Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By (13966 Views)

Men's Fashion Tip Of The Day: How To Tie The Eldredge Knot / 7 Fashion Rules For Tights And Leggings. Women Note These Rules. / ~The Fashion Section Rules ~Guidelines & Queries ~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by toluleke(m): 12:37pm On Nov 15, 2012
Every man has asked themselves about matching their socks with their trousers and other assorted questions at some point in their lives. Here I have listed six important men's fashion rules to live by which should at least clear up some confusion about a few things.

Always match your belt with your shoes. This is a good rule to follow and it keeps things simple. It's best to stay with traditional colors such a black, dark brown or a rich tan. Other colors will be difficult to match, and generally speaking, should be avoided. If you wear sneakers every day that probably means you are wearing jeans in which case I suggest trying a belt made of fabric or something equally as casual, but please avoid dress belts with jeans and sneakers. If you wear suspenders, I am compelled to ask you why, but I digress. Just don't wear a belt and suspenders together, it's one or the other.

Matching Ties and Shirts. For while the solid-colored shirt with a tie of the same (or slightly-off) color was seen everywhere. This is now a somewhat dated look. Try mixing things up a little and experiment with colors. Ties are great way to express yourself, but keeping it tasteful is your best bet. You can't go wrong with diagonal stripes, modern polka-dots, plaids and subtle patterns. Just make sure your tie compliments your shirt, suit, sweater or what ever you will be wearing it with. Novelty ties are best avoided since the novelty is short lived.

Note: Ties should be tied in whatever style most strikes your fancy. You should know that there are many different ways to knot your tie, and different knots say different things. I prefer the Windsor or the four-in-hand, but I do suggest that you explore a little just for kicks. As for clip on ties--just say no.

Pleats vs. Flat-Front. Why so many men have avoided flat-front trousers has always been a mystery to me. Flat-front trousers look better than pleated pants, at least most of the time. Plus pleats make you look less slim. I have heard guys wear pleats because it’s more comfortable or because flat-fronts are more for athletic bodies. Truth is most men can wear a flat-front trouser. If you want more room then buy them a little big and have them brought in at the waist. This can be done at the store where you buy your clothes or by an independent tailor. And lastly, flat-font trousers are much more fashionable. How do you feel about pants with pleats? Take this poll.

Socks. The more official rule on socks is that they should match the color of your pants, though preferably not the exact same shade unless, of course, you are wearing black in which case it's okay. However, I personally like to wear socks with patterns, such as stripes in various colors. But I do try to match my socks with my pants and shoes. To quote Glenn O'Brien from GQ magazine, ". . .you will ultimately realize that beyond the valley of rules rises the mountain of aesthetics, the peak of which (if there is one) is always shrouded in beautiful clouds of various hues, many of them resembling certain of my more unusually hued socks."

Note: Although it should be obvious, white socks should be reserved for the gym.

Watches are the single most important accessory a man can own. I really suggest investing in one good watch that suits your lifestyle and taste. However, if you are someone who likes to own more than one watch, wear the appropriate timepiece for your outfit: black band with black shoes and belt; brown band with brown shoes and belt; and silver band for either.

Eyeglasses are one of the few ways you can really express yourself. I have worn glasses for many years and I love having a few pair in different styles. They don't have to just serve a function, but can enhance your overall look. Do your best to find a pair of glasses that not only compliments the shape of your face, but also expresses your personality. Ask people who wear glasses for a place where you can get good advice about what shape and style looks best for your face shape and features.

http://mensfashion.about.com/od/wardrobebasics/a/6rules.htm

6 Likes

Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by candieangel12(f): 3:48pm On Nov 15, 2012
Never wear shorts above your knees...
&& to all my gay guys out there, stop wearing high heels.

6 Likes

Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by Nobody: 3:49pm On Nov 15, 2012
good one OP,very good one...this page has been bookmarked
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by cheddarking(m): 3:51pm On Nov 15, 2012
The most important Rule:

Dress Comfortably but within Reason

3 Likes

Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by bory09(m): 3:52pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sebi na person wey get time na him dey check how he dress. Most of the time na wuruwuru dressing common pass among the guys. Whereas guy are not girls who waste time dressing

4 Likes

Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by Jamesmelbin(m): 3:57pm On Nov 15, 2012
Nice post @op
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by Iaz93: 3:58pm On Nov 15, 2012
I shall heed
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by a1solution: 4:02pm On Nov 15, 2012
Nice one here. Tips on how to dress rough is needed also

