Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,174 members, 7,807,563 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? (10850 Views)

2015 Elections, Are We Ready And Is Jonathan Really Worth Been Voted For?? / EDITORIAL: Battle Of Ideas: Are We “ready”? / 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 24, 2012
Obinoscopy:

Mr HNosegbe, If I got you right, you are advocating for both state police and a federal police structure with each having their roles well defined. Please if I may ask whoose responsibility will it be to fund the state police? Is it the FG via the monthly allocations or the state govt via their internally generated revenue?

If a state can fund its governor with his retinue of aides, special advisers and assistants, why can't it fund its own policemen? Any state that says it cannot fund its own policemen is implying that it cannot perform its constitutional responsibilities, and does not deserve to be called a state.

Besides, if a state feels it cannot maintain a police service all by itself, it should seek to pool resources with neighbouring states by setting up a joint security fund, setting aside a portion of monthly allocations or even then security votes of the respective governors.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by JaaizTech: 7:55pm On Nov 24, 2012
HNosegbe:
Obinoscopy:
: Some people would opine that a non-native police officer can also learn the ethos, norms and values and adapt to his posting environment.

That may be true, but the question is: Over what period of time? I don't know about you, but I can't estimate how long it will take a Bassey Ekpeyong from Akwa Ibom state to adapt if he is posted to Hadejia in Jigawa state or Biu in Borno state. How long will it take him to understand the terrain, the culture, the way of life and the best areas and avenues to patrol in keeping the community safe and miscreants at bay? "Pretty long time" would be my best guess.

@HNosegbe; contrary to your assertion, many of the police men found in their area of duty, usually understand the language and the culture of the people in that area. Obasanjo is a practical example, He can speak Hausa and Igbo quite well; because as a Military man He was posted all across the country, and He also has quite a number of children whose mothers belong to other tribes.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Katsumoto: 8:00pm On Nov 24, 2012
Other Nairalanders may now post questions. Please review the questions that have already been asked and answered.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by DeepSight(m): 8:01pm On Nov 24, 2012
eGuerrilla: @Deepsight,
The central plank of your argument for the introduction of police forces at state level is predicated on "our cultural and linguistic differences".
Why do you think the outcomes derived from the Nigerian experiment are so different from Tanzania's?

Becuase of the fact that our supposed Federalism derives from such, as explained.

I might add to this the simple fact that in terms of Crime, there are different codes for the North and South, and this is the current legal reality in Nigeria. The Southern States operate the Criminal Code while the Northern State operate the Penal Code in addittion to Sharia Law.

Now how do you expect a Police office who has been arressting people based on the Penal Code to be instantly re deplyed - without and re-training or induction classes - to the South, and have a situation where he will not make false arrests?

I should mention that this is why we have from time to time had some Northern Commissioner's of Police in Lagos who have sought to arrest women for skimpy dressing or wearing jeans.

This ridiculous fact alone seals the argument.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Nov 24, 2012
We hope judges are also on course, reviewing and taking notes, perhaps getting preliminary ratings.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 24, 2012
Katsumoto: Question for HNosegbe

In continuation of my previous question to Deepsight, given the agitation for regionalism/secession in some regions, how do you prevent the State police forces in the same region from being used as a standing army? Either to check a sitting or president or to secede?

Sorry for my late response... I am currently typing from a cyber cafe and I have connection issues here.

Again the issue you have highlighted can be addressed by retaining federal police bureau offices in every state, and embodying checks into the laws that can enable the president to declare a state of emergency should the situation you envisage (i.e an outright declaration of secession) ever occur.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by DeepSight(m): 8:05pm On Nov 24, 2012
Sisi_Kill: TO ALL
Can you please define clearly your understanding of STATE POLICE? Do you define it by GEOGRAPHY or ETHNICITY?

To Deep Sight, you wrote - that are properly empowered to pursue an internal security policy unique and suitable to their culture, linguistics and ethnic as well as social identity.

