Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,624 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert (14789 Views)

Before Or After Breakfast? / Dizzy After Breakfast........ Doctors In The House Plz Comment! / Do You Brush Before Or After Breakfast? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Smartjeezy(m): 5:08pm On Nov 11, 2012
[quote author=Clerverly][/quote]check ur dictionary MR)
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Nobody: 5:08pm On Nov 11, 2012
elampiro: Taking breakfast with dirty mouth.
dorty mouth bah? shebi na your mouth?

I haven't tried brushing after meal but sometimes I forget that I haven't brushed before eating.what of water therapy? That one good sef!
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Curiouscity(m): 5:11pm On Nov 11, 2012
Justosaus:

Anachronism! Socrates died long before the internet. Its like saying you saw a picture of George Washington with a blackberry...
slap1: Socrates? DID HE WITNESS THE INTERNET?

The guy said "socretes"(whoever that maybe), NOT SOCRATES that we all read of.
BTW that statement is very true, but maybe he should just say it and for forget quoting the author
if he's not sure.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Lanretoye(m): 5:16pm On Nov 11, 2012
Make dem first teach sch children to dey carry paste And brush go sch and ppl wey dey work go dey carry am go office so as to dey brush every time dem eat...or better if u don't have brush and tooth paste around,do not eat.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by phabouluz(m): 5:16pm On Nov 11, 2012
I use mouth wast to rinse once I wake up then brush after breakfast
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Pentium17: 5:30pm On Nov 11, 2012
Most of the folks who have responded in support of this woman did so not because they are health conscious. Trust Nigerians, early-morning-laziness is simply responsible.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Clemzy16(m): 5:32pm On Nov 11, 2012
I very much agree with this article. I brush 2-3 times everyday. Mostly 2times. I see no reason why i should brush early in the morning and still eat. What's the essence of brushing?! Is it not for the food particles left behind to be removed. What i usually do is eat in the morning before i brush. Then brush again before going to bed. As so on. Although, my parents do complain about the way i use(waste) close-up, but them never see anything.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by sosodevf(m): 5:33pm On Nov 11, 2012
cupid4ig: [b][/b]all this kids here shouting 1st and 2nd to comment pls u guys should grow up.this is nairaland is turning to small pikin site smh embarassed

Admin wake up, do smfin its getting common nd irritating.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Nobody: 5:50pm On Nov 11, 2012
What about people like me that take their breakfast at the office?
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Nuezha(m): 5:50pm On Nov 11, 2012
Asaba man: third to comment....wil try harder next tym...cool
"Donkunu"
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by sammmiey1: 5:59pm On Nov 11, 2012
Which one do we believe?...soon,u wil hear another expert come up with,2much of toothpaste is injurious 2teeth....
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by sammmiey1: 6:04pm On Nov 11, 2012
Smart jeezy: What about people going to work around 4:00am,are they gonna eat breakfast too before brushing their tooths?
Dude,d plural of ur tooth is tooths?
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Boomark(m): 6:20pm On Nov 11, 2012
The expert(me) is right. If you do the calculation with respect to time, tooth cleanliness and brushing once a day, you will understand.

Once a day brushing is just for the calculation.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Asabaman(m): 6:24pm On Nov 11, 2012
Nuezha:
"Donkunu"
Na u smoke igbo, abi na igbo smoke u? carry ur tym o....angry
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Nobody: 6:35pm On Nov 11, 2012
uchlukez: Even b4 I wake up, I brush

Before you wake up?? Surely that means you're still asleep. How can you brush your teeth, before you wake up?
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by sammmiey1: 6:36pm On Nov 11, 2012
Siena:

