Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,709 members, 7,802,144 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:48 AM

Can I Replace Manual Gearbox Wt Automatic Gearbox On Benz 230E? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can I Replace Manual Gearbox Wt Automatic Gearbox On Benz 230E? (5631 Views)

Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here / Automatic Gearbox Problems / ATF For Benz 230e (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Replace Manual Gearbox Wt Automatic Gearbox On Benz 230E? by Chuksyno(m): 1:32pm On Nov 16, 2012
Hello gentlemen of Nairaland. A close friend of mine dashed me mercedes Benz 230E manual drive before his departure abroad bt I've never handled manual car b4 and I have low interest on manual drive cars and I dnt want 2 sell it. Pls how possible is my plan?
Re: Can I Replace Manual Gearbox Wt Automatic Gearbox On Benz 230E? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 16, 2012
Chuksyno: Hello gentlemen of Nairaland. A close friend of mine dashed me mercedes Benz 230E manual drive before his departure abroad bt I've never handled manual car b4 and I have low interest on manual drive cars and I dnt want 2 sell it. Pls how possible is my plan?

I would advice you either get to grips with a manual, or sell the car, then buy an automatic.

Conversions are usually done the other way - from auto to manual. You're simply replacing the automatic with a manual, removing the TCU and associated wiring. Going from manual to auto will be expensive, not to talk of unreliable. You'll need:

* Automatic transmission.
* Propshaft for automatic.
* Selector linkage for automatic.
* TCU and associated wiring harness.
* Engine ECU for automatic.
* Torque converter.
* Flexi plate.
* Oil cooler and pipework for automatic.
* Gearbox mounts for automatic.
* Starter motor for automatic.

It's also worth mentioning, the transmission tunnel on an automatic is much larger than that of a manual. The automatic is wider, so your "mechanic" will most likely bash the crap out of your tunnel to allow the wider tranny to fit.

A pointless, expensive excercise.
Re: Can I Replace Manual Gearbox Wt Automatic Gearbox On Benz 230E? by Nobody: 6:18am On Nov 17, 2012
For once siena you might be wrong, it might be expensive and tedious in the UK but in Nigeria, converting manual Benz to automatic is done daily and it's not as expensive. (Benz only, don't know about other vehicles)
Re: Can I Replace Manual Gearbox Wt Automatic Gearbox On Benz 230E? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 17, 2012
k2wise: For once siena you might be wrong, it might be expensive and tedious in the UK but in Nigeria, converting manual Benz to automatic is done daily and it's not as expensive. (Benz only, don't know about other vehicles)

Bro, I'm not wrong. If it's done PROPERLY, it will be expensive. By properly, I mean no cutting and welding bits and pieces here and there, bypassing ECU and TCU etc. It's not a small job. There's no point seeing a job as cheap, if things don't function as they should.

And I'm glad you used the word "might." wink
Re: Can I Replace Manual Gearbox Wt Automatic Gearbox On Benz 230E? by Chuksyno(m): 11:59pm On Nov 17, 2012
@ siena, much to my appreciation and gratitutes 4 making out time on lenghty advice. That was actually wht a mechanic told me, that automatic can be converted to manual easily than d other way round bt I cudnt believe him. Thanks so much.

(1) (Reply)

2013 Camry Versus 2013 Honda Accord / Cost Of Maintenace Of Mercedes C Class 230 Compressor 2003 Model / C

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.