Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,152 members, 7,807,508 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN (12117 Views)

Delta Hospital Stockpiles Corpses In The Open (Pictured) / SHAME: Over 50m Nigerians Defecate Openly (Pictured)–UNICEF / Who/unicef Update On Sanitation: More Nigerians Still Defecate In The Open (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by chessguru1(m): 1:06pm On Nov 28, 2012
yyb14: I doubt this
Brother don't. Until u serve in certain places around this country (not just d south west)
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by chessguru1(m): 1:08pm On Nov 28, 2012
lefulefu: na yoruba ppl like to do shiat for outside grin grin grin grin
yoruba no ever dey carry last for it grin grin grin grin
Hmm brother no b so oo. I dey serve for one village 4 delta, nd I don't tire 4 all dis children wey dey shit under my window.
Just can't wait 4 dis service 2 end!!!
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by abdulkayus(m): 1:13pm On Nov 28, 2012
Hehehehe, 9ja oooooo.
Am a Yoruba boi, sincerely speaking we Yorubas carry first in dis act bt has been reducin sha. Ppl build house witout toilet in SW, there is wat dey call enkunle meanin back yard dat serve as shittin ground WTF. Even in Lagos, go to all dos market. Many shops are without toilet, u will c where big women in d evenin lurkin by one side of their shop shittin on a leather. Once u c dem bendin down and coverin theirselves with veil, jus code say na shittin matter be dat. Bt due to education nw, tins are changin.
Bt in hausa land, it dos happen bt nt as frequent as in Yoruba land. Hardly u will a hausa man build house witout toilet, even if d house in jus 1 room. Dey value toilet a lot.
I serve in d East, Anambra state(Njikoka LG). It dos happen bt nt as common as in SW.
By d way am a full blooded Yoruba boi, bt let say d truth and shame d devil.
CIAO

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by chessguru1(m): 1:14pm On Nov 28, 2012
Biafra rep: I thought that open defecation AKA short-put was the exclusive preserve of the Yorubas until i went northwards, Kogi to be precise, OMG it was unbelievable, men, women and children, shamelessly defecating in public while clutching a ridiculous looking plastic kettle they'll use to wash their ass when they are through! It was so disgusting and it still sends jitters down my spine whenever i remember it. Those in Lokoja area don't even bother to build toilets in their houses, they simply empty their bowel into the rivers Niger and Benue. During my service year there, i vowed never to eat anything prepared by them. I thank God for the east such things are rare over there.
=))º°˚˚˚°ºнaĦaнaº°˚˚˚°º‎​=)) the same thing in some villages in bayelsa. Where a lot of dem just dump d shit into d rivers
Oh how I miss the sanctity of my calabar, place where cleanliness is part nd parcel of the ppls culture

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by theripper: 1:18pm On Nov 28, 2012
abdulkayus: Hehehehe, 9ja oooooo.
Am a Yoruba boi, sincerely speaking we Yorubas carry first in dis act bt has been reducin sha. Ppl build house witout toilet in SW, there is wat dey call enkunle meanin back yard dat serve as shittin ground WTF. Even in Lagos, go to all dos market. Many shops are without toiletd evenin
CIAO
Thank u jare my sincere Yoruba brother, Allah bless u. Pls we need more yoruba confessions o make e no b say we dey frame dem up out of bigotry.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by Nobody: 1:21pm On Nov 28, 2012
LMAO...is there anything this UN people dont rank? what a survey!
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by noholdsbarred(m): 1:33pm On Nov 28, 2012
Is it everything that these westerners have ranking for?
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by collins123(m): 1:40pm On Nov 28, 2012
[size=13pt]S.tupid people laughing, AND jubilating throughout the whole thread!!!

Dirty and Proud Nigerians.

SMH[/size]
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by dafman10(m): 1:58pm On Nov 28, 2012
boron10: If south-west Nigeria was a country, the heading would have been 90% of south-west Nigerian population defecate in public. Yoruba people too dirty i swear. Na them cause this one

hahahahahaha. Guy dis na sad truth. When Fela use am sing, na first hand experience make am say "African man dey carry shit"
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by COOLDUN: 2:19pm On Nov 28, 2012
360command: This UN na lie.i for like know the countries ranked in the top 5. What of ghana? In ghana,they build houses without public toilets. If you go to the banks,there are no toilets for the public.if you go to filling stations,no public toilets for the masses.even in normal homes(compound houses),there is no toilet like that.this same thing applies to benin rep,burkina and even my love for ivory coast. Even india poo outside.

