Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,811 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:23 PM

When Did Tribalism Started In Nigeria And What Is Responsible For It? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Did Tribalism Started In Nigeria And What Is Responsible For It? (2355 Views)

Bayelsa Bombing & Water Pollution: When Did Nigerians Become This silly? / Apc Claims Buhari Is Responsible For The U-17 World Cup Victory / Revolution Has Started In Nigeria –fayemi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Did Tribalism Started In Nigeria And What Is Responsible For It? by isleman(m): 12:14pm On Nov 15, 2012
Growing up as a kid in Lagos in late 70s and early 80s, i only know there is one country called Nigeria. I know there are tribes mainly Hausa, Igbo, yoruba and other ones. My next door neighbor is a Hausa family. We attended the same primary school in V.I(ADRAO) with their kids. Who ever gets set first in the morning takes the kids to school. My dad being a business man usually goes out early in the morning so we try to catch up with him to take us to school. My Hausa neighbors with 3 girls and a boy(ABU) knows this and try to catch up with us too and we all go to school together happily in my dad's car with my siblings as well. Any day my dad is not around or not going out early. then, its the hausa mans turn to take us to school. All we have to do is to wait for him to finish all his prayers. We never knew any tribal or religious boundary as kids.

Coming back from school, we assist one another with our homework and after which we the boys depart to play football with other neighbors who comprise of Ijaws, ibgos and other yorubas while we live the girls to watch T.V either in our apartment or the Hausa's apartment.

On Saturdays, its the turn of our Igbo neighbour turn (Mama Adobi)to host us because they have a video player and lots movies we could watch. In those days, having video was special and the igbo man being an electronic dealer didn't have problem having one.

On Sundays is our turn, the Yorubas. My mum is great cook and other women in the house admits. We cook our Sunday delicacy and after church, neighbors and other friends starts trooping in for happy Sunday feasting. Things were very easy and the country was good then. Then the families in the house gather in our apartment. while the men gist business and politics, the women gist women talks and we the kids play with our toys or play other games. NTA doesn't help kids on a Sunday afternoon those days, unless you want to watch Sunday live show with Livi Ajounuma (of blessed memory). Salah days, for sure we know who is hosting and Christmas period then is a good reason to be alive. we share lots of fun together within the building and to other neighbors on the street.

It was so much fun those days that life couldn't be any better. No fear for anything, there was security, no robbery or heart-breaking crime stories. We practiced the same routine week in - week out and it was fun. I never knew any hardship nor was there any tribal or religious fears or differences.

This was very well after the civil war, did we not know there was a civil war in Nigeria? that didn't corrupt our feelings toward one another, we lived together as one happy family and one Nigeria irrespective of our tribal and religious differences.

My question now is, where did that tribalism creep in that today we keep pointing fingers at one another as if we are new to each other. Civil war (Biafra) stories everywhere as if it happened yesterday. Is this tribalism a problem of the newer generation because it wasn't there or visible in my own time as a kid. Has some people been mis-informed about some stories? has some people been brain-washed? or are people losing memories? what is responsible for this Huge menace called tribalism. Our lack of tolerance for one anther's religion is based on tribal differences. Is it that the newer generation never knew when Nigeria was good and never tasted a sweet Nigeria and therefore do not know what it means to be a Nigerian? is it the fault of a tribalistic parent?

Please educate me here. Am saddened when i hear some younger fellas talk tribalism based on civil war which they know nothing about and continuously spread the virus thereby poisoning pure minds. i still believe in Nigeria because i have experience the true Nigeria before and i believe we can bring back those days if only we can identify where we got it wrong and make corrections.

Am a yoruba man married an Igbo woman becasue of my belief in Nigeria and i wont go back on my dreams. Please, lets discuss it, when did tribalism start and what is responsible for it?

Moderator can only help by putting it on a front page. Thank you all for your meaningful contribution in advance. This is all for the sake of our failing country Nigeria.
Re: When Did Tribalism Started In Nigeria And What Is Responsible For It? by Obinoscopy(m): 3:49pm On Nov 15, 2012
Tribalism started the moment our selfish politicians realised they couldn't win central power. They now resorted to divide and rule politics. They lacked the confidence of winning any vote or popularity beyond their village or tribe. Thus they felt sowing the seed of tribalism among the citizens will increase the chances of a split-up thereby givng them an opportunity to rule their own tribe.
Re: When Did Tribalism Started In Nigeria And What Is Responsible For It? by isleman(m): 4:13pm On Nov 15, 2012
Obinoscopy: Tribalism started the moment our selfish politicians realised they couldn't win central power. They now resorted to divide and rule politics. They lacked the confidence of winning any vote or popularity beyond their village or tribe. Thus they felt sowing the seed of tribalism among the citizens will increase the chances of a split-up thereby givng them an opportunity to rule their own tribe.

That makes a lot of sense. But why haven't we been able to separate ourselves from the politicians of political class who led us into these? why are we following suite?
Re: When Did Tribalism Started In Nigeria And What Is Responsible For It? by Obinoscopy(m): 4:43pm On Nov 15, 2012
Its because we follow our 'corrupt' leaders blindly. We seem not to have a mind of our own. We just agree with whatever they say whether it is wrong or right. That is why you will see people singing songs of praise on how holy Abacha is after he must have greased their palms with a few coins
Re: When Did Tribalism Started In Nigeria And What Is Responsible For It? by 9javoice1(m): 5:47pm On Nov 15, 2012
David Mark’s Neo-Zikist intentions by Chidi4u(m): 11:49am On Oct 29
In far away Quebec, Canada, last Monday, October 22, 2012 in his address at the 127th Inter Parliamentary Union, IPU, Assembly, Mark addressed the theme: “Citizenship, Identity, Linguistic and Cultural Diversity in a Globalised World”, with the progressive view that he would push for the replacement of “State of Origin” with “State of Residency” in the impending Constitution amendment exercise.

