Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,844 members, 7,806,385 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback (12310 Views)

Privatisation Of PHCN A Fraud, Electricity Workers Tell Buhari / Move To Impeach Fayose Suffers Setback / Buhari’s Eligibility Suit Suffers Setback, Adjourned To April 22 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by WENGERNOMICS(m): 9:53pm On Nov 14, 2012
duality:

bros, forget about that Ribadu report. that is not the issue being discussed. besides If i were your boss and i gave you a job to do stating the terms and you spend so much time, return with an inconclusive report and leak the report before presenting it. I'll tear the report in your face for gross incompetence.

but that is not the issue here.

So u are telling me in all sincerity dat u don't smell something fishy with Manitoba being revoked......abeg.....come of it......dis govt is insincere and Jonathan will be really ashamed of himself in his privacy......Do u know how much PHCN top brass fought nnaji while he was there.....the man refused to be moved......now, they found how to send him out and suDdenly, when d discos and gencos are ready to fly......suddenly, Manitoba did not follow due process......dis is not even shifting goal post.....its up rooting goal post.....Honestly dis night......am ashamed to be Nigerian.....Can u imagine how stupid we look to wall street and the global int'l markets

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Iolo(m): 10:01pm On Nov 14, 2012
jmaine:

I believe if the process was adjudged to be faulty . .then it's pertinent for the FG to address such flaws.And if cancelling the said contract will yield that, then so be it . .

We have hawks and scavengers who scurry for anything to weep about . .If this flaw is left to stand . .it might just be a fodder in the hands of those snitches to dwell on . . .

Better late than Never . .We need to strive to do things right

Perhaps they want to give potential investors no room for doubt.

I hope this is the case.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by duality(m): 10:04pm On Nov 14, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

tear the report because you did not see it first or because the leaked version had no iota of truth in it.. which one.. but let us leave that for another day. on Manitoba.,. at least the Public (not the naive one) needs to know how BPE will process a proposal, have a prospective investor perform due diligence and after 5 years award it wholly only to claim a breach in due process. I have a strong feeling you have access to such crucial info, can you leak it out to save us the effort of trying to figure out what is on the mind of BPE. It seems you will vest your confidence on our indigenous investors than on experienced international institutions with verifiable successes in this field. but hey.. there is a first time for everything right?

Humm. I'll be out of this thread after this. may I state that most of your so called "experienced international institutions with verifiable successes" operating in various sectors in this country,are involved in the biggest corruption scams you can think of. is it Oil and Gas, Power, Construction coys etc. Listen, It is this corruption that fuels their operational engine, It is this corruption that blinds Nigerians. Unfortunately, Nigerians are involved in all these rubbish and thats whats on display on nairaland. so sad.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 10:26pm On Nov 14, 2012
WENGERNOMICS:

But seriously Gbawe......why are Nigerians like this......GEJ approved BPE to go on and appoint Manitoba.....and then suddenly......towards d tail end......they realize due process was not followed......and so u set back d entire process ......back to square 1.......and some annoying nigerians will still be defending such rubbish openly.....

My guy, I really don't know. How can anyone be arguing in favour of the FG here. I am thoroughly ashamed of some Nigerians. As usual, the usual suspects are here defending what cannot/must not be defended and even lying blatantly to shore up their deception. It is the same as how they defended GEJ and Allison-Madueke over the subsidy scam when we all know that it was only the FG (under GEJ ) and NNPC (under Allison-Madueke) that ignored the "due process" they claim to love so much to issue fuel marketers licence to crooks who did not have the requisite capacity or ability to engage in fuel importation.

Here, again, some are defending this dishonest government over a simple matter. It was the FG that chose to re-engage Manitoba willingly after Yar Adua had stalled the privatisation initiative. The GEJ Government had the option to start the process afresh if it felt uncomfortable with Manitoba or suspected anything was amiss. Yet they chose to ignore that option only to now cry "foul" today.

