Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,854 members, 7,802,738 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:24 PM

Oil Workers Zone. - Career (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Oil Workers Zone. (165940 Views)

2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition / MTN, Etisalat And Glo: How They Pay Their Workers - www.NigerianBulletin.com / Oil Workers And Bankers Who Earns More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (64) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by yorex2011: 9:36pm On Jan 21, 2016
IHate9ja1:
We were told schlumberger is
accepting resume @ ispon
today! Who can confirm this?

Schlumberger ke?
People that haven't called folks since last interview heldmid 2015..

Their applications usually on their site and is open all year round
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by ikoyila: 8:10am On Jan 22, 2016
IHate9ja1:
We were told schlumberger is accepting resume @ ispon today! Who can confirm this?
sweedie wer, aw, wen is it closin
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by logadims: 8:10am On Jan 22, 2016
IHate9ja1:
Happy birthday celebrations to scantee himself.
Where the party dey?
we need talk. Pls! How do i get in touch with you Via phone?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 11:11am On Jan 22, 2016
While our HSE training was on yesterday,a text message came in to our instructors phone. The said person was also asking for confirmation if such info was valid and this is why I brought it here if anyone heard of such.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Sunnystooth(m): 7:55pm On Jan 22, 2016
scantee:
Hello scantee, please i need your advice. I really want to work in a Oil or Gas Company but as i am now, i have little or no info on what to do or how to go about getting such Job. I am currently a serving corp member (NYSC). I graduated with a 2.1 (Hons). B. Eng Chemical Engineering. I did my Undergraduate Internship with NLNG. I have an interest in being a Process Engineer. But as it is right now, i have no idea or clue on the courses i should take now that i am serving to prepare me well for a carrier in the Oil and Gas sector. Also how to go about applying for Jobs, i'd like you to give me some tips i should follow and look out for while applying for Jobs. Thanks in anticipation of your reply.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 6:05pm On Feb 14, 2016
Hello?
Anybody home!
@ all make una send me val's gift oh.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by ksstroud: 9:16pm On Feb 14, 2016
IHate9ja1:
Hello?
Anybody home!
@ all make una send me val's gift oh.

Send yours first... grin
How's PH trip?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 9:34pm On Feb 14, 2016
ksstroud:

Send yours first... grin How's PH trip?
Didn't go,changed my mind.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by maangel01: 3:00am On Feb 17, 2016
hello great people, i just discovered this thread and i am very please with what our comrade "Scantee" is really doing. More power to your elbow. Let me also key into it Scantee, i have a first degree in Chemistry, an MSc in Process Engineering and an experience in Process control and safety systems (DCS and SIS). Would be glad if you can be of any assistance with any available opportunity.

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by lobell: 4:19pm On Feb 17, 2016
IHate9ja1:
Didn't go,changed my mind.
Why na? It was a lofty idea!
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 4:53pm On Feb 17, 2016
[quote author=lobell post=43007027]

Why na? It was a lofty idea![/quote
There is no one to push my Cv there,a lot of politics is involved. Its not an excuse though.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 7:41pm On Feb 17, 2016
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 4:19pm On Feb 18, 2016
Sunnystooth:

Hello scantee, please i need your advice. I really want to work in a Oil or Gas Company but as i am now, i have little or no info on what to do or how to go about getting such Job. I am currently a serving corp member (NYSC). I graduated with a 2.1 (Hons). B. Eng Chemical Engineering. I did my Undergraduate Internship with NLNG. I have an interest in being a Process Engineer. But as it is right now, i have no idea or clue on the courses i should take now that i am serving to prepare me well for a carrier in the Oil and Gas sector. Also how to go about applying for Jobs, i'd like you to give me some tips i should follow and look out for while applying for Jobs. Thanks in anticipation of your reply.

You have so far taken the right steps to becoming a process engineer. It is also important that your under graduate internship at NLNG involved activities related to process engineering. If not then it should at last have covered areas related to process engineering. E.g. process safety and loss prevention, asset integrity, instrumentation etc.

In the oil and gas industry you find process engineering/process engineers in the Oil Producing Companies (both local and international upstream players) , Petrochemical Companies (refineries, depots, gas treatment plants etc generally downstream), and Oil Servicing Companies.

Usually within the oil producing companies and down stream companies process engineering guys are found within within the following sections or units:

-Process Engineering/Facilities Operations: These guys are in charge of day to day running of the facilities. They monitor processes in the control room and work on the top sides/process modules. They are generally in production and ensure that production is taking place in the best of conditions and process parameters. In down stream segment like depots and refineries they also work in the control rooms and directly with equipment.

