Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,696 members, 7,805,854 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:21 AM

Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate (8913 Views)

Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail / Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate / Earn Money On A Monthly Basis; Its A Newinternet Phenomenon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Pharoh: 8:40pm On Nov 24, 2012
We will be making an announcement soon to clarify the next phase for the debate.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Cuddlemii: 8:45pm On Nov 24, 2012
Since Queen Amina has replaced Queen Victoria, she can ask Cleopatra questions. Then after that, Cleopatra would do the same.

Please ladies, we don't have all day. Lets make this vibrant again. Thank!
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by QueenAmina1(f): 8:46pm On Nov 24, 2012
Thus, rather than being a natural category, ‘the child’ is a “socially constructed idealization that reflects the values and agendas of particular researchers, cultures, and traditions” at a given point in time (Wessells1998: 640).
Although these definitions are well-intentioned for the protection of the category, it does no much good for their vulnerabilities, as it is best suited for societies that are politically stable, prosperous and offer life long expectancies.

What do you say about rather unstable and improvished settings? If I may quote your words:

that taking up arms can be a sensible choice and an attractive option
That seems rather partial don't you think?
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Cleopatra1: 8:54pm On Nov 24, 2012
Queen Amina:

What do you say about rather unstable and improvished settings? If I may quote your words:

That seems rather partial don't you think?

By partial, I guess you mean you would rather have the young people in a community suffer in silence, as they are supposed to act weak and vulnerable under the governance of greedy elders who cheat them by, maintaining a monopoly on the little resources that is left as a result of war spoils, when they are supposed to be passing them down or sharing with the next generation? No, I don't think it is partial, as every human should be entitled to welfare rights.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by salolo(m): 9:04pm On Nov 24, 2012
it is not good
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by ebucha: 9:04pm On Nov 24, 2012
And if we don't come back, tell them we've gone to sacrifice our today for their tomorow
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Cuddlemii: 9:06pm On Nov 24, 2012
Announcement:

Judges will ask the debaters questions for 10mins
The Audience will do the same after the judges are done.
Please the Audience should wait
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by koruji(m): 9:07pm On Nov 24, 2012
My take is this debate topic is ill-advised.
Child soldering CAN NEVER be a good phenomenon.
There is no debate about that.
It is like setting up a debate like "Is Child Trafficking a Good Phenomenon or Not".
Put up a discussion on "Best Ways to Reduce or Eliminate Child Soldering".
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Cuddlemii: 9:10pm On Nov 24, 2012
MEMBERS OF THE AUDIENCE, PLEASE, WAIT BEFORE YOU ASK YOUR QUESTIONS. JUDGES FIRST!
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by maclatunji: 9:23pm On Nov 24, 2012
@Cleopatra1:

1. Do you concede that children are better-off not experiencing war at all irrespective of their location in the world?

2. Would you support compulsory paramilitary training for all children in Nigerian secondary schools in Nigeria considering the "benefits" of child-soldiering you have highlighted?
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Cuddlemii: 9:27pm On Nov 24, 2012
Announcements:

Please, the audience can now post their questions to the debaters.

Judges, please, submit your final scores to the email provided for nairaland judges

Thanks!
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by maclatunji: 9:33pm On Nov 24, 2012
@QueenAmina:

1. Do you concede that due to the nature of war, child-soldiers have a better chance of survival when compared to their non-combatant counterparts?

2. What are your thoughts on the fact that women and children are usually the greatest victims of war? Don't you feel that those willing should be allowed to defend themselves by bearing arms?
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Cuddlemii: 9:38pm On Nov 24, 2012
Dear All, thank you so much for your interest in this debate and your Contributions.

To our panel of judges, project team and debaters, my sincere appreciation.

As a learning stool, I sincerely hope we have learnt one or two things and have become more knowledgeable about the topic.

I hope you will all continue to support initiatives like this in the future.

God bless you all.