The BPE , directed by the FG, willingly signed a contract with Manitoba. If they want to talk of lack of "due process" what would sensible folks think in regards to government culpability considering the BPE has the duty to ensure due process is adhered to? Should it be like the fuel subsidy saga where the FG and NNPC issued license to crooks only to then feign ignorance when the Nation was scammed blind by those fraudsters? Clearly we have a situation where partisanship and innate dishonesty is clouding logical thinking of some.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 14, 2012
Gbawe:

My guy, I really don't know. How can anyone be arguing in favour of the FG here. I am thoroughly ashamed of some Nigerians. As usual, the usual suspects are here defending what cannot/must not be defended and even lying blatantly to shore up their deception. It is the same as how they defended GEJ and Allison-Madueke over the subsidy scam when we all know that it was only the FG (under GEJ ) and NNPC (under Allison-Madueke) that ignored the "due process" they claim to love so much to issue fuel marketers licence to crooks who did not have the requisite capacity or ability to engage in fuel importation.

Here, again, some are defending this dishonest government over a simple matter. It was the FG that chose to re-engage Manitoba willingly after Yar Adua had stalled the privatisation initiative. The GEJ Government had the option to start the process afresh if it felt uncomfortable with Manitoba or suspected anything was amiss. Yet they chose to ignore that option only to now cry "foul" today.

The BPE , directed by the FG, willingly signed a contract with Manitoba. If they want to talk of lack of "due process" what would sensible folks think in regards to government culpability considering the BPE has the duty to ensure due process is adhered to? Should it be like the fuel subsidy saga where the FG and NNPC issued license to crooks only to then feign ignorance when the Nation was scammed blind by those fraudsters? Clearly we have a situation where partisanship and innate dishonesty is clouding logical thinking of some.
Stop your lamentation and do not make this personal cos of your health. FEDs via BPE signed the contract and faulted it there after, whats hurting you, are you paid by a Manitoba stakeholder to cry online ? FEDs signed the contract and was applauded, they have a better choice now, and the next choice will be more applauded than Manitoba, take a chill pill. You cant do s/h/i/t!
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 10:43pm On Nov 14, 2012
Billyonaire:
Stop your lamentation and do not make this personal cos of your health. FEDs via BPE signed the contract and faulted it there after, whats hurting you, are you paid by a Manitoba stakeholder to cry online ? FEDs signed the contract and was applauded, they have a better choice now, and the next choice will be more applauded than Manitoba, take a chill pill. You cant do s/h/i/t!

Liar, liar pants on fire wink wink wink Is it not easier to accept the truth than continue uttering inanity that make you appear deranged?

Where was this love of "due process" when the FG (headed by GEJ) and NNPC (headed by Allison-Madueke) were happily handing out fuel marketers licence to so many scammers?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 10:48pm On Nov 14, 2012
Billyonaire:

Lets keep conspiracy theory aside cos the dynamics of the world today has been speedily altered by internet and the awareness it brings. I did mention that OBJ did not follow due process in selecting that company and the contract sum is ridiculous. Yaradua hibernated that contract cos he did not want to hurt OBJ & Crew, but GEJ is risking all relationships with the old to set an unforgettable record. The voice of the opposition to this policy will be very loud, but facts always prevail. Lets do this right, let there be bidding, let us not let our old generation diehard milito-political cabals use their press to drum negative energies into your psyche. Let there be bidding, an open one, and let there be light. And again if PHCN is plunging us into darkness, do we enjoy the darkness ? We have to do all it takes for the bulbs to illuminate our ways, our minds and our thoughts.
nice argument but your logic is faulty,first off, it is an irresponsible government that will approve then turn back to revoke its action after a long period of time & resources wasted all in the name of due process,that's so lame, but then again its only in nigeria I hear of such things, even angola down south have strict compliance to procedures, don't put your faith in this government,I doubt if the process will be completed 2 years from now,we really need a change.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 10:53pm On Nov 14, 2012
Gbawe:

Liar, liar pants on fire wink wink wink Is it not easier to accept the truth than continue uttering inanity that make you appear deranged?
Where was this love of "due process" when the FG (headed by GEJ) and NNPC (headed by Allison-Madueke) were happily handing out fuel marketers licence to so many scammers?

I am tempted to believe you require mental salvation. You derail from core subject of threads when your folly is opened up on Nairaland. You are one fellow that needs structural mental adjustment. If BPE under GEJ signed a contract with Manitoba after years of lobbying from OBJ administration, hibernation by Yaradua Administration and now terminated by GEJ when realized that due processes were not followed, who are you to know better than the Power Ministry and the Presidential Think-Tank. You are just a monika on Nairaland and nothing more than a barking dog. You are a paid agents of the surrogates of the Manitoba, and we will not let sell-outs like you handover our collective destinies into the hands of Western Imperialists and their covert representatives within our polity. I represent truth and light, you represent darkness. FEDs know better, you know nothing about Electricity Sector, so just watch and learn.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 10:55pm On Nov 14, 2012
hisson3: nice argument but your logic is faulty,first off, it is an irresponsible government that will approve then turn back to revoke its action after a long period of time & resources wasted all in the name of due process,that's so lame, but then again its only in nigeria I hear of such things, even angola down south have strict compliance to procedures, don't put your faith in this government,I doubt if the process will be completed 2 years from now,we really need a change.