Before you wake up?? Surely that means you're still asleep. How can you brush your teeth, before you wake up?
don't mind d yeye goat
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Bizinton: 6:51pm On Nov 11, 2012
Yes I was tot by expert dentists many years ago that you can actually have ur breakfast before brushing ur teeth. But this is mainly okay if you brushed before going to bed.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 11, 2012
ASANIGBO: How true is she?
very true. Thats the correct habit. Brush after breakfast, and after dinner.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Nobody: 8:29pm On Nov 11, 2012
HNosegbe: What about people like me that take their breakfast at the office?
its simple...carry ur brush,paste and a cup of water to the office grin
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Boomark(m): 8:36pm On Nov 11, 2012
centje: its simple...carry ur brush,paste and a cup of water to the office grin

grin
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by kunlett: 8:36pm On Nov 11, 2012
lol
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by bobolekepee(m): 8:42pm On Nov 11, 2012
centje: its simple...carry ur brush,paste and a cup of water to the office grin
I laff sotey my iPhone fall 4 ground... grin

1 Like

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 11, 2012
bobolekepee: I laff sotey my iPhone fall 4 ground... grin
lol grin
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by 5much(m): 9:07pm On Nov 11, 2012
food for thought indeed.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by charlsecy4(m): 9:19pm On Nov 11, 2012
Please read this to know how to take care of your dental health:

Some years ago, I was at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Dentistry Department. I had come to have my teeth scaled. After the procedure, a student dentist asked me, "What type of brush do you use?" "Soft," I replied. "Oh, that's very good." "When do you brush your teeth?" "It depends, sometimes before a meal, other times after the meal," was my response. So, I asked him about a better time to brush. He said, "it is better to brush your teeth after the meal." "Brush your teeth twice daily, last thing before going to bed and after breakfast the following morning. Use soft-bristled toothbrush and a fluoride toothpaste. Change your toothbrush every 3 months," he concluded. I nodded because it seemed I had doing most of these times he said.

XXXXXXXX

I later found out that there are conflicting opinions on when to brush, before or after a meal. Even a student dentist who lived in the same flat as me back in the University days disagreed with the idea of brushing after a meal in the morning. All agree that you should brush your teeth before going to bed, but they don't seem to have a harmonious opinion on when to brush in the morning, before or after breakfast. Doctors and dentists have their own opinions on things and let's face it, they are human, they are not always correct. However, I personally support the idea of brushing your teeth after having a breakfast.

***Why Brushing Your Teeth After Having a Breakfast Is Better***

First ask yourself this question: "Why do I brush my teeth?"

Now I continue:

You must have noticed a soft sticky layer forming on our teeth everyday. This layer is called PLAQUE. It is mainly formed of food debris and bacteria. Brushing your teeth removes plaque and gives you clean teeth, gums and a fresh breath. For healthy teeth and gums it is mandatory to have good oral hygiene and for that brushing should be perfect. When you eat, some food particles remain in your mouth. Bacteria feed on them, become energized to carry out their "illegal" activities of weighing down your teeth, gum and overall dental health. Brushing remains one of the most, or the most potent "police" checking the activities of these bacteria.

Of what much use is it to brush your teeth before eating in the morning, and soon afterwards you eat, leaving food particles in your mouth, thereby defeating the purpose for which you have brushed? You may ask, "but my mouth is not fresh in the morning when I wake up, so I should brush before eating!" To that I say, "it is because you didn't brush your mouth before going to bed at night!" You see, BRUSHING AFTER HAVING BREAKFAST IS BASED ON THE ASSUMPTION THAT YOU BRUSHED LAST NIGHT BEFORE GOING TO BED.

Another important thing I must I add is that YOU SHOULD WAIT AT LEAST 1 HOUR AFTER HAVING A MEAL BEFORE BRUSHING. If you had fruits, soda, wine or any food that contains acid, you need to wait about an hour before you brush your teeth. The acids in many foods soften the tooth enamel, making it vulnerable to damage from brushing. Rinsing your mouth with water won’t speed up the process. An hour after meal is enough time for the acids to clear away and the enamel to re-harden. In addition, brushing your teeth EXCESSIVELY and brushing TOO LONG can also LEAD to GUM DISEASES and TOOTH DECAY as the enamel is brushed off.

THE REASON WHY THIS IS NOT SO EASY TO PUT INTO PRACTICE IS BECAUSE OUR WORLD TODAY IS FAST-PACED. IMAGINE A WORKER WHO HAS TO BE IN THEIR PLACE OF WORK BEFORE 7:30AM; DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO WAIT AN HOUR AFTER MEAL BEFORE BRUSHING THEIR TEETH AND GOING TO WORK? JUST DO IT IF YOU CAN.

