Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,934 members, 7,806,706 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word (5672 Views)

The Divine Way Men And Women Are Created By God And Its Pitfalls / The Divine Mercy Prayer (free Video and Audio Download) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:32am On Nov 15, 2012
The Grace of Being Content
November 15, 2012.

"And having food and raiment let us be therewith content" (1 Timothy 6:8 ).

The last of God's Ten Commandments--and probably the most difficult to obey--deals with the sin of covetousness. "Thou shalt not covet . . . any thing that is thy neighbour's" (Exodus 20:17). "Take heed, and beware of covetousness" warned the Lord Jesus, "for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth" (Luke 12:15). This warning introduced His parable of the rich man whom God called a fool. "So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God" (Luke 12:21).

And how does one become rich toward God? "Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven. . . . Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. . . . seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" (Matthew 6:20, 25, 33).

We Christians--especially in an affluent society such as ours--all too easily fall into the trap of being possessed by our possessions and may even think these possessions are somehow God's reward for our "godliness." But Paul says those who suppose "that gain is godliness" are "destitute of the truth." We need to remember that in God's sight "godliness with contentment is great gain" (1 Timothy 6:5-6). And with Paul, we should strive to be able to say sincerely that "I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content" (Philippians 4:11).

God has promised to supply all our needs (Philippians 4:19), if we are faithful stewards of what He has entrusted to us. Therefore, God's Word commands: "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee" (Hebrews 13:5). HMM

For more . . . .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Nobody: 11:59am On Nov 18, 2012
I AM CONTENT.

1 Like

Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Afam4eva(m): 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2012
My lifelong dream is to be a billonaire. It's not because i'm not content but because i want to be in a position to help the less privileged.
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2012
afam4eva: My lifelong dream is to be a billonaire. It's not because i'm not content but because i want to be in a position to help the less privileged.
IF YOU WANT TO BE A BILLIONAIRE AND YOU ARE NOT ALREADY ? THEN YOU ARE NOT CONTENT. BEING CONTENT IS BEING HAPPY WITH WHERE YOU ARE. AND WHO TOLD YOU YOUHAD TO BE A BILLIONAIRE TO HELP THE LESS PRIVILEGED ? YOU CAN START NOW IF YOU FEEL SO MUCH FOR THE LESS PRIVILEGED. START A CHARITY AND THEN COLLECT DONATIONS. HOWEVER I GET THE FEELING YOU ARE HIDING YOUR COVETOUSNESS AND GREED UNDER 'HELPING THE LESS PRIVILEGED'

5 Likes

Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by israelbenzion: 12:05pm On Nov 18, 2012
This is d kind of message one ought to be hearing. It is a recipe for a life of peace and inner joy. Guided by this precept,a Christian will not be drawn to d unending quest for material wealth and pursue same with the time he ought to use in serving God. What's d point of it all anyway?

2 Likes

Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by duni04(m): 12:11pm On Nov 18, 2012
How on earth can you as a Man of God preach this kind of message when you're flying in a private jet Op by Nigerian standards, your message is heretic

1 Like

Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Afam4eva(m): 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2012
obadiah777: IF YOU WANT TO BE A BILLIONAIRE AND YOU ARE NOT ALREADY ? THEN YOU ARE NOT CONTENT. BEING CONTENT IS BEING HAPPY WITH WHERE YOU ARE. AND WHO TOLD YOU YOUHAD TO BE A BILLIONAIRE TO HELP THE LESS PRIVILEGED ? YOU CAN START NOW IF YOU FEEL SO MUCH FOR THE LESS PRIVILEGED. START A CHARITY AND THEN COLLECT DONATIONS. HOWEVER I GET THE FEELING YOU ARE HIDING YOUR COVETOUSNESS AND GREED UNDER 'HELPING THE LESS PRIVILEGED'
And who says i'm not helping people with the little i have? Why do charity organization keep going out to ask for donations from people. Why can't they be content with what they have?
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Nobody: 12:19pm On Nov 18, 2012
afam4eva:
And who says i'm not helping people with the little i have? Why do charity organization keep going out to ask for donations from people. Why can't they be content with what they have?
YOU DONT WANT TO BE A BILLIONAIRE BECAUSE YOU WANT TO HELP PEOPLE. STOP DECIEVING YOURSELF. YOU MAY DECIEVE MAN BUT YOU AND GOD KNOW WHATS IN YOUR HEART wink

1 Like

Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Chedarking: 12:22pm On Nov 18, 2012
Such Crap.
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Reference(m): 12:43pm On Nov 18, 2012
Contentment simply means a state of being physically, mentally and spiritually stable in the place or position God wills for you at any point in time. It has nothing to do with dreams and aspirations, plans and progress. It just says you are not anxious about what you don't have nor call to question the place or position you have not acquired.

