Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:42 AM

Mixed Marriage - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mixed Marriage (2621 Views)

Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage / Iron Mixed With Clay -the Cyborg Future (daniel 2:33nd43) / The Bible Says "do Not Wear Clothes Of Mixed Fabric" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mixed Marriage by hotfunmi(f): 6:06am On Feb 02, 2008
Is it worth it to compromise your belief because of love?. I freaked out when my aunt told me this evening that she's getting married come april to a muslim man. Is it theologically right for a good christian? Can you as a christian marry a man or woman that practices another religion even if he/she will allow you to keep your own religion? Remember that the bible said that 'a family that prays together stays together'.
How will such a family work if they cannot pray together? besides, what religion will the children that will come after follow?
Re: Mixed Marriage by 4Him(m): 6:09am On Feb 02, 2008
It is for a reason that Christ warns us not to be unequally yoked in marriage.
Re: Mixed Marriage by hotfunmi(f): 7:17am On Feb 02, 2008
It is for a reason that Christ warns us not to be unequally yoked in marriage.

So, it's morally wrong for a christian to marry a non christian? What about those that switch faith? What if he/she comes home one day and tell you he/she is considering Islam as a new religion? divorce? I'll rather die than marry a moslem sha.
Re: Mixed Marriage by olabowale(m): 3:21pm On Feb 02, 2008
@Hotfunmi: Prepare for your funeral! Its only a matter of time!
Re: Mixed Marriage by Logical(m): 5:25pm On Feb 02, 2008
Quite interesting, how religion can create discrimination inside the heart of those that follows its path. Sad
Re: Mixed Marriage by hotfunmi(f): 7:44pm On Feb 02, 2008
@Hotfunmi: Prepare for your funeral! Its only a matter of time!
I don't understand
Re: Mixed Marriage by hotfunmi(f): 7:47pm On Feb 02, 2008
Quite interesting, how religion can create discrimination inside the heart of those that follows its path. Sad
This is not about religion, it's the etiquette in the religion. I cannot marry a buddhist, shinto, moslem, ifa worshipper etc because I pray through Jesus while they pray through cows or mohammed. How will that work out in a marriage where I believe in the deity of christ but my husband believes that christ is a mere prophet like mohammed?  I believe in group family prayers and  a home where there are two principal religions will always be in a shambles.
Re: Mixed Marriage by 4Him(m): 7:55pm On Feb 02, 2008
Logical:

you could say the same for skin color or tribe. The fact is that compatibility is a huge part of marriage . . . most men wont marry a woman who is not educationally on par with them, why shld religion be any different?
Re: Mixed Marriage by hotfunmi(f): 8:22pm On Feb 02, 2008
you could say the same for skin color or tribe. The fact is that compatibility is a huge part of marriage . . . most men wont marry a woman who is not educationally on par with them, why shld religion be any different?

Good.
Re: Mixed Marriage by joshjosh(m): 8:37pm On Feb 02, 2008
better to catchup than clean up. nobody knows better than God. He knows the heart of all men. He said it is not possible for 2 to walk together except they agree who are we to argue with that? light and darkness don't mix.

mole and Christianity don't go together. it is a marriage of convenience that will certainly end in heart ache for the woman. God help her before that time to get deliverance.

what is wrong with all the men around her? this is adura time i would say if she was my sister
Re: Mixed Marriage by Logical(m): 9:22pm On Feb 02, 2008
Religious doctrine said this, religious doctrine says that, it all goes around the same circle. Religion has caused so much mayhem and atrocities in the world today, thats is very sad that the motion is always backed by the same doctrine, itself. Be it discrimination or crime against humanity. I think believing in God is a personal thing, it maybe have something to do with values but it has nothing to do with living with each other or amongst each other in peace and harmony. Nor does it have anything to do with respecting each others views and opinions and allowing each other to his or her own.

Why do I say so?
Humanity was created not to have the same opinion, culture and values or creed. We are created in different society with different cultural norms. We are suppose to respect each others varied values and opinions otherwise why do we scream freedom when we want to have our own rights to do something or have something.

why do we even get educated, if we believe that everybody has to think or has to share the same values with us?

A civilized society is that which encourages freedom of opinion and beliefs and that which encourages variety in values as long as it conforms to the basic rules and laws that ensures peace and harmony to that society. A civilized person is a person that shares that value.

I don't know the kind of education people with religious engraved dogma usually have, because sometimes i tend to think religion is cultism. The mindset of people with such a dogma do amaze me, especially the way they hate or dislike the people that do not share the same beliefs and opinions with them. Its very pathetic.

Compatibility goes in the realms of being able to live with each other based on certain standards and has nothing to do with personal beliefs such as religion. I think religion is a personal thing.
Re: Mixed Marriage by 4Him(m): 10:18pm On Feb 02, 2008
Logical:

Compatibility goes in the realms of being able to live with each other based on certain standards and has nothing to do with personal beliefs such as religion. I think religion is a personal thing.

