Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,127 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims (8516 Views)

Buhari Admonishes CBN Governor For Bringing Jim Ovia To Washington DC Dinner / List Of 12 States Prone To Flood In 2015 - Agency Report / Oshiomole In A Canoe Helping Flood Victims: Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by Dainfamous: 11:48pm On Nov 18, 2012
LAGOS — The on-going efforts at generating funds for the rehabilitation of victims of the recent flood disaster across the country have received a boost from the Chairman of Visafone Telecommunication, Jim Ovia, who has donated N1 billion to the cause.

Besides, the former Managing Director of Zenith Bank promised that Visafone would set up emergency call centres across the nation to curtail future natural disasters like flooding and further assured of the company’s continued determination to effectively give back to the society and make Nigeria a better place for all.

While imploring other corporate organisations not to be left out in the joint task of providing relief for the victims, Ovia said: “We have made our humble donation and we are still looking at other areas of assistance we can render. Plans are afoot towards setting up emergency call centres to mitigate the effect of future occurrence. Since it’s a natural occurrence, we may not be able to stop it but at least, lessen the effect on both the people and our environment through timely action which the call centers can facilitate.”

It would be recalled that in response to the disaster, the Federal Government, as a stop-gap measure, announced the disbursement of N500 million to the highly impacted states, N300million to the moderately impacted ones and N200million to the least impacted states.

Thereafter it set up a 34-man Presidential Committee on Flood Relief and Rehabilitation co-chaired by Aliko Dangote and Olisa Agbakoba which organized in Abuja, a dinner to raise fund for the victims of the flooding during which over N11 billion was realized. Dangote was however the highest donor as he donated N2.5 billion to the flood victims.

Ovia said his donation was informed by the need to support government in the onerous task of resettling the affected citizens who are currently sheltered in different camps in the states.

He explained that the victims having been displaced would be psychologically traumatized as a result of the untold misery and that it is the responsibility of fellow Nigerians to help them in this time of need.

According to him, millions of our compatriots are currently grappling with the reality of having lost their homes, farmlands and sources of livelihood to the flood and our natural instinct is for all to rally round them for succor and to alleviate their suffering.

The Visafone Founder pointed out that since the federal Government had led the path towards the victims’ reintegration, it behoves on other well-meaning Nigerians to follow suit and contribute to the Fund to help their kinsmen at this moment of discomfort.

Meanwhile, Labour and the Organized Private Sector have commended the gesture of Visafone in partaking in the relief efforts describing it a good development which should be emulated by other telecommunication companies.

Henry Okechukwu of the cement sector of the Manufacturer Association of Nigeria (MAN) said the donation by Visafone would go a long way in assisting the Flood Relief Committee realize its mandate of providing succor to the victims.

In his own comment, Tajudeen Abegunde of the Iron and Steel Union lauded Visafone as the only visible telecommunication company during the fund raising saying it only goes to show that Visafone has displayed unparallel patriotism as an indigenous company that is ready to positively affect the people and environment within which it operates.

“It will be good if other telecom companies can follow Visafone’s example and donate generously to alleviate the pains of the victims of the flood disaster”, he stated.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/ovia-donates-n1-bn-to-flood-victims/

2 Likes

Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by Afam4eva(m): 11:56pm On Nov 18, 2012
Good gesture.
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by floriana(m): 6:23am On Nov 19, 2012
The evil man finally does a good deed! Impressive! But what are the strings attached? cos I trust Jim to milk bigger payoff from the system for this. He can never be totally altruistic.
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by Okijajuju1(m): 9:19am On Nov 19, 2012
Did I just hear somebody say EFCC... shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by Abujafood: 9:22am On Nov 19, 2012
Quite commendable as for the foolish person calling him an evil man, I hope you're a saint yourself?

4 Likes

Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by Super1759: 9:23am On Nov 19, 2012
mehn, the money donated to the flood victims by govt and individuals is enough to turn them all to millionares.

1 Like

Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by Freddieyankee(m): 9:25am On Nov 19, 2012
How is this money going to help this victims..... I'm sure this people won't even see pure water from that money
Did I just heard someone screaming new Swiss acc or investment in Dubai
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by eikeem(m): 9:25am On Nov 19, 2012
What can I say? Thanks a lot Jim Ovia.
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by 80million1: 9:28am On Nov 19, 2012
... Speechless ...

Ladies and Gentlemen, please let's give him a round of applause!
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by rocketphysicist(m): 9:42am On Nov 19, 2012
Nice gesture, if every business man can also do this, then the number of peole suffering in nigeria would reduce.
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by victorD3: 9:42am On Nov 19, 2012
Given out crumbs from the much ripped off from Nigerians.
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by fittty(m): 9:45am On Nov 19, 2012
Did u jst say 1 billie ? shocked
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by SELFWORTH: 9:48am On Nov 19, 2012
You do good people call you evil. You don't do anything , they call u indifferent. You do something bad, they blame it on the system.