That is what we are telling obdurate apologists too blinded by emotion and sectional bias. Did the FG go into this with its eyes closed or did it select Manitoba willingly when it had the total freedom and discretion to do otherwise? We will see where this is going. Predictable really. When the inevitable happens and a crony of government replaces Manitoba, these same set of Nairalanders will be here trying to spin that development in a positive light also.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 10:56pm On Nov 14, 2012
Billyonaire:
I am tempted to believe you require mental salvation. You derail from core subject of threads when your folly is opened up on Nairaland. You are one fellow that needs structural mental adjustment. If BPE under GEJ signed a contract with Manitoba after years of lobbying from OBJ administration, hibernation by Yaradua Administration and now terminated by GEJ when realized that due processes were not followed, who are you to know better than the Power Ministry and the Presidential Think-Tank. You are just a monika on Nairaland and nothing more than a barking dog. You are a paid agents of the surrogates of the Manitoba, and we will not let sell-outs like you handover our collective destinies into the hands of Western Imperialists and their covert representatives within our polity. I represent truth and light, you represent darkness. FEDs know better, you know nothing about Electricity Sector, so just watch and learn.

Liar, liar pants on fire.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by KA24DETT(m): 10:57pm On Nov 14, 2012
Billyonaire:

Lets keep conspiracy theory aside cos the dynamics of the world today has been speedily altered by internet and the awareness it brings. I did mention that OBJ did not follow due process in selecting that company and the contract sum is ridiculous. Yaradua hibernated that contract cos he did not want to hurt OBJ & Crew, but GEJ is risking all relationships with the old to set an unforgettable record. The voice of the opposition to this policy will be very loud, but facts always prevail. Lets do this right, let there be bidding, let us not let our old generation diehard milito-political cabals use their press to drum negative energies into your psyche. Let there be bidding, an open one, and let there be light. And again if PHCN is plunging us into darkness, do we enjoy the darkness ? We have to do all it takes for the bulbs to illuminate our ways, our minds and our thoughts.

The question should be , Do you think that Manitoba hydro can do a good job of handling the job? Obviously they can. There should be continuity of government, all these talks of old ideas won't improve the economy or make things better. It wastes time which the people don't have.
This is Manitoba hydro we talking about, this is not some fly-by the night hydro company.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by OmoTier1(m): 11:05pm On Nov 14, 2012
Weep not my child..... It is obvious Nigeria have a long way to go. I sit in management meetings, deliberating company expansion, drawing circles on world maps, then I ask myself, why isn't nigeria circled on that digi-screen? Why aren't thy even talking about Nigeria? My heart melts....but will I blame them? With a government that cannot be trusted, why ill any serious investor want to put their money in such a country in the hands of a seemingly rogue president?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 14, 2012
KA24DETT:

The question should be , Do you think that Manitoba hydro can do a good job of handling the job? Obviously they can. There should be continuity of government, all these talks of old ideas won't improve the economy or make things better. It wastes time which the people don't have.
This is Manitoba hydro we talking about, this is not some fly-by the night hydro company.
I am not in doubts of Manitoba's credentials. It will also be myopic to think that Manitoba is the best Company for the job. But certainties that an average person here does not know which are clear to the FEDs are that;
Manitoba was brought into this country by certain persons, these persons and corporates also have stakes in the DISCOs which are against the agreed clauses on the MoU. These persons/corporates also cut dirty deals with Manitoba that are very unpleasant and may end up jeopardizing the process. This is against due process. Manitoba as a company is great, but the moneybags has shown them how dirty business is done in Nigeria. We cant afford to have a Manitoba as a surrogate, no, not ever.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by dabrake(m): 11:40pm On Nov 14, 2012
Nigeria JagaJaga