Cuddlemii

The floor is open to the members of the audience.
Soon the scores will be announced once its collated
This is the link for the Audience to Vote
------>https://www.nairaland.com/1112406/reserved-audience-voting
Thanks!
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by greatgod2012(f): 9:38pm On Nov 24, 2012
@ cleopatra1
considering d benefits of child-soldiering you have just talked about, would you support your own child if he decides to go to warfield after passing through paramilitary training?
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by SisiKill1: 9:42pm On Nov 24, 2012
Please let's not try to make it personal. Often times, that one person takes a stance in a debate does not mean it reflects their personal beliefs. This is a literature section and the debate is a literary exercise.

If you have an issue with any points the debaters have presented, please feel free to counter it in the context of the debate.

1 Like

Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by maclatunji: 9:45pm On Nov 24, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Please let's not try to make it personal. Often times, that one person takes a stance in a debate does not mean it reflects their personal beliefs. This is a literature section and the debate is a literary exercise.

If you have an issue with any points the debaters have presented, please feel free to counter it in the context of the debate.

Brilliant and instructive!
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Cleopatra1: 10:03pm On Nov 24, 2012
maclatunji: @Cleopatra1:

1. Do you concede that children are better-off not experiencing war at all irrespective of their location in the world?

Yes, as I concede for even adults. So long the global community considers itself obligated to ensure that the problem that spurs people (children and adults together) to take up arms are addressed. No body goes looking for conflicts, but when ever it presents itself, survival should be paramount at the expense of ethical beliefs.

2. Would you support compulsory paramilitary training for all children in Nigerian secondary schools in Nigeria considering the "benefits" of child-soldiering you have highlighted?

Yes, i would. If children are held in high regards at all, such training as I have listed (like fetching water and running errands) would be deemed necessary for their general development.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by QueenAmina1(f): 10:05pm On Nov 24, 2012
@QueenAmina:

1. Do you concede that due to the nature of war, child-soldiers have a better chance of survival when compared to their non-combatant counterparts?

It is the vey nature of[i]war[/i]that has child soldiers as [i]by-products [/i]in the first place.
Are children who have no proper guidance, are they worthy to hold the fate of their future in their hands by violence? Are they better off than those of peace?

If I may add Judge Maclatunji, we are planning for the future and it rests with our youngsters.

Remove the cause, and there will definitely be no effect.

2. What are your thoughts on the fact that women and children are usually the greatest victims of war? Don't you feel that those willing should be allowed to defend themselves by bearing arms?

There are reports of ex-soldiers who feel pretty foolish after they have 'defended'themselves and would rather die than take up arms again.
They are human. They have consciences too like the rest of us who rather go by peace and not war.
Like I stated, Judge Maclatunji remove its cause.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by maclatunji: 10:11pm On Nov 24, 2012
maclatunji: @QueenAmina:

Queen Victoria should answer this as well if she will.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by ifyalways(f): 10:18pm On Nov 24, 2012
@cleoptara, what becomes of the child soldiers after the war ?

Seeing that they've become used to "force, violence and having things done their way" , don't you think most of them would end up as gangsters and terrorists?starting up series of wars against anyone (family, neighbours, country)?
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by ifyalways(f): 10:24pm On Nov 24, 2012
@queenamina, what other(better) options do you think are available for a child that is abandoned or orphaned in the face of war? Don't you think that enlisting is the "best" option for such a child?
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by ifyalways(f): 10:29pm On Nov 24, 2012
@topic, you ladies have done well. Its not easy oh!

The faint hearted like Moi for don claim say my network is erratic. cheesy

Welldone guys.
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by kpolli(m): 10:32pm On Nov 24, 2012
Please judge OAM4J, we are waiting for your score. . . .

Viewers who would like to vote, please go to the viewers thread https://www.nairaland.com/1112406/reserved-audience-voting and vote!!!!
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by SisiKill1: 10:43pm On Nov 24, 2012
ifyalways: @topic, you ladies have done well. Its not easy oh!

