Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,868 members, 7,802,799 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update (13248 Views)

2nd Niger Bridge Construction / Newly Constructed Mokola Fly-over In Ibadan For Opening Today (pictures) / Lekki - Ikoyi Link Bridge Construction Update - July 2010 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by abes(m): 9:30am On Nov 18, 2012
This is the current state of the bridge being constructed at the popular Mokola Roundabout in the city of Ibadan, Oyo state.

http://www.inspectnaija.com/mokola-roundabout/

4 Likes

Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by GARRIx7(m): 9:32am On Nov 18, 2012
OP can you pls post more pics??
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by Gbawe: 9:43am On Nov 18, 2012
Interesting news :

http://www.inspectnaija.com/mokola-roundabout/

Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update
BY ADMIN ON NOVEMBER 16, 2012 · ADD COMMENT
This is the current state of the bridge being constructed at the popular Mokola Roundabout in the city of Ibadan, Oyo state.

Following plans to commit N11 billion to the building of infrastructure, Oyo State government kick started efforts to remodel the city with the construction of two bridge projects.

Governor of Oyo State, Abiola Ajimobi in March disclosed that a total sum of N11 billion would be committed to the construction of roads, bridges and a fly-over across the state this year adding that his administration is commited to quality in terms of project execution accused the past administration of corruption in areas of projects and contracts.

According to Ajimobi the said sum would cover the construction of 57 roads, eight bridges and one fly-over at the popular Mokola Roundabout in Ibadan, the state capital.

Ajimobi, who expressed the regret that the Federal Government was yet to fulfill its promise to the state since the unfortunate flood disaster, called on President Goodluck Jonathan to come to the rescue of the state in the reconstruction of some of the bridges and roads affected by the flood.

“President Jonathan was here (in Ibadan) shortly after the flood during which he made a lot of promises, and he meant well but probably because of several commitments, he has not made good his promises. So, I am appealing to him and other well-meaning Nigerians to come to the aid of the state so that we can fix some of the roads and bridges, and thus prevent a re-occurrence of the disaster” he said.
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by Gbawe: 9:56am On Nov 18, 2012
http://tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/more-features/9130-ajimobi-the-bridge-builder-.html

Ajimobi: The bridge builder

Written by Festus Adedayo
Saturday, 17 November 2012

The Mokola, Ibadan, flyover under construction

In the realm of metaphor, Abiola Ajimobi, the current governor of Oyo State, is building political bridges that are strange to the politics and governance of the state. Before now, Oyo State was a hotbed of political intolerance. Totalitarianism, the one that was prominent in Stalin’s Russia, was the order of the day. Political office and perquisites were localised among loyalists and party faithful. Offices were held in totality and there was no space for the opposition.

Perhaps, because of his helicopter view of life and his exposure at the highest echelon of the corporate world, Ajimobi detests totalitarianism. Immediately he came into office, his first port of call was the homes of rival political parties. At the end of his consultations, he had harvested quality brains from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Accord Party (AP) and Action Alliance (AA) into his cabinet. For an Oyo State, which used to be governed by totalitarians, this bridge-building was a fresh and comely air.

Ajimobi’s metaphorical bridge-building is, however, a child’s play when compared to his literal role as a bridge builder. An unlucky fellow that he is, the ceaseless downpour of last year, especially that of August, 2011, was to expose the underbelly of his predecessors, depositing the pains of their inactions on his laps. Bridges that had been built for decades which were sparsely maintained, streams and canals to whom dredging was alien, began to give way and overfill their brims. As the ceaseless downpour pounded the ageing bridges, in ones and twos, the poor bridges began to give way aftermath the August 2011 flooding.

And the masses, who would not take ‘No’ for an answer, wept like the biblical Israelites in the wilderness. Not even the fact that rebuilding the bridges was not budgeted for in the year’s fiscal plan, nor that money available to government is not limitless. And to worsen it all, no help was coming into the coffers of Oyo State from anywhere in the firmament.