-Safety Engineering/HSE/Loss Prevention: They are involved in chemical process safety and loss prevention. They are involved in Chemical safety studies and PHA like HAZOPs, FMEAs etc..They are involved in shut-downs, asset integrity management, risk based inspections and studies, consequence modelling and mitigation/risk reduction measures etc. They use software like PHAST,SAFETI etc for consequence and loss modelling. Usually they are different from guys who do safety operations/administration which include activities like issuing work permits etc.

-Facilities Design/Projects and Research: These guys take part in the design of facilities. They are conversant design software like Hysis (of course it is the first one I will mention), ASPEN, and lots more..etc..etc..They provide solutions to design problems on reactors, heat exchangers, furnaces, mixers, pipes, and other materials of construction. etc etc etc.They work with contractors from serving companies on new project designs and studies.

-Servicing Companies: In servicing companies, it depends on the type of services. Some companies offer well intervention services, some offer personnel who assist with production management and control, some offer services in improved/Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR is mainly by Petroleum Engineers but I have seen process guys work here in some cases). While some servicing companies provide chemicals to boost production/ensure safer reactions and offer safe conditions etc based on research and development.

Now you can clearly see the industry, I hope. Please note that the names of units as presented here may vary from company to company but the functions are usually almost the same with varying scopes.

Since you already have a good start with your first degree, in the event you are not interested in your masters then the next thing is to do the following:

1.Pick an Area of Interest: Which aspect of Process Engineering interests you more? Which do you think you have a flare for? which do you think will suit the company or industry of interest?

2.Improve your self professionally: Tailor and improve your skill sets, register for courses, training, seminars etc. Learn new software and acquire more professional knowledge on process engineering,Process safety, process risk engineering, instrumentation, design, etc or any other areas you have chosen as your area of interest.

3.Improve your network: This is mainly about who you know -it matters a great deal. Not just about what you know. Attend conferences, workshops, etc meet people. Join associations if you can. Improve your contact list with positively influencing people.

4.Get busy one way or another even if you do not have a job yet. See the industry, look through, get busy and see what you also can offer in terms of services. No future employer wants to hear that for the past two years you have been doing nothing. You can also volunteer, work with consultants. Take a look at your lecturers...which of them are consultants?Try to see if you can assist them in their business and gain experience etc etc.

Sorry I had to hijack your question. I hope the other guys respond too with more information.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Sunnystooth(m): 6:52pm On Feb 18, 2016
AnakinSkywalker:

Thanks a lot for taking out time to respond to my question. The tips and advice you gave are really eye-opening to a novice/fresh graduate like me. I really appreciate it a lot.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Benedict44(m): 7:35am On Feb 19, 2016
i have been following this thread for a long time , although we are still in school .. Please i am looking for industrial training ( IT ) placement . Am in petroleum engineering . 400L . And the program will be starting by June . I would like to do it in any company relating to oil and gas . ...thanks
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by permanentgrace(m): 7:51am On Feb 20, 2016
Is there still hope for employment (for now) considering the dwindling oil prices?

National dailies reported of mass sacking looming in the industry due to the aforementioned factor.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 9:39am On Feb 20, 2016
permanentgrace:
Is there still hope for employment (for now) considering the dwindling oil prices?

National dailies reported of mass sacking looming in the industry due to the aforementioned factor.
The way it is now,am going to change course. The industry we all are trying to get into is already sacking,I heard of the haliburton protest few days ago.

Someone said this few days ago here on NL;
Are they no jobs in Port
Harcourt anymore?

"most jobs are internally
advertised and recruitment
done secretly.There many jobs
available in ph but HR of most
companies bring in their own
candidates and engage them in
various openings.is happening
where I am at the moment."
https://www.nairaland.com/1875632/follow-thread-portharcourt-jobs/38
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by caddylac(m): 12:18pm On Feb 21, 2016
I am here now Scantee... Hope you can link me up Sir?
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by yomishow(m): 10:31pm On Feb 21, 2016
Hello everybody in the house. I am a new person in the field. Please, I really need direction on how to plan my future. I studied Eng/Mus @ NCE level, but I decided to change my career to Safety Management in Oil and Gas. I have been studying various materials regarding this.
My life is like 'once beaten, twice shy', in order not to miss my step again, I need the urgent advice around.
What are the necessary steps to be taken. Someone told me to go for
1. HSE 1-3 at NISP,
2. Swimming course,
3. Rig safety course, and
4. NEBOSH IGC Oil and Gas.
Are these aforementioned in order or I should just forget about such ambition?
Please, no mincing word. Hit the nail on the head.
God bless you all.
Yomishow
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by yomishow(m): 10:33pm On Feb 21, 2016
@Scantee and fellow noble guys in the forum, please respond to my post.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by petengine(m): 1:45am On Feb 22, 2016
this is very helpful for I.T students
5 Ways to Easily Secure your I.T Placement:
http://www.eduansa.com/5-ways-to-easily-secure-your-siwes-placement/
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by chiboy429(m): 11:37am On Feb 22, 2016
IHate9ja1:

