Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,880 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 (5843 Views)

Stephen Keshi Return Again To Lead Nigeria In Remaining Afcon Qualifiers. / Stephen Keshi Resigns As Eagles Coach / 'Some Players Were Madly Jealous Of Yekini At USA 94' - Oliseh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by dammytosh: 11:19pm On Feb 03, 2008
"Don't blame Yakubu, a striker can not score on his own . E.g when we refused to give Rasheed Yekini the Ball during USA 94, he stopped scoring, it was a planned work"

Source: Super Sport 3----- 3rd February 2007 === >  during Nigeria Ghana match review, Keshi and Westerhof were on that table.

1 Like

Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by Ibime(m): 4:36am On Feb 04, 2008
Damn! I thought something was fishy about Yekini not scoring enough in that tournament. Finidi always supplied him though. Did they have a reason for not passing to him? They should be charged with treason and flogged. African man is always fighting with his brothers, allowing the white man to take the spoils. Stupid idiots!

2 Likes

Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by davidif: 7:03am On Feb 04, 2008
wow.
Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by daniyella: 8:13am On Feb 04, 2008
No wonder !.
If you notice very well, After scoring the first goal in USA 94, Nobody Jubilated with him except for Amuneke wu went to drag him out of the net.
The jubilation was unusual, shocked
The guy was just SHOUTING RASHEEDI YEKINI, may be he thought "At least i scored despite their conspiracy"
Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by daniyella: 8:15am On Feb 04, 2008
Some School of thought blivd dt the conspiracy was as a result of the selfish attitude of RASHEED Yekini after collecting the Golden Boot in the Nations Cup.
None the less, wat they did is very bad.

1 Like

Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by davidif: 8:16am On Feb 04, 2008
Maybe they were jealous of all the attention he was getting or maybe his ego got in the way and his teammates got mad at him.
Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by akinalabi(m): 11:03am On Feb 04, 2008
At least he should have scored the glaring ones he
had against Italy. Especially the one Emenalo fed
him with in extra time.

The the so calles conspiracy theory wouldn't
have mattered.

2 Likes

Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by Nwogeneugo: 3:21pm On Jun 28, 2010
akinalabi:

At least he should have scored the glaring ones he
him with in extra time.

have mattered.

my brother you dey see road, omo akin na him u be.
if he had scored at least one of the chances he got during the main gamne we could have won 2-1, but that one in extra time was a criminal miss, make him shut up.
yak no be center forward, na akpa apku him be e(iwu)

1 Like

Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by DrTee1(m): 1:19pm On Mar 29, 2012
Nwogeneugo:

my brother you dey see road, omo akin na him u be.
if he had scored at least one of the chances he got during the main gamne we could have won 2-1, but that one in extra time was a criminal miss, make him shut up.
yak no be center forward, na akpa apku him be e(iwu)

I'll comment below. Let me add another quote.

akinalabi: At least he should have scored the glaring ones he
him with in extra time.

have mattered.

Let me counter both posts above this next post by Ibime before elaborating further with my opinion.

Ibime: Damn! I though[quote author=Ibime]Damn! I thought something was fishy about Yekini not scoring enough in that tournament. Finidi always supplied him though. Did they have a reason for not passing to him? They should be charged with treason and flogged. African man is always fighting with his brothers, allowing the white man to take the spoils. Stupid idiots!

I'm watching a documentary of Nigeria's Super Eagles 1994 matches both at the World Cup and the Nations Cup. Somehow, I feel the top dogs (top hierarchy) in the Nigerian sports media industry who have seen what I now see haven't done posterity a good deal by not commenting on this thread before now.

There are no excuses, everyone who is a Nigerian and uses Google.com would have come across nairaland.com at one point in time or the other.

Those boys were horribly envious of Yekini although Yekini seemed to have had his own attitudinal problems too as he did not gel with his new teammates after the World Cup when he moved to Olympiacos of Greece from Victoria Setubal of Portugal (where he was Portugal's season top scorer with 34goals in 32matches). Note that Yekini was the reigning African player of the period.

Even Finidi did NOT rejoice with Yekini who he passed to for the goal. It looked like though they 'beefed' him (meaning 'conspired against' in Nigerian parlance), they had national pride to protect too.

So, when they were desperately looking to score, they fed him - especially as he was the pointman - and the only seemingly irreplaceable in the 94 team, at least to Westerhoff. There was competition for every other shirt. Only Richard Owubokiri gave him some competition for a while in that period.

Amokachi passed to Finidi who laid it across goal and Yekini tapped it in just before Amunike who was on Yekini's left but neither of the trio joined Rasheed in the net for the celebrations! I've seen many players score goals and their teammates congratulate them in the net where they choose to do their celebrations. But not so for Yekini who scored our first World Cup goal and the man who holds the National goalscoring record.

