Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! (7057 Views)

How Nollywood And Hollywood Almost Killed Me! (+PICS) / Nigeria Is World's Largest Movie Producer / Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by omoge(f): 8:51pm On Apr 20, 2006
Nollywood: World's Third Biggest Film Industry

Quite interesting, an outsider view of what Nollywood is. Forumites, what do ya all think? I personally don't
think Nollywood is all about voodoo.

Quote "Nigeria now has the world's third largest film industry after Hollywood and Bollywood. Most of the movies are dirt cheap, straight-to-video voodoo horror flicks - but millions of fans can't get enough of them. Jeevan Vasagar reports from Lagos"

Here is the link, the article was too long but you can read the write up, happy reading

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1737225,00.html
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by Seun(m): 9:43pm On Apr 20, 2006
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by Badman888(m): 1:38am On Apr 21, 2006
its all about, vodoo the same romantic story and it continue, u see the same actors in the same movie, just like a family acting in different titles, But they re improving hope they become better, day by day
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by zebudaya(m): 3:34am On Apr 21, 2006
Why do we insist on calling our film industry Nollywood it's such an UGLY NAME
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by hotangel2(f): 4:08am On Apr 21, 2006
@ zebudaya, because we wanna be like others which is actually what WE do Best. The N stands for Naija.

Anyways, i think this kinda "AWARD" isn't suprising, since our movie industries come out with Gazillions of movies everyday. If they don't get an award for making good movies, they might as well get one for making the MOST Movies withing two hours.

Nollywood is improving, i give that to them, And i pray they improve more and more. And PLEASE, find more actors and actresses, and Get a fxxcking make-up artist, and a fxcxking good EDITOR!
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by Idekeson(m): 5:18am On Apr 21, 2006
zebudaya:

Why do we insist on calling our film industry Nollywood it's such an UGLY NAME

It really freaks me out each time I see that name "Nollywood"
And it's currently more of a video industry. We still have a long way to go to achieve a film industry status. In Europe and the US these videos are only popular among Africans and mostly available in African markets.
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by gidig(m): 9:20am On Apr 21, 2006
To really appreciate the isses srrounding Nollywood, you really have to examine the kinds of mids behind it.The good thing though is that it creates jobs for people.

The name Nollywood is part of the copy-copy thing you get when originality is hade to implement.I have said this o another thread.The south Africans are doing a great deal of branding their offerings in way that will arose curiousity. I spke of 'Sithengi' and 'design indaba'.Nobody will take you serios if You call yourslef Nollywood.Indioans did not gather to call themselves Bollywood.It was just confered on the(BOmbay + Hollywood)

THe biggest stars acknowledged otside Nigeria are those who project their 'Nigerianess'.Our Home Video indstry needs a lot of creativity but first it is suffering from an identity problem.
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by Badman888(m): 10:30am On Apr 21, 2006
Segun Arinze dosent even like the name Nollywood they should come up with something different
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by gbadex1(m): 3:45pm On Apr 21, 2006
omoge:

Nollywood: World's Third Biggest Film Industry

lmao at this. NollyWood, World's Third Biggest Film Industry? obviously, the Nollywood supporters and bragados couldn't come up with something better so they come up with this bullshit.

according to some HollyWood Magazine (Hollywood Enquirer or Hollywood or something like that) stated that, America's the first, India the second and China the third. Nowhere was Nigeria found.
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by Badman888(m): 6:54pm On Apr 21, 2006
I have always heard Nigeria the third, neva heared china being third
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by gbadex1(m): 8:30pm On Apr 21, 2006
Badman888:

I have always heard Nigeria the third, never heared china being third

lol, well sorry to bust the bubble. Nigeria ain't even anywhere near third cos that's the ugly truth.