So, after mourning the losses, Ajimobi embraced the eternal Yoruba wise saying which counsels that a man’s palm is his closest ally that will not play him Judas. He, amid cascading sweats, began the process of reconstruction and picking the ruins of the dilapidation, one after the other.

The Secretariat/Bodija bridge in Ibadan is his first port of call. It had become notorious for over-spilling its contents at every little flood provocation, inconveniencing passers-by and at one time or the other, washing some victims into its bosom. Ajimobi immediately awarded the rebuilding of this massive bridge, which, but for the perennial flood that hampers its timely completion, would have been completed by now.

Many other bridges have received the Midas touch of a governor who has been nicknamed the bridge builder in Oyo State. The Ogbere Babanla bridge, for instance, during the August 2011 flooding, was reported to have guzzled a few victims like a notorious python. It gave way aftermath the fury of the flood. Ajimobi awarded the reconstruction of that bridge and right now, the people of the area have overcome the machination of the bridge or the water that flows underneath it which some spiritualists attributed to some infuriated gods at work.

So also for the Olomi, Ayeye and the Osoro River bridges. These bridges wreaked untold havocs on the people of their areas whenever it rained. Indeed, they had become sources of fear to the inhabitants. At present, the bridges have been reconstructed and have assuaged the fears of the inhabitants that the goddesses of the rivers were the ones whose non-pacification resulted in the periodic flooding.

The Alaadorin, Sakutu bridge in Oyo town, the Omowunmi-Olorunsogo bridge in Ibadan, the Simeon Adebo-Adeyi-Awolowo Road bridge and the Mokola-Cele-Baracks Junction bridge, among others, also got over-filled and were subsequently damaged by the flood, making life difficult for the people. These were bridges that had spanned decades and which gradual decay was not arrested over the years until their final collapse.

Perhaps, the greatest of Ajimobi’s bridge-building penchant is the Mokola flyover bridge. The stretch of road that leads from Challenge, through Ring Road, to Dugbe and through University of Ibadan to Ojoo road, is very strategic to commerce Ibadan.

It is the road that leads in and out of the Northern and Eastern parts of the country. Indeed, the road, at a conservative estimate, must be one of the most plied roads for traffic of merchandise and people. Because of the implosion in population, the Mokola axis, where four footpaths meet (apology to Ola Rotimi’s The gods are not to blame), witnessed heavy human and vehicular traffic. Governments came and went and no one had the sense of direction to halt the drift, until Ajimobi. The last time such a bridge was constructed in Oyo State was under General David Medayese Jemibewon, over 30 years ago.

Awarded to an international contractor of reputation for excellence, CCECC, that bridge is on the verge of completion, with workers working day and night. At completion, it will provide a Lagos-like feel-good feeling to the people of Oyo State, aside its ancillary role of easing traffic.

Adedayo is Special Adviser (Media) to the Oyo State governor.
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by Afam4eva(m): 11:52am On Nov 18, 2012
I noticed that the people that stay under and close to the bridge have also been sent packing. At least it will bring some sanity to that place.
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by fittty(m): 11:57am On Nov 18, 2012
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by deols(f): 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2012
I appreciate that it is so on time. On this one,Ajimobi truly kept to his promise. With this rate of development,I believe he'll achieve a lot.

1 Like

Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by SamAfrik(m): 12:33pm On Nov 18, 2012
Nice one Gov. Its really good to see infrastural devpt in my place of birth.
Ibadan d ancient city. The home of hospitality.

1 Like

Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by abimart4ever(m): 12:45pm On Nov 18, 2012
Bashorun/Akobo road needs to be dualise. The Chinco Engineers @Mokola bridge are too slow for d project to be completed by December.

