Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,425 members, 7,808,520 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD (2154 Views)

Blogging Has Paid Off!!! Popular Blogger,ogudu Clement,acquires A Brand New Ride / How I Bought A Domain Name For $10 And Resold It At $550 / Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook.com For $10,000 USD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by jakeadebayo: 8:52pm On Nov 15, 2012
Ladies And Gentlemen book (LAGbook) yesterday acquired the top-level domain name Naijabook [dot] com for $10,000 USD from an undisclosed owner residing in the United Kingdom.

Yesterday, Africa's largest and fastest growing social networking website LAGbook acquired the top-level domain name Naijabook [dot] com from its owner who chooses to remain undisclosed. The domain name was purchased at $10,000 USD from its owner who resides in the United Kingdom.

"When LAGbook expanded to the Nigerian population three months after inception, we wanted to purchase the domain name Naijabook [dot] com and rename our social network, but at that time, we had little money to get it done. So we stuck with our name LAGbook, and rebranded to emphasise the capitalisation of the 'LAG', which means 'Ladies And Gentlemen'", says Chika Nwaogu, co-founder of LAGbook.

Chika continued, "Though we have purchased the domain name yesterday, we do not intend to change our name what-so-ever, and this is because of two reasons. One; we are no longer a Nigerian phenomenon; we are a global one with strong and rising international penetration especially in India, United States, Germany, Denmark, and the United Kingdom. Two; we have gotten appreciably popular with the name LAGbook, and we think it's going to be super uncool to change name now".

"Naijabook [dot] com is not the only domain name that takes our fancy. We hope to purchase in the nearest future domain names like Africabook [dot] com, Datebook [dot] com and Socialbook [dot] com", says Chidi Nwaogu, Co-CEO at LAGbook.

Chidi continued, "We do not intend to build sites on these domain names once purchased. Just like we did with Naijabook [dot] com, we intend to buy them, and forward them to LAGbook [dot] com; this means users visiting Naijabook [dot] com will be simply redirected to the LAGbook social network".

"Purchasing the Naijabook [dot] com domain for $10,000 USD is a great financial decision. When I was appointed LAGbook's Chief Financial Officer in August 2011, LAGbook was much of a Nigerian thing, and I was aware of the fact that Chidi and Chika wanted to purchase the domain name Naijabook [dot] com but were unable due to insufficient funds. Naijabook [dot] com is a top-level domain; a domain name many Nigerian-born social networks will die to have in their possession. So, I think it will do us a whole lot of good if this domain doesn't go into any other hands for a very long time", says Josh Osemwegie, CFO at LAGbook.

"Top-level domains already have a significant amount of traffic to them, so acquiring the domain name Naijabook [dot] com will top-up our publicity", says Nosa Ilegbinehi, Chief Publicity Officer at LAGbook.

In just 2 years, LAGbook has become Africa's largest and fastest growing social networking website with over 600,000 registered users and 6,000 daily new-signups.
Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by DualCore1: 1:16am On Nov 16, 2012
Why do people think its idiots that operate in this section?
Why must every trash be hoped to thrive here?

From the silly thread about the Nigerian guy that has done a concept-less and incomplete "logo advert" site to this yet another very silly story of a rediculous purchase.

Please why? Tell us...do we post like idiots and silly people here? Why is our IQ judged so low?

WHOIS record for lagbook.com
Domain Name: lagbook.com
Registered at http://www.dynadot.com

Registrant:
LAGbook Inc.
Chidi and Chika Nwaogu
P.O. Box 1337
Record expires on 2013/04/25 UTC
Record created on 2010/04/25 UTC

Domain servers in listed order:
ns1.dynadot.com
ns2.dynadot.com

WHOIS record for naijabook.com
Registrant:
LAGbook Inc.
Chidi and Chika Nwaogu
P.O.Box 1337
Festac Town, Lagos 1337
Nigeria

Record expires on 2013/11/14 UTC
Record created on 2012/11/14 UTC

ns1.dynadot.com
ns2.dynadot.com

This said domain said to be purchased for 10k USD by lagbook was registered 2 days ago by the same owner of lagbook.com.

A useless and senseless name like naijabook.com cannot appreciate to 10k USD in 2 days. (Assuming this was not even registered by the owner).

A domain cannot be transferred to a different registrar within 3 months of its registration (assuming this fool wants to say the domain was bought and then transfered to his registrar after the 10k usd purchase).

