Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,766 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

Praying For The Dead - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Praying For The Dead (9104 Views)

Check Out This Picture Of A Pastor Praying For A Woman In Church. SCREENSHOT. / Doctor Prays Over Dead Patient, Raises Him From The Dead / Pastor Runs Mad While Praying For Mad Man In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Praying For The Dead by ijawkid(m): 6:06pm On Nov 14, 2012
chukwudi44:
Where did you read it was impostor? Did it not correctly prophesy saul's fate?

Now how about moses during the transfiguration.Was it also an impostor.

Satan and his demons knew exactly that saul had fallen short of Gods glory....
There was never a way any king of isreal would disobey God and win battles....never!!!!!......

Remember satan can always parade as an angel of light....this is why many are decieved with stories of people seeing there dead relatives .....it is The devil and his demons that are causing all that chaos..........

Talking about the transfguration,it was a vision....

Did you know it was a vision??...

Hope you know what a vision means....??...

The transfiguration was a foregleam of what was to happen in the future......

Moses and elijah were not literally present....it was a vision...

Matthew 17:9 tells us that...

English Standard Version (©2001)
And as they were coming down the mountain,
Jesus commanded them, “Tell no one the
"vision", until the Son of Man is raised from the
dead.”
Re: Praying For The Dead by HerexG(m): 6:06pm On Nov 14, 2012
chukwudi44:

That verse clearly says not every sin will lead to damnation and thus we should pray for our loved ones who have departed.Even paul prayed for his late friend onesiphorous

Who told you onesiphorous was dead, there was never a book or material which confirmed that onesiphorous was dead my friend, they are all human assumptions.
Re: Praying For The Dead by ijawkid(m): 6:12pm On Nov 14, 2012
chukwudi44:

That verse clearly says not every sin will lead to damnation and thus we should pray for our loved ones who have departed.Even paul prayed for his late friend onesiphorous

16 If you see any brother or sister
commit a sin that does not lead to
death, you should pray and God will give
them life. I refer to those whose sin
does not lead to death. There is a sin
that leads to death. I am not saying
that you should pray about that.

How does that verse up there support the lie you just wrote.....where does that verse mention those that have died(departed) and need prayers.....

SMH!!!!!.....show me where it says those who have departed.....
Re: Praying For The Dead by ijawkid(m): 6:13pm On Nov 14, 2012
HerexG :

Who told you onesiphorous was dead, there was never a book or material which confirmed that onesiphorous was dead my friend, they are all human assumptions.

I wanted to bring up that point too.....

Where did the scriptures say onesiphorus died .......

Let chukwu open the scriptures......
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 14, 2012
@ijawkid

We will come back to onesiphorous

But kindly explain how moses was able to converse with Jesus,elijah and peter after he was supposed to have died abi was he also an impostor?
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 14, 2012
Also none of you had bothered to inteprete 1 cor 15:29-30.

Please kindly explain why people were baptsied on behalf of those who had died.
Re: Praying For The Dead by ijawkid(m): 6:30pm On Nov 14, 2012
chukwudi44: @ijawkid

We will come back to onesiphorous

But kindly explain how moses was able to converse with Jesus,elijah and peter after he was supposed to have died abi was he also an impostor?

You knw wetin vision be at all??...

Ok now let's go from your spurios stand....

After elijah and moses departed where did they go to??....purgatory??
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 6:31pm On Nov 14, 2012
ijawkid:

16 If you see any brother or sister
commit a sin that does not lead to
death, you should pray and God will give
them life. I refer to those whose sin
does not lead to death. There is a sin
that leads to death. I am not saying
that you should pray about that.

How does that verse up there support the lie you just wrote.....where does that verse mention those that have died(departed) and need prayers.....

SMH!!!!!.....show me where it says those who have departed.....

Kindly explain what you understand by the sentence "all unwrongdoing is sin but there is a sin which do not lead to death"
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 6:33pm On Nov 14, 2012
ijawkid:

You knw wetin vision be at all??...

Ok now let's go from your spurios stand....

After elijah and moses departed where did they go to??....purgatory??

Which yeye vision? Where did you read that from? That was a live apparition.Are you asking me where they went? Did the bible not inform you elijah was taken up to heaven and moses body was also taken to heaven?
Re: Praying For The Dead by ijawkid(m): 6:52pm On Nov 14, 2012
chukwudi44: Also none of you had bothered to inteprete 1 cor 15:29-30.

Please kindly explain why people were baptsied on behalf of those who had died.

Your doctrine of vicarious baptism is not what paul was explÀining in that scripture.....

If you think it was the custom of the apostles to undergo water immersion in behalf of the dead,then you must be dreaming.....

If you had read down you would have understood that paul was talking about how christians took part or were immersed into a course of life that will lead to a death of integrity like that of Christ....romans 6:3 explains that....

In verse 31 paul says...