Are you of the opinion that crime and punishment differ ethnically and culturally? That A Hausa man theft of goats is different from a Yoruba man's theft of the same thing? That how one person is punished should be different from another because of his tribe? And Security - How can that be made to order? I guess your use of the word UNIQUE and SUITABLE is throwing me off a little.

Thanks for this question.

Under the current laws in some states of the North, I should be flooged about a 100 times because as I post, i am nursing a bottle of big stout.

Do you think that it is proper to randomly post police officers across areas of different laws and criminal understanding since that is the case?

I only use this as an example: as far as I am personally concerned, extending Shariah Law to criminal Law is unconstitutional in Secular Nigeria.

Nevertheless this example is suitable to show that it is important that the Police Institution in every location is unique since, the laws being implemented are not always the same.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Nov 24, 2012
Katsumoto: Other Nairalanders may now post questions. Please review the questions that have already been asked and answered.

The debaters can respod to the questions immediately they become visible.

The viewer asking question should also be brief and tell who you are directing the question. If the question is being directed at all the debaters together, pls state so too.

Thanks.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Nov 24, 2012
JaaizTech:

@HNosegbe; contrary to your assertion, many of the police men found in their area of duty, usually understand the language and the culture of the people in that area. Obasanjo is a practical example, He can speak Hausa and Igbo quite well; because as a Military man He was posted all across the country, and He also has quite a number of children whose mothers belong to other tribes.

You use Obasanjo as an example. Obasanjo was an army general, not a policeman. I don't get your point.

Remember that we are advocating a decentralization of the Nigerian police force, not the military.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by SisiKill1: 8:06pm On Nov 24, 2012
HNosegbe:

That may be true, but the question is: Over what period of time? I don't know about you, but I can't estimate how long it will take a Bassey Ekpeyong from Akwa Ibom state to adapt if he is posted to Hadejia in Jigawa state or Biu in Borno state. How long will it take him to understand the terrain, the culture, the way of life and the best areas and avenues to patrol in keeping the community safe and miscreants at bay? "Pretty long time" would be my best guess.
If Bassey Ekpeyong from Akwa Ibom grew up in Jigawa state, can he get into the Jigawa Police force? If yes, what problems do you foresee him encountering, if no. . .why?
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by JaaizTech: 8:07pm On Nov 24, 2012
eGuerrilla: @JaaizTech,

Would your fears be assuaged by a state police force which is representative of a state's ethnic makeup?
I'd say my fears would be compounded. How could they be assuaged Have you ever been hit by an Okada-rider and then He turns around to blame you as soon as his fellow Okada riders arrive at the scene, threatening you with all sorts That's the kind of effect state police would have on non-indigenes, you would become the villain as soon as you can't converse in the native dialect, you would be treated as an outcast. I live in the north and often people laugh at me simply because I don't understand Hausa!!!. An Igbo man can even be worse, they would sell you on the spot. (Apologies to Igbos, just thinking aloud).
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Katsumoto: 8:08pm On Nov 24, 2012
HNosegbe:

Sorry for my late response... I am currently typing from a cyber cafe and I have connection issues here.

Again the issue you have highlighted can be addressed by retaining federal police bureau offices in every state, and embodying checks into the laws that can enable the president to declare a state of emergency should the situation you envisage (i.e an outright declaration of secession) ever occur.

Are you suggesting that the president move troops into such a region? Wouldn't lead to an escalation of hostilities? You have to remember that the police may not be as armed as the army but they will be able to mount some resistance which may lead to loss of life and destruction of property.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by DeepSight(m): 8:09pm On Nov 24, 2012
Sisi_Kill: TO ALL
Can you please define clearly your understanding of STATE POLICE? Do you define it by GEOGRAPHY or ETHNICITY?

To Deep Sight, you wrote - that are properly empowered to pursue an internal security policy unique and suitable to their culture, linguistics and ethnic as well as social identity.