It goes to show that no matter what you do , you will never please human beings.

3 Likes

Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by SELFWORTH: 9:49am On Nov 19, 2012
floriana: The evil man finally does a good deed! Impressive! But what are the strings attached? cos I trust Jim to milk bigger payoff from the system for this. He can never be totally altruistic.

Evil man
Please tell us what have you done for the flood victims personally ?

3 Likes

Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by LailaIkeji1: 9:51am On Nov 19, 2012
very impressive really. another reason am loving working wt his bank.
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by chinnyonwu(m): 9:56am On Nov 19, 2012
Just imagine giving out 2.5bn like Dangote and still having so much more. Good life
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by nosagold(m): 10:12am On Nov 19, 2012
floriana: The evil man finally does a good deed! Impressive! But what are the strings attached? cos I trust Jim to milk bigger payoff from the system for this. He can never be totally altruistic.

If this man had used that money to purchase a private jet, you wud stil βξ d first person to criticize him, Wђɑ̤̥̈̊† sorta people do we have in this country? Smh

1 Like

Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by sarutobie(m): 10:14am On Nov 19, 2012
victorD3: Given out crumbs from the much ripped off from Nigerians.
Hey mister sadist..when last did you give that beggar on your street those worn out clothes you don't need any longer? When last did you visit those children at the orphanages and put smiles on their face? Hypocrite..

4 Likes

Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by nosagold(m): 10:16am On Nov 19, 2012
Super1759: mehn, the money donated to the flood victims by govt and individuals is enough to turn them all to millionares.

I dey tell you bro.

Btw! Would yu have loved Ť☺ become one of d victims? If yu had knwn dat government and individuals would donate a huge amount of money like they re doing now? Just asking o lol

2 Likes

Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by nosagold(m): 10:18am On Nov 19, 2012
Okija_juju: Did I just hear somebody say EFCC... shocked shocked

Okija my chaiman.....na yur campaign manager βξ this o, hunger don kill ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ since yu knw one pay ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ my money lol
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by GARRIx7(m): 10:20am On Nov 19, 2012
Nice one.......... grin grin grin
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by AIYELE(m): 10:20am On Nov 19, 2012
If Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor is a real Man of God he should sell that private jet bought to him with corrupt Money and use the money to help the flood victims

1 Like

Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by Okijajuju1(m): 10:22am On Nov 19, 2012
nosa gold:

Okija my chaiman.....na yur campaign manager βξ this o, hunger don kill ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ since yu knw one pay ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ my money lol

The number you are trying to call, is incorrect. Please check the number and DONT dail again.. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by texazzpete(m): 10:26am On Nov 19, 2012

Evil man my foot. This N1bn is more than ALL the Prosperity Pastors in Nigeria COMBINED have donated.

But I forget...this is modern day Nigerian Christianity where Pastors tell their flock that to be poor is to be CURSED...forgetting that the 'widow's mite' parable didn't end with the poor widow winning the lottery.
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by nosagold(m): 10:30am On Nov 19, 2012
Okija_juju:

The number you are trying to call, is incorrect. Please check the number and DONT dail again.. Thank you

Chai nwanne na ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ you dey treat like this? After everything I did 4 you? Another election dey come lol
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by Itoroetti(m): 10:35am On Nov 19, 2012
can sumbody every impressed u?human beings are terrible.
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by Super1759: 10:36am On Nov 19, 2012
nosa gold:

I dey tell you bro.

Btw! Would yu have loved Ť☺ become one of d victims? If yu had knwn dat government and individuals would donate a huge amount of money like they re doing now? Just asking o lol
mehn, I for follow ooooo. I don't know why the food no reach my side. Llol
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by boron10(m): 10:37am On Nov 19, 2012
I'm eagerly waiting to see how much churches like redeem, winners, christ embassy,mfm etc will donate to the flood victims.
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 19, 2012
hope the money gets to the victims .I don't trust some people.
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by nosagold(m): 10:44am On Nov 19, 2012
Super1759: mehn, I for follow ooooo. I don't know why the food no reach my side. Llol

Abi o! Atleast even if na 1mil reach yur side, na stil sth o, afterall nor βξ yur papa house dey flood destroy, na yur landlord house lol
Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by Okijajuju1(m): 10:46am On Nov 19, 2012
nosa gold:

Chai nwanne na ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ you dey treat like this? After everything I did 4 you? Another election dey come lol

The number you are calling does not exist on any Nigerian or Foreign network... Please stop calling it.. #Thank You

2 Likes

Re: Jim Ovia Donates N1Billion To Flood Victims by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 19, 2012
Super1759: mehn, the money donated to the flood victims by govt and individuals is enough to turn them all to millionares.

That is if the money doesnt end up in the pockets of those corrupt governors.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Saraki And I Have No Plan To Return To PDP" - Governor Ahmed / INEC Suspends Election In Parts Of Enugu, Kano And Akwa Ibom / Security Tips For Every Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.