Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,677 members, 7,801,953 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:49 AM

Igbo learning thread + Translator - Culture (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo learning thread + Translator (227946 Views)

Translator / Looking For A Calabar Translator / Online English To Igbo Translator ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 5:09pm On Jan 16, 2016
tosingcfr:

That's hilarious .
I'm sure you will come to my aid.grin
Sure. You pronounce 'gh' like a Bini man who has difficulty pronouncing the letter 'r' as in 'aghu' instead of 'aru'. Hope you understood? smiley
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by tosingcfr(m): 6:42pm On Jan 16, 2016
EzePromoe:
Sure. You pronounce 'gh' like a Bini man who has difficulty pronouncing the letter 'r' as in 'aghu' instead of 'aru'. Hope you understood? smiley
It's becoming more interesting. BTW , are you from Imo?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 7:07pm On Jan 16, 2016
EzePromoe:
Ezibo wene, me hiala o. Nda su we mmegnu? I'm impressed at your contributions in this thread, it makes the read worthwhile. Thanks to you all.

M nonhu k'oma. Kaa bu anya woo. O bu ogwe ke gh ta nmanmana I ji d'asa m ahnu ruturu. Obi amaala m nma, enyi m woko. Glad to see you back. grin
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 7:19pm On Jan 16, 2016
Phut, I'm currently reading Efuru by Flora Nwapa and I'm encountering so many Oguta names and terms that I'm not familiar with. I'm about to bombard you with questions, biko ewekwa iwe.

Would you happen to know what the names 'Ajanapu' and 'Adizua' mean?

A being (which I presume to be a deity) named 'Orisha' is constantly mentioned throughout the novel. Is it a local arunsi (deity) or does it refer to the creator (Olisa)?

Does 'Ogonim' mean 'Ogo m' (my inlaw)?

Also, some of the characters use the greeting 'Ochia, Mazi, Ogbukea' when addressing groups of people. Would you happen to know the meaning/significance behind this?

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 7:40pm On Jan 16, 2016
tosingcfr:

It's becoming more interesting. BTW , are you from Imo?
Rivers
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 8:02pm On Jan 16, 2016
odumchi:

M nonhu k'oma. Kaa bu anya woo. O bu ogwe ke gh ta nmanmana I ji d'asa m ahnu ruturu. Obi amaala m nma, enyi m woko. Glad to see you back. grin
Nnhe zi n'osu Igbo karila n'ezhi oku. I'm learning so much more than what I'm contributing.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by tosingcfr(m): 8:48pm On Jan 16, 2016
EzePromoe:
Rivers
That's cool. But you seem to know much about igbo. Even the name Eze
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ChinenyeN(m): 9:30pm On Jan 16, 2016
Oh geez..
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 9:57pm On Jan 16, 2016
tosingcfr:

That's cool. But you seem to know much about igbo. Even the name Eze
The name 'Eze' is more common in Rivers state (upland) than in Ebonyi. smiley
Haven't you heard of Rivers Igbo?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by tosingcfr(m): 10:39pm On Jan 16, 2016
EzePromoe:
The name 'Eze' is more common in Rivers state (upland) than in Ebonyi. smiley
Haven't you heard of Rivers Igbo?

But that would be in the minority .. Just guessing anyway

Eze 1 of Rivers state. grin
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 4:36pm On Jan 17, 2016
tosingcfr:

But that would be in the minority .. Just guessing anyway

Eze 1 of Rivers state. grin
Minority? Oza o. Ikwerre ethnic group is in the majority in Rivers state, not to talk of the entire Igboid group. That is more than half of the entire Rivers population.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ify84(m): 8:42pm On Jan 17, 2016
Translate UZUEGBU for me.... I don ask Google tire, no answer,
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 9:26pm On Jan 17, 2016
ify84:
Translate UZUEGBU for me.... I don ask Google tire, no answer,

It means "may my fame/popularity not be my downfall".
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Gboliwe: 9:33pm On Jan 17, 2016
odumchi:

Is it same as Ukaegbu?

BTW, happy new year.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 9:58pm On Jan 17, 2016
Gboliwe:

Is it same as Ukaegbu?

BTW, happy new year.

Happy New Year, Gboliwe. smiley

I'd say Ukaegbu is more along the lines of "may discord/strife not be my downfall"
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by tosingcfr(m): 7:20am On Jan 18, 2016
EzePromoe:
Minority? Oza o. Ikwerre ethnic group is in the majority in Rivers state, not to talk of the entire Igboid group. That is more than half of the entire Rivers population.

Pardon my ignorance
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 18, 2016
Odumchi, pls this UZUEGBU,is it the full name or an abbrev?

Uzu,is where u refine metals like gold. High powered furnance.

Nka na Uzu means science and tech. So Uzu is also technology.

I thought that name will tow the meaning of one of the above two.

Do Uzu have any other meaning apart from the two?

I,too want to learn.
Thank u.