New Living Translation (©2007)
For I swear, dear brothers and sisters, that I
face" death" daily. This is as certain as my pride
in what Christ Jesus our Lord has done in you.
..........__________________

Paul was only stressing that the life of a christian involves a course of integrity keeping under test,À daily facing of death ,and finally a death of integrity,followed by the heavenly ressurection......

Its like you have bÉen literally baptized on behalf of maybe your ancestors ....abi??lol..
Re: Praying For The Dead by ijawkid(m): 6:55pm On Nov 14, 2012
chukwudi44:

Which yeye vision? Where did you read that from? That was a live apparition.Are you asking me where they went? Did the bible not inform you elijah was taken up to heaven and moses body was also taken to heaven?

Which heaven??....

Jesus said no man has ascended into heaven my bro......

So elijah and moses are still in there graves sleeping...you hear me??...

I quoted matthew for you to see it was a ""vision.."" Didn't you read the matthew 17:9 I quoted??...

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
As they were coming down from the mountain,
Jesus commanded them, saying, "Tell the
"vision" to no one until the Son of Man has risen
from the dead."
Re: Praying For The Dead by ijawkid(m): 6:57pm On Nov 14, 2012
chukwudi44:

Kindly explain what you understand by the sentence "all unwrongdoing is sin but there is a sin which do not lead to death"

your quote doesn't prove that the dead should be prayed for......

Quote explicit verses.....
Re: Praying For The Dead by Boomark(m): 5:01am On Nov 15, 2012
chukwudi44:

Jude 1:9
New International Version (NIV)
9 But even the archangel Michael,
when he was disputing with the
devil about the body of Moses, did
not himself dare to condemn him
for slander but said, “The Lord
rebuke you!”

Deuteronomy 34:5-6
New International Version (NIV)

5 And Moses the servant of the
LORD died there in Moab, as the
LORD had said. 6 He buried him
in Moab, in the valley opposite Bet
Peor, but to this day no one knows where his grave is.

So read your bible.
Re: Praying For The Dead by HerexG(m): 12:54pm On Nov 15, 2012
There are the Mormon's who teach that baptism for the dead is
efficacious for those who did not believe in life or had never had the
chance to hear the Mormon doctrine. This appears to be a follow-on
from the example set by the Catholic teaching of lighting candles for
the dead or praying for the dead to get them out of purgatory. I've
heard conflicting information as to whether or not the current Pope
has officially ash-canned Purgatory. It would be an improvement if
they let Purgatory go the same way as Limbo went. But the
Mormon's are claiming to have been given the ball (this is what they
claim) that the Catholic's fumbled. So their claim is of divine authority
passed down to them. I don't know of any other faith-system that
promotes that anything can or should be done for the dead,
Biblically or otherwise except that Christ raised the dead .
Re: Praying For The Dead by dilbert100: 2:02pm On Nov 16, 2012
pointless.
Re: Praying For The Dead by KINGwax(m): 2:16pm On Nov 16, 2012
mkmyers45: The books of Maccabeus are canon and what about the book 1 John 5? I wonder why you are bragging up and down with a canon made by a fake man such as Martin Luther
em, praying for the dead will make a arm robber go to heaven?
Re: Praying For The Dead by OILOFGLADNESS: 2:23pm On Nov 16, 2012
HerexG :

I want us to discuss this and make it clear, as Christians are we
suppose to pray for the dead ?

WE SHOULD KNOW THAT SOMETHINGS ARE DONE TO FUFILL ALL RIGTHEUOSNESS, THE TRUTH STANDS

YUOR FILES CLOSES IMMEDIATELY U DIE, NO AMOUNT OF PRAYER WILL MAKE THE WAY U LIVED CHANGE

:ITS APPOINTED UNTO ONE TO DIE ONCE, AFTER THAT JUDGEMENT"
Re: Praying For The Dead by bola4dprec(m): 2:34pm On Nov 16, 2012
And that the human being can have
nothing but what he has earned (good or
bad)
Re: Praying For The Dead by jamace(m): 2:38pm On Nov 16, 2012
HerexG :
But the catholic's pray for the dead, i even heard they even book mass for the dead.

Why take on the Catholics alone? Is there any religion or denomination or even sect that does not pray for the dead?

- All christian denominations and sects pray for the dead, either before, during or after burial.
-Islam pray for the dead.
- African traditional worshippers pray for the dead.
-Even those who claimed not to belong to any religious group, say some words of prayers in their own way to honour the dead or before burying the dead.

You people better focus on the subject and leave the Catholic Church alone o. angry
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 2:56pm On Nov 16, 2012
Remind them of these things, and charge them before God { Some manuscripts b the Lord b } not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers. - II Timothy 2:14
I was born and raised a catholic,I thought I was gonna be a priest at a time cos I was a mass servant in the seminary,I defended the catholism and was ACTIVELY involved in its activities,there is nothing a protestant will tell me that I ll believe. This is my point,no amount of argument here will convice the opposition,it is GOD word and until the HOLY SPIRIT convicts a man of GODS word he ll neva understand it,this is the reason I don't comment in the religious section,when atheists or muslims bring up such arguments. The devil and his agents are on NL,and their job is to make people fall further from the faith.

