Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,562 members, 7,809,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ (15315 Views)

13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable / Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria / If You Are Unemployed, Read This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by dkolu(m): 2:57pm On Nov 15, 2012
Director General of the National Centre for Technological Management, Dr. Willie Siyanbola, has disclosed that unless both government and private sectors generate over 2.5 million jobs yearly, about 60 per cent of Nigerian graduates will remain unemployed.

Speaking at a stakeholders’ sensitisation workshop on ‘Entrepreneurial Attitudinal Status’ in Nigeria’s tertiary institutions at the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Siyanbola said about five million Nigerians are either not productively engaged or unemployed; a situation which he said was sad.

Commending the Federal Government and some state governments’ intervention programmes to reduce unemployment rate in the country, the DG stated that the effects of the programme would take some time to be noticed. According to him, the issue of job creation should not be left in the hand of the government alone; stressing that job creation was a business for all. - http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/-60-of-nigerian-graduates-are-unemployed-/130658/
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by oluasaolu: 3:06pm On Nov 15, 2012
our leaders need orientation. we are really in boundage here in nigeria. eyin oyinbo e fun mi ni visa

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Osama10(m): 3:16pm On Nov 15, 2012
It should be between 70/80%.

There is so much hunger outside.

3 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Fhemmmy: 3:17pm On Nov 15, 2012
Osama10: It should be between 70/80%.

There is so much hunger outside.

And yet the govt and the people wonders why there is so much crime in the nation
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Osama10(m): 3:19pm On Nov 15, 2012
^^^^^^^

Abi oh my brother.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Nobody: 3:19pm On Nov 15, 2012
olu asaolu: our leaders need orientation. we are really in boundage here in nigeria. eyin oyinbo e fun mi ni visa

It aint any different on the oyinbo's side too

5 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Nobody: 3:20pm On Nov 15, 2012
Hope-the worst part of it...lets continue hoping for change.i don't see Nigeria creating 2.5 million jobs yearly,with the rate we are "breathing in the Fresh Air"
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Orikinla(m): 3:22pm On Nov 15, 2012
Majority of them are unemployed, because they are too Lazy to read and think.

Here is an opportunity for unemployed graduates on https://www.nairaland.com/1059699/first-nollywood-outdoor-cinema-workshop.

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Fhemmmy: 3:25pm On Nov 15, 2012
Osama10: ^^^^^^^

Abi oh my brother.

I have said too many times, some of the problems in Nigeria are self afflicted while we dont need miracle to fix them . . .

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Fhemmmy: 3:26pm On Nov 15, 2012
Orikinla: Majority of them are unemployed, because they are too Lazy to read and think.

Here is an opportunity for unemployed graduates on https://www.nairaland.com/1059699/first-nollywood-outdoor-cinema-workshop.

Lot of them are lazy, while we have a society too that needs help . . . even if they are not lazy, where are the jobs?
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by slimming: 3:28pm On Nov 15, 2012
If the allowances been paid to politicians are reduced employment level will increase.

2 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by highlandre(m): 3:29pm On Nov 15, 2012
As much as I find this figure outrageous, I don't think the percentage is accurate. Hypothetically, I can say that about 92% of Nigerian graduates are without job, or doing what's best for an O'level holder. It's that bad!

3 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Fhemmmy: 3:31pm On Nov 15, 2012
highlandre: As much as I find this figure outrageous, I don't think the percentage is accurate. I can say hypothetically that about 92% of Nigerian graduates are without job, or doing what's best for an O Level holder.

Agreed!

2 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Teejayphillip(m): 3:32pm On Nov 15, 2012
60% is even small,90% ® jobless... Pple whu ® laid off 4rm diff sectors of d economy shuld b included alzo...

Itz nt as if most ® lazy,bur it all abt fear..Most pple nids encouragement 4rm pple around dem.. I alzo lost my job 2yrs ago,while wif Oceanic,bur due 2 d fact dat I ave a very gud backbone,I waz able 2 rise up again.. Not evryone as d best opportunity..

Btw,sum du create beta opportunities 4 demsef,y sum dnt ave d courage.. Letz pray 2 God 2 alwayz guid us tru.. Cos our country leaders will alwayz fite 4 dia pocket n mouth..