Registrar-registrar transfer of a domain takes nothing less than 5 days from date of request. (So how can you buy over a domain that's 2 days old from another person?)

All these lies for what? Attention?

The next time you want to fool people, meet any of your less foolish friends and let them do a dry run on your foolish idea before coming out to commit site suicide.

6 Likes

Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by soloqy: 3:23am On Nov 16, 2012
Dual Core: Why do people think its idiots that operate in this section?

From the silly thread about the Nigerian guy that has done a concept-less and incomplete "logo advert" site to this yet another very silly story of a rediculous purchase.

Please why? Tell us...do we post like idiots and silly people here? Why is our IQ judged so low?

Registrant:
LAGbook Inc.
Chidi and Chika Nwaogu
P.O. Box 1337

ns1.dynadot.com
ns2.dynadot.com

Registrant:
LAGbook Inc.
Chidi and Chika Nwaogu
P.O.Box 1337
Festac Town, Lagos 1337
Nigeria

ns1.dynadot.com
ns2.dynadot.com

This said domain said to be purchased for 10k USD by lagbook was registered 2 days ago by the same owner of lagbook.com.

A useless and senseless name like naijabook.com cannot appreciate to 10k USD in 2 days. (Assuming this was not even registered by the owner).

A domain cannot be transferred to a different registrar within 3 months of its registration (assuming this fool wants to say the domain was bought and then transfered to his registrar after the 10k usd purchase).

Registrar-registrar transfer of a domain takes nothing less than 5 days from date of request. (So how can you buy over a domain that's 2 days old from another person?)

The next time you want to fool people, meet any of your less foolish friends and let them do a dry run on your foolish idea before coming out to commit site suicide.

Honestly, they irritate me a lot. Thinking its Idiots that are on Nairaland.
Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by yamakuza: 3:40am On Nov 16, 2012
thanks for the counter. was feeling happy for them when i read the title, thinking that some of our netpreneurs had finally come of age ... only to discover it was all false publicity
Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by jakeadebayo: 10:42am On Nov 16, 2012
Dual Core: Why do people think its idiots that operate in this section?

Registrant:
LAGbook Inc.
Chidi and Chika Nwaogu
P.O. Box 1337

ns1.dynadot.com
ns2.dynadot.com

Registrant:
LAGbook Inc.
Chidi and Chika Nwaogu
P.O.Box 1337
Festac Town, Lagos 1337
Nigeria

ns1.dynadot.com
ns2.dynadot.com

Foolishness, you never thought for a minute that buying the domain name may have never involved a transfer, but rather a bargain that the owner leaves the domain to expire right after they purchase it... Why do Nigerians always think they are smart when they are far from that
Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by DualCore1: 11:38am On Nov 16, 2012
Son, a domain's creation date will NEVER reset to a particular date if it was transfered.

Son, a domain's creation date shows the date it was registered at control price which is about 10 USD (as opposed to your silly 10k USD)

Son, NO human will have any continued ownership right over any domain once it has expired. So keep that BS story of the domain being sold after it was left to expire.

When a domain expires, it enters renewal period...if the owner refuses to renew it enters reactivation period...if the owner refuses to pay the reactivation fee to reactivate and renew, the domain is deleted and open to the public to register at control price and ONLY then are the domain details deleted. At no point in the expiry, renewal or reactivation periods will a domain's record be reset if an owner renews it. So save your BS for those in the politics section, they will bow to you there... not here.

You're just too foolish to know when to shut up so keep babbling, fools at the same level with you will take you seriously.

Fool ignored until yet another (expected) foolish stunt in the future.

5 Likes

Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by ogzille(m): 1:25pm On Nov 16, 2012
You are a very big liar! You cannot move ahead with lies... CHANGE! CHANGE!! STOP LYING angry

jakeadebayo: Ladies And Gentlemen book (LAGbook) yesterday acquired the top-level domain name Naijabook [dot] com for $10,000 USD from an undisclosed owner residing in the United Kingdom.

Yesterday, Africa's largest and fastest growing social networking website LAGbook acquired the top-level domain name Naijabook [dot] com from its owner who chooses to remain undisclosed. The domain name was purchased at $10,000 USD from its owner who resides in the United Kingdom.

"When LAGbook expanded to the Nigerian population three months after inception, we wanted to purchase the domain name Naijabook [dot] com and rename our social network, but at that time, we had little money to get it done. So we stuck with our name LAGbook, and rebranded to emphasise the capitalisation of the 'LAG', which means 'Ladies And Gentlemen'", says Chika Nwaogu, co-founder of LAGbook.