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by Wsdm: 2:56pm On Nov 16, 2012
chukwudi44:

... You want me to agree with heretics who removed 7 books from the bible less than 200 years ago
If this is said about other holy books, what will you say of those books?... As for me, i will say; 'Adultrated'.
Re: Praying For The Dead by HerexG(m): 3:20pm On Nov 16, 2012
Wsdm: If this is said about other holy books, what will you say of those books?... As for me, i will say; 'Adultrated'.

All what you needed in life to be a success and saved are written and carefully selected and given to us as the holy bible, so what else do you want ?
Re: Praying For The Dead by Foxflames: 3:30pm On Nov 16, 2012
I think protestants are so obsessed with scriptures instead of Christ! Every protestant church has a different interpretation to a bible passage. The only thing they have in common is to attack the Catholic Church!
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 3:32pm On Nov 16, 2012
and when does judgement take place oga? the bible said after death...remember the books were read after Satan had finally been defeated, and that has not happened yet.
HerexG :
there is no proof anywhere Onesiphorous died anywhere., remember after death come judgement. Instead of praying for the dead you has already gotten their judgement, pray for those who re still alive and perishing...
Re: Praying For The Dead by stacomaster(m): 3:32pm On Nov 16, 2012
The Question Is Do Purgatory Exist? N why Do we Pray 4 Dose In Purgatory!
Re: Praying For The Dead by hurricaneChris: 4:00pm On Nov 16, 2012
I'm jus forced by d blindness (to d truth) of some folks here to comment.

In 2nd Macaebees Judas Maccabees collected offerings frm d remaining soldiers and sent to Jerusalem in atonement for the sins of soldiers killed in d war in d town of Adullam.

I believe the greatest thing done against some Christians was d removal of some scriptural books by Luther King.

I wud rather pray to God frm my houz if am tayad of catholic dan to b part of heresy.

Deus, concedat pater meus et domesticos qui mortui requiem aerternam==>

God, grant my father and family members who have died aternal rest.....Amen

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 16, 2012
frosbel: Praying for the dead is of no consequence, you can only pray for the living who have hope while the breath of God is still in their nostrils !!

I disagree.

Q: If we are but souls trapped in the human flesh, why is it nonsensical to pray for, talk to or reminisce about those who have already departed? Christians do believe in a hearafter so wouldnt that mean direct communication to those who have passed on or through God should be encouraged? After all if I am not mistaken Jesus falls into this category...right? Yet ppl still pray for and to him so.......maybe its just me. tongue
Re: Praying For The Dead by uczay(m): 4:47pm On Nov 16, 2012
HerexG :
Praying to the dead is strictly forbidden in the Bible. Deuteronomy
18:11 tells us that anyone who “consults with the dead” is “detestable
to the Lord.”

Simple Grammar is deceiving U...Is it suppose to be praying to the dead or praying for the dead. why not read properly before commenting.
Re: Praying For The Dead by Timijo(m): 4:51pm On Nov 16, 2012
chukwudi44: Prayers for the dead are mentioned in 2 macabees 12:38-45 and I John 5:16-17.But you have to have the bible with the completely canonised books to see the books of macabees.
1John 5:16-17 does nt say pray for d dead. It says pray for d sin that can lead to death. After death is judgement, so, there is no amount of prayer that can avert the judgement. Why are u now wasting ur time praying for the dead? You can pray for the relatives for divine consolation.
Re: Praying For The Dead by try69: 4:55pm On Nov 16, 2012
frosbel:

Pagan !!!

But when they say "may his/her soul rest in peace" , you say "AMEN" abi? Olodo

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by Timijo(m): 5:05pm On Nov 16, 2012
Let me tell you guys what u don't know, whenever a child of God dies, he or she has gone home to rest with the Father (God). He or she doesn't need the prayer of anybody to rest in peace. If he or she is not a child of God, he or she has gone to be judged according to his or her work. There is no amount of prayer that can save him or her from eternal punishment. Remember, after death is judgement.
Re: Praying For The Dead by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 16, 2012
Timijo: Let me tell you guys what u don't know, whenever a child of God dies, he or she has gone home to rest with the Father (God). He or she doesn't need the prayer of anybody to rest in peace. If he or she is not a child of God, he or she has gone to be judged according to his or her work. There is no amount of prayer that can save him or her from eternal punishment. Remember, after death is judgement.

So we really shouldnt pray for anyone since ultimately Gods command or judgement is what matters then?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

12 Questions People Ask About The Christian Faith / Is It À Sin For A Christian To Love Reggae Music? / Have You Ever Had A Paranormal Experience?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.