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by taharqa: 11:58pm On Nov 14, 2012
You guys shld relax. It is undastadable dat many ppl are jittery about hw dis wud affect d Privatisatn process; I was shockd myself when i 1st heard dis. However, if there is any process d President has kept his word, it is this Privatisatn process- all the rules and dates hv been followd EXACTLY as what was spent out in what hv been a transparent process. The TCN was not concessiond nor sold to Manitoba, it was just contractd for Management for an initial period of 3yrs while ownership remains with d Nigerian nation; so this 'set back' wud not affect d TIMELINE of d 'Real' privatisatn process (which has been so meticulously kept so far), infact d GENCOs and DISCOs are already paying 25% of their bid fees and according to d timeline hv 6 months to complete d payments and then take over dier companies. The Nigerian govt therefore hv the time to conduct anoda process to select a Management Comp for TCN. Am sure GEJ undastads that this Power reform will seal his legacy and wud determine d kind of support he wud continue to get from sm Nigerians, including myself.....now this comment is not directd at sm posters here, esp a particular one, who said early dis yr that GEJ wud not be able to privatise d Power sector (it has been privatisd) and who wud hv open a thread spitting his usual bias nonsense and conspiracy theories, had it been later known dat Manitoba Contract didnt follow due process; this comment is not directd to these paid critics cos they dont count
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by warrior01: 12:03am On Nov 15, 2012
dabrake: Nigeria JagaJaga
Your father's house scatter scatter...
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Turbocharged: 12:28am On Nov 15, 2012
Billyonaire: All the DISCOS we selected in an open bid, but Manitoba Canada's contract was signed under OBJ regime without due process, and no open bidding. If we must get it right, we have to be transparent, and we must do it right and not let vested interest of past administrations blind our sense of judgement. We need an open bid process to appoint the best firm to handle this job, if Manitoba wins in an open bidding then so be it.
This Manitoba, Rusal Aluminum, Transcorp, and those India thieves that vandalized Ajaokuta Steel should be kicked out of Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Turbocharged: 12:40am On Nov 15, 2012
KA24DETT:

The presidency has to consider the "welfare of its citizenry" first and above any contractual agreement.

Read this from Punch:

The management contractor was expected not only to expand the grid within the period of the contact, but also to ensure that Nigerian workers were effectively trained to fill the skill gap that had been identified.

However, the PHCN workers had consistently opposed the planned takeover of the human resource and market operator functions of TCN by the Canadian firm, arguing that it would render them redundant.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 12:52am On Nov 15, 2012
Billyonaire: All the DISCOS we selected in an open bid, but Manitoba Canada's contract was signed under OBJ regime without due process, and no open bidding. If we must get it right, we have to be transparent, and we must do it right and not let vested interest of past administrations blind our sense of judgement. We need an open bid process to appoint the best firm to handle this job, if Manitoba wins in an open bidding then so be it.
This one makes a lot of sense, if really that was the situation of things on the privatization!
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 1:19am On Nov 15, 2012
This is one of of the reasons why I will never enter into an agreement with any government entity in Nigeria and will actively discourage anyone whether local or foreign from doing business with any government entity in Nigeria. The unpredictably and instability of our government is insane. A fundamental premise of civilized nations is sanctity of contracts.

An agreement that was signed in July after the approval of the National Council on Privatization and chaired by none other than the Vice President is now "cancelled" by the president. Where is the rule of law when a party abuses its political position to unilaterally cancel an agreement? Are there penalties and indemnities in the agreement actions like this considering the costs the Canadian company will incur?

If only folks realize the damage this has done to the investment climate in Nigeria. The list of agreements cancelled by governments in Nigeria is too long to bother listing here. What is the guarantee that a future government will not cancel this government's ongoing power privatization on the premise that "it did not follow due process"?

That is why you will never find long term lending for any business in Nigeria due to political instability and uncertainty.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by JNdupu: 2:44am On Nov 15, 2012
Not a lot of companies were jumping over themselves to be involved in this Transmission consultancy even though it is the lowest risk activity in the entire privatization scheme. One where you had no responsibility for capital mobilization, just manage this system as best as you can and get paid. I was involved in trying to put together several consortia to take a look but Manitoba was one of those that hung in there.

And, oh, as a Nigerian I was pleased with the selection of Manitoba Hydro because their reputation confers some comfort for potential investors in other sectors of the industry. The selection process for a "Consultant" is not that difficult, evaluate the qualifications against a minimum standard nd select one with the lowest fee proposal.