***Caring For Your Teeth***

Brush your teeth thoroughly twice a day, for two to three minutes each time. Make sure you brush on all sides of your teeth and your tongue. Brushing properly is a must to avoid plaque from accumulating on your gums and to remove food debris on your teeth — both of which can cause tooth decay. You can ask your dentist for a demonstration. It is best to do one of these times before you go to bed, as your mouth does not have the same salivary protection when you are sleeping as it does during the day. Brushing will reduce the damage caused by plaque byproducts and toxins.

Spend time moving the bristles at and below the gum line, where it is most important to clean. The toothpaste can go on after those two minutes, and you can have the advantage of fluoride, whitening, stain removal or whatever works better for you because it's applied to a nice clean surface.

Floss your teeth daily and after any food that will stick in your teeth (i.e. corn on the cob, caramel, peanut butter, etc.). This cleans the other sides of your teeth that you couldn't reach with your toothbrush.

Find a fluoride mouthwash. Fluoride mouthwashes help to strengthen tooth enamel. Teach children between the age of six and twelve good rinsing skills to prevent swallowing. Follow the directions on the bottle.

Avoid snacking constantly. Snacking constantly can cause plaque to build up on your teeth, which can increase the risk of getting cavities. Instead of reaching for the chocolate, nibble a bit of cheese as a snack. Cheese and milk are really good for keeping healthy teeth because they are alkaline. This counteracts the acids that eat away at your teeth. Avoid sugary and/or sticky foods. Sugar feeds the bacteria in your mouth, which then excrete substances that break down tooth enamel. Eat lots of vegetables, and drink water instead of soda or juice. Remember that fruit juices are full of acids and natural sugars. Keep drinking these to a minimum or only drink them at meal times, when the saliva is flowing most.

Replace your toothbrush every three months.

Visit your dentist at least every six months and every time that you have a problem with your teeth.

Also, note:

Don't swallow toothpaste. Be sure to rinse and spit after brushing.
Less is more. Don't floss, brush teeth, or scrape tongue too roughly. Over-brushing or rough flossing can cause gums to recede.
Some toothpastes are not recommended to be used daily if they are too strong - check the label of your toothpaste for details.
Never brush your teeth right after a big meal. Wait about an hour and then go. Otherwise, you could damage your enamel!
Don't swallow mouth wash.
After having an especially sugary drink, washing your mouth out with water will help get rid of harmful acids
Don't use a brush with firm bristles, as this will scratch away at the protective layer that coats your teeth. USE ONLY MEDIUM- or SOFT-BRISTLED TOOTHBRUSH.

2 Likes

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Smartjeezy(m): 9:32pm On Nov 11, 2012
samm_miey: Dude,d plural of ur tooth is tooths?
whatever! Mr English...
English is not my father's language idiota.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by gdayone: 10:04pm On Nov 11, 2012
toothpaste is very expensive
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Nobody: 10:20pm On Nov 11, 2012
Smart jeezy: whatever! Mr English...
English is not my father's language idiota.
he isn't an idiota...accept the error and move on,why resort to insult...
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Sike(m): 10:46pm On Nov 11, 2012
Dear expert, that one na for your pocket. Sincerely, don't mislead me.
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by Smooyis(m): 6:37am On Nov 12, 2012
Thanks doctor. We shall try to go by your instructions
Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by eruudy(m): 6:54am On Nov 12, 2012
Anything wen make me brush after breakfast am automatically hungry again ... For some reason i only brush when am sure there is breakfast ...

1 Like

Re: Brush After Breakfast, Not Before — Expert by hunkydory(m): 8:49am On Nov 12, 2012
Asaba man: third to comment....wil try harder next tym...cool
You and your likes are suffering from childish infantilism.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Resident Doctors Proceed On Indefinite Strike, Reject FG's Offer / Zobo Drink Was Brought In Instead Of Blood At Hospital? (photos) / Doctors At Ebola Isolation Center In Lagos Say N1.9bn Promised By The FG Was Nev

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.