Thanks you boss for coming on board! I would need your input based on your experience,6 newly built nlng vessels has arrived 9ja and the construction of additional trains is imminent.
Now the NLNG newly built vessel would create @least 300 jobs,50 crew per vessel,while the upcoming construction of the new trains is expected to provide between 16000 to 18000 jobs.
Am planning to visit bonny again to update my profile,all things being equal by Gods grace I should have concluded my level 3 training @ ispon, today I have also contracted the service of Jarus to review and update my Cv and cover letter which is under processing.
I would need your advice on what and what to put in place or do,a guy said you haven't even gotten me a security guard job I think this is your best avenue to prove him wrong? Lol
Am not selfish neither are you boss,am posting this here coz of my equal love for humanity and to be of help to others,who knows where we would meet years to come.
What do you think and this time I think I will board the nlng boat,I need directions on how to go about that?
Good work bro , please is there any new openings presently.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Nobody: 11:42am On Feb 22, 2016
chiboy429:
Good work bro , please is there any new openings presently.
I don't know of any sir
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by Mcbenjamin(m): 3:10pm On Feb 22, 2016
Hi guys a brother needs help, I worked with SPDC as a contract staff for one year and the contract was terminated due to oil down fall. I have been out of job since then and I have been applying to other jobs but still nothing yet. I read Materials and Metallurgical Engineering.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by maangel01: 12:08am On Feb 23, 2016
No one is answering me here.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nkiruberyl: 6:54am On Feb 23, 2016
maangel01:
hello great people, i just discovered this thread and i am very please with what our comrade "Scantee" is really doing. More power to your elbow. Let me also key into it Scantee, i have a first degree in Chemistry, an MSc in Process Engineering and an experience in Process control and safety systems (DCS and SIS). Would be glad if you can be of any assistance with any available opportunity.
@maaange - I have a first degree in chemistry too and interested in process engineering. Please where did you study that and what were the requirements? Thanks
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by maangel01: 12:12pm On Feb 23, 2016
nkiruberyl:

@maaange - I have a first degree in chemistry too and interested in process engineering. Please where did you study that and what were the requirements? Thanks
NK i studied in UK and the requirement from my school is just to have at least a 2:1.
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by nkiruberyl: 8:34am On Feb 24, 2016
maangel01:

NK i studied in UK and the requirement from my school is just to have at least a 2:1.

Please was it on scholarship?
Tnx for your response
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by jobgbemi(m): 11:02am On Feb 27, 2016
Please I want to inquire if Novell e-centre is well recognised by most firms. Can I have my HSE, PMP, and Nebosh IGC certifications with them?
Also, I just concluded my National Diploma in Indystrial Safety and Environmental Technology, and I plan on going for HND to continue with Indystrial Safety Technology. Sorry, im a student of Petroleum Training Institute. Please help, do I have any hope of good job in the future with my course? Especually in the Oil and Gas, Manufacturing, Servicing, Construction industries etc....
Re: Oil Workers Zone. by engrsyer(m): 9:52am On Feb 28, 2016
jobgbemi:
Please I want to inquire if Novell e-centre is well recognised by most firms. Can I have my HSE, PMP, and Nebosh IGC certifications with them?
Also, I just concluded my National Diploma in Indystrial Safety and Environmental Technology, and I plan on going for HND to continue with Indystrial Safety Technology. Sorry, im a student of Petroleum Training Institute. Please help, do I have any hope of good job in the future with my course? Especually in the Oil and Gas, Manufacturing, Servicing, Construction industries etc....
Bro that centre is not known and some major firms may not accept such certificate. I'll advise you go to NISP(Nigeria Institute of Safety Professions). Though it is expensive but it is widely acceptable in Nigeria even major firms in Nigeria accepts it. Google more sites and get a good one.

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by jobgbemi(m): 10:53pm On Feb 28, 2016
engrsyer:
Bro that centre is not known and some major firms may not accept such certificate. I'll advise you go to NISP(Nigeria Institute of Safety Professions). Though it is expensive but it is widely acceptable in Nigeria even major firms in Nigeria accepts it. Google more sites and get a good one.

Thanks bro

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Zone. by maangel01: 2:14pm On Feb 29, 2016
[quote author=nkiruberyl post=43200019]

Please was it on scholarship?
Tnx for your response[/quote

No it was self sponsored.

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (64) (Reply)

CBN Salary + Allowances - Who Actually Knows? / Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants / Nigerian Army Recruitment List Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.