It is done everywhere else, everyday. The assets belong to Nigeria but the reorganization of the entity managing it is long overdue for it to manage our transmission system effectively.

If this has been scuppered at the altar of "head-in-the-sand" PHCN workers afraid of positive change, (i) it is a sad day for Nigeria and; (ii) I'm glad I am not invested in Nigeria out of a conscious decision made long ago,
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by coolzeal(m): 4:09am On Nov 15, 2012
We are in the 21st century(2012) still this bunch of incapable swine whips called our government cant't even provide simple social amenities e.g Power, roads, standard infrastructures, education, water and classic health care system. If you have being or living in abroad, you will know that Nigeria as a country is a joke. FAILED STATE.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by 1k001(m): 4:21am On Nov 15, 2012
Nigeria's credibility out the window!
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by adconline(m): 4:51am On Nov 15, 2012
Nigeria simply is incapable of doing anything good to benefit her citizens!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by lastpage: 5:42am On Nov 15, 2012
So, IN SUMMARY:

1.) OBJ started the process ...but did not follow DUE PROCESS!
(He probably did some shady deals, under the table ...(That man must rot somewhere hotter than hell!)..
and in the end, we MANITOBA was selected.

2.) Yar Ardua was not comfortable with the "un-due" process but instead of re-starting the process so that Nigerians can enjoy uninterrupted power supply and our nation develop, he simply puts it on 'ice' and froze it.

Now, l can cut him some slack ...he was too sickly to focus or do anything tangible.

Remember: GEJ was the second in command, under Yar Ardua's government and he infact inherit the few years left behind, when Yar Ardua was finally announced to have Kaput!

3.)Same GEJ has effectively spent over 3years as Nigeria's President.....and in those years, he NEVER for once thought that the selection of Manitoba (for which Yar Ardua and himself as Deputy iced the project) did not follow due process?

Is he truly re.tard.ed?

He instead, asked BPE... (we can still recall what Mallam El Rufai did with that BPE, selling-off Nigeria's assets and patrimony, to his cronies that formed TRANSCORP...OBJ features prominently again!!)... TO CONTINUE the "flawed?" process!

I ask again: Is he truly re.tard.ed or just very cunning and unrepentantly corrupt?

Now, after much ado about nothing, he finally SIGNED THE CONTRACT last JULY 2012!

Then in November (about 4months after!), He CANCELS THE CONTRACT he just signed!

Now, Big Question: HOW long does it take to REALIZE that a Contract which has been approved (but not signed yet) did not follow "due process"?

If it takes five years .....like it just took our dear President......

Then it seems that Question: IS he truly re.tard.ed (Or Perhaps Retarded by GREED/CORRUPTION) ....is a "No Brainer"

*I weep for this country!
*I weep for the children of today (who could have enjoyed a robust lifestyle, based on the resources our land is freely given) but must be sickly from obnoxious fumes of Power Generators!
*I weep for those who truly love this country and would like to sink their resources into developing its industrial base
*I weep even more for those that wallow in self-pity in this country!

What did Obama do.....That "some" Americans wish he be assassinated?
And here we are with someone toying with our very lives and that of our "next generation"?

Lastpage!

BTW: I cant imagine that people like Dangote, Tinubu, OBJ, Andy Ubah, Emeka Ofor, and some other "established" looters/Criminals in this country would suddenly "set-up" a Power Company once they see that their is a "killing" to be made! ...and Voila, they are "Power Giants/Coys"! grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Asiwaju9ja(m): 6:39am On Nov 15, 2012
His interest was not represented there. PERIOD.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by tutu1: 6:43am On Nov 15, 2012
If Nigeria is really a serious Country "which it is not" we should be hearing that some one in government resigned because of this embarrassment. So much corruption, I mean how do you award a contract and later say there was no due process, who awarded the contract in the first place and why didn't the authority follow due process and guidelines. if it takes this long just to award contracts and they can't follow the right procedure. I wonder how long it will take to actually carry out the contract, and who will be checking out due process then. Helpless Nation

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Maxymilliano(m): 7:23am On Nov 15, 2012
The Presidency on Wednesday said the management contract for the Transmission Company of Nigeria awarded to a Canadian firm, Manitoba Hydro International, was cancelled because of a series of infractions on the part of the Bureau of Public Enterprise.

It denied that the cancelled contract had caused a division between President Goodluck Jonathan and Vice-President Namadi Sambo, who chairs the National Council on Privatisation.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, made the clarification in an interview with our correspondent.

