Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,925 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

Obasanjo To 80-year-old Ekwueme: “you Are Getting Nearer To The Departure Lounge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo To 80-year-old Ekwueme: “you Are Getting Nearer To The Departure Lounge (574 Views)

Photo: Shettima, Fashola On Buhari’s Entourage Before His Departure To Germany / The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face / ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo To 80-year-old Ekwueme: “you Are Getting Nearer To The Departure Lounge by Lilprocess(m): 11:18pm On Nov 13, 2012
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo is once again in the news, barely three days after he predicted revolution in the country.
However, the former military Head ofStates this time was not a prophet but a psychologist.
Speaking yesterday on the occasion of the former Vice-President Alex Ekwueme’s 80th birthday, the retired General told Ekwueme that he was close to the “departure lounge”, advising him to devote the rest of his life to his family and the nation.
Ekwueme was born on October 21, 1932, while Obasanjo was born on March 5, 1937.
He said, “The only octogenarian on the high table, and I don’t think thereis even another person on the other side of the table, even in the hall (that is up to 80 years).
“My brother and friend, and I think the Senate President regards you as atrue democrat; I will join the others in congratulating you on your recent crossing of the bar.
“But let me just warn you that crossing the bar or becoming 80 sometimes means you are getting nearer the departure lounge.
“I will get into the car park with you,but I won’t go into the departure lounge with you.”
His comments drew laughter from the audience. Ekwueme then whispered words to Obasanjo who in turns replied him in pidgin, “As wecome, na so we go go,” which literally means that those who come to the world first would be the first to die.
Dignitaries who attended the event include Senate President, David Mark;his Deputy Ike Ekweremadu; Deputy Speaker of House of
Representatives, Emeka Ihedioha among many others.http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/11/13/obasanjo-80-year-old-ekwueme-you-getting-nearer-departure-lounge/

(1) (Reply)

How A Nonentity Can Make Things Worse For Nigeria / Breaking News: Explosion Rocks Kano… As Attempt To Blow Luxury Bus Fails. / Cry Freetown By Sorious Samura-a Perfect Situation Nigeria Might Find Herself.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.