Said he, to journalists: “Let’s forget the business of state of origin and go to state of residence. Once you are resident in a place and you perform your civic responsibilities for the period, there is no reason why you should not benefit, provided, of course, you don’t claim dual residency”.

I call this a Zikist agenda, because Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe’s National Council of Nigerian Citizens, NCNC, right from its days under the leadership of Dr Herbert Macaulay, had dreamed of an independent Nigeria where the citizens would “forget their differences” and build a nation where everyone would be proud to belong; a model of patriotic dynamism out of Africa and a toast of the Black world. He had as associates outside the NCNC another political party in the North named the Northern Elements Progressive Union, NEPU, led by Malam Aminu Kano and his followers.

The NCNC was a truly national party, where Igbos produced elected officers in Lagos and parts of the old Western Region, and people from the Mid West and Yorubas won election in Port Harcourt. A Fulani man, Alhaji Umaru Altine, a staunch member of the Zikist Movement who went to jail in defence of zero tolerance to British colonialism, was elected the first Mayor Enugu.

Zik’s fellow travelers

But Zik’s fellow travellers in the fight against British rule did not share his dreams. When Obafemi Awolowo returned from England, his vision was to become part of a national political movement, but only if he would be allowed to control the Western Region cell of it. He eventually founded the Action Group, which had the primary mission of taking over the West and launching out to other parts. In the North, Alhaji Ahmadu Bello and his group were deeply concerned of what Zik would do with Islam and the North if he assumed leadership at independence. They hijacked the Northern Peoples Congress, NPC, an unabashed regional party. With the West and the North now in the hands of regionalists, the NCNC and its nationalist vision were thwarted and reduced to the regional fringes. Awolowo popularised the agitation for creation of states for the Minorities.

It was from these stimuli that the struggle by local elites to take control of the political space within their areas became popular. As soon as the nationalists were pushed out of political relevance, the regionalists in the Nigerian Army started as from 1967 to split Nigeria into states and local governments to give local elites the platforms for the freeloading on Nigeria’s oil wealth (the National Cake).

Born of the demon

Thus was born the demon of “state of origin”, which created the indigene/settler dichotomy among Nigerian citizens. This is the singular detractor to our national integration because a Nigerian can live all his life in a part of the country other than his place of ethnic roots and yet live like a foreigner in his own country. He will pay taxes, yet his children will not benefit from state government free education and bursary awards, which are reserved for “indigenes”. He can register and vote, but cannot be voted for. He and his family will be counted as part of the local population of his state of residency, and yet when the federal allocation that comes as a result of the population density arrives he and his family are discriminated against.

In spite of his contributions to the development of the state, he and his family are frequently harassed, displaced and often killed by mobs incited by local politicians against enterprising “settlers”.

Mark’s intentions are noble. Without giving Nigerians a sense of belonging wherever they live the country will never become a nation. It will never be united. Nigerians have been raised on a diet of ethnic and sectional dichotomies for more than 70 years. States and local governments have been established to institutionalise national disunity. We all are now tribalists and sectionalists at heart. It is in our blood. Even if Mark gets the support of his colleagues to push through the reform, it might merely exacerbate the hostility of “indigenes” against “settlers”, and local politicians might respond with more incitement to violence.

However, we commend the Senate President for standing by this nationalist agenda and hope he will not be discouraged by the odds.

https://www.nairaland.com/1087420/david-mark-neo-zikist-intentions
Re: When Did Tribalism Started In Nigeria And What Is Responsible For It? by FreeGlobe(f): 9:55pm On Nov 15, 2012
^
God bless you. @OP there you have it, Awolowo invented tribalism in Nigeria. He fathered tribalism in nigeria. Every other explanation apart from this is propaganda.
Re: When Did Tribalism Started In Nigeria And What Is Responsible For It? by PaulJohn1: 11:18pm On Nov 15, 2012
Am saddened when i hear some younger fellas talk tribalism based on civil war which they know nothing about and continuously spread the virus thereby poisoning pure minds.

This is what pisses me off most.
Had it been it just the unreasonable adults in Nigeria and here on NL, it would have been cool. But it's been transferred to the tender minds of the younger generation and the ones unborn. I pity my country cry

FreeGlobe:
God bless you. @OP there you have it, Awolowo invented tribalism in Nigeria. He fathered tribalism in nigeria. Every other explanation apart from this is propaganda.

Why not use your brain for ones. It won't take me nothing to get a write up to prove your post wrong just to suit my taste, but I won't, not to involve myself in your endless tribalistic debate.

We keep displaying our uncivil manner of pointing fingers at each other. Yet, no conclusion on how we'll move forward as a whole.
Too bad

(1) (Reply)

No Bank Robbery In Anambra In The Last 4 Years -- Peter Obi / Weeping Centre For PDP E-warriors / Breaking! Lai Mohammed Was Not Kidnapped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.