Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,677 members, 7,801,950 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

Praying For The Dead - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Praying For The Dead (9103 Views)

Check Out This Picture Of A Pastor Praying For A Woman In Church. SCREENSHOT. / Doctor Prays Over Dead Patient, Raises Him From The Dead / Pastor Runs Mad While Praying For Mad Man In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Praying For The Dead by HerexG(m): 1:16pm On Nov 12, 2012
I want us to discuss this and make it clear, as Christians are we
suppose to pray for the dead ?
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 12, 2012
Praying for the dead is of no consequence, you can only pray for the living who have hope while the breath of God is still in their nostrils !!

4 Likes

Re: Praying For The Dead by seyibrown(f): 2:05pm On Nov 12, 2012
HerexG :

I want us to discuss this and make it clear, as Christians are we
suppose to pray for the dead ?

Praying for the dead is a waste of time as they do not need prayers. It's the living who need prayers and intercessors!

2 Likes

Re: Praying For The Dead by HerexG(m): 2:48pm On Nov 12, 2012
But the catholic's pray for the dead, i even heard they even book mass for the dead.
Re: Praying For The Dead by pastormustwacc: 2:53pm On Nov 12, 2012
Another thread pissing on the catholic church?
Re: Praying For The Dead by HerexG(m): 4:26pm On Nov 12, 2012
Not pissing on the Catholic church, trying to why they practise that. I heard a conversation with a catholic church member asking her to tell me why they do pray for the dead, but she could'nt give a good reason why they pray for the dead.
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 12, 2012
Prayers for the dead are mentioned in 2 macabees 12:38-45 and I John 5:16-17.But you have to have the bible with the completely canonised books to see the books of macabees.

2 Likes

Re: Praying For The Dead by pastormustwacc: 7:18pm On Nov 12, 2012
*Coughs*

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 9:10pm On Nov 12, 2012
chukwudi44: Prayers for the dead are mentioned in 2 macabees 12:38-45 and I John 5:16-17.But you have to have the bible with the completely canonised books to see the books of macabees.

Pagan !!!
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 9:18pm On Nov 12, 2012
frosbel:

Pagan !!!

Olodo what is pagan? Is it not the bible I quoted? You want me to agree with heretics who removed 7 books from the bible less than 200 years ago

7 Likes

Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 9:22pm On Nov 12, 2012
Hate him or love him,Judas macabees remains one of the most influential men in jewish history.He instituted the feast of hannukah even observed by Jesus in John 10:22
Re: Praying For The Dead by mkmyers45(m): 9:31pm On Nov 12, 2012
frosbel:

Pagan !!!
stop making yourself look dumb
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 12, 2012
mkmyers45: stop making yourself look dumb

If praying to a dead rotten corpse makes you the wiser, good luck !!

3 Likes

Re: Praying For The Dead by mkmyers45(m): 9:52pm On Nov 12, 2012
frosbel:

If praying to a dead rotten corpse makes you the wiser, good luck !!
The books of Maccabeus are canon and what about the book 1 John 5? I wonder why you are bragging up and down with a canon made by a fake man such as Martin Luther
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 10:04pm On Nov 12, 2012
mkmyers45: The books of Maccabeus are canon and what about the book 1 John 5? I wonder why you are bragging up and down with a canon made by a fake man such as Martin Luther

Where are the dead ?
Re: Praying For The Dead by mkmyers45(m): 10:12pm On Nov 12, 2012
frosbel:

Where are the dead ?
The grave..
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 12, 2012
mkmyers45: The grave..

so why pray for and to the dead who are in the grave , surely they cannot hear you , no ?

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by mkmyers45(m): 10:26pm On Nov 12, 2012
frosbel:

so why pray for and to the dead who are in the grave , surely they cannot hear you , no ?
SMH...Do you pray to God through Jesus or you pray to your problem?
Re: Praying For The Dead by HerexG(m): 2:40am On Nov 13, 2012
If we could all remember vividly, when the first son Belshaba had for David was sick, David prayed and did all he could to resorsitate the child . The bible recorded that he even went without food for days, praying and asking God to save the child's life. But immediately the child died, David got back to his normal life and merried.
In John 3:16 for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that who so ever believes in Him shall not die but have eternal life, this is a surety for they that believes in Him will surely have eternal life. But can a dead man still belief in Christ, why do we have to pray for a soul that has already been predestinted. Common sense will tell us where a man while on earth who died without Christ is going.
As Christians we are not meant to remain here on earth after receiving salvation of our Lord Jesus Christ, we are supposed to be raptured immediately we give our life to Him but He gave us a great commission and mandate which is found in Act 1:8, this should be the purpose of every Christian.