5 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by OkwaIfugo(m): 3:34pm On Nov 15, 2012
oohh God. how many times Nigeria.
its 80% not 60%.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Maximus85(m): 3:35pm On Nov 15, 2012
Its high time we stopped complaining and do something for ourselves. I used to be a jobless graduate but now I have a job, I created a job for myself. I'm making money from doing those things I enjoy doing. You can do the same.
Waiting on the government is a waste of time.
I've got lots of simple business Ideas that'll fetch you plenty money with little capital as low as N5000. Contact me: contact.mcbnig@gmail.com
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by eejo(m): 3:42pm On Nov 15, 2012
To me is 90 percent unemployment when graduate are cleaners in my office the situation is bad

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by everystep87(f): 3:45pm On Nov 15, 2012
Maximus85: Its high time we stopped complaining and do something for ourselves. I used to be a jobless graduate but now I have a job, I created a job for myself. I'm making money from doing those things I enjoy doing. You can do the same.
I've got lots of simple business Ideas that'll fetch you plenty money with little capital as low as N5000. Contact me: contact.mcbnig@gmail.com

Why must you be contacted? why cant you share is on this forum and help your brothers. Atleast nobody will take your business idea from you. SMH

11 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by krexpo(m): 3:46pm On Nov 15, 2012
Dat figure he gave is inaccurate! It is actually about 85-90% dat are unemployed! One thing is for sure, revolution!

3 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by cheddarking(m): 3:47pm On Nov 15, 2012
Another thing is....

Nigerians also need to stop studying stupid Mickey-mouse courses...

A lot of people go in to study Theology, Philosophy, Fishery, Public Admin, International Relations etc...

These courses are simply not relevant in Nigeria today..

A word to Nigerians: Consider your University Degree as an Investment Opportunity, A sound investment produces sound returns.

6 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Jamesmelbin(m): 4:00pm On Nov 15, 2012
Hmmm
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 15, 2012
No one has considered the fact that a good chunk of the "Unemployed Graduates" actually did poorly in school.

@cheddarking You've made a very remarkable point there.

3 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 15, 2012
[quote author=Orikinla]Majority of them are unemployed, because they are too Lazy to read and think.

Here is an opportunity for unemployed graduates on https://www.nairaland.com/1059699/first-nollywood-outdoor-cinema-workshop. Yes I agree. Some of them are just out there looking for office jobs and ignoring work such as teaching. There are so many privates schools out there that's needs peolpe lik them.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Nobody: 4:09pm On Nov 15, 2012
I thot its more than this na,well that figure is given to calm people's nerve. On the other side,its like 90%.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Mintus(m): 4:10pm On Nov 15, 2012
This is ntn lyk unemployment in nigeria.To me unemployment is inability 2 tink...60% of nigeria graduates cnt tink....tink ...tink..tink....simple [color=#990000][/color]
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 15, 2012
We have over three refinaries just sittin there. I am told by those who work in PHRC that if it is working at it's optimum, it can provide 2000 jobs directly and more than 8000 indirectly and one begins to wonder why our government won't invest in these facilities that can help us solve 1/5 of the challenges we are having today. It's so sad.

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by mkoabiola: 4:13pm On Nov 15, 2012
REVOLUTION is d solution
Until,ar all dese bad leaders ar killed.
If not d rich ar getting richer,poor ar getting poorer.
Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by occam(m): 4:14pm On Nov 15, 2012
Orikinla: Majority of them are unemployed, because they are too Lazy to read and think.

You are the lazy bum to think so lowly of the unemployed.

People want real jobs in engineering, technology, nursing, teaching etc. Jobs that uplifts individuals while contributing to the development of our nation.

The opportunity you mentioned here is garbage and a scam. Luring people to fake seminars and asking them to part with N25,000.

5 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by bayulll01(m): 4:15pm On Nov 15, 2012

u are either stupiid or dumb for that ur pathetic comment

3 Likes

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by isleman(m): 4:19pm On Nov 15, 2012
Its a pity but the real question is are they employable? I was a member of a team that interviewed some set of graduates a year ago and a graduate was telling she is from Abeokuta state. She didn't even know she was wrong because she said it over again severally. Out of about 200 applications i went through only 42 could write a sound C.V and i could only recommend 12 satisfactorily. it was an easy interview for me as they failed woefully.

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by isleman(m): 4:23pm On Nov 15, 2012
in reality, a degree these days might not be enough to get a job, you might need to be certified in your field to be ahead of others. everybody has a degree now, including part-time degree and satellite campus degree and so on. so degree is pure water these days.

1 Like

Re: ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ by bayulll01(m): 4:25pm On Nov 15, 2012
Maximus85: Its high time we stopped complaining and do something for ourselves. I used to be a jobless graduate but now I have a job, I created a job for myself. I'm making money from doing those things I enjoy doing. You can do the same.
oga open a thread on that ur pathetic job or stf scammer,some people are daft so a chemical engineer should go and start fish farming ur goverment is wicked revolution best answer kill them all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pure Gold Logistics Synergy Ltd Invite, Please Who Know This Company Well!!!!!! / 3 Important Things To Do Before Accepting A Job Offer / We Don’t Owe N-power Participants Salaries –osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.