Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,627 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:29 PM

Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? (5367 Views)

How To Start Your Company With N10,000 Or More And Earn 5 Figure Earning Monthly / Great Job Choices For Women For 2013 / Pls Can I Work In Telecom Or Oil Company With Bsc In Mathematics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by ektbear: 5:04am On Nov 18, 2012
I'm currently looking for jobs a bit in anticipation of graduating soon. The first offer I've gotten so far from a company (let's call them Company A) with a brand that was on the decline for some of the 2000s and actually hasn't fully recovered popularity-wise (though the company is strong financially).

In particular, the first comment I've gotten from two non-tech savvy friends I have is, "Oh, Company A is still around?"

Which isn't very pleasant.

However, the position at Company A is a GREAT fit. The work I like doing, not excessively stressful work environment, great hours, competitive salary, and close to where I already live (so no issue of moving very far away to a strange city and having to build your friends network all over again).

To me, the no brainer thing to do is to view the job offer highly.

But I'm already a huge snob when it comes to brands. And the comments of these friends of mine doesn't make me feel better about it.

Obviously, I might be in the position where this is the only or by far best offer I get..in which case I won't have any other options.

But assuming that I get at least one other offer, would it be stvpid of me to not accept Company A's offer just because their brand equity doesn't yet match their finances?

I mean, it seems like it would be pretty dumb for me to move to Chicago, earning the same amount of money in a place I like less than where I currently live just because I'm a brand snob.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 18, 2012
ekt_bear: I'm currently looking for jobs a bit in anticipation of graduating soon. The first offer I've gotten so far from a company (let's call them Company A) with a brand that was on the decline for some of the 2000s and actually hasn't fully recovered popularity-wise (though the company is strong financially).

In particular, the first comment I've gotten from two non-tech savvy friends I have is, "Oh, Company A is still around?"

Which isn't very pleasant.

However, the position at Company A is a GREAT fit. The work I like doing, not excessively stressful work environment, great hours, competitive salary, and close to where I already live (so no issue of moving very far away to a strange city and having to build your friends network all over again).

But I'm already a huge snob when it comes to brands. And the comments of these friends of mine doesn't make me feel better about it.

Obviously, I might be in the position where this is the only or by far best offer I get..in which case I won't have any other options.

But assuming that I get at least one other offer, would it be stvpid of me to not accept Company A's offer just because their brand equity doesn't yet match their finances?

I mean, it seems like it would be pretty dumb for me to move to Chicago, earning the same amount of money in a place I like less than where I currently live just because I'm a brand snob.

not so long ago, apple was a "company A". where do you think company a may be 10 years from now?

besides is it not money you are looking for?

in nigeria there are a lot of hidden companies that pay well.

4 Likes

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Sammy107d(m): 10:05am On Nov 18, 2012
I'm also a sucker for brand and I'll think twice before accepting an offer from 'AOL.' In the absence of a Google offer though, AOL is a pretty good starting point. At this stage of your career, I'd rank brand really close to job description, and well over salary, hours and location.

2 Likes

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 18, 2012
ekt_bear:

If I was you i ll comfortably choose Company A. Do you consider the brand name to be more important than all these advantages put together? If the company is still doing well financially, is not implied in something u think unethical, and provide you with opportunities to develop faster professionally,forget the brand, after all u can't have everything u want, #lifeisatradeoff.
Try to reverse the situation with Company B: high brand, lower wage with unfavorable location and work environment, what will u choose? Also keep in mind that like A, B might not stay popular forever.
Anyway if you believe to have academic and professional assets that put you in the position to choose the company u would like to work for (and not the other way around), follow your heart u might find something better than A.

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by birdman(m): 6:38am On Nov 19, 2012
ekt_bear:

Have you tried comparing both on glassdoor? That is a good start. You want to check what other people have to say about the company, if possible. The reason is, brand names, along with "best place to work" rankings have more to do with marketing and HR savvy, and usually do not reflect actual working conditions. There are lots of "cool" brand companies that are absolute sh**holes to work in and this could be a killer for your career.

