Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,384 members, 7,781,098 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:52 AM

Oil Workers Zone. - Career (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Oil Workers Zone. (165309 Views)

2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition / MTN, Etisalat And Glo: How They Pay Their Workers - www.NigerianBulletin.com / Oil Workers And Bankers Who Earns More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (64) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 11, 2013
Syenite:

Vivichocs, Toxicologists work in the Oil and Gas sector. You may need to reconstructed the bolded, though i understood the message.
tanx dear, correction done...buh asides, oil and gas, do u think d course is relevant in other fields?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Lovysola: 10:50pm On Aug 11, 2013
Pls can u guide me on how 2 get 2 oil company even if i wont 2 start by work 4 free.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by kasali4real(m): 12:56pm On Aug 19, 2013
Pls can the house give an advice on the role an INDUSTRIAL chemistry student play in the oil and gas multinationals. Advice on important certification dat can give an edge in terms of employment will b highly appreciated ( I already hv general safety cert).
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by dober(m): 12:19pm On Oct 02, 2013
Kudos to you all.
So informative!!
I am a Nurse, certified and licensed by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
Am yet to find a nurse here who works in the O and G.
Or are there no/ limited chances?.
If there are, pls
how can i start a career as a nurse in this sector.
Any help?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 02, 2013
I just wanted to ask the best place to do your HSE program which is most relevant to the petroleum Industry....
1. Nigerian .maritime academy...Oron
2. Nigerian institute of safety professionals
3. all other companies offering HSE certification opportunities...
you responses would be highly appreciated
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by bluuu: 10:34am On Oct 03, 2013
x-fire:

Hey! Sorry for the delay. I saw the mail you sent to me. I have been busy. Lemme respond to your query through this medium:
First of all, you didn't mention your class of degree, but it's not so relevant to the response I am about to give.
It depends on your career vision and where you see yourself in the oil industry. If you wanna go through the technical line ( I mean, being a technician/craftsman/operator) then certifications may help, especially if you are aiming to work in a international oil servicing company such as Halliburton, Schlumberger, baker Hughes, etc and even IOCs. But if you wanna work as an engineer, I dare say MSc is more relevant than certifications. Most engineers recruited into major IOCs have little or no certifications because engineers learn on the job. But more importantly, work experience in the oil and gas industry counts much more than Masters or certifications.
But I must say,having a masters or gathering certifications is NOT an end in itself. You must be able to prove yourself in aptitude tests and interviews. I, for instance, do not have a Masters degree. Neither do I have any significant certification. That is , you must be able to sell yourself, have good soft skills and be a go-getter. I know many people with only BSc without prior job experience working in the oil and gas industry. There is no one sure way of entering the O and G industry.
Well, with your experience as an instrument technician and a B.Eng in Electrical/Electronics, you may want to go further and have a Masters degree in Instrumentation and Electrical (especially if you have a 2.1). That will boost your qualifications.
I'm a student of petroleum engineering currently doin my I T in an oil producing coy.pls wat is the difference btw a 2.1 and first class holder's fate in getting a job in the industry. Also, i was thinking of getting certifications e.g rig safety and HSE after school instead of masters degree.should i go for my masters instead of certifications since i wish to work as an engineer?. also, can my 6 months I T play a good role in getting a job( i'v had lil experience on d rig,flow station and gas plant so far) as part of work experience?. others contribution will also b appreciated. tnks
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by scantee(m): 7:13am On Nov 06, 2013
dober: Kudos to you all.
So informative!!
I am a Nurse, certified and licensed by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
Am yet to find a nurse here who works in the O and G.
Or are there no/ limited chances?.
If there are, pls
how can i start a career as a nurse in this sector.
Any help?
A lots of Nurses works in the O and G company. if you can obtain Red cross Certificate. then you can just apply as a first Aider. there you can be fortunate to be selected among the contractors nurses to be trained by the Coy. from there your good to go. though the selection is mostly done base on your performances. if you can corroborate with your HSE officer to have a good audit on your daily work injury/accident report matrix and your able to meet the company target by having an injury free site. so I will advice you to start applying to the contractors first rather than the main company. have a nice day.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by scantee(m): 7:40am On Nov 06, 2013
Mister Dan: I just wanted to ask the best place to do your HSE program which is most relevant to the petroleum Industry....
1. Nigerian .maritime academy...Oron
2. Nigerian institute of safety professionals
3. all other companies offering HSE certification opportunities...
you responses would be highly appreciated
Try KARIMISCO. google it. I might have mis spelt the name. they are international certified.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 06, 2013
bluuu:
I'm a student of petroleum engineering currently doin my I T in an oil producing coy.pls wat is the difference btw a 2.1 and first class holder's fate in getting a job in the industry. Also, i was thinking of getting certifications e.g rig safety and HSE after school instead of masters degree.should i go for my masters instead of certifications since i wish to work as an engineer?. also, can my 6 months I T play a good role in getting a job( i'v had lil experience on d rig,flow station and gas plant so far) as part of work experience?. others contribution will also b appreciated. tnks
It's better to have a masters than to gather certifications, especially as a petroleum engineer. Certifications are highly overrated.
Yea, internship counts. Package your 6 months experience well. Sometimes, what makes the difference is how well you are able to market yourself.
1st class and 2.1? With any, you will always have chances to prove yourself. Don't bother about differences. Even with a first class, you will still need to prove yourself.
Cheers