Please count Cote D’ivoire out of the mentioned countries, I am a Nigerian, I have been to all the mentioned countries, only Cote D’ivoire that have the best toilet system in West Africa, for example in Abidjan, all the toilets are channeled into the sea, that makes it more better than all the mentioned countries, even if they do, it is not like other countries you mentioned. I know that 4 other countries in the write up, India will top, because it is one of the dirtiest countries in the world I have been to.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by PetroDolla: 2:49pm On Nov 28, 2012
grin
360command: This UN na lie.i for like know the countries ranked in the top 5. What of ghana? In ghana,they build houses without public toilets. If you go to the banks,there are no toilets for the public.if you go to filling stations,no public toilets for the masses.even in normal homes(compound houses),there is no toilet like that.this same thing applies to benin rep,burkina and even my love for ivory coast. Even india poo outside.

Another eeediot losing on NL. Face your front! Wetin concern Ghana in this matter,mo-ron? I didn't see Ghana mentioned in that report. Is that your problem?

Let me tell you something, no petrol filling stations operates without a toilet facility in Ghana and that's the law.And if you know of any bank branch that has no toilet facility, send the details to me and I'll close it down within 24 hours.

Chei, 34 million poooing in the open. mehn, that is even more than the entire populaton of Ghana! Chei, naija we hail ooooh!

Another eeediot losing on NL. Face your front! Wetin concern Ghana in this matter,mo-ron? I didn't see Ghana mentioned in that report. Is that your problem?

Let me tell you something, no petrol filling stations operates without a toilet facility in Ghana and that's the law.And if you know of any bank branch that has no toilet facility, send the details to me and I'll close it down within 24 hours.

Chei, 34 million poooing in the open. mehn, that is even more than the entire populaton of Ghana! Chei, naija we hail ooooh!
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by phoneport(m): 2:51pm On Nov 28, 2012
Why won't people shit shit, when they are being cheated on everyday
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by phoneport(m): 2:51pm On Nov 28, 2012
Why won't people shit shit anywhere they like or wish, when the Government is equally cheating on us all.
Cheating or shitting,
shit na cheat.
Abi.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by Oahray: 3:14pm On Nov 28, 2012
Hahahaha... Had a good laugh. These UN people are ridiculously funny! Exaggerated though.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by Litmus: 3:27pm On Nov 28, 2012
According to a joint UNICEF and World Health Organization report this year, more than 1.1 billion people in the world practice open defecation. The largest number of these people are in [size=14pt]India (626 million), followed by Indonesia (63 million), Pakistan (40 million), Ethiopia (38 million), and Nigeria (34 million).[/size]

http://www.unicef.org/media/media_66390.html

News note
On World Toilet Day, ending open defecation is possible, says UNICEF

NEW YORK, 19 November 2012 — On World Toilet Day, UNICEF says that trends in the past five years allow for cautious optimism that significant progress will be made in decreasing the number of people globally who practice open defecation.

A lack of toilets remains one of the leading causes of illness and death among children. UNICEF estimates that around 2 million children die each year from pneumonia and diarrhoea, illnesses which are largely preventable with improvements in water, sanitation and hygiene.

Community Approaches to Total Sanitation (CATS), now being supported by UNICEF in 50 countries around the world, including crucial ones in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia, have already led to more than 39,000 communities, with a total population of over 24 million people, being declared free of open defecation within the last five years.

UNICEF estimates that with support from governments and other partners, an additional 88 million people now live in communities free of open defecation.

“The beauty of this approach is that solutions are not imposed from the outside,” says Therese Dooley, UNICEF's senior advisor on sanitation, “Communities themselves take the lead and identify their own measures to end open defecation. Only then can it work.”

In South Sudan, which in 2011 became the world’s newest country, already five communities have achieved ‘open defecation free’ status, showing that poverty is not an insurmountable barrier to ending open defecation. The World Bank estimates the poverty rate in the country at 50.9 per cent. While South Sudan does not yet have a ranking on UNDP’s Human Development Index, all indications are that it will be close to the bottom.

In Pakistan, through UNICEF-supported CATS programmes, almost 5,000 villages with a total of 5.8 million people have been declared free of open defecation. Rapid and notable improvements have also been made in Mozambique, Zambia, Mali, Sierra Leone, Malawi and Ethiopia.

CATS aim to make all communities free of open defecation by focusing on social and behaviour change and the use of affordable, appropriate technologies.

The emphasis is on the sustainable use of sanitation facilities rather than the construction of infrastructure, and the approach depends on the engagement of members of the community ranging from individuals, to schools, to traditional leaders. Communities use their own capacities to attain their objectives and take a central role in planning and implementing improved sanitation.

According to a joint UNICEF and World Health Organization report this year, more than 1.1 billion people in the world practice open defecation. The largest number of these people are in India (626 million), followed by Indonesia (63 million), Pakistan (40 million), Ethiopia (38 million), and Nigeria (34 million).

