Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,551 members, 7,770,426 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:34 AM

I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. (53292 Views)

Somebody Should Help,i Keep Having Malaria Every 2weeks. / I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. / Cancer Week; Please Get Screened. Prevention Is Cheaper And Safer Than Cure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by kinnkw(m): 3:04pm On Nov 13, 2012
Sunny_bobo: @op, I had d same problem when I was in Nigeria but since I left Nigeria, it stopped save for the first few months that I still had some of those symptoms. It wasn't funny feeling unwell at 2 weeks interval and each time I went to hospital, they said it's malaria. I ran all the test I could invluding HIV, hepatitis, Liver function test etc and all were negative but ringforms of plasmodium falciparum were always seen each time I ran malaria parasite tests. Hence I concluded my malaria had developed resistance to most anyimalarial therapy as I virtually used all known antimalarial drugs including the ACTs.

The doctors themselves didn't seem to have any answer to the problem. From my experience (I left Nigeria more than 4 years ago and haven't had such symptoms for close to 4 years now except on my last visit to Nigeria) I would say it is multi-drug resistant malaria and the best way is to reduce exposure to mosquitoes and find out if any prophylaxis works for u.

One more thing is that from all FBC (Full blood count) tests I have done, I have noticed that I have low White blood cell count of between 3.8 to 4.2 which is borderline as normal range is 4 to 11. In my own view, that could explain the decreased immunity but then why only to malaria?

People with Genotype AA, always have declined immune count when they have malaria. It haappens to me too.
I strongly believe my problem has a lot to do with my environment, because anytime i travel out of lagos for maybe xmas, i never get sick.
I have tried to reduce exposure to mosquitoes to the point that it is affecting my social life. I can't come outside by 7pm with out dressing like an Eygptian mummy. For some reason my body smell like tasty fried chicken to those little bastards, maybe because i'm fair.

1 Like

Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 13, 2012
kinnkw:
Yes i have gone for HIV test twice, 2009 and 4 months ago.
I explained everything to the doctor he said it wasn't normal. so we did series of test again which he now
saw a minor urinary infection and malaria.
I was treated and i felt better for a month, probably because i left my environment at the time.
i came back a fell sick a week after.

What of Hepatitis test?
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by kinnkw(m): 3:15pm On Nov 13, 2012
Jarus:

What of Hepatitis test?
I normally do, widal, malaria and hepatitis B.
and going by my medical history, I have never had hepatitis B.
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by MrChima1: 3:16pm On Nov 13, 2012
Simple solution. Get some bitterleaf, nchu anwu and Utazi leafs. Squeze out the liquid contents and drink. It wld take care of the malaria. smiley

1 Like

Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Princessaleeza: 3:26pm On Nov 13, 2012
Run some blood tests,dont focus on Hiv alone. There are lots of diseases dat re more dangerous dan HIV. Just go 4 blood screening by then they ll no wot exactly wrong.
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Turbocharged: 3:32pm On Nov 13, 2012
Constant malaria is a sign of poverty and low-life. Make money and you will become healthy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Princessaleeza: 3:33pm On Nov 13, 2012
holly-pagan:
Comot for ghetto and make u dey drink agbo every day
agbo is not good 4 d liver.
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Nobody: 3:45pm On Nov 13, 2012
I WANT TO RECOMMEND A VERY EFFICACIOUS THERAPY TO YOU. IT IS KIND OF YAKISH BUT IT IS MOST EFFECTIVE.
IT IS CALLED URINE THERAPY. EAT LOTS OF VEGETABLES AND OR FRUITS FOR DINNER. DRINK YOUR URINE FIRST THING IN THE MORNING FOR 3 DAYS. DRINK LOTS OF WATER THEREAFTER. AND I PROMISE YOU THAT YOU WILL BE TOTALLY CURE WITH IMPROVED IMMUNITY.
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Princessaleeza: 3:50pm On Nov 13, 2012
Jarus:
There is a very high likelihood that this is one of the H's. Pls go run Hepatitis test now now.I know an Hepatitis patient and these are the exact symptoms.