2 Likes

Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 3:23am On Nov 13, 2012
HerexG :
If we could all remember vividly, when the first son Belshaba had for David was sick, David prayed and did all he could to resorsitate the child . The bible recorded that he even went without food for days, praying and asking God to save the child's life. But immediately the child died, David got back to his normal life and merried.
In John 3:16 for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that who so ever believes in Him shall not die but have eternal life, this is a surety for they that believes in Him will surely have eternal life. But can a dead man still belief in Christ, why do we have to pray for a soul that has already been predestinted. Common sense will tell us where a man while on earth who died without Christ is going.
As Christians we are not meant to remain here on earth after receiving salvation of our Lord Jesus Christ, we are supposed to be raptured immediately we give our life to Him but He gave us a great commission and mandate which is found in Act 1:8, this should be the purpose of every Christian.

After posting biblical passages to support the practice you are still blabbibg.Even st paul in 2Tim 1:18 prayed for his late friend Onesiphorous

3 Likes

Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 4:29am On Nov 13, 2012
Praying for the dead to do what exactly Can the dead be baptised and saved by your prayers...walking out of this thread.
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 6:44am On Nov 13, 2012
I think most of us are guilty of praying for the dead, cos some ppl quickly adds 'may his/her soul rest in peace' once we hear some1 has passed on... And did i hear some one say amen? You guys would live longer if you stop dissing us and the church.

2 Likes

Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 7:01am On Nov 13, 2012
chukwudi44: Prayers for the dead are mentioned in 2 macabees 12:38-45 and I John 5:16-17.But you have to have the bible with the completely canonised books to see the books of macabees.
1jn clearly points out that there are sins that leads to death, so if there are sins that do not don't we as christians believe that there must be a place of cleansing of the souls for them? Christ told us that nothing unclean would enter heaven so i dn't see anythng wrong with praying for those who died in christ, and are stil undergoing purification as a result of sin that does nt lead to death.
@op... The trend has been and would stil continue, i would advice you pray for your loved ones who have died

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by HerexG(m): 8:11am On Nov 13, 2012
there is no proof anywhere Onesiphorous died anywhere., remember after death come judgement. Instead of praying for the dead you has already gotten their judgement, pray for those who re still alive and perishing...

2 Likes

Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 13, 2012
HerexG :
there is no proof anywhere Onesiphorous died anywhere., remember after death come judgement. Instead of praying for the dead you has already gotten their judgement, pray for those who re still alive and perishing...
true, after judgement u either belong to heaven, hell or a place of 'cleansing'. Pray for those who are been purified and 4 those stil alife. I rest ma case

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by HerexG(m): 8:21am On Nov 13, 2012
Necromancy is against holiness. Familiar spirits/ occultism involves
necromancy (praying to/for the dead). Salvation is specifically part of
the natural realm. After transitioning to the spirit realm, the decision
is fixed. Either you get saved before you die, or you remain eternally
damned.
We who are supposed to be born again must mature in
understanding this. Our body isn't going to heaven, no matter how
much you want them to.
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 13, 2012
Well the bible have spoken in 1 John 5:16-17 not all sins will lead to death and thus we should pray for our brethren in case they died in such state.St Paul did that for his late friend Onesiphorous and I think I would rather abide with the writings of these great apostles than listen to protestants like Herex G.Afterall even Jesus himself preached to the dead in 1 pet 3:18-21.

FYI praying for the dead is not necromancy.Necromancy refers to consulting the spirits of the dead.

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by HerexG(m): 11:35am On Nov 13, 2012
Praying to the dead is strictly forbidden in the Bible. Deuteronomy
18:11 tells us that anyone who “consults with the dead” is “detestable
to the Lord.”

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 11:36am On Nov 13, 2012
HerexG :
Praying to the dead is strictly forbidden in the Bible. Deuteronomy
18:11 tells us that anyone who “consults with the dead” is “detestable
to the Lord.”

Those Pagans will not listen !
Re: Praying For The Dead by italo: 12:17pm On Nov 13, 2012
@ HerexG and Frosbel,

You are being deliberately dishonest.

When they debunk you on 'praying for the dead', you start to talk about 'praying TO the dead'.

When we pray for the dead, we pray for the souls who are destined for heaven but are still being purified.

When we pray TO those who you say are "dead", we are actually asking the Saints who have made it to heaven to intercede for us. And we know that they are not dead, but alive.

You see, this Catholic family is one big family that even death cannot break. The Saints in heaven pray for us, we on earth pray for the souls in purgatory.

10 Likes

Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 1:15pm On Nov 13, 2012
Don't mind the hypocrites.Even after wasting my time trying to explain to him he is still writing "praying to the dead".Even the mere act of praying to the dead is still not necromancy.Necromancy refers to magically summoning the spirits of the dead to elicit future or enquiry from them.
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 13, 2012
Maybe Jesus practised necromancy in 1 pet 3:18-21

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Spiritual Authority - Andrew Wommack / 12 Questions People Ask About The Christian Faith / Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.