Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,002 members, 7,799,435 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:14 PM

Water Or Coolant For Radiator - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Water Or Coolant For Radiator (24522 Views)

Water Or Coolant????? / Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 11:20pm On Nov 14, 2012
Hi Guys,

Advice needed. Water or coolant for radiator? Am confused as to which is the better option.
Also for coolant, should it be in the radiator or the bottle connected to the radiator by a short hose? Pardon my lay description, am not a pro.

Many tanx.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:32am On Nov 15, 2012
correct mixer is 50 % water and 50 coolant this is whether the car is in african or alaska, unfortunately half of our african brothers use water only
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 12:40am On Nov 15, 2012
Ardenb: Hi Guys,

Advice needed. Water or coolant for radiator? Am confused as to which is the better option.
Also for coolant, should it be in the radiator or the bottle connected to the radiator by a short hose? Pardon my lay description, am not a pro.

Many tanx.

50/50 water / coolant mix.

What car are you referring to? Because on some cars, the expansion resovoir is where you add your coolant. On some models, the coolant resovoir is purely for expansion, so in this case, the coolant is added to the radiator directly.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by vitality22(m): 3:41pm On Nov 15, 2012
Siena:

What car are you referring to? Because on some cars, the expansion resovoir is where you add your coolant. On some models, the coolant resovoir is purely for expansion, so in this case, the coolant is added to the radiator directly.
@Siena,
for a Nissan xterra, pls explain to me where the mixture of water and coolant is put.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:42pm On Nov 15, 2012
vitality22:
@Siena,
for a Nissan xterra, pls explain to me where the mixture of water and coolant is put.

between the two but it depends with your engine it might look different

Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 15, 2012
Based upon the picture Zim has provided, you put your coolant and water mix into the radiator directly. Your expansion resovoir is purely for collecting overflow, caused when the cooland expands, and is passed to it. It doesn't have a hose at the bottom, just the top.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 7:41pm On Nov 15, 2012
Tanx Siena, I use a camry 2002. Today one of my colleagues added water to the other container connected to the radiator. Said coolant goes into the radiator. Is that ok too cos on the cover of that container is written coolant.
Siena:

Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 7:49pm On Nov 15, 2012
Ardenb: Tanx Siena, I use a camry 2002. Today one of my colleagues added water to the other container connected to the radiator. Said coolant goes into the radiator. Is that ok too cos on the cover of that container is written coolant.

Coolant / water mix go into the radiator. The resovoir is for expansion. And you should not top up with water. Do this over a period of time, and the coolant will be over-diluted.

If you add any coolant / water to the expansion tank, when the engin's hot and the coolant expands, it'll have nowhere to go.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 15, 2012
Siena:

Coolant / water mix go into the radiator. The resovoir is for expansion. And you should not top up with water. Do this over a period of time, and the coolant will be over-diluted.

If you add any coolant / water to the expansion tank, when the engin's hot and the coolant expands, it'll have nowhere to go.

Wow...tanx. So its adviceable I drain out a bit of water in the reservoir container then? Also one last question....The color of the coolant in my radiator is pinkish but the one I bought is greenish, does it matter?
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 8:11pm On Nov 15, 2012
Ardenb: Wow...tanx. So its adviceable I drain out a bit of water in the reservoir container then? Also one last question....The color of the coolant in my radiator is pinkish but the one I bought is greenish, does it matter?

You can siphon out about half of the resovoir contents.

You should NOT mix coolant! Modern engines run the pink or red stuff, some current Korean models and Mazda run green, real old nails run blue.

