Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:00 AM

Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems (4921 Views)

Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box / Gear Selection Issue On Golf 3 / How To Differentiate Between Golf 2, 3 And 4. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by LAMESKI: 8:40pm On Nov 19, 2012
Hi guys .
i have a golf 3,American specs, 1.8 engine, 1998 model, GTI, automatic transmission. it use Golf2 automatic gearbox. the problem are:
1. anytime i start the engine, i hear some sound at the timing belt , fuel pump and power steering belt side as is if the wheel is touching a metal while rolling.
2. while moving the vehicle, i hear some sound from the gearbox side when i press the throttle harder. but at soft press no sound will come.
3. As soon as i put the gear to 'drive' the car starts vibrating.
4. The car does not move faster than others types i have driven. it sluggishly moves unlike when one drives other types.
5. the gear changes normal, but when the brake is matched it takes time before it start gathering speed. Although this does not happen sometimes.
6. Above all it consumes fuel.
some friends told me it could be the electric carburetor while others say the it could be the gearbox leather or clutch plate.

please, i need your help urgently.

thanks.
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by Nobody: 9:07pm On Nov 19, 2012
LAMESKI: Hi guys .
i have a golf 3,American specs, 1.8 engine, 1998 model, GTI, automatic transmission. it use Golf2 automatic gearbox. the problem are:
1. anytime i start the engine, i hear some sound at the timing belt , fuel pump and power steering belt side as is if the wheel is touching a metal while rolling.
2. while moving the vehicle, i hear some sound from the gearbox side when i press the throttle harder. but at soft press no sound will come.
3. As soon as i put the gear to 'drive' the car starts vibrating.
4. The car does not move faster than others types i have driven. it sluggishly moves unlike when one drives other types.
5. the gear changes normal, but when the brake is matched it takes time before it start gathering speed. Although this does not happen sometimes.
6. Above all it consumes fuel.
some friends told me it could be the electric carburetor while others say the it could be the gearbox leather or clutch plate.

please, i need your help urgently.

thanks.

You've got me really stumped. Your VW Golf III GTI can't be a GTI.

* VW Golf GTI III comes only with 2,0 4 cylinder 8 and 16V engines only.
* VW Golf GTI III comes with multi-point fuel injection only. No "electric carburetor."
* VW Golf GTI III comes only with a 5-speed manual gearbox. No automatic transmission.

Clutch plate?? On a 4-speed VW automatic?? undecided undecided

You've totally lost me here too:

"When the brake is matched it takes time before it start gathering speed."

How can a car gather speed, when you're applying the brakes??
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by LAMESKI: 9:15pm On Nov 19, 2012
Siena:

You've got me really stumped. Your VW Golf III GTI can't be a GTI.

* VW Golf GTI III comes only with 2,0 4 cylinder 8 and 16V engines only.
* VW Golf GTI III comes with multi-point fuel injection only. No "electric carburetor."
* VW Golf GTI III comes only with a 5-speed manual gearbox. No automatic transmission.

Clutch plate?? On a 4-speed VW automatic?? undecided undecided

You've totally lost me here too:

"When the brake is matched it takes time before it start gathering speed."

How can a car gather speed, when you're applying the brakes??

Thanks a lot. I mean when i press the throttle not the brakes;
Its a GT 1.8 engine not a GTI. sorry for that too...
on the clutch plate or leather, please, i need you to put me through in all...
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by Nobody: 9:19pm On Nov 19, 2012
LAMESKI:
Its a GT no a GTI
Thanks a lot. I mean when i press the throttle not the brakes;
on the clutch plate or leather, please, i need you to put me through in all...

Sounds like a slipping transmission. Get your mechanic to take a sample of the ATF. It should be clear red. If it's dark brown, or grey, then I'm afraid your transmission is fit for the morgue.
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by LAMESKI: 9:24pm On Nov 19, 2012
Siena:

Sounds like a slipping transmission. Get your mechanic to take a sample of the ATF. It should be clear red. If it's dark brown, or grey, then I'm afraid your transmission is fit for the morgue.

please, what's the best bet now cry
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 19, 2012
LAMESKI:

please, what's the best bet now cry

Your best bet is to have your car diagnosed properly. The engine IS OBD II compliant.
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by LAMESKI: 9:52pm On Nov 19, 2012
Siena:

Your best bet is to have your car diagnosed properly. The engine IS OBD II compliant.
great thanks, i'll do that!
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by LAMESKI: 10:20am On Nov 20, 2012
one more question:
does using golf2 automatic gearbox on golf three car have any effect on the vehicle?
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 20, 2012
LAMESKI: one more question:
does using golf2 automatic gearbox on golf three car have any effect on the vehicle?