1 Like

Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by onatisi(m): 1:04pm On Nov 18, 2012
i have not been to ib lately but i will like to know which route the flyover is ,is it the route to dugbe or sango?
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by bashydemy(m): 1:08pm On Nov 18, 2012
abimart4ever: Bashorun/Akobo road needs to be dualise. The Chinco Engineers @Mokola bridge are too slow for d project to be completed by December.
LOL you funny ooo If you say its too slow can you ask how long it take Obasanjo to construct the Bridge at Sango Otta Ogun State? It took him over 4 yrs and he dint even complete the project. Kudos to Ajimobi more greese to you my Able Governor of my state of origin.

2 Likes

Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by Realtol(m): 1:09pm On Nov 18, 2012
I thought he is the gov. of Oyo state never know he is Ibadan state gov cos all what I could see from this write up is only happening in Ibadan.
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by Blyss: 1:13pm On Nov 18, 2012
Ibadan look like crap.
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by bashydemy(m): 1:19pm On Nov 18, 2012
Realtol: I thought he is the gov. of Oyo state never know he is Ibadan state gov cos all what I could see from this write up is only happening in Ibadan.
and due to what you wrote up there Ibadan is in IMO state right?
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by bashydemy(m): 1:27pm On Nov 18, 2012
Blyss: Ibadan look like crap.
Sorry what state are you from Ewu

3 Likes

Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by rodeo0070(m): 1:32pm On Nov 18, 2012
Any reasons my Brother as to why you said that.
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by Gbawe: 1:33pm On Nov 18, 2012
deols: I appreciate that it is so on time. On this one,Ajimobi truly kept to his promise. With this rate of development,I believe he'll achieve a lot.

Yes. Slow start but that may be due to his technocratic background compelling him to be methodical and thorough instead of populist.

http://www.oyostate.gov.ng/oyo-to-procure-100-43-seater-mass-transit-buses/

Oyo to procure 100 43-seater mass transit buses

The Oyo State Government has approved arrangements for the procurement of 100 mass transit buses to ease transportation problem in the state at the cost of N1,744,800,000.
A statement issued in Ibadan on Thursday by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Media, Dr. Festus Adedayo, said that the vehicles are Daewoo-model 43-seater buses to be purchased from Korea.

He said that the 100 units of 43-seater buses’ – Daewoo BF-106 – sum included the cost of the project administration, spare parts and the stay of Korean expatriates in the country for one year.
The statement also said that the state government insisted on bringing the Korean expatriates to train the state technicians so as to increase the workers in the employment of the government’s technical know-how.
According to Adedayo, the buses would be supplied in three phases of 30, 30, 40, with the first batch arriving the state in November 2012.

He explained that the project would also include training, support, design, implementation and maintenance of the project, so as to enable the state derives maximum value from the mass transit project.
The governor’s spokesman said that a workshop would be constructed and maintained by the firm for one year during which technicians and engineers of the state-owned Trans City Transport Company (TCTC) would be trained on the handling and maintenance of the buses, while parts of the vehicles would also be supplied by the company.

Adedayo, who said that some of the technicians and engineers of the state government who would work on the vehicles would also be trained in Korea, added that the procurement of the buses was part of government’s comprehensive transport policy for the state.
He said that the other aspect of the policy would involve procurement of 18-seater mini-buses and taxi cabs aimed at removing some of the rickety vehicles currently being used for commercial purposes in the state.

1 Like

Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by Realtol(m): 1:38pm On Nov 18, 2012
Ibadan is truly part of Oyo state but it would hv bn better if the projects have been distributed accross yhe state and not only concentrated in Ibadan since all d ppl in other parts of the state voted for him too. Moreover that will amount to even development across the state.
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by Realtol(m): 1:44pm On Nov 18, 2012
bashy_demy: and due to what you wrote up there Ibadan is in IMO state right?
the ppl from other parts of Oyo state also voted for him. For that reason alone they deserved good things in their domains too that is what I am saying. In fact that would facilitate quick and even development if d projects are distributed across various parts of the state like Oyo. Ogbomosho, Iseyin, Ipapo, Saki etc. because these cities are not enjoying d dividend of democrary for which they assiduously and doggedsly worked for right now which I think they deserve to enjoy. Ajimobi should look into those cities and develop them too and stop being a bigotry who only cares for his own native town. Mind you some of these cities votes for Ajimobi are more than that of Ibadan in d last general election. Thank you!
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 18, 2012
I think gov ajimobi is underrated he's actually doing well but i think he is just not doing allthe flashy things like fashola does in lagos. Somebody pls tell him to start making the state flashy too. wink
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by obitwo: 2:32pm On Nov 18, 2012