Correct me if i'm wrong but compatibility is also a personal thing. If compatibility has "nothing to do with personal beliefs" why then do we have people judging their potential partners on the basis of skin color or tribe?
Re: Mixed Marriage by Logical(m): 10:21pm On Feb 02, 2008
4Him:

Correct me if i'm wrong but compatibility is also a personal thing. If compatibility has "nothing to do with personal beliefs" why then do we have people judging their potential partners on the basis of skin color or tribe?

Allow me to ask, but are you trying to rationalize racism and tribalism? Are you saying its alright to be a racist or a tribalist?
Re: Mixed Marriage by Logical(m): 10:32am On Feb 03, 2008
The most astonishing part of all this is racism, discrimination and even prejudice is not promoted by the bible, but some Christians preach and practice it, and claim either that makes them more Christian or that is part of being a Christian, when in fact, it makes them more of the Christian devil.

According to the Christian bible.

1. [/b]All human being are created in the image and likeness of God (Genesis 1:26-27).

[b]2. [/b]God loves the entire world (John 3:16)

[b]3.
Jesus laid down His life for everyone in the entire world (1 John 2:2).

4. God does not show partiality or favoritism (Deuteronomy 10:17; Acts 10:34; Romans 2:11; Ephesians 6:9), and neither should Christians.

5. [/b]James 2:4 describes anyone who shows discrimination as “judges with evil thoughts.” Instead, Christians are to love and only love, “love our neighbors as ourselves” (James 2:8 ).

[b]6.
Jesus puts an end to the Jews pride of their status and despise against the Gentiles, by destroying the dividing wall of hostility (Ephesians 2:14).

7. Jesus commands Christians to love each other as He loves them (John 13:34)

8. At the end of of Matthew 25. Jesus say that If Christians treat a person with contempt, they are mistreating a person created in God’s image; they are hurting somebody that God loves and Jesus died for.

[b]9. [/b]Ephesians 4:32 says an I quote, “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”

And lastly to all racist and discriminating Christians, if you are really Christians as you call yourselves, and supposedly believe in what the Bible tells you, You need to present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God” (Romans 6:13)

Therefore @hotfunmi, @4Him and other Christians that think racism, discrimination or tribalism is acceptable by your beliefs, I have spoken the language you best understand.
Re: Mixed Marriage by joshjosh(m): 3:35pm On Feb 03, 2008
read this article. i believe life is too great to waste with an unbeliever. how can a man that does not trust and respect your Christ respect you? this buy now pay later relationships are not worth it.

What is Unequally Yoked?
By Nathan Mates
5/4/00
One of the 'Christianese' phrases uttered often in the church, in the context of marriage, is the idea of not being unequally yoked. That phrase comes from the King James (aka 'Authorized') version of the Bible, which states this: "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" [2 Corinthians 6:14/KJV]. For a more modern translation, the NIV states that verse as "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?" [NIV]

In short, this verse is advice to believers that they should only marry other believers. The rest of the advice on this by Paul is as follows: "What harmony is there between Christ and Belial ? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people." "Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you."" [/i][2 Corinthians 6:15-17/NIV]

Paul's comment here is that believers and nonbelievers do have nothing in common, so trying to start a marriage with such a disparity will only lead to problems. God is to be at the center of a Christian marriage, and if half of the humans involved don't acknowledge that, tensions will arise.

Note that this does apply to marriages that started off with two unbelievers, but one spouse becomes a believer later. Paul said this earlier in his letters: "To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him." [1 Corinthians 7:12-13]

Like so many parts of the New Testament that may seem to stand on their own, looking at the history of this issue in the Old Testament is instructive to see the basis for this. From the beginning, when God called Abraham out of his homeland to give him the land of Canaan, intermarriage with the locals was out of the question. In getting a wife for his son Isaac, he said "I want you to swear by the LORD, the God of heaven and the God of earth, that you will not get a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I am living[i]
," [Genesis 24:3] And later, Isaac passed on the same advice to his son: "So Isaac called for Jacob and blessed him and commanded him: "Do not marry a Canaanite woman." [Genesis 28:1]

Centuries later, as the Israelites were about to enter the promised land, Moses spoke God's commands to the people: "Do not intermarry with them. Do not give your daughters to their sons or take their daughters for your sons, for they will turn your sons away from following me to serve other gods, and the Lord's anger will burn against you and will quickly destroy you." [Deuteronomy 7:3-4]