Are you of the opinion that crime and punishment differ ethnically and culturally? That A Hausa man theft of goats is different from a Yoruba man's theft of the same thing? That how one person is punished should be different from another because of his tribe? And Security - How can that be made to order? I guess your use of the word UNIQUE and SUITABLE is throwing me off a little.

Again: for example, in the USA, the Death Penalty does not operate in all states. This has ramifications for the training of a Police Officer in terms of dealing with a potential escappee who may have committed a capital offence.

1 Like

Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Obinoscopy(m): 8:10pm On Nov 24, 2012
HNosegbe:
"Biased" in what way exactly? I don't see the policeman acting as a judge in this case: Besides policemen do not take up cases, they are ASSIGNED cases.

Biased in the sense that he is selective while trying to enforce the law. Don't you think he might be selective on who he arrests and who he doesn't?
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by DeepSight(m): 8:12pm On Nov 24, 2012
Katsumoto: DeepSight
Given that the central plank of your argument rests on the inappropriateness of the political structure in Nigeria (Centralist Vs. True federalism), how do you hope to implement State Police within the current structure without introducing significant additional problems?

I think I made some suggestions in my post above - - - >

Deep Sight:

I say this because regional/ state policing is not a new animal or a strange concept in Federal Democracies across the world and there are well established protocols to be borrowed from if necessary (just as we borrowed our entire presidential system from the United States) in terms of setting clear distinctions of the jurisdictional competence of respective law enforcement agencies. Now this is with respective to legal issues alone: and I say straight away that this is a matter which can be very easily set forth in terms of the enabling laws for regional policing in the first place.

In the United States, although every state has its own Police force, there remains the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and there are clear protocols and regulations governing the jurisdictional competence of the Federal Law Enforcement as well as those of the regions.

Nevertheless, I must point out that the core of this particular objection is not legal; it is rather political: namely the fear the rival politicians may utilize their police forces as instruments of intimidation and coercion against political enemies.

In response to this, I say that a proper legal framework is sufficient to deal with this. All that is required is that the respective regional police forces are sufficiently insulated from individual political control through the establishment of a process for Police appointments and Disengagements through the Police Service Commission, which may be appointed, say, by the House of Assembly of State and the Judicial Service Commission.

This, I must point out, is critical, regardless of whether State Police is implemented or not: there remains a necessity to insulate the Police from Individual Political control in the same way as the INEC, the EFCC, and the CBN should be isolated from individual political control to prevent abuse of power.

As such, in re-evolving regional policing in Nigeria, only a little thinking is required to deal with the possibility of conflict and abuse of powers.

Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 24, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
If Bassey Ekpeyong from Akwa Ibom grew up in Jigawa state, can he get into the Jigawa Police force? If yes, what problems do you foresee him encountering, if no. . .why?

It's a different case if he grew up in Jigawa, because then he'll be able to function effectively. So he should be able to function effectively.

But then what percentage of policemen actually fall into this category?
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Nov 24, 2012
Deep Sight:

Again: for example, in the USA, the Death Penalty does not operate in all states. This has ramifications for the training of a Police Officer in terms of dealing with a potential escappee who may have committed a capital offence.

How about states with more than one culture/tribe and where the belief systems are evenly distributed? - for example, states like: Delta(Urhobo, Isoko, Itsekiri, Igbo), Kogi, Kwara etc.?
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 24, 2012
Katsumoto:

Are you suggesting that the president move troops into such a region? Wouldn't lead to an escalation of hostilities? You have to remember that the police may not be as armed as the army but they will be able to mount some resistance which may lead to loss of life and destruction of property.

No I wasn't suggesting the armed forces.. sending them should only be as a last resort. My point was that the federal police which will be maintained in the states will, among other things, help serve as a deterrent for any such secessionist tendencies.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by DeepSight(m): 8:16pm On Nov 24, 2012
Now, I mentioned, (although I note that it is time past for main arguments) that I wished to introduce some judicial issue. In order not to offend the debate process, I will not do so in extensio, I will only ask the question: How can you have a State Judiciary, a State Department of Public Prosecutions, etc (which we currently have) without the requisite enforcement departments – i.e – Police?

