Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,766 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? (19033 Views)

BOI To Reduce Unemployment Rate By Single Digit / What Is The Proper Way Of Sending CV Through Email? / Is It Proper To Quit So Soon?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Pidivine: 7:46am On Nov 13, 2012
Is It Proper For Any Reason To Reduce Your Age To Get a job?

It has become a norm for job seekers to reduce their age(s) to secure jobs no thanks to employers of labour. Please do you think it is proper either as a christian or moslem?.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by cleric(m): 12:08pm On Nov 13, 2012
Pidivine: It has become a norm for job seekers to reduce their age(s) to secure jobs no thanks to employers of labour. Please do you think it is proper either as a christian or moslem?.
Not for true children of GOD. Do not sow a seed that will be difficult to annihilate.GOD bless you.

15 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by suqexconcepts(m): 2:08pm On Nov 13, 2012
is NOT proper in any way, If the job is yours, it will surely come to you. don't try to be smarter than your GOD by fooling your employer.
Remember, " for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap " May God help us all.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by tpapi: 10:03pm On Nov 13, 2012
If there is age limit n u cut down ur age they wil stil fish out wen u submit d originals of ur waec or gce 4 final interview screenin
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by SirMethod: 1:39am On Nov 14, 2012
In a case where ur WAEC Cert DOB(not ur fault) is different from ur real DOB. What wld u do? Saying ur true DOB is a lie to them and giving the false DOB in the cert is their truth. What wld u do?

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Pidivine: 3:20pm On Feb 01, 2013
what if your age is increased would you still go ahead to use it that way?
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by harrisnimasa(m): 6:12pm On Feb 01, 2013
Not for a true child of God,i remember atttending an interview and my age was five yrs higher thatn the required age,bt the interviewer were happy that iwas the only one that submitted my birth cert..every other person submitted declatatn of age and i gote the job..wht ever God cannot give u,u dont need it.

20 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Pidivine: 7:39pm On Feb 01, 2013
God bless u. Thanks.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by manny4life(m): 10:50pm On Feb 01, 2013
Why would any prospective employer ask for age, isn't that discriminatory?

Ans to your question, NO it isn't proper. If I were a recruiter, I will fire you before you could even say "it was the devil". Lying to get a job is totally unacceptable, that's why I pity those who beef up their resume because when they find out, some sins aren't forgivable. Let alone a Christian, that a NO NO...Don't even think about it.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by uzeba(m): 10:51pm On Feb 01, 2013
I don't think it is wrong, because some people didn't even know their age!! If them increse or reduce it, it is just ignorance not sin!! #kapish#

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by TeenageMoney(m): 10:51pm On Feb 01, 2013
E good one side, e bad One side....

No tell me to explain.. Use Google

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Wendyslim(f): 10:51pm On Feb 01, 2013
Do what you need to do to get what you want. There is no big deal in it.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by alfredo4u(m): 10:52pm On Feb 01, 2013
if na govt work, i go reduce my age sharply. if na church i go use my normal age. give Jesus his own, ceaser his own. Lol

5 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by claremont(m): 10:53pm On Feb 01, 2013
I wonder when god started to deputize as a recruitment agent. If he was so good in providing jobs for people, then how come there are so many jobless people in Nigeria then?!

@OP: No. If it's yours, then you will get it regardless of how old you are.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by obi4eze(m): 10:56pm On Feb 01, 2013
I am a true christian and will never reduce my age for any reason. If I am asked and I don't want to say it, I'd better keep quiet. But when it's important, such as applying for a job, I'll say it. My age is my age and it won't reduce.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by bumps(m): 10:56pm On Feb 01, 2013
Same judgement dat is applied to those reducing their age shld be applied to those employer given age specification.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Gombs(m): 10:57pm On Feb 01, 2013
Na girls dem sabi do am pass...even for marriage sakes....eg for obudu whr I dey serve, u go see mumsi n popsi dem wey say dem dey 29....u go start dey wonder weda NYSC,jobs,marriage get 'football' age too..

I tire o,thr's no reason justifiable for dat action...at all.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by uzeba(m): 10:57pm On Feb 01, 2013
Na me get my age, anything mek i tell u take am!!
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Feb 01, 2013
Yep,especially when Jamb,Waec,ASUU strike,or witches from your village wey dey follow u bumper to bumper, no gree leave u on time.its normal,will call it football age.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by uzeba(m): 10:58pm On Feb 01, 2013
monsuru560: My slippers
this your slipper go don reach 70years oo!! Hw old are u self?
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by bookface: 11:08pm On Feb 01, 2013
manny4life: Why would any prospective employer ask for age, isn't that discriminatory?

Ans to your question, NO it isn't proper. If I were a recruiter, I will fire you before you could even say "it was the devil". Lying to get a job is totally unacceptable, that's why I pity those who beef up their resume because when they find out, some sins aren't forgivable. Let alone a Christian, that a NO NO...Don't even think about it.

You make this sound like the worst thing on earth. I'd rather take the risk that my employer may find out about my age at some point in the future, and then terminate my appointment based on that, than have my chances at a prospective job cut short despite having the necessary qualifications and experience, based on age. It is for the employer to find out and prove that I'm older than what i say i am.

Is it moral or ethical? Probably not, but it's a Jungle, man, and the bills have to be paid. It's not my fault i came into the world earlier than my potential employer would have preferred and i don't think i deserve to be punished for it.

15 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Sike(m): 11:14pm On Feb 01, 2013
If not... Why not?
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by 1forall: 11:15pm On Feb 01, 2013
Even besides religious belief, it's not worth is cos you'll still get found out.
It's unfortunate that some Nigerian employers openly discriminate on the basis of age but it still doesn't justify lying to get a job because there are still many other employers who don't.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Ganys: 11:16pm On Feb 01, 2013
i cant just stop laughing when i see my Almost 30yrs old Primary sch teacher in 1986 claiming to be 35yrs old last year just because he wants to join civil defense...Choi shocked shocked shocked,
But true true, the man is over 50yrs old lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by PHIPEX(m): 11:16pm On Feb 01, 2013
If you do and later repent, you must go back to confess for you to be forgiven. Imagine making such confession when you have climbed the ladder of success and perhaps have become a public figure? Whatever a man sows, he shall surely reap. Sow lie and reap aboundant lie later in life, it's an immutable law of life.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Exponental(m): 11:21pm On Feb 01, 2013
Nigeira factor....imagine banks n many others asking 4 under 25. Delay in schl no be my fault.... I struggle pass WAEC, JAMB, enter school, ASUU strike n other internal strikes prolonged my days in schl while age kept on counting. I need 2 flow with d society to meet up.....so I adjust.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Ganys: 11:23pm On Feb 01, 2013
Its only in Nigeria that a Man age is like wall clock that runs on Tiger Battery.... shocked shocked shocked
If Battery dies, The age remain stagnant grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Feb 01, 2013
No! It is not proper to do so. What will be will be.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by herkeym001(m): 11:25pm On Feb 01, 2013
Na those employers dey couse am jare, they knew d eduction condition of this country and they will still be seeking for applicant that has aquired B.sc plus Masters or PGD at d age of 21years. E no go beta for Una.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by DonHummer(m): 11:29pm On Feb 01, 2013
al of una de form 4 here...i wont reduce it oo...bt if chelsea coms to sign me ....hehehehe omo na under 12 i go play for.....i

4 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by DeHero1: 11:37pm On Feb 01, 2013
AGE...? It's not supposed to be reduced

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting / How To Become A Member Of The Nigerian State Security Service / My Boss Refuses To Pay Me My Salary For June Till Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.