Moses's commands were not just of a purely theoretical knowledge of what might happen when the Israelites intermarried, they came after incidents that had already demonstrated that. Earlier, "While Israel was staying in Shittim, the men began to indulge in sexual immorality with Moabite women, who invited them to the sacrifices to their gods. The people ate and bowed down before these gods. So Israel joined in worshiping the Baal of Peor. And the Lord's anger burned against them." [Numbers 25:1-3]

Even the wisest man of the Old Testament, king Solomon of Israel stumbled in this area. He took 700 wives and 300 concubines, and "As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been. He followed Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, and Molech the detestable god of the Ammonites. So Solomon did evil in the eyes of the LORD; he did not follow the LORD completely, as David his father had done." [1 Kings 11:4-6]

From the Old Testament, we see more of the reasons behind God's commands not to marry nonbelievers-- they tend to lead believers astray. In some ways, this is also a warning to not associate too closely with nonbelievers in arenas of life outside of marriage; one can get corrupted there as well. However, marriage is different from those other areas: it is designed to be permanent, as well as intimate. If we're witnessing to nonbelievers, we can do so for an hour or few, then come back to the safety of the church and other believers, but such an experience is not possible within marriage.

As with all things, consider carefully who you hang around with, and what you do. As long as we can be influenced by others, we should be careful to influence the world far more than the world influences us.

from http://www.visi.com/~nathan/xtian/unequalyoke.html
Re: Mixed Marriage by Pianist: 3:53pm On Feb 03, 2008
Thanks Josh. I think I know you somewhere
Re: Mixed Marriage by Logical(m): 6:25pm On Feb 03, 2008
As usual old testament to the rescue. smiley Aren't you all proud of yourself? Dismissing New Testament, Very convenient it is. You are quoting the old testament to rationalize your position regarding racism.
Re: Mixed Marriage by hotfunmi(f): 6:30pm On Feb 03, 2008
By joshjosh
read this article. i believe life is too great to waste with an unbeliever. how can a man that does not trust and respect your Christ respect you? this buy now pay later relationships are not worth it.
Thank you Josh. I weep for my aunt because she does not know what she is entering. She told me that as long as they love each other, every other thing is secondary. I am yet to see the praises that will be in her mouth when her husband comes back with a second wife. My greatest concern is her kids, will they be worshipping christ and mohammed at the same time? That is hypocrisy and God commands us in the 10 commandments to worship no other God beside him. Marriage cannot come between me and my God.
Re: Mixed Marriage by Logical(m): 6:48pm On Feb 03, 2008
Just curious, @hotfunmi, are you embracing the old testament now? smiley And living by its laws and commandments?
Re: Mixed Marriage by atutupoyo(f): 6:57pm On Feb 03, 2008
Marriage is a life time commitment. This is not about doctrines or discrimination. It is reality. Okay U both can live together how do pray together?
What religious believe would ur children have?
It would cause alot of problems just Marry someone with the same religious believe.
Re: Mixed Marriage by hotfunmi(f): 10:15pm On Feb 03, 2008
@logical, what do you mean? the 10 commandments are still valid, ain't they?
Re: Mixed Marriage by osisi5: 3:48am On Feb 04, 2008
hotfunmi:

Thank you Josh. I weep for my aunt because she does not know what she is entering. She told me that as long as they love each other, every other thing is secondary. I am yet to see the praises that will be in her mouth when her husband comes back with a second wife. My greatest concern is her kids, will they be worshipping christ and mohammed at the same time? That is hypocrisy and God commands us in the 10 commandments to worship no other God beside him. Marriage cannot come between me and my God.

MY sister warn her fervently and pray that she does a 180 before that man gains a greater part of her heart.
So many women especially when their biological clock has ticked and tocked,do tumbom tumbom and marry anything that shows up in a shokoto just to answer Mrs somebody.
This is the time to tell her the consequences if you don't want to start praying MFM prayers for her in months and years to come. grin
A Christian should not be yoked with unbelievers.
What kind of Christian is she sef?
That is not the will of God or her ,she needs to read her Bible.
Re: Mixed Marriage by Dreloaded(f): 4:01am On Feb 04, 2008
How creepy. A good friend of mine whose mom is also supposedly a strong Christian is also getting married to some muslim man sometime this year.

Funmi, where does this your aunt live? tongue
Re: Mixed Marriage by osisi5: 4:13am On Feb 04, 2008
It looks like these muslim men did "meeting" and are on the prowl for Christian girls.
Olabowole says Christian girls are lose and dirty yet they are falling over themselves to grab them.
What happened to their own sisters?,not "sexy " enough for alhaji's?

I spent some time in Northern Nigeria,if you see how these alhaji's run after southern girls.
You'll just be walking down jejely down a road with some friends and before you know it some alhaji dan Bauchi is stopping beside you and saying enticing words wih that their fine Hausa accent.