The World Standard for producing movies is in celluloid, that's the effing reason why they are called "movies". Nigerians produce "videos".
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by Badman888(m): 8:38pm On Apr 21, 2006
if they re 1st, 3rd last dont care, movies dont trip me, i rather listen to n.a.i.j.a songs
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by gbadex1(m): 8:51pm On Apr 21, 2006
Badman888:

if they re 1st, 3rd last don't care, movies don't trip me, i rather listen to n.a.i.j.a songs

well, they ain't even near the last. they never were even recognized. either ways, naija films/videos are wacker than wack itself
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by chichimma(f): 2:07am On Apr 23, 2006
Idekeson:

It really freaks me out each time I see that name "Nollywood"
And it's currently more of a video industry. We still have a long way to go to achieve a film industry status. In Europe and the US these videos are only popular among Africans and mostly available in African markets.

Nollywood is the 3rd as in distribution spread and productions in the world. As for the name it looks like it is here to stay if they will change it eventually its up to industry. I do not think its such a big deal that they want to relate the industry to others. Further the name its easy to remember and to connect with Nigeria. They could have called it Naija would some of you would be talking more positively about the industry then? I do not think sooo. Instead of constantly lamenting about the name someone can come up with something more fitting for the industry.

Eventually Nollywood will go to another more professional level and meet the standards of  Hollywood, Bollywood and others its only a matter of time, support, financial and technical resources.

Idekeson, which part of Europe are you  talking about because where I stay its even more popular among the South- Americans than the Africans.
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by grafikdon: 12:12pm On Apr 24, 2006
grin grin Deleted!
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by chichimma(f): 1:11am On Apr 25, 2006
The thread of this forum is about the largest movie industry, I was revering to Nollywood as the 3rd Largest and not the 3rd best!!!!!!!!! As for the name Nollywood, it can still change when things improve with the movie industry. I think the revolution of Nollywood its emerging "30days" is a evidence of it. Who knows maybe then a new name will come up! I do not have a problem with the name rather more with the quality and the standards, I kind of got use to it but for the people who do like you Grafikdon, I say start brainstorming of new names for the industry wink
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by grafikdon: 1:19am On Apr 25, 2006
chichimma:

The thread of this forum is about the largest movie industry, I was revering to Nollywood as the 3rd Largest and not the 3rd best!!!!!!!!! As for the name Nollywood, it can still change when things improve with the movie industry. I think the revolution of Nollywood its emerging "30days" is a evidence of it. Who knows maybe then a new name will come up! I do not have a problem with the name rather more with the quality and the standards, I kind of got use to it but for the people who do like you Grafikdon, I say start brainstorming of new names for the industry wink

Yup, it's all about the 3rd largest. I don't know why people mix it up with '3rd best'.

Yay! I have a new name, and it shall be called 'WAZOBIA' or Naijawood, noooo we must get rid of the wood, not cool, hmmmm, maybe Lasgidi. grin
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by chichimma(f): 1:23am On Apr 25, 2006
I prefer the name WAZOBIA its great it says so much more then Nollywood or Naijawood.
Well, lets hope that people in the movie industry will consider the name, especially that the revolution has started.
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by deb(m): 2:00pm On Apr 25, 2006
What a forum! Never knew there are so many like minded Nigerians. Nollyhood or whatever it is called is simply WACK! No creativity, nothing to commend. Its the same old recycled tired faces that you see with similar story lines that you can predict the end correctly. If you need, allow me to use the word, story "predictor" give me a call and after 5mins of watching I will tell 3 likely ways the story will end. my sisters have given me an award for the best story "predictor"

I dont understand why nollyhood cannot emulate the Nigerian music industry., I think we need the likes of Kenny and D1 to transform the Nigerian "movie" industry if at all we have one.

My advice: If you love your kids, dont let them consume too much of home videos else they will grow up to become just an educated but uncivilized citizen. If you doubt me start observing how home video addicts think and behave.