People who are not contented cannot do the will of God nor follow him because He will always appear too slow, too daft or too old-fashioned for them. That is one extreme. The other is that the lazy and slothful hide under this scripture and cover their failures with it. They should know this: God desires the very best for His people in EVERY aspect of life and good living. He just wants it at His own time, at His own pace and for His own purpose. If that is good enough for you, then you wouldn't err.

9 Likes

Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 18, 2012
obadiah777: AND WHO TOLD YOU YOUHAD TO BE A BILLIONAIRE TO HELP THE LESS PRIVILEGED ? HOWEVER I GET THE FEELING YOU ARE HIDING YOUR COVETOUSNESS AND GREED UNDER 'HELPING THE LESS PRIVILEGED'
obadiah777: YOU DONT WANT TO BE A BILLIONAIRE BECAUSE YOU WANT TO HELP PEOPLE. STOP DECIEVING YOURSELF. YOU MAY DECIEVE MAN BUT YOU AND GOD KNOW WHATS IN YOUR HEART wink
grin grin grin
True true true...Most people that donate to charity and different health research organizations are pensioners with little savings and no meagre source of income. Yet they have direct debits going out of their accounts to this charity homes every month.

1 Like

Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Reference(m): 12:56pm On Nov 18, 2012
afam4eva: My lifelong dream is to be a billonaire. It's not because i'm not content but because i want to be in a position to help the less privileged.

Everything part of this statement is good, honorable and desirable. The only part that is the problem is the first word, MY. This is where God has a problem with us. Liken it to this. I have a poultry where I raise chicks. It is my desire to have fully grown, healthy birds at an appointed time. I'm sure my birds agree with this so they eat voraciously as I give them food. The problem arises when it is time for me to get my money back. If the birds say well, thank you sir for all the food but I want to be set free like my colleagues roaming the bush to do what I like. In this case, how will I as the owner feel?

Material things are never the problem in themselves. The problem is unto what purpose. What is the end game If we cannot be accountable to God, then its better if we did not exist or He did not invest in us at all in the first place. Contentment simply acknowledges you have an owner who dictates the pace of your life and appoints a final destination. Just eat what he gives you an shut up.

2 Likes

Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by philipstanley(m): 1:16pm On Nov 18, 2012
Gud, short and powerful massage
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by bodejohn(m): 1:33pm On Nov 18, 2012
Early in life, I discovered that it is never going to be possible to have more than enough, but contentment is a virtue that should be sought by all. I once heard a respected elder say to remain where you are you have to keep moving... It's a paradox and it took me some time to understand. While you are contented with what you have, it still does not make one less ambitious, but it makes one look for more in a moral way, note that I did not say godly way.

1 Like

Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 18, 2012
Reference:

Everything part of this statement is good, honorable and desirable. The only part that is the problem is the first word, MY. This is where God has a problem with us. Liken it to this. I have a poultry where I raise chicks. It is my desire to have fully grown, healthy birds at an appointed time. I'm sure my birds agree with this so they eat voraciously as I give them food. The problem arises when it is time for me to get my money back. If the birds say well, thank you sir for all the food but I want to be set free like my colleagues roaming the bush to do what I like. In this case, how will I as the owner feel?

Material things are never the problem in themselves. The problem is unto what purpose. What is the end game If we cannot be accountable to God, then its better if we did not exist or He did not invest in us at all in the first place. Contentment simply acknowledges you have an owner who dictates the pace of your life and appoints a final destination. Just eat what he gives you an shut up.

Even this post is even far better and gives a comprehensive explanation of the OP...thumbs up!!!
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by youngdady: 2:55pm On Nov 18, 2012
Kudos to OP and all +ve contributors. With more of this kind of post we might just stir and nudge ourselves in the right direction. We should also not forget that if we read the word of God daily, aspire to live a righteous life, then covetousness, greed and all other wordly cravings won't even come in to play to start with.
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by redsun(m): 4:03pm On Nov 18, 2012
This is the grace the man that wants to know whether edcation is the cause of his plights in another thread needs.He is has to learn to do with a little,which invariably,is the best education in life.

Content aka sacrifice.
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by JagaJaga1: 4:27pm On Nov 18, 2012
I find the post between Afam and Obadiah
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by vascey(m): 4:39pm On Nov 18, 2012
OLAADEGBU: The Grace of Being Content
November 15, 2012.

The last of God's Ten Commandments--and probably the most difficult to obey--deals with the sin of covetousness. "Thou shalt not covet . . . any thing that is thy neighbour's" (Exodus 20:17). "Take heed, and beware of covetousness" warned the Lord Jesus, "for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth" (Luke 12:15). This warning introduced His parable of the rich man whom God called a fool. "So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God" (Luke 12:21).

