Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,699 members, 7,805,885 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations (4163 Views)

10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain / Buy Fuel At Filling Stations In Nigeria With Debit Card / Road Safety Officers Or Road Nuisance Officers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by knotty(m): 9:28am On Nov 13, 2012
We certainly do not take safety issues seriously. Our faith in the intervening presence of God more than compensates for our carelessness.
So, we are at ease taking safety issues for granted, even at petrol filling stations.
But, none beats me more than this.

I was at a fuel dispensing station in Festac, MRS to be specific, on Sunday when a man who had just fueled up opened the hood of his car as the attendant was dispensing to a jerrycan carrier.
The next thing we saw was the man dashed into the front seat, brought out another battery, removed the one in the RUNNING ENGINE and replaced it with the one he had just brought out.
WOW!!!
I screamed at the man and it was only then that the supervisor came out and said: ``there is no problem, Oga`.

What about a petrol station that has a resident vulcanizer in it. As he worked on one tire one evening, a sudden gust of wind came and blew his naked fire straight at the dispensing machine. Thankfully that evening there was not one drop of petrol sold in the whole of city as the scarcity of the product was chronic. Now, i imagine if it was a full work day.

share yours please and let`s learn.
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by Afam4eva(m): 11:39am On Nov 13, 2012
Nigerians and safety don't go in the same sentence.

2 Likes

Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by Kx: 11:40am On Nov 13, 2012
Making or receiving calls while fuel is being dispensed to your tanker.
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by stagger: 11:42am On Nov 13, 2012
knotty: We certainly do not take safety issues seriously. Our faith in the intervening presence of God more than compensates for our carelessness.
So, we are at ease taking safety issues for granted, even at petrol filling stations.
But, none beats me more than this.

I was at a fuel dispensing station in Festac, MRS to be specific, on Sunday when a man who had just fueled up opened the hood of his car as the attendant was dispensing to a jerrycan carrier.
The next thing we saw was the man dashed into the front seat, brought out another battery, removed the one in the RUNNING ENGINE and replaced it with the one he had just brought out.
WOW!!!
I screamed at the man and it was only then that the supervisor came out and said: ``there is no problem, Oga`.

What about a petrol station that has a resident vulcanizer in it. As he worked on one tire one evening, a sudden gust of wind came and blew his naked fire straight at the dispensing machine. Thankfully that evening there was not one drop of petrol sold in the whole of city as the scarcity of the product was chronic. Now, i imagine if it was a full work day.

share yours please and let`s learn.

How did the attendant spark that comes with the bolded action not cause a fire?
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by dilbert100: 11:43am On Nov 13, 2012
afam4eva: Nigerians and safety don't go in the same sentence.

lol
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by Exponental(m): 11:47am On Nov 13, 2012
There are so many safety issues that need attention in this country. Not until govt starts by example n enforce, expect many avoidable calamities. Though Fashola tagged some in d new Lagos law but more needs to be done.
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by Koolking(m): 11:50am On Nov 13, 2012
We are not known to be safety conscious in this part of the world, hence our noncommittal to maintenance. Our value for life is negative. We always wait on GOD to take away our avoidable disasters.
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by hyelhira: 12:21pm On Nov 13, 2012
A petrol station has just been squeezed between a hospital and a residential building in my area. And some people claim that they are in the Ministry of Urban and Regional Planning. angry

1 Like

Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by luc26(f): 1:30pm On Nov 13, 2012
Datz y u in nigeria.
hyelhira: A petrol station has just been squeezed between a hospital and a residential building in my area. And some people claim that they are in the Ministry of Urban and Regional Planning. angry
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by coldgate(f): 2:13pm On Nov 13, 2012
luc26: Datz y u in nigeria.
That is really crazy. The residents should write a petition to the concerned authority. We really have to start taking things seriously in this country. We can initiate change only when we choose to act.
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by knotty(m): 2:22pm On Nov 13, 2012
On Toyin Street Ikeja, a petrol station is nested right under a 2storeyed building that is fully residential and inhabited.
Dunno how I can sleep in a house where PMS is dispensed right under my sleepy bum.
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by lahips: 4:04pm On Nov 13, 2012
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by Toluk1(f): 4:32pm On Nov 13, 2012
Wat of bus drivers dat manage buses dat shud not b used. @ a petrol station @ ibafo a bus driver drove in his overheating/overfloating bus he was nxt in line behind my car. It caught fire & he didn't even av an extinguisher.it was d statiƶn extinguisher dey used. If nt 4 God d whole place wud av bn burnt worst stil dere was a queue & hold up on d expres.
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by djmummy: 5:08pm On Nov 13, 2012
Kx: Making or receiving calls while fuel is being dispensed to your tanker.

This is a myth...making calls or receiving calls doesn't cause any hazard.

In any case filling stations shouldn't be allowed in residential areas
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by chykeo1(m): 6:57pm On Nov 13, 2012
stagger:

If you have changed a car battery (on running engine) you will know. However, if you havent, walk up to a mechanic/auto engineer and observe while he does it.

1 Like

Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by jpphilips(m): 7:48pm On Nov 13, 2012
Kx: Making or receiving calls while fuel is being dispensed to your tanker.

your quote sounds unserious to me
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by jpphilips(m): 7:53pm On Nov 13, 2012
lahips: I really wish we could all be safety conscious, companies, individuals, in our homes and daily life activities we should drive safety as our no 1 priority, in Nigeria the culture is poor, we struggle with basic safety activities example using our seat belts both as a driver front passenger or back passenger, having and being able to use a fire extinguisher not just in our cars but our homes, unplugging equipments from sockets when not in use,work at height, example: you will never find a PHCN man working on the pole or about to cut someone's light being fully kitted with the right PPE for the job, no risk assessment at all. SAFETY FIRST PLEASE.

we can also share some safety cultures we feel people should embrace.

sounds SPDC to me
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by jpphilips(m): 7:57pm On Nov 13, 2012
djmummy:

This is a myth...making calls or receiving calls doesn't cause any hazard.

In any case filling stations shouldn't be allowed in residential areas

he has not read part 15 of FCC compliance for cell phones
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by Pakavy(m): 10:53pm On Nov 13, 2012
stagger:

luck,u myt not b dat lucky so dont try it bro
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by Nobody: 11:46pm On Nov 13, 2012
What of a petrol station located next to a cooking gas refill station and on the opposite side of the road is a bakery and restaurant. A massive time bomb if you ask me
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by cyonujemen(m): 5:25am On Nov 14, 2012
The ignition of a car should be put off when refueling. So many pple are ignorant of this. Some fueling stations even display the sign but the attendants don't enforce.
Re: Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations by gennym(f): 1:27pm On Nov 14, 2012
what u might not know is there are stiff safety requirements that are given before you commence building of a filling station by DPR. How many filling station have you heard of an explosion?
It is now left for the management to enforce safety misdemeanor by customer or encourage with clear safety signs and graphical representation.

(1) (Reply)

Pls Can U Help Me With List Of Good Brake Pads And Brake Linning Brands. / Mercedes Benz GLE 350 Or Benz ML 350 / How To Verify Your Driver's Licence Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.