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 8:06am On Jan 18, 2016
tosingcfr:

Pardon my ignorance
It's part of the learning process smiley
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Gboliwe: 10:59am On Jan 18, 2016
odumchi:

Happy New Year, Gboliwe. smiley

I'd say Ukaegbu is more along the lines of "may discord/strife not be my downfall"

Makes sense.
Its not a positive name. lol

More like a troublemaker
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ify84(m): 2:51pm On Jan 18, 2016
odumchi:

This is new, thnk you

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 7:12am On Jan 20, 2016
gentlii:
Odumchi, pls this UZUEGBU,is it the full name or an abbrev?

Uzu,is where u refine metals like gold. High powered furnance.

Nka na Uzu means science and tech. So Uzu is also technology.

I thought that name will tow the meaning of one of the above two.

Do Uzu have any other meaning apart from the two?

I,too want to learn.
Thank u.

You've got the right idea. The Üzü (blacksmithing) you're talking about is pronounced (HH) with inflection marks that rise to the right on both of the u's. However, the Üzü (noise, fame) in Uzuegbu is pronounced (LL) with inflection marks that fall from the left. This is the same Uzu that's present in other names like Uzunma, which means something in the ballpark of "renown for good things".

The full name can either be Uzuegbulem or one of its dialectal variants.

It was really frustrating that I couldn't find a keyboard with the appropriate characters, but oh well.

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 7:24am On Jan 20, 2016
I'm interested in seeing how you guys would translate "dangerous" in your various dialects. A sentence incorporating the translation would be appreciated too.

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Chizzyblinks(f): 2:45pm On Jan 22, 2016
EzePromoe:
[size=32pt]LESSON 1[/size] ABIIDII IGBO (IGBO ALPHABETS) A - ah as in Anambra B - bi " " Bisi Ch - chi " " Chineke D - di " " Chidi E - air " " edward F - fi " " fee G - gi " " gideon Gb - gbi " " Mgbidi Gh - ghi " " Ughelli Gw - gwi " " Ngwa H - hi " " he I - i " " garri Ị - iih " " akị J - ji " " orji K - ki " " okiki Kp - kpi " " akpi Kw - kwi " " Ikwerre L - li " " linda M - mi " " remi N - ni " " anini Ñ - ñi " " añara (garden egg) Nw - nwi " " nwababy Ny - ny " " Onyinye O - oh " " Oh Ọ - or " " Or P - pi " " Peter R - ri " " Ribadu S - si " " see Sh - shi " " She T - ti " " tinubu U - u " " Buhari Ụ - uh " " Usman V - vi " " village W - wi " " we Y - ye " " yeye Z - ze " " Zik
nkena buya...ochi atogbom o.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Chizzyblinks(f): 2:54pm On Jan 22, 2016
how many alphabets does the igbo language has...?
igbo language has 36 alphabets,8 vowels and 28 consonant
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Chizzyblinks(f): 3:02pm On Jan 22, 2016
Idowuogbo:

Oh.. My bad!

I got loads I need help wiv... I find it a bit difficult to read sometimes but! I understand a few bits and bobs going by facial expression.LOL

Can sum1 translate dis>> Badosky kedu ihe ina-akpariri mmadu? Now d only tin I can pick up here is, my name and abuse? embarassed
it means badosky why are you insulting some one.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Chizzyblinks(f): 3:12pm On Jan 22, 2016
Suchie:
pls wat is Otuocha if i go to my hubby village,everybody will b saying otucha.wat is d meaning pls?
he must be from mbano in imo state.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Cherlene(f): 12:52am On Jan 24, 2016
EzePromoe:
I had come across many Igbos who finds it difficult to read and write Igbo or even speak it. In this thread, i'm going to be pointing out the basics for learning the language. Non Igbos who are interested are welcomed also. Let's go there wink
To get your Igbo words/sentences translated to English and vice versa, click here

Evening

Super, desire to MASTER IGBO....

Cherlene
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:38pm On Jan 24, 2016
odumchi:
I'm interested in seeing how you guys would translate "dangerous" in your various dialects. A sentence incorporating the translation would be appreciated too.

Dangerous-Akanjo in Umuoji dialect.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 7:55am On Jan 25, 2016
NRIPRIEST:

Dangerous-Akanjo in Umuoji dialect.

Ndeewo. Wereteeri ya maanuru anyi atu anyi vu.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Antivirus92(m): 7:00am On Jan 26, 2016
Still following...
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by gold3n(f): 6:39pm On Jan 28, 2016
odumchi:

The translation for 'aghaa' is a bit hard to explain. It's a word that's only used in an interrogatory manner. Its meaning depends on the context in which it's used.

A few examples:

'Ugbo ala gi o mere aghaa?' - 'how is your car?', 'what happened to your car?' or 'where is your car?' depending on context.

'Anyi aga emekwanu aghaa?' - 'what are we going to do?'

Am just now seeing this response. Daalu nwanne m. Chukwu gozie gi!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by odumchi: 11:12pm On Feb 04, 2016
Edigidele m ihe a, mana o ruola m nke nkwuputa: Nke a onye obula ji tii isi na ohia ka ama si ajuju m bu agbara na-eri madu, o di kwa nma? Ndi nke anyi, unu agbala ngenge. angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (46) (Reply)

Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa! / The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.