And how does one become rich toward God? "Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven. . . . Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. . . . seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" (Matthew 6:20, 25, 33).

We Christians--especially in an affluent society such as ours--all too easily fall into the trap of being possessed by our possessions and may even think these possessions are somehow God's reward for our "godliness." But Paul says those who suppose "that gain is godliness" are "destitute of the truth." We need to remember that in God's sight "godliness with contentment is great gain" (1 Timothy 6:5-6). And with Paul, we should strive to be able to say sincerely that "I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content" (Philippians 4:11).

God has promised to supply all our needs (Philippians 4:19), if we are faithful stewards of what He has entrusted to us. Therefore, God's Word commands: "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee" (Hebrews 13:5). HMM

For more . . . .

Tell this to the jet-setting pastors.
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by vascey(m): 4:39pm On Nov 18, 2012
OLAADEGBU: The Grace of Being Content
November 15, 2012.

For more . . . .

Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by cecegorz(m): 4:40pm On Nov 18, 2012
obadiah777: IF YOU WANT TO BE A BILLIONAIRE AND YOU ARE NOT ALREADY ? THEN YOU ARE NOT CONTENT. BEING CONTENT IS BEING HAPPY WITH WHERE YOU ARE. AND WHO TOLD YOU YOUHAD TO BE A BILLIONAIRE TO HELP THE LESS PRIVILEGED ? YOU CAN START NOW IF YOU FEEL SO MUCH FOR THE LESS PRIVILEGED. START A CHARITY AND THEN COLLECT DONATIONS. HOWEVER I GET THE FEELING YOU ARE HIDING YOUR COVETOUSNESS AND GREED UNDER 'HELPING THE LESS PRIVILEGED'
Are you serious bro? Looks like your only reason for reading the Bible is just to look for who to condemn.
You were actually judging the young man's Motives. How dare you?
So because he is not a Billionare yet he shouldn't plan, shouldn't dream?, shouldn't have his expectations anymore? Did all the Billionaires woke up one day and became what they are without building it?
Who has bewitched you? Which gospel are you preaching?
Even if you had taken an oath of poverty, must you wish it on everybody? Your type is those that attribute everything good and luxurious to the devil.
Agreed that the prosperity of fools shall destroy them, but more importantly is the truth in Job36vs11 'If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in Prosperity, and their years in Pleasures'.

2 Likes

Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Nobody: 5:01pm On Nov 18, 2012
cecegorz:
Are you serious bro? Looks like your only reason for reading the Bible is just to look for who to condemn.
You were actually judging the young man's Motives. How dare you?
So because he is not a Billionare yet he shouldn't plan, shouldn't dream?, shouldn't have his expectations anymore? Did all the Billionaires woke up one day and became what they are without building it?
Who has bewitched you? Which gospel are you preaching?
Even if you had taken an oath of poverty, must you wish it on everybody? Your type is those that attribute everything good and luxurious to the devil.
Agreed that the prosperity of fools shall destroy them, but more importantly is the truth in Job36vs11 'If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in Prosperity, and their years in Pleasures'.
oh YE SIMPLE ONES HOW LONG WILL YE LOVE SIMPLICITY ? HAVE YOU EVEN READ THE BIBLE A DAY IN YOUR LIFE ? THE RICHES OF THIS WORLD RUST AND CANKER. YOU SHOULDNT BE SEEKING FOR RICHES IN THIS WORLD. THE TRUE RICHES WILL BE IN THIS WORLD BUT WHEN THE KINGDOM IS ESTABLISHED IN IT. RIGHT NOW THIS WORLD IS A SATANIC KINGDOM. SO THE QUESTION IS, DO YOU WANT TRANSIENT AND FLEETING RICHES IN A SATANIC KINGDOM OR PERMANENT RICHES IN A RIGHTEOUS KINGDOM ? THE CHOICE IS YOURS BUT YOU CANT HAVE BOTH. THOSE OF YOU WHO CHASE RICHES NOW WILL BE DOOMED IN THE NEXT KINGDOM. RIGHT NOW YOU SHOULD JUST SEEK TO HAVE A ROOF OVER YOUR HEAD, CLOTHES ON YOUR BACK AND FOOD IN YOUR BELLY. SEEKING BILLIONS IS COVETOUS AND SATANIC BUT I KNOW YOUR LIL DEMONIC MIND WOULD NOT UNDERSTAND ALL I HAVE TYPED BUT THIS IS FOR THE EDIFICATION OF THOSE WHO WOULD. I AM PROPHESYING IN THE WIND. WHOEVER CATCHES IT WILL BE EDIFIED

AND THAT JOB VERSE YOU QUOTED, YOU HAVE MISTRANSLATED IT. IF THEY OBEY HIM IN THIS KINGDOM, IN THE NEXT KINGDOM THEY WILL SPEND THEIR DAYS IN PLEASURE AND WEALTH. <<<< TRUE INTERPRETATION
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by redsun(m): 5:02pm On Nov 18, 2012
The greedy person,is the one in pain.The ignorant always weep.

