Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,712 members, 7,805,935 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Igbo learning thread + Translator - Culture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo learning thread + Translator (228200 Views)

Translator / Looking For A Calabar Translator / Online English To Igbo Translator ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 10:05pm On Dec 27, 2012
Eze Promoe:
You don't have to blame me so much for that, coming to think of it the only meaning of nsu that came into my mind is 'stammering', so i thought much of it and then decided to apply guesswork.

I'm not blaming you; there's no problem at all. Wahala no dey.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 10:23pm On Dec 27, 2012
Eze Promoe:
Bro, you've tried.

Thanks to u guys....... This is gonna be one of my achievement on Nairaland!!!!!
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 12:03am On Dec 30, 2012
odumchi refuses to teach me. angry
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 12:33am On Dec 30, 2012
I have a question: how do you properly write expressions like "look at", "I don't know", and "I know" in standard written Igbo?

Which one is correct?

Leekwanu or leekwa nu or lee kwa nu

Amaghi m or Amaghim

*Kails*:
odumchi refuses to teach me. angry

Allegations upon Allegations!
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 12:35am On Dec 30, 2012
And of these, which one is the proper way of saying "I know" in standard Igbo or are both acceptable?

Is it "amam" or "m ma"?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 8:25am On Dec 30, 2012
odumchi: I have a question: how do you properly write expressions like "look at", "I don't know", and "I know" in standard written Igbo?

Which one is correct?

Leekwanu or leekwa nu or lee kwa nu

Amaghi m or Amaghim
When i checked last in the Igbo bible, it was refered to as 'leenu', so i think i'm right.

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 8:26am On Dec 30, 2012
odumchi: And of these, which one is the proper way of saying "I know" in standard Igbo or are both acceptable?

Is it "amam" or "m ma"?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 8:34am On Dec 30, 2012
I've heard and used n'ekwa/n'ekwa nu. That's how I've seen it spelled.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 9:26am On Dec 30, 2012
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 9:38am On Dec 30, 2012
Thanks Ogugua and Eze. This is interesting.

Another question I have is this:

When writing, how do you know when to use 'gh' and when to use 'h'? A couple of examples are:

Deciet - ughoro or uhoro?

To conjur - igha or iha?

To leave alone - ighapu or ihapu?

To turn into - igho or iho?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 11:35pm On Dec 30, 2012
odumchi: Thanks Ogugua and Eze. This is interesting.

Another question I have is this:

When writing, how do you know when to use 'gh' and when to use 'h'? A couple of examples are:

Deciet - ughoro or uhoro?

To conjur - igha or iha?

To leave alone - ighapu or ihapu?

To turn into - igho or iho?
There is no point of confusion in these two words as they both are two different words. Gh is pronounced just as someone who finds it difficult to pronounce letter R. E.g of this is Ughelli, a place in Delta state. While H is pronounced how its been pronounced.
In the e.g you gave above, lets use igho and iho for example. They are two different words remember. Igho means to turn into while iho means to select.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 5:08am On Dec 31, 2012
Eze Promoe:
There is no point of confusion in these two words as they both are two different words. Gh is pronounced just as someone who finds it difficult to pronounce letter R. E.g of this is Ughelli, a place in Delta state. While H is pronounced how its been pronounced.
In the e.g you gave above, lets use igho and iho for example. They are two different words remember. Igho means to turn into while iho means to select.

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say. Tonally, there is no difference between the pronunciation of "to turn into" and "to choose". My question is so then why is there a difference in their spelling?

What is the significance of 'gh'?
[Without studying Igbo in school] How do you know when to write 'gh' instead of 'h'?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 8:12am On Dec 31, 2012
odumchi:

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say. Tonally, there is no difference between the pronunciation of "to turn into" and "to choose". My question is so then why is there a difference in their spelling?
The difference is the 'h' and the 'gh', do you know how to pronounce 'Ughelli', there will always be a difference in it. Gh is pronounced as ghi but the gi there won't be stressed, it affects the word in a little way. Meet someone who can speak Igbo very well to pronounce agha (war), aghara (random)
What is the significance of 'gh'?
[Without studying Igbo in school] How do you know when to write 'gh' instead of 'h'?
One thing for sure is that if you don't know how to speak Igbo/Edo/Ibibio and some other language that has this letter in use, you will find it quite difficult to pronounce it unless you get someone around you who speaks Igbo.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 8:54am On Dec 31, 2012
Eze Promoe:
The difference is the 'h' and the 'gh', do you know how to pronounce 'Ughelli', there will always be a difference in it. Gh is pronounced as ghi but the gi there won't be stressed, it affects the word in a little way. Meet someone who can speak Igbo very well to pronounce agha (war), aghara (random)

One thing for sure is that if you don't know how to speak Igbo/Edo/Ibibio and some other language that has this letter in use, you will find it quite difficult to pronounce it unless you get someone around you who speaks Igbo.

Speaking Igbo isn't the problem here. I am a native speaker and I speak the language very well. What I'm trying to comprehend is the reason for the difference between the spellings of those two words because they share the same sound. The way they sound alike is the way ihu (to see) and ihu (to roast) also sound alike.

I don't know how to pronounce Ughelli, so I can't understand that reference. However I do know that agha is pronounced ághá (almost as if you are trying to smell your own breath). I'm not too familiar with the term aghara because my people say "random" as mberede. I do know that the 'gh' sound in words like aghara-aghara (disorganized), is pronounced differently from the 'gh' in ághá (war). The 'h' sound is stressed more in ághá than it is in aghara-aghara.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 9:07am On Dec 31, 2012
I once asked someone this question before and they said that words that have a slight 'n' sound (like "ihe", meaning "thing"wink are spelled with 'h' and that words that don't have the slight 'n' sound are spelled with 'gh'.