In short: Pray about it and go with what gives you the most peace. From your post, it looks like company A. Forget about all that cool stuff - its a mirage and you wont care a decade from now.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Sammy107d(m): 7:57am On Nov 19, 2012
My point is that you're unlikely to last more than a year on your first job. Consequently, your primary thinking should be how you'll be positioned for your next job. Think long-term. Entry-level pay cannot diverge that radically. You're young, and location should be a non-issue. Long-term bro. A 6month stint as 'debugger' (whatever that is) at Facebook Inc. on your cv will position you better than a year as an 'Interface developer' at freakin' Myspace inc. What's your business with financial position. Leave that for wall street analysts.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by birdman(m): 8:23am On Nov 19, 2012
Sammy107_d: My point is that you're unlikely to last more than a year on your first job. Consequently, your primary thinking should be how you'll be positioned for your next job. Think long-term. Entry-level pay cannot diverge that radically. You're young, and location should be a non-issue. Long-term bro. A 6month stint as 'debugger' (whatever that is) at Facebook Inc. on your cv will position you better than a year as an 'Interface developer' at freakin' Myspace inc. What's your business with financial position. Leave that for wall street analysts.

Lasting less than 1 year at your first job is a red flag to employers. You should generally plan to be in one spot for about 3 years. Anyhow, I think ekt is pretty young, so he can afford one or two early career hits grin
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Sammy107d(m): 9:09am On Nov 19, 2012
birdman:

Lasting less than 1 year at your first job is a red flag to employers. You should generally plan to be in one spot for about 3 years. Anyhow, I think ekt is pretty young, so he can afford one or two early career hits grin

Not at the very beginning of your career. Most fast-paced youngsters spend the first 18 months of their careers diversifying their experience, and employers don't look down on that. If your 10 years of experience constitute 10 different year-long jobs though, that's a major red-flag. My opinion is that 0.5yrs Facebook + 1.5years Google + 3years Amazon + 5 years Yahoo is a richer career than 3yrs AOL + 7yrs Hotmail or 10yrs Ebay. My assumption is that it's easier to move from Facebook to Google than from AOL to Google...

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by AjanleKoko: 9:59am On Nov 19, 2012
@ekt_bear,

Is Company A AOL by any chance?

Anyway, as per topic, it depends on what you want to do ultimately.
It's always good to start with a company that gives you less pressure to perform. That way you can be comfortable while scanning the market, and seeing what's out there. But you should apply to a number of companies, and not be in too much hurry to decide.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by obowunmi(m): 10:48am On Nov 19, 2012
Good fit or good brand name - I'd pick good fit any day. The most important question anyone should ask when making a career choice is: Is this a good fit for me, my personality, my work style?

And not I know its not a good fit, but its a good brand name. You will set yourself up for unhappiness and career failure. Btw, who cares what your friends think?

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by obowunmi(m): 10:50am On Nov 19, 2012
Another option is to find a company that can give you both. So you might want to wait and keep applying for work.

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by obowunmi(m): 11:17am On Nov 19, 2012
I run my own business and in the early start-up days, I wouldn't want someone to call my company "uncool" if you already have this thought in your head - its best not to come. Its good to work for a company that you are proud of and feel highly about.

At all cost, I want to retain and keep talent - and not hire someone who perceives the company as "uncool" - if you have such perception, you might not perform or be hired and start looking for anothr job. Seriously though who cares what your friends think.

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Sammy107d(m): 1:51pm On Nov 19, 2012
Not really about what his friends think. My comments are premised on the assumption that he has offers from 2 companies. One cool, the other less than cool. Also, I'm not suggesting that a programmer by nature should work as a public relations staff or something. Two offers based on this sample background: He lives in Chicago, graduate of Finance, loves investment banking.

Offer 1: Lehman Brothers (At the center of financial crises; presumed dead, but good financial position) for the role an Investment Analyst. $60,000 salary. Chicago head office. Slow-paced. 8am-5pm

Offer 2: Goldman Sachs; To work with Corporate Finance. $50,000. Wall Street, New York. Fast-paced pressure. Work hours as many as needed. Possibly frustrating.

I'd say, hoping right out of college, stability, pay, location and comfort shouldn't be the determining factors. I'd go for Offer 2 simply because it's Goldman Sachs, it's in Wall Street, and still within my field. Also because it's cool and I can more easily get into JP Morgan or HBS after.