And they sabi chase women.
Kai menene!!
The smiles alone can make a girl forget her Bible if care is not taken.
Then if the girl happens to be light skinned,the Alhaji will be practically salivating as he's speaking.
I can definitely see how that can happen.
I don't know if they're taught the art of women chasing at the mosques.
A cousin of mine almost married a Kano state Muslim thanks to her praying mother,the marriage was cancelled in heaven.
Re: Mixed Marriage by hotfunmi(f): 8:05am On Feb 04, 2008
Funmi, where does this your aunt live?
Dallas
Re: Mixed Marriage by hotfunmi(f): 8:11am On Feb 04, 2008
By logical
The most astonishing part of all this is racism, discrimination and even prejudice is not promoted by the bible, but some Christians preach and practice it, and claim either that makes them more Christian or that is part of being a Christian, when in fact, it makes them more of the Christian devil.

There is no racism or prejudice here, christians are just following the guidelines handed down to them by christ their lord and saviour or is it now a crime to have a choice?
Muslims don't eat pork while christians do; have you heard any christian before trying to force them to eat pork? it's their choice, their religious obligation and so on and we have no business with that. in the same vein, christians are expected to marry fellow xtians, why is it now prejudice? how? . If this wasn't an online discussion, you and your religious faithfuls would've used dagger or bomb to force us to intermarry with you.
Re: Mixed Marriage by lafile(m): 8:15am On Feb 04, 2008
@Logical
The same Jesus (and Bible) that you quoted says in John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

How can a Christian (who believes the above statement) truly love someone who doesnt believe in Jesus Christ? How can you pray with such a person?
Re: Mixed Marriage by Logical(m): 10:22am On Feb 04, 2008
hotfunmi:

If this wasn't an online discussion, you and your religious faithfuls would've used dagger or bomb to force us to intermarry with you.

hmm, and what makes you think I believe in the concept of religion and have supposed faithfuls. Besides its sad that you can't have any civilized conversation without provocative statements like this, grow up, dear, its about time.

When others counter my arguments, I expect them to dismiss my quotations, one by one, but they didn't. Here they are again, I would appreciate if my interpretation and insight are dismissed throughly.

Logical:

According to the Christian bible.

1. [/b]All human being are created in the image and likeness of God (Genesis 1:26-27).

[b]2. [/b]God loves the entire world (John 3:16)

[b]3.
Jesus laid down His life for everyone in the entire world (1 John 2:2).

4. God does not show partiality or favoritism (Deuteronomy 10:17; Acts 10:34; Romans 2:11; Ephesians 6:9), and neither should Christians.

5. [/b]James 2:4 describes anyone who shows discrimination as “judges with evil thoughts.” Instead, Christians are to love and only love, “love our neighbors as ourselves” (James 2:8 ).

[b]6.
Jesus puts an end to the Jews pride of their status and despise against the Gentiles, by destroying the dividing wall of hostility (Ephesians 2:14).

7. Jesus commands Christians to love each other as He loves them (John 13:34)

8. At the end of of Matthew 25. Jesus say that If Christians treat a person with contempt, they are mistreating a person created in God’s image; they are hurting somebody that God loves and Jesus died for.

[b]9. [/b]Ephesians 4:32 says an I quote, “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”

And lastly to all racist and discriminating Christians, if you are really Christians as you call yourselves, and supposedly believe in what the Bible tells you, You need to present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God” (Romans 6:13)

Therefore @hotfunmi, @4Him and other Christians that think racism, discrimination or tribalism is acceptable by your beliefs, I have spoken the language you best understand.
Re: Mixed Marriage by hotfunmi(f): 4:55pm On Feb 04, 2008
@Logical
The same Jesus (and Bible) that you quoted says in John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

How can a Christian (who believes the above statement) truly love someone who doesnt believe in Jesus Christ? How can you pray with such a person?
Ask him!
Re: Mixed Marriage by Eclairs: 4:51pm On Feb 07, 2008
Not a gud idea.

Biblical, I dnt think its right.
Re: Mixed Marriage by hotfunmi(f): 12:36am On Feb 08, 2008
By Logical
The above mentined vices are not supported by christianity. I don't know how you developed 'equally yoked' to tribalism and racism etc. Because you chose a mercedes over a BMW does not mean that you hate the BMW. For a smooth relationship, you need to be equally yoked or?
Re: Mixed Marriage by Hndholder(m): 9:59am On Feb 08, 2008
Women love the man that follows her about on her religion. But never did the word LOVE have any bearing in marital life. Religious leaders only use marriage as a weapon of keeping the faithfuls. Marriage is marriage. Once there is understanding I have no problem with MIXED MARRIAGE.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pastors, Their Wives And Billboards. / I Need Your Prayers And Advice; Deliverance From Near Success Syndrome. / Why U Should Thank GOD Each Time U Visit Nairaland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.