The faint hearted like Moi for don claim say my network is erratic. cheesy

Welldone guys.
Lmao! Ify you are not serious!! cheesy
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by QueenAmina1(f): 10:50pm On Nov 24, 2012
ifyalways: @queenamina, what other(better) options do you think are available for a child that is abandoned or orphaned in the face of war? Don't you think that enlisting is the "best" option for such a child?

And enlisting for what I wonder? For revenge at his/her age? Haven't the child been through much sorrow to pile on even more bloodshed?
What is there to gain by trying to find a way to break the cycle of war? Is it by flimsy childish endeavours to take back by force what can never be regained?
There are institutions, families, and humanitarian groups to cater for defenseless ones.
It isn't farfetched to flee and discover new ties, new bonds....

...Peacefully and without bloodshed.

1 Like

Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Cleopatra1: 10:52pm On Nov 24, 2012
ifyalways: @cleoptara, what becomes of the child soldiers after the war ?

Seeing that they've become used to "force, violence and having things done their way" , don't you think most of them would end up as gangsters and terrorists?starting up series of wars against anyone (family, neighbours, country)?

Studies have shown that a large number of ex-combatants have shown psychological resilience on re-integration. Rather than propagate more conflicts, the adversity they experienced seems to help them function better in the society. They develop an interest in leadership most of the time, with a feeling that they can make the economy that caused them to suffer, better. Nevertheless, I must admit that some attested to finding it hard in the beginning, to cope with civilian life again.

1 Like

Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by kpolli(m): 11:27pm On Nov 24, 2012
ANNOUNCEMENT:

VOTES have been counted and the result is ready. . . .

I would like to thank the contestants, judges, organizers and audience for their input in this debate.

Second place goes to Queen Amina!!!!

And First place goes to Cleopatra1!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations

2 Likes

Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by Cuddlemii: 11:32pm On Nov 24, 2012
I guess the debaters can now return as their real self or should I do the honors before they spill? cheesy
Anyways, Queen Victoria is our very own Itsmodella smiley

1 Like

Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by ifyalways(f): 11:33pm On Nov 24, 2012
Good answers, ladies.

Cleoptara, I like your honesty,admitting that "some" of them would have a tough time relating with the society without the "violence monster" rearing up its head.

QueenAmina,revenge would be a temptation many kids that were suddenly seperated from their loved ones can't resist.shock can ginger a lot of emotions; anger, revenge etc
Re: Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate by sino(m): 11:34pm On Nov 24, 2012
very good debates by all the ladies, kudos to y'all.
This was meant to be reasons i wanted to vote for cleopatra 1:
1. I like her introduction, it almost erased my sentimental position, i almost felt there might be a good thing afterall in child soldiers.

2. She raised logical points on the overall benefits of child soldiers, especially to the children, the points look good albeit on the surface.

3. Its evident that she did do her research, making informed presentation and referencing when apropriate.

4, Another point which i feel is also good is; "it seems to be a common fallacy to be comparing children in peaceful and posperous societies to those trying to survive in war-torn ones and conclude from this, that child soldering is entirely negative, and thus undesirable, for children. War, with its multiplier effect, often creates new social, economic, and political systems and relationand compels people to constantly negotiate, adapt and strategise their options and relationships, however difficult their circumstances might be."

5. and the conclusion, well what can i say, good. It brings to perspective the eventual consequences that might arise, be it war crimes or the after effects of war. children exposed to war who might eventually tend towards violence or become psycopaths should be rehabilitated and/or punished(although not equal to that of an adult) according to the crime.

Congrats to cleopatra1, and i want to think i know this contestant sha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Girl Next Door By Tornmill / Is Anyone Attending Ake Arts And Books Festival? / Poem : A Farewell To My Late Mother Part One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.