Cartoon Network is enough for your kids.
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by gbadex1(m): 3:40pm On Apr 25, 2006
deb:

What a forum! Never knew there are so many like minded Nigerians. Nollyhood or whatever it is called is simply WACK! No creativity, nothing to commend. Its the same old recycled tired faces that you see with similar story lines that you can predict the end correctly. If you need, allow me to use the word, story "predictor" give me a call and after 5mins of watching I will tell 3 likely ways the story will end. my sisters have given me an award for the best story "predictor"

I don't understand why nollyhood cannot emulate the Nigerian music industry., I think we need the likes of Kenny and D1 to transform the Nigerian "movie" industry if at all we have one.

My advice: If you love your kids, don't let them consume too much of home videos else they will grow up to become just an educated but uncivilized citizen. If you doubt me start observing how home video addicts think and behave.

Cartoon Network is enough for your kids.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin lol, i second that!!!
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by lekanSA: 2:26pm On Apr 28, 2006
I am new to this forum. Here is my own opinion. I think all the Nigerian producers are just wasting their time and wasting their stories. We should just call a spade a spade. They are just making home vidoes and not movies. There is a big diffrence between a home video and a movie. Nigeria film industry has not reached the levy to start creating movies instead we create home videos. It really entails alot to make a movie. The first step they must take is patience, visual effects, color correction & restoration. Another major problem is that they are not using the right softwares. And they should learn on how to seperate image from voice. You can't capture both your image and voice on the same camera. The image should be recorded on a camera and the mic should be connected to a recording device so that the voice can be edited seperately and the image as well. By so doing both the quality of the image and voice can be edited seperately. For example in a scene at a club where music is loud, you will find it difficult to even hear what they are saying and you will be forced to increase the volume of your dvd player but if the voice is recorded seperately it can be edited and the music can be lowered for such scene. For those of you interested in movie visual effects and character animation. Try softwares like Zbrush (www.zbrushcentral.com), Maya, Lightwave, Alias Motions builder, 3d Max. With some of the above mentioned softwares, we can produce stunning effects without anything. Just watch out!!!! grin I'll change the way movies are been produced in Naija.

Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by deb(m): 5:10pm On May 02, 2006
U re d bomb man! where have you been?

Lekan at d moment I'm learning how to use 3Dmax. when I get more familiar with d software I will get intouch wit u. The movie industry needs to change for good. grin
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by lekanSA: 10:15am On May 03, 2006
Hi Deb,

Omo na South Africa I just dey hide my head oooooooo. If things goes well as planned, I shud be leaving for Canada soon 2 study Character Modelling & Animation, Visual Effects and some others stuff at the Vancouver School of film. And after my study I will coming back 2 9ija 2 setup a studio as well and impacting some of the knowledge I must have acquired to others who are interested and less previledge. Omo ur free 2 get in touch. Just PM me if u required some personal infor so that we can talk and look for a way forward 2 better movie making in naija and not home videos
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by deb(m): 1:38pm On Nov 08, 2007
Man nice 2 hear from you again.

I'll be off to Singapore anytime this November to Study Film Making.

When I come back the industry will not be the same. And with people
like you willing team up, man! the sky is just the beginning
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by mekoyo(m): 5:51pm On Nov 08, 2007
Nollywood is trying, they need to put on more efforts and try to make action movies and not the love, love, movies
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by Seun(m): 6:41pm On Nov 08, 2007
I agree with you. There's life beyond romance and domestic drama. I for one would go for comedy.
Re: Nollywood: Largest Movie Industry After Nollywood And Bollywood! by Horus(m): 12:42pm On Apr 01, 2009
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWzAZ6E2sFw[/flash]

This Video is a documentary on Nollywood. It's the world's third largest film industry churning out more than 500 movies a year.What's the secret behind the Nigerian film industry's success?

(1) (Reply)

A Shame On Our Televission Show? / Top 10 Youngest Hollywood Actresses Of 2017 2018 / More About Sylvanus Nkiru

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.