Chika continued, "Though we have purchased the domain name yesterday, we do not intend to change our name what-so-ever, and this is because of two reasons. One; we are no longer a Nigerian phenomenon; we are a global one with strong and rising international penetration especially in India, United States, Germany, Denmark, and the United Kingdom. Two; we have gotten appreciably popular with the name LAGbook, and we think it's going to be super uncool to change name now".

"Naijabook [dot] com is not the only domain name that takes our fancy. We hope to purchase in the nearest future domain names like Africabook [dot] com, Datebook [dot] com and Socialbook [dot] com", says Chidi Nwaogu, Co-CEO at LAGbook.

Chidi continued, "We do not intend to build sites on these domain names once purchased. Just like we did with Naijabook [dot] com, we intend to buy them, and forward them to LAGbook [dot] com; this means users visiting Naijabook [dot] com will be simply redirected to the LAGbook social network".

"Purchasing the Naijabook [dot] com domain for $10,000 USD is a great financial decision. When I was appointed LAGbook's Chief Financial Officer in August 2011, LAGbook was much of a Nigerian thing, and I was aware of the fact that Chidi and Chika wanted to purchase the domain name Naijabook [dot] com but were unable due to insufficient funds. Naijabook [dot] com is a top-level domain; a domain name many Nigerian-born social networks will die to have in their possession. So, I think it will do us a whole lot of good if this domain doesn't go into any other hands for a very long time", says Josh Osemwegie, CFO at LAGbook.

"Top-level domains already have a significant amount of traffic to them, so acquiring the domain name Naijabook [dot] com will top-up our publicity", says Nosa Ilegbinehi, Chief Publicity Officer at LAGbook.

In just 2 years, LAGbook has become Africa's largest and fastest growing social networking website with over 600,000 registered users and 6,000 daily new-signups.
Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 16, 2012
jakeadebayo:

Foolishness, you never thought for a minute that buying the domain name may have never involved a transfer, but rather a bargain that the owner leaves the domain to expire right after they purchase it... Why do Nigerians always think they are smart when they are far from that

ARE YOU FROM THIS EARTH?
Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by jakeadebayo: 1:54pm On Nov 16, 2012
Dual Core: Son, a domain's creation date will NEVER reset to a particular date if it was transfered.

Son, a domain's creation date shows the date it was registered at control price which is about 10 USD (as opposed to your silly 10k USD)

Son, NO human will have any continued ownership right over any domain once it has expired. So keep that BS story of the domain being sold after it was left to expire.

When a domain expires, it enters renewal period...if the owner refuses to renew it enters reactivation period...if the owner refuses to pay the reactivation fee to reactivate and renew, the domain is deleted and open to the public to register at control price and ONLY then are the domain details deleted. At no point in the expiry, renewal or reactivation periods will a domain's record be reset if an owner renews it. So save your BS for those in the politics section, they will bow to you there... not here.

You're just too foolish to know when to shut up so keep babbling, fools at the same level with you will take you seriously.

Fool ignored until yet another (expected) foolish stunt in the future.
I usually do not argue with nairaland users as most of them are not gainfully employed and waste their time on a forum on a working day when their mates are in the office making stuffs happen but I will let this one slide

You just said it all, after all said and done an expired domain will eventually go into the marketplace for purchase, and like I have said they will only pay the said amount to the owner and not to dynadot for leasing the domain for them by letting it expire so they can purchase it...so with this I think I am done....and pls guys stop the BEEFING!
Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by soloqy: 2:13pm On Nov 16, 2012
jakeadebayo:
I usually do not argue with nairaland users as most of them are not gainfully employed and waste their time on a forum on a working day when their mates are in the office making stuffs happen but I will let this one slide

You just said it all, after all said and done an expired domain will eventually go into the marketplace for purchase, and like I have said they will only pay the said amount to the owner and not to dynadot for leasing the domain for them by letting it expire so they can purchase it...so with this I think I am done....and pls guys stop the BEEFING!

You think you can come in and bamboozle people who know better than you on the workings of the Internet with very stupid lies to promote a site that is not original. No one is beefing you. People are just pointing out your stupidity
Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by Slyr0x: 3:24pm On Nov 16, 2012
soloqy:

You think you can come in and bamboozle people who know better than you on the workings of the Internet with very stupid lies to promote a site that is not original. No one is beefing you. People are just pointing out your stupidity

LOL. .Was laughing when I read the headline.