But here are examples that break that rule:

Thing - ihe (pronounced: inhe)
Light - ihe (pronounced: ihè)
To leave alone - ihapu (pronounced: ihapu)
To roast - ihu (pronounced: inhu)
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 9:19am On Dec 31, 2012
I'll advise you to meet someone from Anambra/Enugu in person. Tell him to pronounce the two words, you'll see the difference. There's no English words that i can use to make reference to that. BTW, to roast is ighu not ihu, ihu is to see.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Eifeh(m): 1:04pm On Dec 31, 2012
Facebook - Ihuokwukwo. What is virgin in igbo
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ChinenyeN(m): 6:53pm On Dec 31, 2012
Odumchi, there is no way anyone would know to write "gh" as opposed to "h" without studying Igbo in school or familiarizing oneself with Igbo linguistic studies (for those who didn't study in school). The letters "gh" and "h" are simply nothing more than convention, and it isn't a convention that anyone would know unless he or she were taught. There is nothing intrinsic about writing "gh" as opposed to "h".
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 12:11am On Jan 01, 2013
ChinenyeN: Odumchi, there is no way anyone would know to write "gh" as opposed to "h" without studying Igbo in school or familiarizing oneself with Igbo linguistic studies (for those who didn't study in school). The letters "gh" and "h" are simply nothing more than convention, and it isn't a convention that anyone would know unless he or she were taught. There is nothing intrinsic about writing "gh" as opposed to "h".

Thanks. This the the realization that I have finally come to.

I remember you saying that you taught yourself Igbo. So then I want to ask you: have you familiarized yourself with it? And if so, how did you do so?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 12:16am On Jan 01, 2013
Eze Promoe: I'll advise you to meet someone from Anambra/Enugu in person. Tell him to pronounce the two words, you'll see the difference. There's no English words that i can use to make reference to that. BTW, to roast is ighu not ihu, ihu is to see.

I don't see what Anambra/Enugu has to do with this; there are certain things that are the same in Igbo, irrespective of location.

to roast is ighu not ihu, ihu is to see.

This has even confirmed my suspicion. There is absolutely no difference in the pronunciation of ihu (to see) and ighu (to roast).
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 1:48am On Jan 01, 2013
Idowuogbo:
Excuse me! Are u here to pick on me or wot? Guy, give urself brain o! U sef no me no well, so I'll strongly advice u match go front b4 i involve u. Wth? Wot I have said dats off topic now? Hian! Na so u dey toast woman? Bia! If na email/ digit u want, ask! Stop forming hitler. Nansense!
hahahaha na later tins. U're alrealdy going off topic. Hapi new yea
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 1:54am On Jan 01, 2013
Chukskalidon na ghu Idowuogbo grin
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by adabeke12(f): 3:52am On Jan 01, 2013
ifyalways: she might not be lying.
Otu ocha is an every day word in Mbano however, its used as an exclamation not derogatory or taken for direct translation.

Its used to express shock, surprise for both pleasant and unpleasant surprises.

Is it the same as okpocha and okpokiga?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 4:20am On Jan 01, 2013
Nne, nweziekwa ezigbo afo ohuru o.

Okpo ocha means catfish. Is it used as an expression in Mbano?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 5:33am On Jan 01, 2013
Happy New Year everyone smiley
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by adabeke12(f): 7:27am On Jan 01, 2013
odumchi: Nne, nweziekwa ezigbo afo ohuru o.

Okpo ocha means catfish. Is it used as an expression in Mbano?
My broda. I no no oh. My mom says okpocha and okpokija sometimes. I think its an expression to. My mom is from owerri by the way.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by adabeke12(f): 7:38am On Jan 01, 2013
ndigbo leee...ndi m je me onu. Happy new years oh!!!!!!!! Anam ekele unu nine, ndi oma... Chai I su asusu ndi ebe anyi na tu ka sugar.
Igbo= love language. Ya gazie unu.

P.s: im still learning

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:23pm On Jan 01, 2013
Odumche,"ihu" and "ighu" aren't pronounced the same way. I don't know what you 're arguing about. We Anambrarians say "ihu". Eze-Promoe is correct.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:26pm On Jan 01, 2013
adabeke12: ndigbo leee...ndi m je me onu. Happy new years oh!!!!!!!! Anam ekele unu nine, ndi oma... Chai I su asusu ndi ebe anyi na tu ka sugar.
Igbo= love language. Ya gazie unu.

P.s: im still learning

Ada eji eje mba,daalu maka na imelu ezi ife. Asim ka Olisa bi n'igwe wetalu go ezigbo Aro ofuu. Ka owetakwalugi okolo di ka Nri Priest... grin
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:29pm On Jan 01, 2013
ogugua88: Happy New Year everyone smiley

Ezi ogeli,Aro ofuu oma...Olisa nye gi udo na uju. Kedu maka nne n' nna na umunne gi. Ama m' na aru di fa mma.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:39pm On Jan 01, 2013
Chukskalidon:
hahahaha na later tins. U're alrealdy going off topic. Hapi new yea
Chuks nwanne m',ona adi m' ka ife Idowu masili gi....Biko,gwia na ifie masili gi ka okwu bie...daalu nwanne.
Aro ofuu oma.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (46) (Reply)

Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa! / The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean.

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.