You shouldn't mix coolant types - there's more to coolant than just the colors - their composition are different, and some light alloy cylinder head will react to the wrong coolant.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by dskenky(m): 8:13pm On Nov 15, 2012
@ Siena
Pls wot happens if the water in the Reservoir drops down ? wot's the next line of action then? thanx for ur anticipated response.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by cecegorz(m): 10:22am On Nov 18, 2012
Ardenb:

Wow...tanx. So its adviceable I drain out a bit of water in the reservoir container then? Also one last question....The color of the coolant in my radiator is pinkish but the one I bought is greenish, does it matter?
I guess we are in the same fix here. My car came in with pinkish coolant but because I've not seen it anywhere to buy (all over Lagos, all I see in the shops is the green one, even asked someone in trade fair complex to check for me, same story ).
Since then, I've been topping up with just water and it's almost fully diluted now.
Anybody knows where I can get Pink in Lagos please Holla @your boy.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 11:58am On Nov 18, 2012
dskenky: @ Siena
Pls wot happens if the water in the Reservoir drops down ? wot's the next line of action then? thanx for ur anticipated response.

Once again, you're asking me a question I have no answers to, because I have no idea what car you're referring to.

*What make?
*What model?
*What model year?
*What engine size?
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2012
cecegorz:
I guess we are in the same fix here. My car came in with pinkish coolant but because I've not seen it anywhere to buy (all over Lagos, all I see in the shops is the green one, even asked someone in trade fair complex to check for me, same story ).
Since then, I've been topping up with just water and it's almost fully diluted now.
Anybody knows where I can get Pink in Lagos please Holla @your boy.

If you can't get the red / pink stuff, then it would make sense to import a 5 or 25 litre can. You should NOT be running plain water, and definitely NOT mix the green / blue coolant. Also, you should not drain the diluted stuff, and refill with the green / blue coolant. The aluminium material of your cylinder head will react to it.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by cecegorz(m): 6:49pm On Nov 18, 2012
Siena:

If you can't get the red / pink stuff, then it would make sense to import a 5 or 25 litre can. You should NOT be running plain water, and definitely NOT mix the green / blue coolant. Also, you should not drain the diluted stuff, and refill with the green / blue coolant. The aluminium material of your cylinder head will react to it.
This is so timely! I was actually about to take that route of draining and putting in the green stuff. Thanks a lot for this info.
Now, on the 50/50 mix ratio, when I get the pink coolant, seeing that what I have inside both the radiator and the reservoir now is more of water, do I need to drain everything, mix the ratio and poor in afresh OR Just to drain the reservoir tank only and pour in the mixed ratio.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 7:12pm On Nov 18, 2012
cecegorz:
This is so timely! I was actually about to take that route of draining and putting in the green stuff. Thanks a lot for this info.
Now, on the 50/50 mix ratio, when I get the pink coolant, seeing that what I have inside both the radiator and the reservoir now is more of water, do I need to drain everything, mix the ratio and poor in afresh OR Just to drain the reservoir tank only and pour in the mixed ratio.

I can't recall your car make, model or engine type.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by cecegorz(m): 5:38pm On Nov 20, 2012
Siena:

I can't recall your car make, model or engine type.
Sorry i missed this.
It's Camry '99 LE . 2.2L DOHC

1 Like

Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by leo083: 7:04am On Nov 21, 2012
@ siena thanks for ur expert opinion: my mazda6 2007 model, came with a spoilt radiator, so I top the radiator every day b4 the gasket got burnt n I had to change the radiator( a hyundai double cell was used, they didn't get mazda6 tokunbo). I have never used coolant for the car as I always use waater...pls where can I get coolaant n which coolant should I use, then ever since I changed the radiaator though its doin better now I had to be putting waater about 250 mls every day..told the. Mechanic about it, he said its normaal...pls I need an expert opinion
Then when he changed the raadiator, he removed the coolaant reservoir and just plugged the hose of the reservoir with a bolt...pls candid opinion needed ...thanks
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by aieromon(m): 9:17am On Nov 21, 2012
Wow. I never knew the coolant should be poured directly into the radiator instead of the reservior.