Abati said the contract was awarded by BPE and not NCP as Nigerians were made to believe.

He explained that BPE awarded the contract contrary to the provisions of the Public Procurement Act, 2007.

Abati said, “The BPE has no power to approve a management contract, according to the provision of Section 16 sub section 4 of the 2007 Public Procurement Act. That section says that the BPE must obtain a certificate of no objection from the Bureau of Public Procurement.

“Another section of the Act says that certain contracts must be approved by the Federal Executive Council. The management contract in question is $23.6m, which is above the approved threshold of BPE. The vice-president is a member of FEC.

“For the BPE to go ahead and approve that contract simply means that due process was not followed. It is a matter of due process, a matter of best practice; it is not a personality matter. The infraction was committed by the BPE.”

Despite the confirmation of the termination of the contract, a source told one of our correspondents that the Canadian firm would still be allowed to apply to manage the critical power infrastructure if it so desired.

Abati said, “Yes, the President has cancelled the contract because it was not done in accordance with the Public Procurement Act. President Goodluck Jonathan has directed that a new process for the selection of the management contractor should begin immediately and should be completed in 30 days in order not to cause unnecessary panic.

“The President also directed that the new process should conform to international best practices.”

However, one of our correspondents learnt that the cancellation of the contract was at the instance of the Technical and Legal committees of the National Council on Privatisation as well as the Attorney-General of the Federation, Mr. Mohammed Adoke.

A Presidency source said the NCP, headed by Vice-President Namadi Sambo, did not take a decision on the cancellation, but recommended the review of the contract following the issue of compliance with due process raised by the AGF and the NCP committees.

The source added that the action was not against Manitoba but the process, adding that the Canadian firm could still apply to manage the transmission company.

http://www.punchng.com/news/presidency-blames-bpe-for-cancelled-manitoba-power-contract-denies-friction-between-jonathan-sambo/

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by mosunade(f): 8:12am On Nov 15, 2012
Mr Gbawe.

Go to government and get a first hand information as to why they did what they did. Stop relying on journalists and biased publications to make a point. Haba. Your mumu don too much for this NairaLand. Your points can not be heard on NairaLand, choose a better media.

You are a biased old man. Get your kids to take over from you. LOL.

Hey. Hope you get paid cool for all these efforts. Nice way to make money.

Don't abuse me o, because as an old man, you should know that abuses goes back to the abuser.

GEJ is corrupt, na your money he steal? Tinubu, Fashola, which one is not corrupt. Abeg, take sand paper wipe that your lieing mouth.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 8:16am On Nov 15, 2012
1k001: Nigeria's credibility out the window!

Indeed.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by victorD3: 8:20am On Nov 15, 2012
Are we forgetting that Canada just deported 2 Nigerian students studying in Canada for working beyond the working hours earmarked for students. Well this happened despite plea from the federal government. In real countries deals are sometimes scraped if diplomatic talks and arrangements fail.

Stop tagging everything to corruption.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 8:20am On Nov 15, 2012
kalokalo: This is one of of the reasons why I will never enter into an agreement with any government entity in Nigeria and will actively discourage anyone whether local or foreign from doing business with any government entity in Nigeria. The unpredictably and instability of our government is insane. A fundamental premise of civilized nations is sanctity of contracts.

An agreement that was signed in July after the approval of the National Council on Privatization and chaired by none other than the Vice President is now "cancelled" by the president. Where is the rule of law when a party abuses its political position to unilaterally cancel an agreement? Are there penalties and indemnities in the agreement actions like this considering the costs the Canadian company will incur?

If only folks realize the damage this has done to the investment climate in Nigeria. The list of agreements cancelled by governments in Nigeria is too long to bother listing here. What is the guarantee that a future government will not cancel this government's ongoing power privatization on the premise that "it did not follow due process"?

That is why you will never find long term lending for any business in Nigeria due to political instability and uncertainty.

This is an important point. In the end, it is obvious the Nigerian government has always conspired to discourage competent investors so it can, through cronies and fronts, gain valuable assets/processes it should not. The cumulative effect is that serious companies stay away from Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

After Raking In Millions From Applicants, Osun Fails To Hold Teachers' Exams / Governors Accuse Jonathan’s Govt Of Importing Substandard Rice During Elections / GOCOP To Buhari: Suspension Of Twitter Major Setback For Businesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.