The rest is history. None of the members of that bunch ever succeeded in the national colours vis-a-vis winning a major trophy outside of Yekini. The best they got were silvers and 'golden-bronzes.' Good for them!
So much about Yekini. Funny enough, Yekini laid the second goal against Bulgaria neatly for Amokachi and he went to join him in the celebrations!

As to the goals he missed, I agree with you. Yekini should have buried the Emenalo pass. That was the only clear chance he fluffed. The rest were at best half chances. We often forget however that he played as lone man upfront against 4 Italian defenders after Amokachi&Amunike were substituted due to injury-something the Italians carefully planned ahead and duly orchestrated.

There was no way we could have beaten Italy. Westerhof's decision not to play another striker and change the now-defective 4-3-3; electing rather to leave it as 4-5-1 was what killed us off. It did not matter even when we had a man advantage!

So much for old stories. But let's get the facts straight!

Cheers!

7 Likes

Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by omar22(m): 5:44pm On Mar 29, 2012
Yekini didn't share the money he got from Tunisia 94 for winning the golden boot the team refuse to pass the ball to him.
Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by NaijaPress: 3:00pm On Aug 05, 2014
Stephen Keshi Officially Accepts Super Eagles Coaching Extension - According to reports from africanfootball.com, super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi has accepted to extend his tenor as the national team coach by sending an official notice to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
http://www.naijapress.com.ng/stephen-keshi-officially-accepts-super-eagles-coaching-extension/
Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:47pm On Aug 05, 2014
Okocha, come and talk your own.

I always suspected Okocha of having this kind of attitude.

Okocha always wanted to attack. Hence he was denied the chance, he starved our strikers especially Martins, Aghali and OGBECHE.

1 Like

Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by omar22(m): 2:51pm On Aug 06, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: Okocha, come and talk your own.

I always suspected Okocha of having this kind of attitude.

Okocha always wanted to attack. Hence he was denied the chance, he starved our strikers especially Martins, Aghali and OGBECHE.

Okocha was a junior member of that squad
Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:46pm On Aug 06, 2014
omar22:

Okocha was a junior member of that squad
I am not talking of USA '94. I am talking. Martins, Aghali and Ogbeche. That was when Okocha was a senior player.
Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 07, 2014
How is this news?

Everybody knows what went down in that team.

With the Keshi Factio and Oliseh Faction.
Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by omar22(m): 12:07pm On Aug 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: I am not talking of USA '94. I am talking. Martins, Aghali and Ogbeche. That was when Okocha was a senior player.

Martin came into the SE team when Okocha was fading out, Ogbeche was his team mate at PSG but was a reserve player and during the Onigbinde era Ogbeche didnt cut the mustard at the national team, he flopped where Agahowa shined, Agali had one good season with Shalke 04 but he flopped big time at the 2002 Nations cup so you cant say Okocha starved him the ball, yes it does happened but Nigeria is not a one man team and assist comes from all over the field.

2 Likes

Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:45pm On Aug 07, 2014
omar22:

Martin came into the SE team when Okocha was fading out, Ogbeche was his team mate at PSG but was a reserve player and during the Onigbinde era Ogbeche didnt cut the mustard at the national team, he flopped where Agahowa shined, Agali had one good season with Shalke 04 but he flopped big time at the 2002 Nations cup so you cant say Okocha starved him the ball, yes it does happened but Nigeria is not a one man team and assist comes from all over the field.
Yekini flopped at the World Cup in 1994 because his team mates refused to give him good services to shine.

Aghali, Ogbeche and Martins all had promises but flopped in the national team. That coincided with the time Okocha was there. I am not talking about history but promising strikers flopping. Note even one Chukwu was I think the top scorer at South Africa and was expected to shine in Nigeria Ghana 2000. Guess what he flopped.

Your points does not explain my point. Jay Jay should confess that he starved our strike force.

Watch the Atlanta '96 game against Brazil. Watch Kanu's winning goal. Okocha gave a pass to the back of Amokachi. A good pass would not have been difficult for a player with Jay Jay Okocha's ability but he passed it to Amokachi's back. Luckily, Kanu received the ball and converted it.
Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by omar22(m): 1:59pm On Aug 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: Yekini flopped at the World Cup in 1994 because his team mates refused to give him good services to shine.

Aghali, Ogbeche and Martins all had promises but flopped in the national team. That coincided with the time Okocha was there. I am not talking about history but promising strikers flopping. Note even one Chukwu was I think the top scorer at South Africa and was expected to shine in Nigeria Ghana 2000. Guess what he flopped.

Your points does not explain my point. Jay Jay should confess that he starved our strike force.

Watch the Atlanta '96 game against Brazil. Watch Kanu's winning goal. Okocha gave a pass to the back of Amokachi. A good pass would not have been difficult for a player with Jay Jay Okocha's ability but he passed it to Amokachi's back. Luckily, Kanu received the ball and converted it.

