,a bag of Klin detergent,she should go to a flowing river,let her wash her head there,and throw away the sponge,without looking back,I swear before 2020,she go see husband.. Someone shout Halleluyah!

Lol
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by tpia1: 3:55pm On Nov 09, 2012
The parents should also try to find her one or more suitors.

Sometimes people do need help in this area.

They ( parents) can look for matchmakers or at least let people know they're scouting for eligible young men.
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by Clemzy16(m): 3:58pm On Nov 09, 2012
Seriously!! 31 is not a small number. I wonder what your sister looks like. Isn't she pretty?! You know, when a lady stays that long in the parents house she automatically becomes a useless material. Anyways, i pray that [b]God will find her a man of her choice as soon as possible. Because time is not our friend.
Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by fankasibe: 4:04pm On Nov 09, 2012
Love is Blind, but marriage will open the blind eyez.
It is better to marry late than to divorce very early.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry? by maclatunji: 4:05pm On Nov 09, 2012
tpia1: The parents should also try to find her one or more suitors.

Sometimes people do need help in this area.

They ( parents) can look for matchmakers or at least let people know they're scouting for eligible young men.

Very practical advice.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buy A Wife From Vietnam (100% virgin) / Why Are Women Outliving Men? / Funny Things You Inherited From Your Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.