1 Like

Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by markus1133: 4:03pm On Nov 15, 2012
nicceee cheesy
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 15, 2012
Your on point OP!!
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by Larryguy(m): 4:04pm On Nov 15, 2012
we don hear
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by Ramcie(f): 4:04pm On Nov 15, 2012
Also, men should plzzzzzz avoid putting on NET SINGLET. It's kinda ugly and weird. Electronic traders are fond of this. grin grin

12 Likes

Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by Macky2(m): 4:04pm On Nov 15, 2012
Alway smoke weed before u leave the house, to increase your walking swag.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by NwaTeacher1: 4:07pm On Nov 15, 2012
Never wear tradition with canvass shoe

1 Like

Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by jeffizy(m): 4:08pm On Nov 15, 2012
7. Your shoes should be clean, shined,
repaired and appropriate for the
occasion. If you are wearing a suit, wear
lace-up shoes. Don't forget to keep
shoetrees in your shoes when you're not
wearing them.
8. Don't wear a short sleeve shirt in
combination with a tie. Actually, never
wear a short sleeve shirt period. People
have the perception that short sleeve
shirts are only worn by lower class
people. You can wear one if you want to
be a petrol station manager, not if you
want to give off a professional image.
9. The Button-Down collar dress shirt is
simply not suitable for dressy formal
wear nor with a double-breasted suit.
Why? Well even though it's now a
business classic during the day, it was
originally a sport shirt worn by polo
players.Ask dem dantatas.
10. Wear the right size pants ok? Pants
are long enough if they have a slight
break in the front. Pants should be long
enough to cover your socks, and socks
should cover your shins even when you
cross you legs.
11. Socks with Sandals. Even if you live
in ekiti, don't do it - you'll look like a
Saworo-ide! Lol
ON THE LIGHTER SIDE

9 Likes

Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by tonymariao(m): 4:09pm On Nov 15, 2012
Pants? grin
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by engrfcuksmtin(m): 4:14pm On Nov 15, 2012
In addition grin grin

16 Likes

Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by Propertysearch: 4:19pm On Nov 15, 2012
engrfcuksmtin: In addition grin grin

The replica of an ape in clothing. lol...
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 15, 2012
Ramcie: Also, men should plzzzzzz avoid putting on NET SINGLET. It's kinda ugly and weird. Electronic traders are fond of this. grin grin
Thanks for bringing this Up! Its Sucks..

1 Like

Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by Shaw007(m): 4:19pm On Nov 15, 2012
Dress to please urself

and u don't wear short-sleeves professionally,it lies within the scope of casual dressing
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by Nobody: 4:21pm On Nov 15, 2012
grin grin grin .. His Swags dnt Lie..
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by Richy4(m): 4:22pm On Nov 15, 2012
The most important rule is to take your bath and be comfortable with what you are putting on. Apply roll-on or perfume. good smell covers multitude of sins.like bad dressing etc.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 15, 2012
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 15, 2012
Ramcie: Also, men should plzzzzzz avoid putting on NET SINGLET. It's kinda ugly and weird. Electronic traders are fond of this. grin grin
lol
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 15, 2012
tonymariao: Pants? grin
^^ Briefs are the way to go. Boxers are for small boys- and fat men angry
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by DAvIt0(m): 4:38pm On Nov 15, 2012
nice write up for men. Thanks
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by GentleNaaz(m): 4:38pm On Nov 15, 2012
Hw does ds concern wt hw a man wl mk hs money n luv hs partner wt d bad boy attributes? cheesy
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by fflamingo(m): 4:39pm On Nov 15, 2012
agbada on point
Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by yuzedo: 4:45pm On Nov 15, 2012
While in University, the most common fashion faux pas was guys wearing check shirt and check trousers..
Or striped shirt and striped trousers...
Or worse, combination of check shirt and striped trouser.. embarassed
S(h)it pissed me the f(u)ck OFF!!!!!!!!! cry
Ibo people stop it!! angry

5 Likes

Re: 6 Important Men's Fashion Rules To Live By by dramenda(f): 4:51pm On Nov 15, 2012
ONE THING I DONT COMPROMISE IS MY LOOK N THE WAY I DRESS,CUS I DO IT TO KILL.... BUT LOOKING GOOD KINDA EXPENSIVE THOUGH.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Miss Polo Contestants Visit Keffi Polo Ranch Stadium; Play For Vocation. / How To Make Organic Black Soap For All Skin / The Beauty Of Aso-ebi Ladies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.