1 Like

Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Demdem(m): 8:18pm On Nov 24, 2012
HNosegbe:

If a state can fund its governor with his retinue of aides, special advisers and assistants, why can't it fund its own policemen? Any state that says it cannot fund its own policemen is implying that it cannot perform its constitutional responsibilities, and does not deserve to be called a state.

Besides, if a state feels it cannot maintain a police service all by itself, it should seek to pool resources with neighbouring states by setting up a joint security fund, setting aside a portion of monthly allocations or even then security votes of the respective governors.

In addition to this or another way, in my opinion, The FG will have to let go of part of the approx 52% that goes to them from the federation account to the various state governments. If state police is eventually in place, the FG has less responsibilities and this should translates to less funds from them to states that have more responsibilities. Besides the federal police with their well defined roles will still be in existence and hopefully more equipped but the states is expected to have more men on ground.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 24, 2012
Obinoscopy:

Biased in the sense that he is selective while trying to enforce the law. Don't you think he might be selective on who he arrests and who he doesn't?

That is why we have checks... where there is such act of unprofessionalism (is that correct?) by a state police officer, the federal police is there to serve as a check. That's the idea.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by DeepSight(m): 8:20pm On Nov 24, 2012
@ All -

I 'd like to clarify that I do not agree with the position canvassed by Hnoseghbe in terms of indigeneship of Police Officers. I speak from a Constitutional and Historic point of view which makes it imperative that every Federating Unit must have its enforecement unit (Police) trained according to its laws and regulations, given that the practices and even laws in the Federating Units are not the same.

This, for me, is a matter of training and residence and does not invoke the indigene/ settler dichotomy.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Odunnu: 8:24pm On Nov 24, 2012
cry angry
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by kunlekunle: 8:24pm On Nov 24, 2012
for the state police creation to be more effective, we need to have a commission that will check their activities (the police) and serve as a buffer station for the public (complaints).
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Nov 24, 2012
Judges, pls start collating your results. At exactly 8:45pm (next 15 minutes), you can start sending them to:

jarusnairaland@yahoo.com

And

oam4j@yahoo.com

Cheddarking should also be rated despite presenting in absentia.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by DeepSight(m): 8:25pm On Nov 24, 2012
Katsumoto:

Again, recall I had said that this only requires a little thinking. There could be limitation of armaments for State Police. We all know for how long the Street Bobbys (Police) in the U.k even have gone without firearms.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 24, 2012
Deep Sight:
@ All -

I 'd like to clarify that I do not agree with the position canvassed by Hnoseghbe in terms of indigeneship of Police Officers. I speak from a Constitutional and Historic point of view which makes it imperative that every Federating Unit must have its enforecement unit (Police) trained according to its laws and regulations, given that the practices and even laws in the Federating Units are not the same.

This, for me, is a matter of training and residence and does not invoke the indigene/ settler dichotomy.

Just to clarify, it is not my intention to limit the recruitment of state policemen to those who originate from such state, and that's why, in my response to Sisi_Kill I said that if a Bassey Ekpeyong is born and bred in Jigawa state and understands the culture of the terrain, he can become a policeman in Jigawa state.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by DeepSight(m): 8:27pm On Nov 24, 2012
Jarus: CHEDDARKING Is unavoidably absent but he sent his taped presentation:

By CHEDDARKING

On the 20th of October this year, Moses Osigwe walked into the Personal Residence of Aliyu Wammako.

Moses as Business Manager of the Gwiwa Business Unit of PHCN was invited by Mr Wammako to discuss the recent dips in power supply to Mr Wammako's Hometown.

Somwhere along the line, Mr Wammako brutally assaulted Moses with a Whip. Poor Moses was beaten Black and Blue, but Mr Wammako was not satisfied- He then instructed the POLICE detail assigned to him to further infict damage to Moses's battered body.