It compromises the immunity and that is why you're having malaria at slightest mosquitoes contact. I pray I'm wrong, but there is 90% likelihood that that this is Hepatitis. 1 out of every 7 Nigerians is infected with Hepatitis now.
exactly,u re on point.That is d symptoms of HBV.
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Nobody: 3:54pm On Nov 13, 2012
kinnkw:
I normally do, widal, malaria and hepatitis B.
and going by my medical history, I have never had hepatitis B.

Oh, great. I'm happy to be wrong.

But this abdominal pain and general body weakness are the most classic symptoms of Hepatitis.
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by ACM10: 3:54pm On Nov 13, 2012
Mhudi: I don't think it is about fake drugs because I've been battling with the same issue for more than fifteen years.
I'm telling you from experience. 5 months ago, my cousin complained of the same symptoms. I reviewed all her lab investigations which includes HIV scrrening, thick and thin blood film for malaria, Widal, Hepatitis B and C, urinalysis, etc. All were normal except 3+++ for malaria. What puzzled her was that she had been on different antimalarial drugs which includes malareich, coartem, artesunate, amodiaquine, etc. I told her that I will treat her malaria completely. I changed her medication to another effective, though expensive ACT drugs which I bought from a reliable pharmacy shop. I bought two packs of the drugs and convinced her on why she should finish the two packs. She did not argue with me. To cut the long story short, her symptoms(e.g rigor and chill) disappeared completely on the second day. I encouraged her to complete the dosage. She obliged. She has been free from malaria symptoms for 5 months now. Sorry, I wont reveal the drug to the open forum. It's my intellectual property.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 13, 2012
Turbocharged: Constant malaria is a sign of poverty and low-life. Make money and you will become healthy.
Healthy like Yar'adua, Patience Jonathan, Steve Jobs, Tayo Aderinokun abi?

6 Likes

Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by ACM10: 3:57pm On Nov 13, 2012
rafhell: I WANT TO RECOMMEND A VERY EFFICACIOUS THERAPY TO YOU. IT IS KIND OF YAKISH BUT IT IS MOST EFFECTIVE.
IT IS CALLED URINE THERAPY. EAT LOTS OF VEGETABLES AND OR FRUITS FOR DINNER. DRINK YOUR URINE FIRST THING IN THE MORNING FOR 3 DAYS. DRINK LOTS OF WATER THEREAFTER. AND I PROMISE YOU THAT YOU WILL BE TOTALLY CURE WITH IMPROVED IMMUNITY.
What prevents you from prescribing faeces therapy? undecided

1 Like

Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 13, 2012
ACM10:
What prevents your from prescribing faeces therapy? undecided
i tire o!
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 13, 2012
Jarus:
Oh, great. I'm happy to be wrong.

But this abdominal pain and general body weakness are the most classic symptoms of Hepatitis.
are you serious?
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by ACM10: 4:04pm On Nov 13, 2012
Princessaleeza: exactly,u re on point.That is d symptoms of HBV.
I beg to disagree, HBV has classical symptoms which cannot be easily missed. The poster never complained of yellowness of the eye or pain in the belly. The only symptom which mimicks HBV infection is tiredness and exhaustion. Besides, HBV is supposed to run its course and resolve after sometime. Except when OP is a chronic carrier. In that case, the symptoms will not be pronounced to the extent that he wont bother to complain.

1 Like

Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 13, 2012
Turbocharged: Constant malaria is a sign of poverty and low-life. Make money and you will become healthy.
silly post

1 Like

Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Toluk1(f): 4:05pm On Nov 13, 2012
Mayb d drug u use is not working 4 ur malaria.Please which kind of hospital do u use?don't go 2 private. I'l advice u 2 go 2 a teaching hospital like luth or lasuth or any state hospital.
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by ACM10: 4:06pm On Nov 13, 2012
centje: i tire o!
Dr. Centje! Good to have you here!
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Okijajuju1(m): 4:06pm On Nov 13, 2012
[b]Hmmm

As a native doctor, I consulted the oracle on your behalf and I realized that you are being attacked by Mosquito spirits.. You need to appease the spirit of the great 'Anwuta'.. Even if you relocate to obodo oyibo without offering this sacrifice, the mosquitoes willprocure visa and fly across the atlantic ocean to meet you there..

Things to purchase for the sacrifice;

1. 3 cartons of Mosquito coil

2. 2 cartons of Treated Mosquito net..