Dont make me laugh please! so a striker flopped because Okocha hugged the ball too long! is your point, so what was the role of Finidi, Babangida, Ikpeba and all the right and left wingers in the team? are they not meant to create chances for the strikers? Okocha left the international scene I guess in 2006, so tell me in the last 8 years who is to blame? Okocha!! You make it sound as if Nigeria is a one man team!
Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 2:24pm On Aug 07, 2014
omar22:

Dont make me laugh please! so a striker flopped because Okocha hugged the ball too long! is your point, so what was the role of Finidi, Babangida, Ikpeba and all the right and left wingers in the team? are they not meant to create chances for the strikers? Okocha left the international scene I guess in 2006, so tell me in the last 8 years who is to blame? Okocha!! You make it sound as if Nigeria is a one man team!
I just gave you a scenario with Coach Amokachi. For instance, the introduction of Mikel in 2006, led to the end of the Martins drought with two goals in one game in the Nations cup.

All I am saying is that Yekini's case was not the only one. Under Jay Jay, we were trophyless and our attackers were starved. By the way, most Aghali's goals were from crosses. Thanks to lads like Tijani Babangida and Finidi George.

Look at the game against Senegal at Lagos. It took Loosen to come in from the bench to release Aghahowa. Ogbeche was great in the U20 with Sunday Ibeji feeding him. As soon as he got to the National team, he flopped.
Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 2:28pm On Aug 07, 2014
omar22:

Ikpeba was one of the best strikers in the World going to France 98. He was the highest goal scorer in the French league. Guess what, he flopped at the World Cup. Tell me the way our strikers were flopping during Jay Jay's era was not strange.
Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by omar22(m): 2:52pm On Aug 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: Ikpeba was one of the best strikers in the World going to France 98. He was the highest goal scorer in the French league. Guess what, he flopped at the World Cup. Tell me the way our strikers were flopping during Jay Jay's era was not strange.

Oh please!!!

Against Spain Nigeria scored 3 goals - he must be doing something right?

he scored against Bulgaria and he didnt play the last game game which was a dead rubber
Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by omar22(m): 3:01pm On Aug 07, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: I just gave you a scenario with Coach Amokachi. For instance, the introduction of Mikel in 2006, led to the end of the Martins drought with two goals in one game in the Nations cup.

All I am saying is that Yekini's case was not the only one. Under Jay Jay, we were trophyless and our attackers were starved. By the way, most Aghali's goals were from crosses. Thanks to lads like Tijani Babangida and Finidi George.

Look at the game against Senegal at Lagos. It took Loosen to come in from the bench to release Aghahowa. Ogbeche was great in the U20 with Sunday Ibeji feeding him. As soon as he got to the National team, he flopped.

Okocha wasnt part of the mafia group who starved Yekini, it was the senior players led by Keshi, Ammunike, Iroha, Okon, Finidi, Amokachi etc Okocha and Oliseh were junior members they had no say, Okocha was in the SE team from 1993 WC qualifying that qualified for the first WC, which also got Yekini his second golden booth. How could you say we were Trophyless under Okocha when he was in the team that won the 1994 ANC and Olympics gold (ok thats age related) but Nigeria won another trophy 8 years after he retired.... Most of Martins goals were set up by Kanu and not Mikel
Re: Stephen Keshi's Confession On USA 94 by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 3:37pm On Aug 07, 2014
omar22:

Okocha wasnt part of the mafia group who starved Yekini, it was the senior players led by Keshi, Ammunike, Iroha, Okon, Finidi, Amokachi etc Okocha and Oliseh were junior members they had no say, Okocha was in the SE team from 1993 WC qualifying that qualified for the first WC, which also got Yekini his second golden booth. How could you say we were Trophyless under Okocha when he was in the team that won the 1994 ANC and Olympics gold (ok thats age related) but Nigeria won another trophy 8 years after he retired.... Most of Martins goals were set up by Kanu and not Mikel
Okocha was a junior player as you pointed out in 1994. I do not think he started any of the Tunisia 1994 nation cup games. So I am not talking of us being trophyless then. Also, I never talked of Okocha starving Yekini. Read my posts again.

Many were suspicious of the Super Eagles players starving Yekini. Me I was also suspicious of Jay Jay after the Keshi era.

So I want Okocha to confess. Imagine KANU not scoring a goal at the World Cup and Nations Cup. Haba. Something was wrong and Okocha needs to explain.

As for Spain. One own goal from a miss kicked Garba Lawal cross, one header by Adepoju and a long range goal from Oliseh is not from a creative attacking midfielder feeding through balls to release the striker like Silva does with Negredo and Dzeko.

(1) (Reply)

Check Out This Fixed Game I Won / Sir Alex Fergusson's Chewing Gum Habit / Nigeria Vs Costa Rica: Would You Be Awake?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.