Thanks.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by vitality22(m): 9:35am On Nov 21, 2012
@Siena
I've got a question for you pls, in a case where i dont know the colour of the coolant as the one there has diluted completely that it becomes colourless, what do I do in such a scenario? I use a 2001 Nissan xterra 3.3l engine. And also a 2004 toyota corolla 1.8Xli. (bank type)
Thanks a bunch
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by VIPICO(m): 12:12pm On Nov 23, 2012
Sienna, Pls what make of coolant would you recommend for those of us living in Nigeria for a Toyota Camry 2000 model? Thanks for answering.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 23, 2012
VIPICO: Sienna, Pls what make of coolant would you recommend for those of us living in Nigeria for a Toyota Camry 2000 model? Thanks for answering.

The coolant for Toyota up to 2002 will be the Green stuff. Red is an upgrade, blue is a downgrade, and should NOT be used.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 12:33pm On Nov 23, 2012
vitality22: @Siena
I've got a question for you pls, in a case where i dont know the colour of the coolant as the one there has diluted completely that it becomes colourless, what do I do in such a scenario? I use a 2001 Nissan xterra 3.3l engine. And also a 2004 toyota corolla 1.8Xli. (bank type)
Thanks a bunch

I would advice you flush the diluted stuff out, then fill with a 50/50 green coolant / water mix. The red stuff would be ideal, but green is still pretty good, and is used in current Mazda models > 2012.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by cecegorz(m): 1:45pm On Nov 24, 2012
cecegorz:
Sorry i missed this.
It's Camry '99 LE . 2.2L DOHC
@Siena
I guess you missed this.
Meanwhile, how do I order for the Pink so you can deliver to me in Lagos?
I will need the quantity that will be enough to fill the radiator and the reservoir in the 50:50 water mix, and probably some extra for future top up.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 24, 2012
cecegorz:
@Siena
I guess you missed this.
Meanwhile, how do I order for the Pink so you can deliver to me in Lagos?
I will need the quantity that will be enough to fill the radiator and the reservoir in the 50:50 water mix, and probably some extra for future top up.

Sorry, I missed that! With your Camry, the water / coolant mix goes directly into the radiator, with the expansion tank simply to collect the overflow when the coolant expands with heat.

Shoot me an email, with all details.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by enquirydon: 6:31pm On Nov 24, 2012
my oga in this section mine is Mazda 626 97 model ,what type coolant should I buy, beca i want to drain d one that come with it.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 24, 2012
enquirydon: my oga in this section mine is Mazda 626 97 model ,what type coolant should I buy, beca i want to drain d one that come with it.

Your engine will need the green coolant.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by enquirydon: 6:53pm On Nov 24, 2012
thanks chairman, am learning, will i use coolant or water to top it every morning pls respond need on this.
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by greatlee(m): 6:29am On Nov 25, 2012
@ siena, thanks for the great advice on this section. Please advise what type/colour of coolant should be used for a 1999 isuzu rodeo. Thank you
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 25, 2012
enquirydon: thanks chairman, am learning, will i use coolant or water to top it every morning pls respond need on this.

Why would you be topping up your cooling system every morning? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by enquirydon: 2:47pm On Nov 25, 2012
@ siena.after 50/50 coolant/water .i should leave my radiant alone without puting any water or coolant till when sir.because normaly nigeria car owner do put water inside there radiator everday
Re: Water Or Coolant For Radiator by Nobody: 2:52pm On Nov 25, 2012
enquirydon: @ siena.after 50/50 coolant/water .i should leave my radiant alone without puting any water or coolant till when sir.because normaly nigeria car owner do put water inside there radiator everday

If you're having to top up your cooling system even once a month...you've got a leak. If you're having to top it up daily, then you've got an even bigger leak. To sum it up, your engine's using coolant faster than it uses gasoline.

I used to maintain my mom's old Peugeot 504 GL, Ford Cortina XL and my dad's Plymouth Avenger DL. Never had to top up coolant even weekly, and these are old cars!

I would get that leak fixed.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What DIYs (Do It Yourself ) Have You Done On Your Car Or Plan To Do? / Lady Dumps BF After Discovering His Porsche Cayenne Is Actually China-made / Land Rover Launches Land Rover Defender Works V8 To Celebrate 70th Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.