Nonsense publicity stunt. .'cos we resemble M-U-M-U ba?
Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by Nobody: 4:26pm On Nov 16, 2012
also please also spend $10,000 USD for programmers to have a customer made script and stop using

http://grou.ps/home
Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by soloqy: 5:45pm On Nov 16, 2012
Slyr0x:

LOL. .Was laughing when I read the headline.

Nonsense publicity stunt. .'cos we resemble M-U-M-U ba?

grin No mind am. Naijabook?? lol..
Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by ogzille(m): 6:29pm On Nov 16, 2012
Naijabook my bumbum grin
Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by Nobody: 6:44pm On Nov 16, 2012
first off, there are better 4 letter name on for sale for less than $5000
even naija.com will sell for as low as $2000
$10,000 dollars is enough to make lagbook compete with nairaland if spent wisely.

2 Likes

Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by yamakuza: 11:25pm On Nov 16, 2012
jakeadebayo:

it appears you are not aware that you are eroding the online reputation of your company?

with the way you are going about things, it will be very hard for people, both on and offline, to take news from/about your company very serious in future.

you might not understand the full implications of your actions until you walk into a Dragon's Den in future and this thread is used against you.

cheers !
Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by utimatedes(m): 8:49am On Nov 17, 2012
jakeadebayo:

This is a very poor way of marketing. I believe you are one of the guys that bastardized SDE with those poor HYPE and products that doesn't make sense.

Honestly speaking, this won't work for you. You can do this else way and get away with it, but in this section, you have people to counter you.

Dual Core I give you respect and for finding time to check on this and counter it.
Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by 222Martins(m): 8:10pm On Nov 17, 2012
$10,000 for NaijaBook.com......Please where is the brand essence? I can't seem to pinpoint any value attached to the domain name; with respect to popularity and backlinks.
Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by miqos02(m): 8:09am On Nov 18, 2012
@op u should have posted this in the jokes section

1 Like

Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by DualCore1: 8:46am On Nov 18, 2012
jakeadebayo:

I said I was going to ignore you until yet another stupid stunt of yours and you have pulled it pretty fast.

Son, when a domain enters the market place it is available for anyone to register at the control price of .com TLDs at nothing less thatn 15 USD per year so still shove this 10k USD BS off your... you know where.

You say I just said it all? Really? Am I not the one that's not gainfully employed? How come you have agreed you are foolish?
Na true you talk o, I am not gainfully employed... I hire people who are gainfully employed, telling me about employment gives me chills...what a downgrade... so really I am at the top of that chain you are climbing up to...catch me if you can... you will need lots of prayers to catch me with this level of foolishness your employers are making you pull.

I have brokered and sold over a hundred domains in the past 4 years and your whole 10K USD BS for naijabook.com will not fly...it will crash another DANA plane.

All your bosses possibly did to Naijabook.com to get it was to backorder the domain for nothing less than 100 USD (16,000 Naira) and immediately it expired on the then owner of it on Dynadot it was registered again and given to lagbook. After that, your bosses pushed you to Nairaland to come and mumu small and take the bullets for them. Hope this is part of the terms of your gainful employment.

A key factor for a domains cost is its age as seen in its present WHOIS record. Naijabook.com is less than a week old so please save us the laughs.

Don't be deceived, let your money work for you... send me your CV. All this red energy you have can be converted to green eco-friendly energy.

2 Likes

Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by Cherish100(f): 4:41am On Nov 20, 2012
I will open a website tomorrow Nigerianbook.com . Please come and buy it for N10,000 only, just N10,000. USD$10,000 too much. I can even open more: 9jabook.com, giantofafricabook.com and wazobiabook.com . Come and buy them all abeg. Buy 2 and get 1 free grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lagbook Acquires Top-level Domain Name Naijabook [dot] Com For $10,000 USD by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 20, 2012
Cherish100: I will open a website tomorrow Nigerianbook.com . Please come and buy it for N10,000 only, just N10,000. USD$10,000 too much. I can even open more: 9jabook.com, giantofafricabook.com and wazobiabook.com . Come and buy them all abeg. Buy 2 and get 1 free grin grin

grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between Direct Marketing And Branding? / Suggest A Free Or Premium Themeforest Wordpress Theme For Music Blog / Run Advert On My 1.5million FB Group Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.