3. 4 dozens of mosquito repellant cream

4. 2 packets of LORNAT artesunate.

5. 2 cartons of Mortien Insecticide

6. 2 dozen Otapiapia

7. 1 packet of Naftaline crystal (a.k.a Camfor)

Then 10,000 Naira for fumigation and another 10,000 for the Eze Mmuo..

NOTE: For this sacrifice to work, You must empty all stagnant water around your house before the day goes dark, clean all the gutters in your area and make sure you nets on all your doors and windows...

If you do all these and I do the sacrifice for you and after 1 week the symptoms persist, go see Doctor or Pastor [/b]

9 Likes

Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by ACM10: 4:06pm On Nov 13, 2012
centje: are you serious?
grin grin grin
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 13, 2012
In addition to what others have written.
Op if u eat bannanas pls stop.
Cos studies n reasearch have found out dat Mosquitoes are attracted to people who love eating bannanas

1 Like

Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by ACM10: 4:10pm On Nov 13, 2012
Okija_juju: [b]Hmmm

As a native doctor, I consulted the oracle on your behalf and I realized that you are being attacked by Mosquito spirits.. You need to appease the spirit of the great 'Anwuta'.. Even if you relocate to obodo oyibo without offering this sacrifice, the mosquitoes willprocure visa and fly across the atlantic ocean to meet you there..

6. 2 dozen Otapiapia

NOTE: For this sacrifice to work, You must empty all stagnant water around your house before the day goes dark, clean all the gutters in your area and make sure you nets on all your doors and windows...

If you do all these and I do the sacrifice for you and after 1 week the symptoms persist, go see Doctor or Pastor [/b]
Eze muo Okija has spoken. No appeal cool
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 13, 2012
Odunnu:
Lol. I'm still in training o. Not yet qualified.
really!! So you're in college of medicine,unn?
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 13, 2012
rafhell: I WANT TO RECOMMEND A VERY EFFICACIOUS THERAPY TO YOU. IT IS KIND OF YAKISH BUT IT IS MOST EFFECTIVE.

very true.. hmmm you sound like a crossbearer?
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Nobody: 4:33pm On Nov 13, 2012
There are five possibilities here...

One...you may nt have malaria. One + dsnt necessary mean you hv malaria,we are africans.
In that case you need to visit a good teaching hospital,probably make effort to see a consultant physician for proper diagnosis.

Two...the malaria parasite may have developed resistance to the available anti.malaria drugs. Esp if you among peeps that dnt complete their drugs as prescribed. So visit a consultant physician for anti malaria that is different from the common ones.

Three...You may have defective immunity. This culd be inborn and can be managed buh it will require a highly specialized laboratory to detect such.
However,judging frm ur story,it culd also be due to stress. Stress can decrease immunity. Why did i say stress,you said u had similar experience while in secondary school and now its repeating now that ur in lagos. You need to find a way of relaxing(visit recreation facilities around,exercise etc,maybe a psychologist,if need be). Eat balanced diet. Esp vegetable and fruits.

Four...where you live in lagos is an important factor. If you're constantly exposed to mosquito bite frm stagnant water,bush etc you will surely be hvin malaria. So clear such. And use mosquito net in ur windows,doors and bed. Anti mosquito sprays(insecticides) are also important.

Five...are you a 'sickler'?

1 Like

Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 13, 2012
Okija_juju: [b]Hmmm

6. 2 dozen Otapiapia

God pls keep blessing Seun for giving us Nairaland...ROTFL!
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Nobody: 4:39pm On Nov 13, 2012
In addition to the tests listed earlier and if Malaria is still the most likely suspect, See a doctor to prescribe alternative but effective anti-malarial. Note malaria parasite one plus, does not necessarily mean your symptoms are caused by malaria, especially if you do not have fever. If all screening tests, including that for kidney disease, are negative, consider screening for DEPRESSION. Goodluck!
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 13, 2012
ACM10:
Dr. Centje! Good to have you here!
my chief,thanks jare cool
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by greggng: 4:59pm On Nov 13, 2012
look for a good blood detoxifyer or blood purifier .this will clean your blood and enhance your immunity. you can try using garlic or bitter leaf water .this are natural cleansers.
Re: I Have Malaria Every Week, Please Any Advice. by Wallie(m): 6:26pm On Nov 13, 2012
Hopefully, the drug resistant malaria spoken about in this article is not already in Nigeria!