Some people are just deranged

5 Likes

Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by checklots: 3:27pm On Nov 18, 2012
It is true that Ajimobi is the Governor of Oyo State as a whole not Ibadan. The last administration did not do much in Ibadan hence,the need to start in Ibadan. Moreso Ibadan is the Capital of Oyo State. Gov. Alao Akala concentrated on his area. Ajimobi should be commended for this great job. He should note that it is only his performance that will help him achieve any ambition he has on 2015. Even if he does not nurse any ambition,he will be respected for his achievements.
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by COMPAQ(m): 3:55pm On Nov 18, 2012
I hope the design was well thought through! Often times, poorly conceptualised projects like this can cause more hold up than there was before.The construction has taken too long though. It's been almost 2 years now for a simple flyover that's not more than 100meters or so.

Amaechi, I hope you are seeing. We need a similar solution at 1st/2nd Artillery and possibly GRA junction!!
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by markus1133: 3:57pm On Nov 18, 2012
thx for posting
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 18, 2012
Realtol: I thought he is the gov. of Oyo state never know he is Ibadan state gov cos all what I could see from this write up is only happening in Ibadan.
na wa for una o! If e no come do anything at all nko? What will you do?
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 18, 2012
COMPAQ: I hope the design was well thought through! Often times, poorly conceptualised projects like this can cause more hold up than there was before.The construction has taken too long though. It's been almost 2 years now for a simple flyover that's not more than 100meters or so.

Amaechi, I hope you are seeing. We need a similar solution at 1st/2nd Artillery and possibly GRA junction!!
The project is not more than a year. Not two years please.
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by Maxymilliano(m): 4:13pm On Nov 18, 2012
Gbawe I dey feel you here, and nice job by the governor but like a poster said, he should also extend the same feat to other areas of the State. This is the same thing the Ogun State governor is doing, constructing 6 lanes in Abeokuta, also building a bridge which is ongoing, and demolishing houses for further expansion and resident of other areas in the State are being left to their fate.

The Ilo-Awela road at the Toll gate area of Sango Ota that lead to my end is in serious state of decrepit, the governor has trekked the whole stretch of the road 4 times since he came to power, the last being 3 weeks ago, despite the series of assurance and re-assurance, nothing is being carried out.

Kudos to Ajimobi and nice one for the resident of Ibadan.
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by funshint(m): 4:19pm On Nov 18, 2012
COMPAQ: I hope the design was well thought through! Often times, poorly conceptualised projects like this can cause more hold up than there was before.The construction has taken too long though. It's been almost 2 years now for a simple flyover that's not more than 100meters or so.

Did I hear U̶̲̥̅̊ say 2years or 100metres? If U̶̲̥̅̊ guys don't know sumtin U̶̲̥̅̊ keep shut! More greese to 'ur elbow Ajimobi; U̶̲̥̅̊'re truly a technocrat. No be by rush-rush or gra-gra. He's really laying a strong foundation 4 massive infrastructural development in Oyo state. God bless U̶̲̥̅̊!
Re: Mokola Roundabout Bridge Construction – Update by richling77(m): 4:35pm On Nov 18, 2012
bashy_demy: Sorry what state are you from Ewu

Don't even ask where he's from, let's ask what he looks like. And am sure he has never stepped beyond thε shores of Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Government Accused Of Renting Protesters Against Amnesty International / Fact Check, G8 Debt Forgiveness 2005: Festus Keyamo Lied - Ikechukwu Obi / Peter Obi An Iconic Son Of Igboland - Gov. Ugwuanyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.