Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,266 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:36 AM

Nollywood, Hollywood, Dreams, Notions, Wishes And Then There Is Uzor... - Entertainment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Nollywood, Hollywood, Dreams, Notions, Wishes And Then There Is Uzor... (845 Views)

Orji Uzor Kalu, Tony Elumelu Join Forbes List Of World's Richest / Is Nollywood Rivaling 'black' Hollywood?! / Hollywood And Nollywood Celebrity Match Making (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood, Hollywood, Dreams, Notions, Wishes And Then There Is Uzor... by potatoe: 1:06am On Nov 11, 2012
There's a particular stereotype love story that unfolds in most Nollywood movies, where a handsome young man from a wealthy home meets a young girl from a 'poor' background and then falls madly in love wit her only for his family to disapprove of his choice of a partner, and other times it is the reverse case.
You'll agree with me of the many times these scenes have been played out in our tv screens as if thats the right/only way there is to finding true love, to disagree with ur family and elope with ur lover seems like the ultimate ordeal in guaranteeing love.
- Of this type i dont concur.

Also, across d atlantic into the Western lands where fine cinematography and breathtaking screenplays are served on a regular, there's another storyline dat regularly plays out.
It follows where A certain young man with great Sword wielding skills or being highly trained in the art of Karate/kick boxing or has a way with guns. Battles his way through an entire army of soldiers, defeats the 'bad guys', wins d heart of his lady and then ride her home in d sunset.
A typical damsel in distress scenario.
- of this type, i prefer only to see it on the silver screen at the comfort of my home or in a good cinema hall chewing buttered pop-corn and sipping soda.

I have often had dreams where i had these 'smooth conversations' with this lady. We talk about anything and everything, n she seems to just get me as much as i do her. She comes only in my dreams n she has this habit of just coming anytime she likes, like anytime she wants to and not even considering whether i'd want her to come more often. She fills my head with excitement as i sleep and i sometimes smile lucidly in the middle of our 'not so frequent' conversations. As the time goes on, her 'visit' became very rare and now even memories of her are hard to recall.
- Of this type, i pray every young man should go through for only a short period of time.

Highly Inspired by Nollywood, n strongly influenced by Hollywood, coupled with the few times i concieved,'connection' in my dreams, i developed this very strong yet subtle idea that a certain type of love exists. Not the type purged by hypocrisy, or the type influenced by the 'timeline of societal trends'. A deviant type that sets everything else straight (at least to an extent; as wide as the elastic limit of my imaginations can allow me), the type that makes one so comfortable that even the comfort subtly becomes uncomforable. Who can blame me; a good student of the holy book of which this quotation " whatsoever the mind of a man can conceive, he can achieve..." has been thoroughly mixed with the concrete blocks that makes the foundation of my mind's process. So clearly put, i've got nothing to lose and so much to gain as i stretch my mind to a new threshold.
This notion was not shaken by the number of times i hear people lament of their 'sour' love experiences or the times my involvement in the 'timeline of societal trends' gave a scar here and a sad conscience there. I learnt from those by keeping my mind's mind at peace and refusing to sell myself short as i go on about my life.
- Of this i'm still very happy for.

Due to the scars i got and the many times i fought hard with my conscience in trying to justify my actions to just 'get by' i made a resolution to 'leave everything else dat is not 'it', and live my life alone till i've found 'it'. So i wished, i got on the wings that wishes fly with and held on tight as i wished for everything good and right about love, about happiness in a relationship, about true friendship and laughter that makes problems hide their ugly faces. I wished that when i find 'it', it should come complete with everything i'd wished for, better than the stories i've read and more fulfilling than the others i've been in.
- Of this i prayed to God for help.

Its amazing how after we carefully put out our plans on the table, something else comes in and rearranges evrything, at times something better.
She laughed, then i slowly grew fond of her, slowly; like the way perfect smiles are made. Minute after minute, day after day, week after week, the 1st phone call, the late night pings the voice notes and my strong desire to find 'it'. Someone once said, to get a good friend, first you must be a good one and so i was set. Motivated by her charming essence and her calming beauty i had no choice but to be a good friend. I felt happy like a young child on christmas day waiting to rock my new clothes each time we talk, and it was even sweeter, because christmas for me now comes on a regular and i loved every bit of it. As a friend she was amazing; the way she carries herself, her love for God, her persona, her beauty and intelligence. I could get into a quarrel with someone if he dare say a bad thing against her. Our frienship blossomed as we enjoyed our company, and together we could take on a whole class about the things we believe and no one could shut us up. The flow is OUTstanding and the understanding is second to none for someone i got to know not so long ago. We were there, staring into what we see, while what we desired has been delivered to us, right there in the room and quietly trying to get our attention to sign and confirm the delivered package. Pillows grinned at me as i laid my head on her and she gently rubbed her hands on my head. I closed my eyes in trying to savour the moment as our lips locked in a sweet silky smooth embrace. Comfort was given a new name as my heart beats louder. Nollywood tore their scripts in place for new ones as Hollywood pushed for exclusive rights. This is 'IT' and i needed to witchdoctor to tell me that. Reality became sweeter than my old dreams, and even when i close my eyes now, She's 'the one' i see, my ideas clapped when they met her, and my mind winked when she came in. She's a keeper and i can clearly see that, She loves me as much as i love her and the way she accepts me is grand. The word 'special' has been used in describing less special things / people, so in trying to give real meaning to the word, I call her SPECIAL becuase she personified that word.
- Of this i am Thankful to God for.
Re: Nollywood, Hollywood, Dreams, Notions, Wishes And Then There Is Uzor... by Flashaldrin(m): 4:16am On Nov 11, 2012
Very very beautiful, fine and compelling piece!! Never wanted to finish it but as soon as i'd started i knew i had no option.
Well written. Kudos.
But then, is this real?? Or just another hollywood wishdom??
Re: Nollywood, Hollywood, Dreams, Notions, Wishes And Then There Is Uzor... by Mynd44: 7:00am On Nov 11, 2012
Hmmm
Re: Nollywood, Hollywood, Dreams, Notions, Wishes And Then There Is Uzor... by ijebabe: 1:22pm On Nov 11, 2012
You will be surprised at how the media brainwashes their audience into believing and carrying out certain stereotypes. It's left to you to decipher and take what's beneficial for you.
Although I have to admit your post confused me on your real message.
Re: Nollywood, Hollywood, Dreams, Notions, Wishes And Then There Is Uzor... by potatoe: 9:28pm On Nov 11, 2012
smiley
Re: Nollywood, Hollywood, Dreams, Notions, Wishes And Then There Is Uzor... by potatoe: 9:34pm On Nov 11, 2012
ijebabe: You will be surprised at how the media brainwashes their audience into believing and carrying out certain stereotypes. It's left to you to decipher and take what's beneficial for you.
Although I have to admit your post confused me on your real message.

As u clearly put it d stereotype being rammed into d minds of d audience is absurd. Im only tryna share the story of how i made it through without their route. True love is for real.
Re: Nollywood, Hollywood, Dreams, Notions, Wishes And Then There Is Uzor... by hunter121: 10:20am On Nov 16, 2012
Good thread, I always like them.
[img]http://bookstoday.info/go/smile.jpg[/img]
[img]http://bookstoday.info/lo/sad.jpg[/img]

(1) (Reply)

Christmas Lights Cover Home In Gangnam Style / Nigerian Music Video Awards (NMVA 2013) Winners List / I Love Iyanya Says Tonto Dike.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.