Poor Moses was crushed physically. Mentally. Emotionally.
His Crime? He was the Business Manager of the Gwiwa Business Unit of PHCN in a state where Mr Wammako was the GOVERNOR.

Say hello to State Sponsored Police Brutality with a Personal Twist. Say hello to State Police in Sokoto

On the 21st of January 2010, a team of armed policemen arrested Ikenna Samuelson Iwuoha and whisked him off to the Imo State government house. On that day, the GOVERNOR of Imo State, Ikedi Ohakim alias IKIRI, decided to personally flog Ikenna.
Right there in the governor's office, IKIRI backed by his POLICE goons, stripped Ikenna half-naked and flogged the Living Daylights out of Him. Forget the Passion of the Christ, this was a full-on, one-man-jungle-justice.

Ikenna was completely destroyed.

His Crime? Ikenna Samuelson Iwuoha as an anti-corruption crusader was detailing and publishing IKIRI's systematic looting of Imo State's treasury!
Say Hello Boys and Girls...

This is State Sponsored Police Brutality with a VERY personal twist. My Friends this is the State Police in Imo.

September 20, 2012, an unnamed lady was stripped NAKED by officers of the OSUN STATE SPECIAL POLICE UNIT for a great crime against Humanity.

What was this crime? Only that most grevious crime against God and Man- That most unforgivable of Iniquities:
INDECENT DRESSING
She was dressed Indecently and as so she DESERVED to be exposed NAKED to the whole world.

Step right up folks! Come see for yourselves State Police in Osun State! Can I get an AMEN?

Nigeria is a country where Criminals like James Onanefe Ibori, Diepreye Alamieyesiegha, Lucky Igbinedion, Timipre Sylva, Peter Odili, Chimaroke Nnamani are listed as ex- State Governors.

Nigeria is a country where Schizophrenic Psycopaths like Wammako and Ikiri revel in State Power; Invincible, Untouchable, and of of course 'Un-Annoyable'

Nigeria is a country where State Governors like Rotimi Amaechi, Godswill Ukpabio, and Danbaba Suntai purchase Private Jets with State Funds

Nigeria is a country where Men like Chief Lamidi Adedibu(RIP) backed by his army of NURTW thugs could walk into the House of Assemble and SEIZE the very symbol of Government Authority- the Mace. With IMPUNITY.

I'm not even going to argue against State Police:

I ask YOU esteemed Nairalanders: DO YOU WANT TO THE GIVE THESE MEN MORE POWER?

I ask YOU ALL - ARE WE READY FOR STATE POLICE?

Thank You.

I believe all these scenarios are addressed by the simple suggestions in my posts above.

Tata all, and thanks for the discussion.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by DeepSight(m): 8:28pm On Nov 24, 2012
HNosegbe:

Just to clarify, it is not my intention to limit the recruitment of state policemen to those who originate from such state, and that's why, in my response to Sisi_Kill I said that if a Bassey Ekpeyong is born and bred in Jigawa state and understands the culture of the terrain, he can become a policeman in Jigawa state.

Okay, or if he is trained for their regulations!
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by SisiKill1: 8:28pm On Nov 24, 2012
Deep Sight:
@ All -

This is why I would like the participants to express clearly their definition of State Police.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by DeepSight(m): 8:32pm On Nov 24, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

This is why I would like the participants to express clearly their definition of State Police.

A Constitutional or Legal Establishment empowered to maintain law and Order and Enforce the Laws of the State, period. Has nothing to do wth Indigene/ Settler issues.

We cannot have a State Judiciary and State Department of Public Prosecutions without a State enforecment Unit.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Marriage Mayhem Of Nigeria’s Silver Spoon Kids …why Marriage Is Becoming A Bore / Aisha Buhari Attends North-East Developmment Commission Bill Hearing / Femi Fani-Kayode Reacts To IPOB Women In Detention In Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.