The wise ones are the humble ones.And the humble are the contented.
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:35pm On Nov 18, 2012
The Grace of Being Content
November 15, 2012.

The last of God's Ten Commandments--and probably the most difficult to obey--deals with the sin of covetousness. "Thou shalt not covet . . . any thing that is thy neighbour's" (Exodus 20:17). "Take heed, and beware of covetousness" warned the Lord Jesus, "for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth" (Luke 12:15).

Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Techwriter: 11:04pm On Nov 18, 2012
vascey:

I can see many people don't really understand what contentment means. Riding a car or jet is not a sign of covetousness or not being contented. What God checks is purpose and intention. I endorse the quote below 100%

Reference: Contentment simply means a state of being physically, mentally and spiritually stable in the place or position God wills for you at any point in time. It has nothing to do with dreams and aspirations, plans and progress. It just says you are not anxious about what you don't have nor call to question the place or position you have not acquired.

People who are not contented cannot do the will of God nor follow him because He will always appear too slow, too daft or too old-fashioned for them. That is one extreme. The other is that the lazy and slothful hide under this scripture and cover their failures with it. They should know this: God desires the very best for His people in EVERY aspect of life and good living. He just wants it at His own time, at His own pace and for His own purpose. If that is good enough for you, then you wouldn't err.
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by adegbitown: 11:37pm On Nov 18, 2012
If this were to be '5 ways to get a man/woman', this thread go don full.Nairaland!, i hail una
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Nobody: 5:37am On Nov 19, 2012
Reference:

i like this guy
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Kagawa: 9:48am On Nov 19, 2012
Nice one, i bet you wont find much NL-ers here.... ansd those who comment will ay its crap.. they just lack understanding..
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Todaynatoday: 2:58pm On Nov 19, 2012
Nice post. It really takes the grace of God to be content in life. God help me to be content and also to seek the right things from you in Jesus name, AMEN!! AMEN!! AMEN!! FIRE!!!!!
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:31am On Nov 20, 2012
Prosperity Versus Contentment

"But godliness with contentment is great gain" (1 Timothy 6:6).

In this day of Madison-Avenue sales pressures and an ever-increasing array of technological gadgets and creature comforts, the Christian virtue of contentment is a rare commodity. There is even a widespread error among born-again Christians that material prosperity is a token of spirituality and divine approval on an affluent life style.

Instead of a blessing, however, such affluence (if it comes) should be regarded as a testing, for Jesus said: "unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required" (Luke 12:48 ). Paul was perhaps the most faithful and fruitful Christian who ever lived, yet he died penniless, in a Roman dungeon. His own testimony concerning material possessions and standards of living was this: "I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need" (Philippians 4:11,12).

In the context of our key verse above, the Apostle Paul has actually been warning young Pastor Timothy against the influence of those who suppose, among other things, "that gain is godliness," and who think that their material prosperity is proof of their spiritual prosperity. "From such" says Paul, "withdraw thyself" (1 Timothy 6:5). Material gain in no way either produces or denotes godliness; rather, godliness itself is the gain, if accompanied by contentment in Christ (otherwise, of course, it is not true godliness)! Even the most impoverished believer can acquire riches in heaven, where it really counts. In the meantime: "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee" (Hebrews 13:5). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by Rick9(m): 9:47am On Nov 20, 2012
[size=15pt] the same dream i have. I want to help the poor.
[/size]
Re: Days of Praise (2) --- The Divine/Human Word by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:09am On Nov 22, 2012
Asking and Receiving
November 16, 2012.

"For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened" (Matthew 7:8 ).

The tremendous resource of prayer is far too often neglected by far too many Christians. If nothing is standing between us and the Lord to keep us from asking effectively (sin, unbelief, selfish motives, etc.), then God has promised to act when we ask by giving us our request or something better. Note just a few of the many promises to those who ask:

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God . . . and it shall be given him" (James 1:5).

"Ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full" (John 16:24).

"How much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" (Luke 11:13).

"And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight" (1 John 3:22).

"And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him" (1 John 5:14-15).

"If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it" (John 14:14).

"If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you" (John 15:7).

Obviously, there are conditions. These marvelous promises assume that those who ask are abiding in His commandments, truly desiring His will, having His priorities, thinking His thoughts, and are asking in faith and in His name. HMM

For more . . . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jesus Showed Me The Souls Of The Dead That Were Captured / COZA : What To Know And Questions To Ask / A Challenge To All Atheists In The World , Prove These Miracles Never Happened!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.