Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,653 members, 7,801,903 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:54 AM

NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? (10845 Views)

2015 Elections, Are We Ready And Is Jonathan Really Worth Been Voted For?? / EDITORIAL: Battle Of Ideas: Are We “ready”? / 1960: Were We Ready For Independence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Nosyke(m): 7:53am On Nov 25, 2012
I sincerely thank all the participants and judges in this debate. You guys did a wonderful job, Kudos!!
Much respect goes t̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̇̇̇ Deepsight for his 'deep' analysis of the support 'for state police'
I was thrilled by the opening notes of Chedarking...simply awesome. These are fundamental issues that need t̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̇̇̇ be addressed , which until then we may have t̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̇̇̇ wait.
I still remain of the opinion that Nigeria , as she is now is not ready yet for state police .
Deepsight mentioned in his post and I quote "We cannot have a State Judiciary and State Department of Public Prosecutions without a State enforcement Unit."
My question is.. t̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̇̇̇ what extent have these individual state judiciary and prosecution team been effective . Haven't they still be used by the State chief Executives to do their selfish biddings?The state judiciary is it not answerable t̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̇̇̇ the Attorney General of the state (correct me if wrong) , who is appointed by the Governor?
Even if the above points were tackled , how about funding? How do we expect in place an efficient 'state police' funded by the Federal government?
Case in point was the Agro between Lagos and the Fg then under Obasanjo, what would have been the fate of the Lagos 'state police' when their monthly funds were wit held, I guess they would have been grounded. Imagine Borno state has its allocation being witheld for that period of time and being absolutely dependent on the Fg for their funds and having the current security situation on ground.I fear t̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̇̇̇ imagine it, how about you? What happens t̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̇̇̇ their police, how will they be tackle their security situation
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by ogbonssam: 10:59am On Nov 25, 2012
The present situation in Lagos state in which other tribes suffer all sorts of brutallity and malhandling from the hands of the state security agents lend its weight to the opponents of state police. State police should only be allowed if we are tired of staying as a country and want to go our separate ways. I rest my case.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Nov 25, 2012
i am really thankful for the useful information you guys put up here,it was really enlightening,educative,broad and very very useful.fortunately my professor gave us a term paper to write critically stating our points objectively on state policing in Nigeria and also to present it in our postgraduate seminar.i got useful tips which i will expand more on.i come to politics section quite regularly but i only come here to learn what i have not really learnt or understood in class and text books i learn ,practical and pragmatic recommendations to political issues arising daily both on a national and international issues.you guys don't know the positive impacts you are making to political science,public administration,law and international relations students.keep up the good work and thanks once again for the in depth analysis smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by bioye(m): 12:28pm On Nov 26, 2012
Kudos to the debaters. Though I am for State Police, I don't think it would automatically work if adopted. However, we can hope that some states would get it right first, and then other states would have to follow.

You see, we need to be weary of the fact that the Police is NOT the only institution that doesn't 'work' in Nigeria. Institutions are being peopled by those who lack merit but political 'connections'; institutions are not properly funded or funds diverted; the labour market is grossly under-educated or under-qualified; and the moral fibre of Nigerians is almost depleted.

We need the few of us who still possess hope and who are bold to help the rest of us who have given up.

Because “Evil only triumphs, when good people keep quiet”
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:22pm On Nov 26, 2012
^^^ A Brilliant debate as expected and yes, there is a need that bears the weight of Insecurity and Civil-Rights Abuses we experience daily. Nevertheless, we must recognize that "Strong Institutions" backed by the Constitution, manned by Patriots and Monitored by the People is a sustainable foundation that must be established in great measure before we can achieve this

1 Like

Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by HyperBase(m): 7:46pm On Nov 26, 2012
Save reasonably. Call 0706 4464 229/0808 8322 411; Attn: MR CHIBUIKE. We undertake sand-filling jobs and supply all types of sand needed for your construction works anywhere within LAGOS, namely, Sharp Sand, Filling Sand, Literite RED SAND including Granites of all sizes, Hardcore and Rubles at very cheap rates.

We also offer tipper services. We have 20tonnes tippers and 30 tonnes tipping trailers for hire.

Thanks.
Re: NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? by SUBMARINE: 10:56pm On Nov 26, 2012
strong points supporting State police 1) makes coup plotting & 2) Compromise by Aboki officers in d fight against BH down South impossible. Strong points levelled against State Police are 1) Political witch hunting 2) Oppression of non-indigenes 3) Disintegration.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Embattled Lagos Speaker To Probe Fashola / Aisha Buhari Attends North-East Developmment Commission Bill Hearing / Atiku Well In Kano-photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.