Yes. It's a different gearbox altogether. Rather than create problems for yourself, fit the CORRECT gearbox to your car. The newest VW Golf II would have rolled off the production line in March 1991. So potentially, you're looking at a 24-year-old automatic transmission, with all the inherent issues that come with them.
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by LAMESKI: 3:50pm On Nov 20, 2012
Siena:

Yes. It's a different gearbox altogether. Rather than create problems for yourself, fit the CORRECT gearbox to your car. The newest VW Golf II would have rolled off the production line in March 1991. So potentially, you're looking at a 24-year-old automatic transmission, with all the inherent issues that come with them.

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR RESPONSE. IF THAT'S THE CASE, HOW DO I KNOW THE EXACT TYPE THAT CAN FIT TO IT? I.E. LONG 'GAGE' OR SHORT 'GAGE' AS THEY SAY. REASON BEING THAT ONE IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE OTHER.
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by Nobody: 4:39pm On Nov 20, 2012
LAMESKI:

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR RESPONSE. IF THAT'S THE CASE, HOW DO I KNOW THE EXACT TYPE THAT CAN FIT TO IT? I.E. LONG 'GAGE' OR SHORT 'GAGE' AS THEY SAY. REASON BEING THAT ONE IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE OTHER.

Just buy one from a VW Golf III 1.8 GT like yours. There will be a code on your own gearbox, which you need to match.
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by LAMESKI: 9:15am On Nov 21, 2012
Siena:

Just buy one from a VW Golf III 1.8 GT like yours. There will be a code on your own gearbox, which you need to match.

i dont understand what you meant by JUST BUY ONE FROM A VW GOLF III 1.8. Already it is not possible for me to get the old gearbox. if there is another way i can get the code including the location or any other resource places i can get it, please educate me. and if you an idea how much it will cost too you can tell me....lots of thanks
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 21, 2012
LAMESKI:

i dont understand what you meant by JUST BUY ONE FROM A VW GOLF III 1.8. Already it is not possible for me to get the old gearbox. if there is another way i can get the code including the location or any other resource places i can get it, please educate me. and if you an idea how much it will cost too you can tell me....lots of thanks

I mean, buy a replacement that is from a VW Golf III. Forget about converting and modifying a VW Golf II gearbox to fit and work.
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by LAMESKI: 11:56am On Nov 21, 2012
Siena:

I mean, buy a replacement that is from a VW Golf III. Forget about converting and modifying a VW Golf II gearbox to fit and work.

thanks for your patience. will any golf III automatic transmission work for it regardless of what they call 'short gage' or 'long gage' because i have attempted buying but the 'long gage' or 'short gage' thing is the problem... cry
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 21, 2012
The best way to determine what's fitted to your car, is to look at the data sticker in the boot area. If you photograph it, and paste here I can tell you which is the correct unit.

The sticker is in the spare wheel area, under the carpet.
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by LAMESKI: 1:40pm On Nov 21, 2012
Siena: The best way to determine what's fitted to your car, is to look at the data sticker in the boot area. If you photograph it, and paste here I can tell you which is the correct unit.

The sticker is in the spare wheel area, under the carpet.
I hope this is correct

Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 22, 2012
LAMESKI:
I hope this is correct

That's not the data sticker bro. That's the VIN plate in the engine bay.

The data sticker I'm referring to is in the boot. It's a white papaer sticker, and it would be in the spare wheel well, under the carpet / lining.
Re: Golf 2 Gear Box Used On Golf 3 Problems by LAMESKI: 9:29am On Nov 29, 2012
Siena:

That's not the data sticker bro. That's the VIN plate in the engine bay.

The data sticker I'm referring to is in the boot. It's a white papaer sticker, and it would be in the spare wheel well, under the carpet / lining.
TR

I HAVE TRIED BUT COULDNT FIND IT.IT SEEMS IT HAS BEEN REMOVED. PLEASE WHAT NEXT CAN I DO?!

(1) (Reply)

Evil Automotive Policy Implementation To Commence July 1st / Between A Corolla Sport And A Benz C240 Kompressor Vehicle / Honda Atf Vs Substitute(dextron)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.