Malaria remains one of the world’s great unnecessary killers. More than 650,000 people succumb to the disease each year — that’s more than one per minute — mostly in the poor nations of sub-Saharan Africa, but as deadly as malaria is, it doesn’t have to kill. Prevention and better treatment can stop the progression of the disease, and death tends to be a matter of extreme poverty.

Indeed, in recent years great progress has been made in controlling malaria, with deaths down 30% over the past decade. That’s thanks largely to more effective treatment regimens that make use of artemisinin, a plant-derived antimalarial drug originally developed in China. Artemisinin is the closest thing we have to a miracle drug for malaria.

That’s what makes the results of two studies out this week in the Lancet and Science so disturbing. Health officials have known for a while that some malaria parasites in the Southeast Asian nation of Cambodia have begun to develop resistance to artemisinin, but they hoped the resistance wasn’t spreading. Now researchers in the region have shown that artemisinin is becoming dramatically less potent in malaria cases in western Thailand, and they know it’s due to growing drug resistance in the malaria parasites themselves. If resistance to artemisinin were to spread to sub-Saharan Africa, the result could be a “public health disaster,” in the words of lead Lancet author Standwell Nkhoma of the Texas Biomedical Research Institute.

Artemisinin-resistant malaria parasites first emerged in Cambodia in 2006, which led to an international effort to control malaria and contain resistant strains there. But scientists in the Lancet study looked at more than 3,000 patients who were treated at malaria clinics in northwestern Thailand between 2001 and 2010. The researchers — including staff from Texas Biomed, Mahidol University in Bangkok and the Centre for Tropical Medicine at Oxford — found that it took longer and longer for malaria parasites to be cleared during treatment, a sign of growing resistance.

Molecular analysis of the malaria parasites showed that this resistance to treatment was due to a genetic trait — the parasites were adapting to artemisinin, just as they had in Cambodia. “Genetically determined artemisinin resistance in [the parasite] emerged along the Thailand-Myanmar [Burma] border at least eight years ago and has since increased substantially,” the authors wrote in the Lancet paper. “At this rate of increase, resistance will reach rates reported in western Cambodia in two to six years.”

In another study published in Science, researchers at Texas Biomed and their colleagues managed to get close to isolating the genes in the malaria parasite that convey resistance to artemisinin. That will help scientists understand how artemisinin interacts with the parasite, and how resistance takes place over time. In the future, it may even offer clues on how to alter treatment to cancel out resistance — to adapt to the parasite’s adaptation. “Mapping the geographical spread of resistance can be particularly challenging using existing clinical and parasitological tools,” Texas Biomed’s Dr. Tim Anderson said in a statement. “If we can identify the genetic determinants of artemisinin resistance, we should be able to confirm potential cases of resistance more rapidly. This could be critically importing for limiting further spread of resistance.”

Drug resistance is inevitable — the more a treatment is used, the faster resistance will often develop, and the fact is that there are some 250 million cases of malaria a year. The only hope is to try to root out resistant-malaria where it occurs, and stop the chain of resistant transmission. That was hard enough in Cambodia, but with drug-resistant malaria spreading to Thailand and likely Burma as well — a desperately poor nation with a threadbare medical system — it will only get tougher. And if resistant malaria spreads to Africa, where the disease is still a catastrophe, perhaps millions more could die, as Francois Nosten of the Shoklo Malaria Research Unit in Thailand put it:

We are in a race against time to control malaria in these regions before drug resistance worsens and develops and spreads further. The effect of that happening could be devastating. Malaria already kills hundreds of thousands of people a year — if our drugs become ineffective, this figure will rise dramatically.

The struggle against malaria really is a war — and it’s far from over.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/04/06/drug-resistant-malaria-is-spreading-and-it-could-be-a-public-health-disaster/#ixzz2C7mSW4KK

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Patient Dies Of Bubonic Plague In China, An Entire Village Sealed Off / Siamese Twins Joined At The Head Separated After 18-Hour Surgery In Vatican / Stop Using 12.5kg Cylinders As Camp Gas - Nigerians Warned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.