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 06, 2013
Do they have hospitals in oil and gas establishments? i am eager to know
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by bluuu: 10:14pm On Nov 06, 2013
x-fire:

It's better to have a masters than to gather certifications, especially as a petroleum engineer. Certifications are highly overrated.
Yea, internship counts. Package your 6 months experience well. Sometimes, what makes the difference is how well you are able to market yourself.
1st class and 2.1? With any, you will always have chances to prove yourself. Don't bother about differences. Even with a first class, you will still need to prove yourself.
Cheers
tnx
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 12:19pm On Nov 07, 2013
having taken some O and G tests and interviews, i can boldly say you just have to be very very very good before you can secure a spot in the oil and gas sector. the sector is very very competitive... i dont think getting additional qualifications would give you an edge(i might be wrong), instead work experience especially directly in an oil and gas setup or any oil and gas related coy. the three ways of penetrating the sector are:
1. the man know man.
2. through trainee programs (u must have a good result 2.1 or upper credit, be smart enough to pass their very tricky and difficult tests and interviews)
3. getting in as an experience hire, which requires you to have a superb practical knowledge and a good number of years of experience.
everyone wants to work in an oil and gas firm, but the truth be told..... that sector has a little to do with that first class of yours. you've got to be extra smart.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by cheapgadgets6: 6:29pm On Nov 16, 2013
As an elect elect undergraduate,What skills can I acquire to boost my chances of getin into d oil n gas sector,I did my IT in a production coy under d maintenance dpt..do u advice I go 4ma masters(which option best fits in? Power or telecom?) Or get sm certificatns lik SHE,PMP,Autocad cs I av sm of ds in mind..tnx
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 9:21am On Nov 28, 2013
dirtymoney: having taken some O and G tests and interviews, i can boldly say you just have to be very very very good before you can secure a spot in the oil and gas sector. the sector is very very competitive... i dont think getting additional qualifications would give you an edge(i might be wrong), instead work experience especially directly in an oil and gas setup or any oil and gas related coy. the three ways of penetrating the sector are:
1. the man know man.
2. through trainee programs (u must have a good result 2.1 or upper credit, be smart enough to pass their very tricky and difficult tests and interviews)
3. getting in as an experience hire, which requires you to have a superb practical knowledge and a good number of years of experience.
everyone wants to work in an oil and gas firm, but the truth be told..... that sector has a little to do with that first class of yours. you've got to be extra smart.

I agree with you . As a graduate with a masters without experience it sometimes places you on the same level with a first degree only holder. The only situation it would give you an edge is when u are as smart as the other party. In a case where the other party is smarter than you are . It would be hard securing a position .
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 05, 2014
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by scantee(m): 7:21am On Aug 23, 2014
Sorry guyz for the delay, the crash on Nairaland server hinders a lot, those that registered on Shell students /career portal just drop ur Ref number here.

please only for those that registered before July 2014, only your ref number don't paste ur number or email address here because I don't need them.