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by DaWhiz: 2:37pm On Nov 19, 2012
[size=14pt]Who gives a fvck abt d company's brand?! Companies re-brand always. It's all about being a problem solver and finding fulfilment in what you do.
Go for a job you love, not a job you'd endure. Shikena.
[/size]
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by ayobase(m): 2:38pm On Nov 19, 2012
No problem, once they pay well, and you are ready to contribute your quota to the development and success of the company....no biggie!
Just make sure you are active and excellent!
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Nov 19, 2012
one of the reason why some dont get jobs is that they look at the money and the present status of the company and that is why they can not work in BIG companies because you can only get the experience needed for a BIG job from a small company you have worked for in the past.

EXPERIENCE MATTERS MOST

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by obowunmi(m): 2:40pm On Nov 19, 2012
Who makes a comparison between Goldman Sachs and Lehman...lol

But no comparison. Thanks!
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by 2sexy(m): 2:43pm On Nov 19, 2012
Una own good ooo.

Here in Naija does one even have such a chance? Well for me, I would be looking for where to garner more experience. At this stage of my life, experience is much more important to me than pay...
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by markus1133: 2:43pm On Nov 19, 2012
money counts not the brand
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Chedarking: 2:46pm On Nov 19, 2012
Is 'Company A' IBM?

That said, Ekt you're still a student?!!! shocked shocked

With the amount of time you spend trawling this board, I'm surprised you have time to study at all...

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Sammy107d(m): 2:48pm On Nov 19, 2012
obowunmi: Who makes a comparison between Goldman Sachs and Lehman...lol

But no comparison. Thanks!

Exactly. Simply mentioning the company names will put the discussion to rest. Think long-term. That's what I always say. If it's a Lehman Brothers, then the brand bloody matters for someone with a choice! They probably know that too, hence the really good pay and work hours to attract talent.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by dilbert100: 2:48pm On Nov 19, 2012
sure.....work is work....money is money..... you can always lie to people where you work !!!
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by OkwaIfugo(m): 2:54pm On Nov 19, 2012
all they need to know is that you leave your house in the morning and come back during 4pm downwards. so no everyone cares where you work.

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by slimyem: 3:03pm On Nov 19, 2012
Chedarking: Is 'Company A' IBM?

With the amount of time you spend trawling this board, I'm surprised you have time to study at all...
I'm equally surprised....
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 19, 2012
well u can influence change in the company

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by sharpman1(m): 3:19pm On Nov 19, 2012
Three factors i usually consider when taking a job.....in order of priority.

1. The job role...i'e quality of work. Does it fit into my goal and aspirations. The job title is not relevant

2. The Name/Brand of the organization

3. The pay
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Telez(m): 3:38pm On Nov 19, 2012
no sir
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 19, 2012
Chedarking: Is 'Company A' IBM?

I won't be suprised if ektbear is a genius. That may be a reason why he could afford to combine his courseworks,exam,assignment,lab,projects e.t.c with Nairaland. I have a genius senior colleague that works with exxon Mobil as a geophysicist now, that dude can mime most of 2pacs song n never missed a show on campus.lol

1 Like

Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by buchibabe: 4:17pm On Nov 19, 2012
YES! If d pay is cool,y not?
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by Olaone1: 4:46pm On Nov 19, 2012
IBM?
AOL?

Eku will manage Talk Talk soon. Or Carphone Warehouse. Take it joo.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by mrperfect(m): 5:07pm On Nov 19, 2012
At early stage work to learn not money for future positioning.
Re: Great Job At A Company With An "Uncool" Brand? by manny4life(m): 7:23pm On Nov 19, 2012
What does it matter whether he's a student or not? Perhaps, he may decide to advance education

@topic, let your mind guide you, as for me, brand doesn't really matter. What matters is the experience, what do you bring to the table. You're still at a decent career status in life, you still have more than 20+ years experience to add on before you start talking about brand.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Best Prince2 Certification Training In Nigeria / What SHELL Internship Is All About / 7 Ways To Create A Friendly Work Environment (idris Olatunde Oluwaseyi)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.