“No aid operation in the world can provide toilets for1.1 billion people,” says Dooley. “They have to do it for themselves—with support. And we've found, in fact, that it is only when they do it for themselves that the changes are achievable and sustainable.”
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by Philolos: 3:33pm On Nov 28, 2012
NL, this is serious SHIT.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by Litmus: 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2012
[img]http://1.bp..com/-N2RMJbvzwkA/UJdJnkLz-II/AAAAAAAABI0/v9EzSxDfyBs/s320/Open+Defecation+in+Mumbai+India.jpg[/img]

Open defecation by an Indian in Mumbai

[img]http://4.bp..com/-NFUlAPp3_nY/UJdJHzFBsPI/AAAAAAAABIs/zaiKGrNK4Ac/s400/Open+Defecation+in+Ghana.jpg[/img]

A Ghanaian practicing open defecation in a storm drain in Accra

[img]http://1.bp..com/-TifNFT5vMdo/TpKkJcVYMCI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/kVseOHRj91M/s1600/babz.jpg[/img]

Indonesian practicing open defecation in a storm drain
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by IfyAwazie(f): 4:24pm On Nov 28, 2012
[quote author=the_ripper]Yorubaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Una do well give us this medal o. More grease to una anus o. U'r rili funny but looking 4 trouble
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by emmatok(m): 5:22pm On Nov 28, 2012
Some peep who live all Their lives on Lagos don't know that this happens all over NIGERIA.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by Touchforfree(m): 6:39pm On Nov 28, 2012
I beg make we dey shit for WC no be our culture for Africa o. Make person wan shit, make he commot all his cloth, come put his 2 hands for ground dey dislodge; Na d correct thing b dat. Which other countries we dey 2gether for d top 5 ?.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by solomonkane(m): 7:31pm On Nov 28, 2012
boron10: If south-west Nigeria was a country, the heading would have been 90% of south-west Nigerian population defecate in public. Yoruba people too dirty i swear. Na them cause this one

I think at this juncture, it is safe to say that you are an accursed product of the unholy union between a diseased phallus and a maggot infested vagina. A ranking that brings the whole nation into ridicule is celebrated by a buffoon like you and liked by your fellow cretins because you claim a certain ethnic group has patent rights over it? So places like Ajegunle, Ihiala, Nyanya and other places in Nigeria are only inhabited by Yourbas abi? The open air defecation which is done everyday in homes, schools, offices, orientation camps across Nigeria e.t.c are done by only Yorubas right? Every single tribe in every single state in Nigeria bar none is guilty of this and its a collective shame on all of us.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by PetDancer(f): 7:39pm On Nov 28, 2012
LWKMD
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by dokunbam(m): 10:04pm On Nov 28, 2012
this non of their business. na so we they do oo. its part of us. Make them carry their eye commot,
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by twigee26: 10:41pm On Nov 28, 2012
That is because they are using Lagos to judge Nigeria, i have Never seen a dead body on the street,or someone defecate on the street until i came to Lagos.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by Nobody: 11:15pm On Nov 28, 2012
solomonkane:

I think at this juncture, it is safe to say that you are an accursed product of the unholy union between a diseased phallus and a maggot infested vagina. A ranking that brings the whole nation into ridicule is celebrated by a buffoon like you and liked by your fellow cretins because you claim a certain ethnic group has patent rights over it? So places like Ajegunle, Ihiala, Nyanya and other places in Nigeria are only inhabited by Yourbas abi? The open air defecation which is done everyday in homes, schools, offices, orientation camps across Nigeria e.t.c are done by only Yorubas right? Every single tribe in every single state in Nigeria bar none is guilty of this and its a collective shame on all of us.

It's a collective shame, but the situation is worse in some areas more than others. No need being so defensive. Perhaps Fashola can focus a bit more on sanitation in Lagos instead of taxing and tolling roads in high brow areas. I think, however, the nomadic cattle rearers might be the sole reason for this rating- they are numerous and just go about dumping their thing wherever. As long as such nomadic animal farming is allowed, we have to be ready to live with this stigma.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 29, 2012

angry angry angry angry angry

What is all these? This is what the UN are researching these days?

What is the world turning into.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by Nobody: 9:23am On Nov 29, 2012
UNA GO CAUSE MAKE DEM SACK PERSON OR MAKE DEM CARRY PERSON GO YABA. C AS I JUST DEY LAUGH 4 OFFICE.
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 29, 2012

YORUBAS- DEFECATORS
HAUSAS- VIOLENCE
IGBOS- ROBBERY
NIGER DELTA-KIDNAPPING/OIL BUNKERING undecided
Re: Nigeria Ranked Among TOP 5 Countries That Defecate In The Open – UN by uzoexcel(m): 4:45pm On Jul 15, 2014
dirty boi angry angry angry angry
nxanadu: open Kaka is very sweet. i still de do am. i love the shot-put. i love it when breeze is entering every corner.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment / Hollande Becomes First European Leader To Visit Ebola-hit Region / Ogun State Tackles Maternal Mortality, Distribute Tricycle Ambulances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.