Note only for those that followed up this thread at initial stage. Mkoabiola and co
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Mixty: 8:51am On Aug 23, 2014
scantee: Sorry guyz for the delay, the crash on Nairaland server hinders a lot, those that registered on Shell students /career portal just drop ur Ref number here.

please only for those that registered before July 2014, only your ref number don't paste ur number or email address here because I don't need them.

Note only for those that followed up this thread at initial stage. Mkoabiola and co
And why will you need anyone's ref number? Do you wanna promise them employment in Shell or what? Guys be wary of this folk.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by scantee(m): 9:11am On Aug 23, 2014
Mixty:
And why will you need anyone's ref number? Do you wanna promise them employment in Shell or what? Guys be wary of this folk.

Well I don't have time for such people like you. I am not an agent neither do I have work to give anybody ok, I guess ur having problem in comprehending simple things, all I asked is Ref numb not phone number or email, so tell me how do I intent to scam anybody?

I don't give my numbers/ email to anybody what am doing is on anonymous mood and I have the specific people I asked for Ref number ok.

so bro free yourself from bad thought everybody is not the same.

I have been on Nairaland for many years and have met hundreds of people here face to face from here check my date of registration so your free to enquire if I have ever asked anybody here for money or related.

have a nice day
thanks
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Mannylex(m): 10:11pm On Aug 23, 2014
scantee: Hello Guys! Lets share our exprience in our respective companies, the challanges we face, the good tidings of each companies and compare it with each. The main reasons i'm doing this here, is because i got loads of mail from Nairalanders, asking me to give them crew about all this companies concerning the post i made some time ago.

Here we go. I have worked in the following companies they have their good and their bad. (1) MOBIL (PH): here i jst worked as a contract staff so no much benefit or packages for me as being a contract staff.

(2) AgipsadBrass Island Bayelsa) I Worked as HSE Adviser here, left them many years back due to they don't pay their staff on time.

(3) NLNG, (Bonny Island R/State) one of the best. If not the best everybody would wish to work with, I worked as SAP Team member here, they have good tidings and good packages for their staff (not contractors staff) one of the good thing i like about them is, they allow their staff to make use of their hilux outside the company site unlike other coys,, to go with it and flex as much as u can without much limitations, they pay their staff every last friday of every month,

They often host party for their staff/ the host community last saturday of every month.

(4)SPDC (Bonny Island) Currently working here as Network/System Admin . Though they are good, but not like Shell we use to know before, since most directors now are naija made lol, and they more into contracting jobs unlike before, things has really changed. though they still pay well but not as it used to be , but their policy is not easy to maintain. The only advantage of working with them is their (Electronic ID) Which permits/gives u access to all the shell terminal nation wide and beyond, and it gives u access to eat in any of their (SPDC Canteen) and their ID enables you to have access to their internet service when you slot it in their customize keyboard. You wil as well enjoy what they call (HAPPY HOUR) is a party that comes up every last friday of the month.

You can sign in about (5) of ur friends using ur ID card, they will be offered free drinks and foods all night in the party. Top naija artists use to performing live during the party.

Omo come see chicks begging you to sign them in, u just dey form like...eh." but you don't dare go out with any Spdc hilux out of the terminal except on official duty, but i guess is due to the IVMS which monitors your speed limits, that might affect the audit during the monthly vehicles inspection audit.

Feel free to shares urs let's have fun of it ( sorry i'm typing through my phone so the text might lack formatting and lots of typooooo.
keep it rolling
. Hi man, you've done a good thing by creating this thread. I am a graduate of Computer Science currently in my service year and would love to know the possibility of me getting into the oil&gas sector... Even if itz based on contract. Can a computer scientist work offshore? What certification do I need ? Your response would be highly appreciated
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by scantee(m): 8:31am On Aug 24, 2014
Mannylex: . Hi man, you've done a good thing by creating this thread. I am a graduate of Computer Science currently in my service year and would love to know the possibility of me getting into the oil&gas sector... Even if itz based on contract. Can a computer scientist work offshore? What certification do I need ? Your response would be highly appreciated

your welcome bro, well I study computer science as well, though not working offshore, but if really you want to work offshore I think you should go through this thread again from page 1 am sure you will get to read where folks mentioned about marine related certification more especially HSE, Swimming certification, as an IT person you can as well do Fiber optic submarine cable connection training.

Base on contract staff you mentioned I wil advice you join sub-contractors company first to get the insight on how to go about being a contractor. but if you own a company already I can guide you through on how to register with SPDC and start bidding for contracts.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by ebixy(m): 11:41pm On Aug 26, 2014
scantee: Sorry guyz for the delay, the crash on Nairaland server hinders a lot, those that registered on Shell students /career portal just drop ur Ref number here.

please am having difficulty in accessing my reference number on the portal. Can't find where its located.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by graciousamy: 12:46am On Aug 27, 2014
You
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by scantee(m): 10:11am On Aug 27, 2014
ebixy: please am having difficulty in accessing my reference number on the portal. Can't find where its located.

I guess it supposed to be send to your email address after successful completion of your application, if you did not receive it, simple means your application is not successful, check your mail to comfirm.

have a nice day
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by doziej84: 12:01pm On Aug 27, 2014
@scantee, i wrote a shell test online last year, passed, but was never called for recruitment day. i think early this year, it went from pending to application rejected.

can you give me an analysis on what may be the issue here.

Also, is it still possible to apply again this yr and send you the reference number you're talking about.

thanks.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by scantee(m): 12:19pm On Aug 27, 2014
doziej84:
@scantee, i wrote a shell test online last year, passed, but was never called for recruitment day. i think early this year, it went from pending to application rejected.

can you give me an analysis on what may be the issue here.

Also, is it still possible to apply again this yr and send you the reference number you're talking about.

thanks.

check if the contents of your CV go against your assessment stage, E.g in your CV you claim to be this and that but in your assessment stage your answering different thing that does not tally with your CV.

your free to re-apply after one year, I don't think you need to send me your Ref number because I am not working with SPDC/Admin department, so I can't have any influence about it, people I asked for Ref have a different problem am only assisting them to sort out nothing more.

just apply and keep believing in God.

thanks
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Benedict44(m): 12:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by scantee(m): 3:22am On Sep 06, 2014
Benedict44: good day all. am Odinakachi and a 200L student of petroleum engr . am looking for where to do my IT (industrial training ) i will like to do it in a drilling company because i like drilling . odinakachiboniface@gmail.com . Thats my email . i will like you people to help your son. thanks

Where is your location? I mean the state your currently are?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by poiZon: 3:40pm On Sep 07, 2014
scantee: Try KARIMISCO. google it. I might have mis spelt the name. they are international certified.

bro good day, pls can mandatory be used inplace of HSE in oil n gas sector? ALso what s the fate of environmental scientist in oil n gas sector?
am a graduate of marine biology n hv certificates in oil n chemical tanker familiarizatn n also basic safety, can i apply in oil n gas sector with these? thnx for ur response.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by kingsmecca(m): 7:54pm On Sep 11, 2014
Hello guys, I'm a Gas Engineering student
currently in my final year, Pls I'm looking for a
good Project topic that I can excel. Pls those of us that have gone through this should assist me...both on topics and materials should keep it coming. Reasonable topics in oil nd gas sector (especially Pipeline related), I'll appreciate. Thank you. 08035800805.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by yorex2011: 10:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
Following this thread keenly...
Just graduated with a 2.1 in elect/elect engr.. Wat might be my best way to get into the oil and gas sector...
Shud i try graduate trainee,..or Get a masters from somewhere like IPS uniport... Or get some extra O&G related certifications?
I'm currently undergoing my youth service...
Tnx in advance
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by bollify(m): 10:37pm On Sep 11, 2014
Please Is it possible for a 2'2 graduate having a masters to apply for a job that requires minimum of 2'1?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 10:39pm On Sep 11, 2014
bollify: Please Is it possible for a 2'2 graduate having a masters to apply for a job that requires minimum of 2'1?
usually a tough one .... I ll advise u do more of networking especially if ur masters is foreign .... u may choose to go for some certifications.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (64) (Reply)

CBN Salary + Allowances - Who Actually Knows? / Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants / Nigerian Army Recruitment List Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.